Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Decidida wrote:You inspire me to start setting book reading goals every week. I can do that, already, with the help of some bilingual picture books being read on youtube. I just need to schedule that in. Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by. The only "goal" I have is to read in Swedish and English every day. I keep track of what I finish. (No dates or pages, just author/title/language.)
9 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:27 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Decidida wrote:You inspire me to start setting book reading goals every week. I can do that, already, with the help of some bilingual picture books being read on youtube. I just need to schedule that in. Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by. The only "goal" I have is to read in Swedish and English every day. I keep track of what I finish. (No dates or pages, just author/title/language.)

I like the idea of keeping a log of Spanish books that I have read! I could write short reviews in Spanish using the new words I learned while reading the book.

You inspire me. Thanks. Sometimes ... people all around me can be saying what seems the same thing over and over, but because it is the right time or it is said differently, I finally get it.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:2020 - Summary of week 25

Four books finished this week - two in Swedish, two in English.

GA: More Iris Aniar. I really like the host's voice.

I do too, which is why I tend to listen to that podcast more than others, despite needing to listen to as many different speakers as I can at my stage with Irish. I also like that they play songs by Irish artists, which is how I discovered Róisín Seoighe. The played this song by her in one podcast not long ago and I absolutely love it:

3 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:55 am

Cèid Donn wrote:I discovered Róisín Seoighe. The played this song by her in one podcast not long ago and I absolutely love it:

I did not understand a word, but I like that! It is nice that there is text. I need to look for songs with text in Spanish.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 am

Cèid Donn wrote:I also like that they play songs by Irish artists, which is how I discovered Róisín Seoighe.

Thanks for sharing! I remember exactly where I was when I heard that podcast, but I didn't catch the name (I thought the style/voice was a bit similar to Heidi Talbot).
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 am

2020 - Summary of week 26

Two books finished this week - one in Swedish (crime/suspense), one in English - Bringing It All Back Home: The Influence of Irish Music at Home and Overseas (Nuala O'Connor), another of those books which had been collecting dust. I think I purchased it in 2005.

GA: More Iris Aniar. Not many podcasts left now.

PT: More Duolingo and stories. I uttered one sentence in Portuguese at work.

With the recent posts in mind, it turns out that I've read 134 books so far. Remember that some of them have been children's books (~10-15) and comic book albums (~10). Still more than four titles per week on average.

I have a week off now. That could mean a little more time for languages. I have planned some time for music, and one game of Frostgrave.
11 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 pm

2020 - Summary of week 27

I started a few books this week, but I haven't finished them yet. One is the first title in the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci (this is the first time I ever read anything by him). Another is the 6th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I played in my first two music sessions this year, which also means that I played two of my instruments more last week than during the previous six months. Stranger things have happened. I also played another game of Frostgrave. Then I watched the three LotR movies and got inspired (as always) to study Sindarin and Quenya.

GA: I finished Iris Aniar during my Sunday morning walk, and started listening to Bladhaire in the afternoon:
Clár siamsaíochta achan Déardaoin agus Aoine beo ó stiúideo Dhoirí Beaga. Beidh plé ar chúrsaí siamsaíochta, seisiúin cheoil beo sa stiúideo, trácht ar imeachtaí ar fud na tíre, agallaimh le haíonna ar fud an domhain, agus corr-phíosa spóirt freisin.

On another forum, there was a discussion how to pronounce a title of a certain tune. It didn't help that there was a spelling mistake which made the whole title grammatically incorrect.

PT: More Duolingo and stories. For the first time in a long while I was among the top 10 in the Diamond League. Not that it matters.

-----

I really miss the posts of some members who stopped coming here a while ago. Totally unrelated, it feels like I'm dealing with more spammers now than ever before.
18 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Decidida wrote:
Cèid Donn wrote:I discovered Róisín Seoighe. The played this song by her in one podcast not long ago and I absolutely love it:

I did not understand a word, but I like that! It is nice that there is text. I need to look for songs with text in Spanish.
With Jeff's permision, and in case you didn't already know, a search of Youtube for 'musica en espanol con letras' (without the quotes, obviously) will find you some songs in Spanish with lyrics.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:13 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Decidida wrote:

With Jeff's permision, and in case you didn't already know, a search of Youtube for 'musica en espanol con letras' (without the quotes, obviously) will find you some songs in Spanish with lyrics.

I would also recommend Lyrics Training. It’s a website where you use music to help you learn languages by playing games. It’s lots of fun and a great supplement to more traditional study.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:33 pm

2020 - Summary of week 28

I finished two board game related titles, the David Baldacci novel (I just started reading the second volume in the series) and one P.G. Wodehouse. Another game of Frostgrave and finally a music session (today).

GA: More podcasts from Bladhaire. One featured interview+songs with Clann Mhic Ruairí which some readers may remember from an old post.

PT: More Duolingo and stories. They must have added some content to this course (which I finished some years ago). Some skills are greyed out - I've probably never seen them, nor worked on those skills..
7 x

Return to “Language logs”