Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 pm

2017 - Summary of week 11

More Anki and Duolingo! I've found that more skills have been added to the German tree, so there are more points to earn.

During last week, I mostly read in Swedish and listened to the German audiobook. I was focusing on a lot of other things, including planning my vacation. I haven't done much in my other languages for a very long time now. I have to do something about it. Some logs here are very inspiring, and I really need to rearrange my daily schedule so I can do what I want to do. Many years ago I spend several hours per day on languages. This is not the case right now.

In the world of programming languages, I have now "finished" the Python course at Codecademy, as well as jQuery. I'm currently on ReactJS.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:31 am

2017 - Summary of week 12

Nothing new, except feeling kind of lazy in general. After reading this post in blaurebell's log, I got a lot of inspiration to spend time on Russian. My number one page turner author is Dan Brown, and I have read "The Da Vinci code" (without any "help") and "Angels and demons" (during my trilingual project last summer). I don't want to lose momentum by looking up words in a dictionary, and I don't want to read in front of my computer - though I can definitely see the points in using ebooks+electronic dictionaries(+LWT). So, I started reading some adapted texts from my Russian studies ten years ago. I think I may have read it once or twice since then. It's just a booklet of 48 pages (and accompanying audio, ~71 minutes).

The German audiobook adventure with Phileas Fogg and Passepartout continues, but I lost track somewhere in the Middle East. I have to re-listen to a couple of chapters.

Hell week coming up, but I think I'll survive.
3 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Hell week coming up, but I think I'll survive.
What's "Hell week"?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Ah, that's my label for weeks with a lot of work/suboptimal schedule/external factors interfering with my daily life.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:22 am

2017 - Summary of week 13

It was a Hell week, alright, but I survived. Seriously, when I woke up on Saturday morning it felt as if I had been resurrected. :roll:

I finished the Russian booklet! (Косточка и другие рассказы). I also listened to the recording, and to Aesop's Fables. Moreover, I started a new bilingual project: The Lost Symbol/Утраченный символ. It's the usual strategy - a paragraph up to a page in English, then the same thing in Russian. Who knows how long my inspiration will last.

Duolingo - I levelled up in all languages - lvl 18 in sp/ga/de and lvl 15 in fr/pt/it.

The Anki reps are getting easier. However, my Mandarin deck still gives me a lot of reviews (hundreds per day).

Then I saw the thread about the Youtube class in Latin and got some inspiration to start (again). Habesne pennam? Pennam habeo.

What about Bratislava? I haven't registered yet. I literally hate travelling. I hope I will decide to go, but now I have no idea.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:29 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:It's the usual strategy - a paragraph up to a page in English, then the same thing in Russian.
Do/did you do that for all your languages?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 pm

I quote myself:
I'm not a regular books-in-multiple-languages reader, but among those authors I've read (where the translations are OK and the stories interesting enough) are:
Dan Brown (sv/en/es/fr/ru)
J.R.R. Tolkien (sv/en/de/ga)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (sv/en/ga)
Stieg Larsson (sv/es)

I'm sure they're available in many other languages than those I've read.

My reading skills in Russian aren't what they should be, so that's why I use the English original in tandem. Reading it in Russian without any "help" would take forever (if I chose too look up words one way or the other), or the book would simply be over in no time (i.e. as fast as I "read" Russian) but with worse comprehension. I don't use ebooks or popup dictionaries.
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:16 am

I hate traveling too. I only just signed up for Bratislava myself. I still feel hesitant, but I try not to think about it too much. I was stressed out for months before going to Berlin, but I had a great time and the trip itself actually went easily. I wish it were going to be in Berlin again because it's always easier to travel to a place I've already been. But it really shouldn't be too much worse getting to Bratislava. I am flying to Vienna and then taking the bus to Bratislava. I've signed up to stay a the hotel Dominika because it sounds like is within easy walking distance of the venue. You know, less than a Norwegian mile. :lol: I think the website said it's two km. I'm probably going to spend a little time in Vienna before the Gathering and in Budapest and possibly Vienna again, after. I'm more nervous about that, because nothing is decided yet.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Minor update:
Some surfing led me to an online audiobook version of Утраченный символ - however, all the chapters had been merged into one big file lasting more than 22 hours. Yeah right. I will not listen to that.

A few days of burst reviewing Duolingo have now resulted in a golden Irish tree.

A fairly successful week so far! (and a slightly longer update on Monday)
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:32 pm

2017 - Summary of week 14

I had a lot of spare time this week. In addition to my martial arts, I finished a few courses at Codecademy and Khan Academy.

I've done my best to keep the Irish Duolingo tree golden.

I have now read ~100 pages in The Lost Symbol/Утраченный символ. Still not the optimal way to get into the Russian language, but considering that I don't use ebooks, it's better than nothing. Occasionally I understand a whole sentence.

I saw the thread about the 10 000 SRS challenge and realized that it started nearly one year ago. If I had added more cards, I'm sure I would have completed the challenge, but it just takes too much time entering all information manually.

I finished two books in Swedish - one poetry collection and one thriller.

A new week, and some days off around the upcoming weekend (Easter).
2 x

Return to “Language logs”