Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 pm

2019 - Summary of week 28

ES: One hour of scriptorium. Almost finished with New Spanish with Ease (just a few lessons left now).

IT: The last batch of lessons! I read silently this week. After six weeks of reading more or less comprehensible input Italian, I feel somewhat ready to work with native content.

NO: I finished the recent podcast series. One episode which I found particularly interesting was about Norwegian (youth) culture in the 1980s - very similar to Swedish.

PL: FSI - lesson 6. Kim ona jest 9-16. First Year - 2.B. Jak masz na imię?. The ERIC file - lesson 6.

I had coffee with the Amikumu people (Polyglot Gathering visitors over the years). One Swede and one Russian - based in Germany. They have Swedish/English/German/Esperanto/Russian in common.

I really have to brush up my Esperanto. :oops:
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:24 am

2019 - Summary of week 29

ES: I finished the final lessons of Spanish with Ease during 30 minutes of scriptorium.

IT: The native content idea from last week pushed me towards Italiano Automatico. I think I watched/listened to videos about 30 minutes per day, starting with the oldest ones. Sometimes I understand complete sentences, and when I don't, the level of comprehension is still a lot higher than I expected. I will stick to this material for a while. Thanks to all members who have mentioned the channel in their logs.

NO: I started (and finished) a radio drama, again from Nrk.no.

PL: FSI - lesson 7. Kim ona jest 17-26. First Year - 2.C. Nie rozumiem. The ERIC file - lesson 7.

If anyone is wondering what happened with my Danish, it's on maintenance at the moment. SVT are broadcasting a lot of Danish series this summer. I'm following four of them: Herrens veje (season 2), Bedrag (season 3), Badehotellet (season 6) and Sygeplejeskolen (season 1).
9 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:12 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:NO: NO: I finished the recent podcast series. One episode which I found particularly interesting was about Norwegian (youth) culture in the 1980s - very similar to Swedish.

That's because in the 1980's, all the cool kids in Norway were watching Swedish TV :lol:
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:32 am

2019 - Summary of week 30

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico. I watch and listen.

NO: More radio dramas from Nrk.no.

PL: FSI - lesson 8. Random youtube videos. First Year - 2.D. Jesteś pewien?. The ERIC file - lesson 8.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:32 pm

2019 - Summary of week 31

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico. I like this resource a lot.

NO: I finished one radio drama from Nrk.no and started another one, Katakombens hemmelighet, based on the book by Tom Egeland.

You know you know your Norwegian actors and dialects when... you recognize one of the voice actors in a radio drama, and you identify the home town of a singer on television. Devouring native content helps.

PL: FSI - lesson 9. More youtube videos. No First Year this week. The ERIC file - lesson 9.
9 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 pm

2019 - Summary of week 32

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico. Some of the latest files I listened to retold the previous video with faster and more natural language. No problem.

NO: I finished the Egeland radio drama and started (and finished) a true crime.

PL: FSI - lesson 10. More youtube videos. First Year - 2.E. Co to znaczy?. The ERIC file - lesson 10. I also heard the language in a film (and understood a word or two here and there).

During this week's major event (Medieval Week) I heard German, Danish, Hungarian, Chinese and possibly Polish in town. Oops, I almost forgot to say that I now have a two-week vacation (no, no travelling). Hopefully some extra time for languages.

(While I thought it was nearly impossible for me to walk my daily distance a lot faster than 45 minutes, some routes are now down to 39-40 minutes, almost by default. I hope I can keep the momentum. (For those who wonder, it's still "normal" walking, not racewalking.))
12 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:03 pm

2019 - Summary of week 33

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico. I also watched a movie with some Italian in it.

NO: I started and finished a radio drama. I also started watching a new TV series, set in Stavanger. One of the main actors, Per Kjerstad, is from the north and has a northern accent, but I think I've heard him speak in East Norwegian as well, and now this Stavanger-mål. :)

PL: FSI - lesson 11. More youtube videos. First Year - 3.A. Czy nareszcie jesteś gotowa?. The ERIC file - lesson 11.

I hope to be able to squeeze in some reading this coming week.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:26 pm

2019 - Summary of week 34

DE: Yes! I started reading Der Nasse Fisch (by Volker Kutscher) whish has been mentioned in several threads. It's also the novel which the TV series Babylon Berlin was based on.

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico. It seems as if this fellow was at the first Polyglot Gathering in Berlin - there is a short interview with Marlon Görnert / Señor Alemán (that one was recorded in Berlin, during the event), and another with Claudio from Bliu Bliu (some time after the event).

NO: I started and finished another radio drama series, this time a bunch of two-part episodes written by Jørn Lier Horst. Somehow I didn't watch the second episode of Lykkeland, but will manage to catch up.

PL: FSI - lesson 12. More youtube videos. First Year - 3.B. W szkole, na uniwersytecie. The ERIC file - lesson 12. The First Year lessons and the ones from the ERIC file are the ones I like the most, especially the Historia and Narration sections. Longer sentences, no dialogues.

Another day off, then back to work.
4 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:34 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:especially the Historia and Narration sections

If you wish any additional information about Polish history, just let me know ;)
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Ah, in this context, Historia just means "story", which is the dialogue retold. I'll let you know when I'm ready for history. (Next life! ;) )
2 x

Return to “Language logs”