Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:03 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:A blogger whom I've been following for years had it on their to read-list in yesterday's post. I always find good book suggestions on the blog, but on this list I had already read two (!) titles.
Who is the blogger, or maybe I shouldn't ask?
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Who is the blogger, or maybe I shouldn't ask?

Jamie Todd Rubin - writer (fiction, non-fiction).

After the second installation of the crime lit festival here in town, I somehow got inspired to start writing... (this was in August 2015 - fast forward five and a half years, and I still haven't written a single line of what I had in mind). I think I might have been looking for information about using Google docs/drive for writing, and so it happened that this Jamie Rubin had written a script that could keep track of your daily word count. (For some reason I couldn't manage to install the script back then, but I solved it later.) I kept reading his blog and found it a very enjoyable read - it's not just about writing. Actually, very little is. And I like it.
8 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Who is the blogger, or maybe I shouldn't ask?

Jamie Todd Rubin - writer (fiction, non-fiction).

Thanks, Jeff. I'm going to check him out.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks, Jeff. This is a great find and I love reading these kinds of blogs. There are lots of little pearls of wisdom in there.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:48 pm

2021 - Summary of week 7

Another week of reading. I had to return a 700 pager to the library before I could finish it. I had read about 400 pages, but just couldn't justify cramming the remainder in one evening. Anyway, I'm on the waiting list again. I started a crime novel (translated from Finnish) - Den trogne läsaren (written by Max Seeck). Halfway into to the book, I'm not disappointed. It's written in present tense, which reminds me of the style of Lars Kepler. Stefan Ahnhem is another author in the same puzzling genre. This Max Seeck isn't as gory as them, though. (I just read on a blog that the Swedish translation leaves a lot to be desired. Well, it's good enough for me. I'm in it for the action.)

NL: More short stories from Radioboeken.

ZH: Reborn / 重生, episode 27-28. Done.
14 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 pm

2021 - Summary of week 8

Two books finished. One was the now oft mentioned Refuse to Choose. :) Then I opened Living the Martial Way by Forrest E. Morgan, recommended at a martial arts seminar in 2006 or 2007. I read it back then. The other book I finished was the latest crime novel by Cara Hunter, translated to Swedish - All denna vrede. Also in present tense. With ten minutes left of the CD I was listening to, I started reading Institutet by Stephen King. A lot of my reading is powered by music. Today it was That Extra Mile (2009, Agarita Records) by Texan singer songwriter Rex Foster.

NL: More short stories from Radioboeken. Almost done. :shock:
13 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Had to stop by because you always seem to like my log entries but I'm not always the best about checking other people's logs and I intend to rectify that :) . What martial arts do you/have you practiced?
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 pm

jmar257 wrote:Had to stop by because you always seem to like my log entries but I'm not always the best about checking other people's logs and I intend to rectify that :) . What martial arts do you/have you practiced?

Thanks for stopping by!

Main focus: Wing Chun (since the early 90s) and Silat (since the spring of 2015). A little of everything in between. Mostly Chinese stuff, now that I think of it. I've had an on-and-off relationship with Bagua since maybe 2004. I've flirted with Xingyi, Baji... Taiji. And more.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:19 pm

2021 - Summary of week 9

Not a single book finished. A post in RDearman's log inspired me to have a look at programming languages. Again. Just before the weekend I added some AD&D reading material to the pile. At work I revived some of the Finnish vocabulary I didn't remember I once knew. After hearing of Moses McCormick's passing, I thought a lot about his method. No major change to my routine (yet), nor choice of languages. If I decide to study something new, it will probably be a language which has native speakers in my area. A good opportunity to level up.

This week's reading was powered by the soundtracks from Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King (both by Howard Shore), as well as the ballet Dracula (by Philip Feeney).

NL: I finished the short stories from Radioboeken. Next stop was Loyal Books (formerly known as booksshouldbefree.com). They have classics from Librivox (and elsewhere, I presume?).
11 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:06 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Not a single book finished.

:o :shock:
2 x

Return to “Language logs”