Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:21 am

Intermission - summary of week 22

Another week of daily sessions in Duolingo for Irish, German and Spanish. Current level: 13 (in all languages)

Still three MT CDs left (8, 9 and 10).

SSiW - Lessons 11-23 (yikes!). I generally did one lesson the hour before midnight, then a short tea break (including LLORG etc.), then another lesson after midnight. No pause button, no reviews.

FSI Cantonese - 1167 cards in total. I'm adding content from the drills from lesson six.

No Finnish, but a few sessions with Italian - usually studying for ~30 minutes one day, and shadowing the content for ~30 minutes the next day. The other day I shadowed lesson 4, so next session will be lesson 5.

Not much reading this week.

Daily Anki reviews in eight languages. The Mandarin and Cantonese decks are boosted by AwesomeTTS. I repeat each sentence aloud twice before going to next card. It's my version of the Glossika sentence method. The only times I grade a card "Easy" is if I can write it, and not surprisingly, that's when it has characters with very few strokes - typically numbers and pronouns. A "Good" card is a card I can actually read, with decent tones. This being said, even "Hard" cards can be sent many years into the future, as one I saw today - I won't see it in another six years!
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

Ti wedi gwneud yn dda iawn efo SSiW!

I assume this is Course 1 (rather than Level 1)? You will soon be on to lesson 25, and then the vocabulary sessions. Those are worth doing, but not dwelling over too much.

After that, you have the choice of going on to Course 2, which is a bit of a gear change up, or going to Level 1, which is a slight change of approach. It's entirely up to you, although as you know, course 2 (or level 2) is not free. I don't know what the options look like nowadays if one is not already a paid subscriber - the web site has changed a lot since I started - but hopefully you should find there an option to pay a modest monthly subscription which will give you access to all the material for Welsh. (There are different options for the other languages.). If you don't find that option, you might try emailing their contact address. Last time I looked at that area of the website, it didn't seem as straightforward as it used to be, and it might have changed again since.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:40 am

Yes, Course 1 - 26 lessons in total. Then I'll head towards the vocabulary sessions, and after that I'll probably subscribe and/or proceed with some other material (e.g. TY Welsh).
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:38 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Yes, Course 1 - 26 lessons in total. Then I'll head towards the vocabulary sessions, and after that I'll probably subscribe and/or proceed with some other material (e.g. TY Welsh).

Oh right - 26 - I had forgotten.

I'd definitely recommend giving "Colloquial Welsh" by Gareth King, a look. His other books are also good, for a little further on down the line.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 am

I'm feeling a little envious. After going to the Welsh talk at the Gathering, I have an urge to try it too, but I can't take up too many more languages now if I want to achieve my goals on the ones I've already got. Besides, rdearman will probably smack me again just for mentioning it.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:47 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I stayed in Room 1 for yet another talk, now by Fabien Snauwaert. The Independent Language-Course Publisher was the title. Fabien shared a lot of valueable tips for the aspiring writer on how to build an audience, what to write, how to publish and much more.

How do I get more info on Fabien Snauwert's work? I tried Google but nothing concrete. Nice reports btw. I really hope I can attend the conference next year.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Now that you mention it, relevant G hits are scarce. Most lecturers included some contact info on the last page of their presentation (if they at all used slides), and I'm pretty sure I saw something during Fabien's as well.

Ah, I just saw that he has shared his slides on his Twitter channel - https://t.co/CVuTryo4aV

There is also http://voyageauboutdelalangue.com/ and https://bilingueanglais.com/inscription/
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:51 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I stayed in Room 1 for yet another talk, now by Fabien Snauwaert. The Independent Language-Course Publisher was the title. Fabien shared a lot of valueable tips for the aspiring writer on how to build an audience, what to write, how to publish and much more.

The Science of Successful Blogging - Olly Richards who runs the I Will Teach You A Language blog know a lot about how to create impact and reach a large audience.

These two sound interesting to me, as I'm currently finding the lack of in-depth Irish grammars with practice exercises annoying, and have thought about working on creating one myself. I've also considered doing something like Lingua Latina per se illustrata as well for Irish. If I ever decide to pursue those two goals, I might have to search out those talks. Do you know if they were recorded or will be on YouTube?
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:24 am

Everything was recorded - and according to an email last week, they're looking for volunteers to cut the material. Who knows how long it will take - some of the 2014 lectures wasn't on youtube until last year, and I think some lectures from 2015 appeared just a few months ago.

Anyway, have a look at their channel (or subscribe). And as soon as I have more info, I'll post it here.

Your Irish "Lingua Latina" sounds interesting!
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Summary of week 23

Another week of daily sessions in Duolingo for Irish, German and Spanish. Current level: 13 (in all languages). Downloaded the app to my phone.

Still three MT CDs left (8, 9 and 10).

SSiW - Lessons 24-26 (which means that I "finished" Course 1), plus the first vocabulary session (~45 minutes). Still no pause button, no reviews.

FSI Cantonese - ~1250 cards in total. Nearly finished adding all the content from lesson six.

No Finnish.

Italian - studying vs. shadowing on alternate days. Lesson 6 done.

Not much L2 reading this week except for Saturday and Sunday when I decided to pick up The Da Vinci code again. I have the book in Spanish and French, and I've borrowed the Russian translation from the library. Spanish is a language I can actually use, so it made sense to read that first, then the same passage/page(s) in French, then finish with Russian. ~45-50 pages so far, in three languages and three hours. I haven't read in any of these languages for a long time, so I guess/hope that my reading speed improves.

I created a Portuguese deck in Anki and filled it with the sentence pack from Tatoeba (a lot of duplicates where the only difference is the punctuation - commands ending with a full stop or an exclamation point). I also added the Romanian Tatoeba sentences to my deck in Anki. Mandarin and Cantonese take most of the time (due to the TTS/reading aloud), but my daily reviews for Esperanto are just as many (from ~150 cards and upwards). Using the Find and replace tool, I changed all the ch, cx, sh, sx, ux, jh, jx, hx etc. into proper superscript.

Plans for next week - stick to the schedule! And continue with Finnish LR.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”