Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby cjareck » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm

OK. I remember going through some random sections of the big Eric file and there were some stories about a few families living in one flat after the war. This was told by one of the characters to his brother-in-law whom he visited in America. So I thought that "historia" refers to that kind of things. So, if you wish some Polish history or context for such stories, I am ready ;)
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Some additional info:

Historia is part of the First Year lessons (on the lektorek site), just after the dialogue and the glossary. Usually there is some new vocabulary, sometimes the story is a retold version of the dialogue (not always, though, but it's always the same topic).

Narration is part of the big ERIC file (FSI/DLI method), and so far it has been retold versions of the dialogues.

(Now that I think of it, there was a similar direct speech vs. indirect speech approach in my Cúrsa Gaeilge (Linguaphone) - a dialogue and then a real text retelling what happened.)

This indirect speech helps me to get up the icy hill. Exercises and drills don't. My mind wants to relax.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 pm

2019 - Summary of week 35

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico. I'm watching the videos from the beginning and since the last couple of weeks, the videos have had bilingual subtitles (IT/EN). Who knows, maybe there is something like this in more languages.

NO: I started and finished a five-part podcast series about preparing a 72 hour emergency plan. After this, I started a ten-part podcast series on various topics e.g. anger, friendship etc. Still no Lykkeland. Who knows, maybe tomorrow.

PL: FSI - lesson 13. More youtube videos. First Year - 3.C. Interesująca/nudna praca. The ERIC file - lesson 13.
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:33 am

2019 - Summary of week 36

DE: Another reading session in Der Nasse Fisch.

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico.

NO: I finished the ten-part podcast and started another dramatized one about the French revolution.

PL: FSI - lesson 14. More youtube videos. First Year - 3.D. Nie pamiętam. The ERIC file - lesson 14.

Semi-language related activities included watching four films in Cantonese.

Bruce Lee, My Brother - Audio: Cantonese/English Audio Commentary; Subtitles: English
Once Upon a Time in China 1, 2 and 3 - Audio: English (as the first option :o )/Cantonese/Audio Commentary; Subtitles: English/Dutch. :o

Since the advent of the DVD format, I don't think I've ever watched a single film with the audio commentary track selected. Maybe it's worth exploring?
8 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Norwegian? Are you merely practicing your listening comprehension, or do you also intend to learn to speak Norwegian?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Listening for pure enjoyment. I understand a whole lot of Norwegian already, but of course there are vocabulary gaps. Television has helped me getting used to other accents than, say, Oslo-mål.

I don't think I'm going to speak the language unless I have a reason and/or will move to Norway some day. Speaking has never been part of my plan other than "Oh, how cool it would be being able to speak like X from that TV series!".

A friend of mine did the opposite (Norwegian→Swedish), and succeeded.
7 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26 am

Good idea!
I imagine myself to understand Swedish perfectly, but maybe I should start listening to Swedish podcasts? There are a handful of words that are completely different in Swedish and Norwegian. I remember last time I was in Sweden a couple of years ago and a restaurant served "Nötkjött". What the h* is that? I thought. Meat made from nuts? It turns out we've acually got the same word for cattle in Norwegian, "naut", allthough not used that much anymore, and that it is an old word from proto-germanic and ultimately from proto-Indo-European.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:16 pm

tungemål wrote:Good idea!
I imagine myself to understand Swedish perfectly, but maybe I should start listening to Swedish podcasts? There are a handful of words that are completely different in Swedish and Norwegian. I remember last time I was in Sweden a couple of years ago and a restaurant served "Nötkjött". What the h* is that? I thought. Meat made from nuts? It turns out we've acually got the same word for cattle in Norwegian, "naut", allthough not used that much anymore, and that it is an old word from proto-germanic and ultimately from proto-Indo-European.

Yeah, why not - I generally pick material which I'd enjoy listening to anyway, e.g. documentaries, radio dramas, audiobooks... I typically don't choose neverending podcast series (say, a weekly show), but rather something limited.

[fsv. nöt, motsv. d. nød, nor. nöt, naut, isl. naut, mnl. noot, ffris. nāt, fht. nōz (t. dial. nōss, nūss), feng. nēat (eng. neat); av ett germ. nauta-; besläktat med NJUTA o. urspr. betydande: ngt som åtnjutes, egendom; jfr den motsatta betydelseutvecklingen hos FÄ. — Jfr FARNÖTE, UNGNÖTE]

https://www.saob.se/artikel/?unik=N_1091-0253.voQT&pz=3
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:27 pm

2019 - Summary of week 37

DE: I finished Der Nasse Fisch.

IT: More content from Italiano Automatico.

NO: I finished the podcast about the French revolution, listened to a radio drama and then a documentary.

PL: I started working the with the Natural Method from Ioannes Oculus' site. More youtube videos. First Year - 3.E. Bardzo mi miło. The ERIC file - lesson 15.

Another Chinese movie - The House of Flying Daggers.
6 x

Ioannes Oculus
Languages: Polish (N), English (C2), German (C1), Latin (B1), Spanish (A2), Russian (A1), Uzbek (beginner)

Postby Ioannes Oculus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:26 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:PL: I started working the with the Natural Method from Ioannes Oculus' site.

Hi! I'm so excited to see you using it. What do you think about it?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”