Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon May 31, 2021 8:32 am

Hey Jeff,

You've had a pretty rough path of late losing two important people in your life. I'm sorry to hear that, Jeff. I hope you and your family and friends can cherish the good moments spent with those dear to you. Keep up the Dutch, hang in there mate!
6 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon May 31, 2021 2:52 pm

IronMike wrote:I have Name of the Rose in Russian and maybe in BCS, but I haven't dared to try reading it. I love it so much in English, maybe I should? Perhaps when I start Russian at the end of the year.

You should! Although Eco tends to be a little complicated, one of the great things about this novel is that it works as two novels on two different levels at the same time. This also means that some parts of the book are more complicated than others. I first read this book when I was 17, in a Norwegian translation. At that time, there were passages in the book that I found completely incoprehensible in my own native language, but I still loved the book for the parts I did understand. It's perfectly possible to read and enjoy it as a crime novel only, if the political, theological and philosohical passages are too complicated. Of course, you should try reading everything, you will probably learn something from it even if you don't understand everything.

I haven't tried it in Russian myself (I'm still at a level where I find it difficult to read pretty much anything in Russian), but I have read it in Italian and listened to the audiobook in French and German.
8 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon May 31, 2021 4:48 pm

Mista wrote:
IronMike wrote:I have Name of the Rose in Russian and maybe in BCS, but I haven't dared to try reading it. I love it so much in English, maybe I should? Perhaps when I start Russian at the end of the year.

You should! Although Eco tends to be a little complicated, one of the great things about this novel is that it works as two novels on two different levels at the same time...

I read it every 8-10 years in English.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Mon May 31, 2021 5:25 pm

IronMike wrote:
Mista wrote:

You should! Although Eco tends to be a little complicated, one of the great things about this novel is that it works as two novels on two different levels at the same time...

I read it every 8-10 years in English.

I read Eco in Spanish and English. I absolutely love it in Spanish, he's one of my favourite authors! I read one of his books in English too. I still liked it a lot, but I thought the translator was too literal. I have never read so many Latin words together in an English book and it made a bit of a weird impression on me.
5 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:17 am

Just to pile on additional praise, I have also read The Name of the Rose in Spanish and will now add it to my German reading list in earnest. It is on a very short but growing list of books to reread. I could see how the first sections of the it might result in a migraine, especially if read too enthusiastically. There are perils to having such strong reading skills in so many languages I suppose. I try not to let it get to my head. Unsurprisingly, the section that Dagane is likely referring to happens to read quite nicely in Spanish and I am sure Italian as well. Not sure what it will be like in German.
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm

2021 - Summary of week 21

Almost in time. I finished Stormvakt. I also started reading a young adult novel called Fripassageraren (by Christina Wahldén). It is said to have steampunk elements. I finished the book on management (Herding cats) and then opened another book from the same pile - Programming and Problem Solving with Java (Nell Dale). Not that I'm into Java (either!), but for some reason it's part of my collection, and sometimes such books are just what the doctor ordered. I'm still reading Rosens namn and the first Drizzt novel Homeland.

NL: More Loyal Books content. I thinks it's time to do something else after the current audiobook.
11 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:44 pm

Sorry for your loss. You have my heartfelt condolences.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 am

Anki alert!

Yesterday when I did my daily reviews, there were no new cards for Portuguese. :shock:

Data from early January:
Unseen: 7594 (cf. 25589 in 2019, 43337 in 2018, 61235 in 2017).

50 new cards per day... Yeah after 152 days, that dreaded number 7594 from January had slowly turned to 0. From now on my Anki sessions won't take that long. And I will never again front-load a deck with thousands of cards.
13 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:57 pm

2021 - Summary of week 22

Almost in time. I'm close to finishing the Drizzt novel. I started reading Michel Bussi's Tiden dödar långsamt (original: Le temps est assassin). Fripassageraren and Rosens namn are still in the mix. I finished the Perl course (188 lessons). I'm now using this material:
https://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/

Inspired by the Java book I'm also reading, I decided to take a look at the Codecademy course. OK, so far. At the end of the work week, I ran into one of the local polyglots (he's currently doing Icelandic).

NL: More Loyal Books content.
10 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:26 pm

2021 - Summary of week 23

What? An update in time? I'm still reading the same three books in Swedish (highly recommended, all of them). On the last day of the week, I finished Homeland and started Exile, i.e. vol 2 of the Drizzt series. I expect nothing but action and magic. The UEFA European Championship has begun. Since a couple of years I've followed it with great interest. Yesterday there was an excerpt with the Ukrainian coach - I was hoping to hear some Ukrainan but didn't. Apparently he grew up in a time when they spoke only Russian. Another excerpt with the Spanish coach. Spain will meet Sweden tonight. Friends say that Spain will win (3 -1).

Last week I found the perfect background music for my programming exercises (Java and Perl - hey, they're languages too).

Terrorizer - World Downfall (1989)
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness (1989)
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick (1991)
Morbid Angel - Covenant (1993)
Morbid Angel - Domination (1995)
Morbid Angel - Entangled in Chaos (1996)
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh (1998)
Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation (2000)
Morbid Angel - Heretic (2003)

Three albums left from the Morbid Angel catalogue.

NL: More Loyal Books content.
16 x

Return to “Language logs”