Rem Prepares to Travel (German/Mandarin)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Rem Prepares to Travel (German/Mandarin)

Postby smallwhite » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Rem wrote:I just can't understand how people can stand around for ages talking about nothing

They don't understand it either. They just don't walk off.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Rem
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English
Learning: German (B2), Mandarin (A2), Czech (beginner)
On hold: French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2837

Postby Rem » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm sat here reflecting on last night.

I think that leaving when I did was the right decision for me. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves except for me and I really didn't want to spoil their fun by staying and being miserable. I did tell them I was leaving, so it's not like I just left without a word.

People always tell me to 'give it a go' and 'you never know, you might like it'. The problem is I have given it a go in the past and I can probably count on one hand the times that I've ended up enjoying it. Of course, you can't tell people that because all they do is say 'well try again, you never know you might like it this time.' :roll:

I feel I should point out that the people I was hanging out with are nice and I have nothing against them personally, it's just that we have completely different interests so it starts to get a bit difficult from the moment we go beyond "Hi, are you today?". Honestly, I think they get as bored with me and my geeky interests as I do talking about soap operas or the latest music from a singer I've never heard of.

So, no more peer pressure, no more attempting to fit in with people who talk over me constantly. I'm going to stick with activities that I enjoy and, if I happen to come across people who share the same interests, then that's great. If not, then at least I'm having fun. :)

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what sports clubs/societies the Uni has when term starts. As long as they don't end up like some of the clubs I've joined in the past (if you don't join in with the drinking/clubbing then they start to leave you out of everything else) then it should be good. :)
2 x
University Degree (years) : 2 / 4
New Practical Chinese Reader Book 2 (chapters) : 13 / 14
Watch Star Trek: TOS in German (episodes) : 29 / 79

Rem
Orange Belt

Postby Rem » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Language Update

Prep Course/University
Our test is coming up soon, so I'm going to spend some time revising for that. The course never did become intensive (and probably won't now with only a week left) but perhaps that's not such a bad thing because it's taken some of the pressure off and at least the classes are being taught entirely in German. :)

We also have to start thinking about which modules we want to take during the semester. I already have a good idea of what I want to do but it also depends on when the classes are and what restrictions there are on what we're allowed to pick. Hopefully I'll be ok with my selections and the times for the classes that I want to do won't clash.

Language 101

I'm tempted to give the language 101 sites another try. I hate their advertising methods (with "once in a lifetime/limited offer" deals practically every week), but maybe it's worth getting past that?
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:47 am

Rem wrote:Language 101

I'm tempted to give the language 101 sites another try. I hate their advertising methods (with "once in a lifetime/limited offer" deals practically every week), but maybe it's worth getting past that?

Their advertisement methods are disgusting, which is all the more unfortunate because it's actually a very good site. Do give it a try. You can always get a separate email account just for that site ;-) (and any other sites that send you too many emails)
0 x

Rem
Orange Belt

Postby Rem » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:19 pm

My adventure in Germany continues with it's up and down cycle. Yesterday I was relatively happy with how I was doing, but today I'm back in a slump after struggling through basic things like shopping and ordering food and making myself look like an idiot. :( Seriously, this is basic stuff that I should be able to do consistently by now but my damn nerves are getting in the way again and I'm a stumbling, bumbling mess who breathes a sigh of relief every time that I get back indoors and don't have to worry about speaking to anyone in German. :(

Oh well, I'm going to sit down, relax and try to enjoy my meal (considering the stress I put myself through getting it).

*kicking myself for today and hoping for better from myself tomorrow*

PS, I'm definitely giving 101 another try. Hopefully it'll be worth seeing past their advertising methods...I guess I'll find out soon.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Just because they are basic, doesn't mean they are always effortless. Sometimes they're damn hard even though you may have done them so many times before. Don't beat yourself up about it. There will be days when all words and any notion of grammar just evaporate from your head, but it's okay. I have those days even in English. Good luck for tomorrow :)
1 x

Rem
Orange Belt

Postby Rem » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Elenia wrote:There will be days when all words and any notion of grammar just evaporate from your head, but it's okay. I have those days even in English. Good luck for tomorrow :)
Yep and those days are a real pain :( but at least they happen less as time goes on. :)

Well the last couple of days have been a bit better and today in particular was a real achievement day for me for several reasons...

1. I managed to ask in German for some items that I needed when I went shopping (something that normally makes me nervous when I do it in English).

2. I was able to have a discussion (about my class options at university) with a tutor almost entirely in German. I just needed a little bit of English when I got stuck.

3. I had a conversation with someone ENTIRELY IN GERMAN! It was a short conversation admittedly, but there was no English from me whatsoever! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
6 x

Rem
Orange Belt

Postby Rem » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:38 am

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. I'm still trying to sort out my uni classes and it's becoming more than a little bit stressful to be honest. :(

I also think I've come to the conclusion that nothing kills your love of a subject faster than having to take a class in it.

Taking two hours to do what could probably be covered in ten minutes...oh joy. :(
0 x

Return to “Language logs”