Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

A Welsh Resource for you Jeff: "Pigeon" (From Radio Cymru)

Postby Montmorency » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:32 am

Radio Cymru is a great resource in itself, but one of the things it has is a weekly series of podcasts for learners called Pigeon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrvy ... /downloads

It actually consists of edited highlights of their regular programmes, introduced by someone who tells you (in relatively simple Welsh) what the programme is about.

And on the website, there is selected vocabulary from the highlight, as well as a transcript of the introduction (although not of the whole programme): (See the tab: "Geirfa'r Podlediad")

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiocymru/a ... b4c9f7623d

and if we choose the 1st one as an example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiocymru/e ... 792a84d39f
"Geirfa Pigion i Ddysgwyr: Mehefin 6ed-10fed
Dydd Llun 13 Mehefin 2016, 11:42"

As you will see, in that case, there were 4 programme highlights.

I used to listen to Pigeon in my early days, and then "graduated" to some of just the normal programmes, but I think I'll go back to Pigeon (as well), as the vocabulary is handy, and it also sometimes forces me to listen to things I would not otherwise find for myself. (As I tend to get set in my ways... :) ).

Radio Cymru main page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru
All RC podcasts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radiocymru

Mwynhewch. :)
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks a lot, Montmorency! I haven't had the time to do anything expect Duolingo and Anki so far, but thank God, it's Friday!
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Summary of week 24

I've been lazy this week. The capricious weather is killing me. I doze off whenever there's a chance. When I'm sitting too comfortably while watching TV, when listening to an audiobook/language course (even those when I speaking out loud), when doing Anki reps, when reading in bed, when playing guitar...

Anyway!

Lvl 13 in my Duolingo languages -Irish, German and Spanish.

Another MT CD done: 8.

SSiW - the second vocabulary session (~30 minutes).

FSI Cantonese - nothing new, except reviewing the cards.

Finally another Finnish LR session! Read L1, Read and Listen L2. The duration of CD 7 was ~70 minutes, and with the L1 reading, I think I spent at least 90 minutes, maybe 100.

No Italian.

Another trilingual Da Vinci Code session, ~45 minutes in total.

A lot of reading in Swedish.

Plans for next week - finish MT, maybe finish the first LR round, more Da Vinci Code.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Summary of week 25

Another week of laziness! The first workday ended with a nearly five-hour long session (Irish music), then another three days of work, exercise (saya suka silat 8-) ), the UEFA European Championship (for the first time in my life I've watched an entire football match, in fact several matches - would you believe that!?)...

Duolingo - Level up! (14) in my three languages.

No MT CD. No Italian.

SSiW - the third vocabulary session (~45 minutes).

FSI Cantonese - daily reviews, started adding cards from lesson 7. 47 mature cards. 9953 more to go...

Another Finnish LR session - CD 8 (~70 minutes).

Another trilingual Da Vinci Code session, ~45 minutes in total.

A lot of reading in Swedish and English.

Plans for next week - finish MT, maybe finish the first LR round, more Da Vinci Code.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Summary of week 26

And yet another week of laziness, language-wise. I have been rather active in other fields, though.

My daily sessions with Anki and Duolingo work fine - I'm on a 53 day streak today, so, 51 days at the end of last week. No MT Spanish, no Finnish L-R, no SSiW session, not even one single trilingual session of the Da Vinci Code. I did order some reading material in Irish (Asterix i dTír na Sasanach, and Eachtraí Eilíse i dtír na nIontas), and I did spend some time planning my upcoming holiday, but now (or rather, last week), Oideas Gael told me there was no available accomodation (I also checked with two hostels/B&Bs), so I assume I won't take part in the Language and Culture Summer School this year. On the plus side - no stress before travelling (that's literally killing me).

Short summary, I know, but I had a chaotic week. I have five days off now. Ligfidh mé mo scíth.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:51 pm

So I'm not the only one that gets crazy stressed before traveling? I always feel like everyone around here is so good at traveling and I'm the only one that gets so worked up about it.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 pm

You're not alone! I once took an eleven year long break from travelling to Ireland. Living in the middle of nowhere (well, in a place from where I could never go from A to B without stops), I could spend uncountable hours looking for optimal schedules, comparing fares, and then finding accommodation... Praying to God (or some other entity) that the security staff will be in a good mood and let me bring my fiddle as carry-on baggage... (there's no guarantee that it'll work). I've lost count of the times I've said to myself "Never again" (aloud) the night before travelling. As much as I love Ireland, the music and the Irish language, I hate every second of my preparations for getting there.
3 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:10 pm

So, Jeff, you'll be in Ireland this summer? Where at? If you're looking for courses, have you tried another one that isn't part of Oideas Gael? I know there's a course later in the summer in Waterford, for example. This page has a list of courses.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:08 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Summary of week 26

And yet another week of laziness, language-wise. I have been rather active in other fields, though.

My daily sessions with Anki and Duolingo work fine - I'm on a 53 day streak today, so, 51 days at the end of last week. No MT Spanish, no Finnish L-R, no SSiW session, not even one single trilingual session of the Da Vinci Code. I did order some reading material in Irish (Asterix i dTír na Sasanach, and Eachtraí Eilíse i dtír na nIontas), and I did spend some time planning my upcoming holiday, but now (or rather, last week), Oideas Gael told me there was no available accomodation (I also checked with two hostels/B&Bs), so I assume I won't take part in the Language and Culture Summer School this year. On the plus side - no stress before travelling (that's literally killing me).

Short summary, I know, but I had a chaotic week. I have five days off now. Ligfidh mé mo scíth.

Jeff,

How do your tri-lingual sessions work (when you are able to fit them in that is?).

I have done a little bit of this in the past with Danish, German and English, and was vaguely contemplating the same with Norwegian, German and English....but only in a pragmatic, experimental, but not exactly scientific manner.

So I'd be interested in hearing how other people go about it.

Diolch yn fawr o flaen llaw.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:38 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:So, Jeff, you'll be in Ireland this summer? Where at? If you're looking for courses, have you tried another one that isn't part of Oideas Gael? I know there's a course later in the summer in Waterford, for example. This page has a list of courses.

Most likely not - I had intended to go to Donegal, for the Language and Culture Summer School in Glencolmcille. I started travelling to Ireland again in 2013 for the language reason, and the Oideas Gael atmosphere was something I really liked. But if there's no accomodation, I'm not going. I won't book a flight and not know if I have someplace to stay.

Thanks for sharing the Fulbright list of other course options, though! :) However, my holiday weeks are chaotic already. One week now, work next week, then two more holiday weeks (during which I planned to travel...), and then another week in mid-August (I already have other plans).
0 x

Return to “Language logs”