Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:23 am

2022 - Summary of week 15

Reading. Anki.

This Thursday night we played Dune: Imperium with the expansion Rise of Ix. It was a while since we played the base set (just after watching the film around October last year). The expansion adds some new game mechanics and a mini-board which replaces/expands one section. It felt like some of the action was lost. Maybe we need another playing strategy? Still, a very fun game.

IT: Loyal Books.
12 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:27 am

2022 - Summary of week 16

What? Two updates in the same day?

Reading. Anki.

This Thursday night we played Mansions of Madness again. Scenario: What lies within. Four stars. Joe Diamond, Carolyn Fern and Lily Chen in a murder mystery. Carolyn was the first to go insane. Then Lily followed. Eventually Carolyn died, but managed to get Lost in Time and Space at the end of her final turn. Investigation incomplete.

During the weekend, the other gaelgeoir and I played a game of Eldritch Horror. Diane Stanley and Akachi Onyele were up against Yog-Sothoth. The first mystery took ages to solve despite being geographically close to us. After the second solved mystery, the Ancient Old One awoke. A lot of bad luck with the dice, and both of us being cursed didn't really help in the end. One encounter each with the AOO. Both times the outcome was: "You are devoured." Five Mythos cards left.

I also applied for some language courses starting in September. Last year my first choice was cancelled. This year? We will find out.

9 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon May 02, 2022 12:39 pm

2022 - Summary of week 17

Reading. Anki.

This Thursday night we played Eldritch Horror. It's been a while since the group played it, and it has been on the request list ever since. Now was the time. Investigators: Jim Culver, Lily Chen, Leo Anderson and Akachi Onyele against Yog-Sothoth.
The first mystery took some 7-8 turns to solve - several rumours kept us busy. Akachi became delayed twice, Jim became detained, Leo became delayed while trying to get rid of one rumour, then became detained. Eventually two mysteries were solved. But Doom crept closer and closer to 0. During encounter phase/mythos phase, bad things happened to Jim, Leo and Akachi. Jim and Akachi ended up with negative health. Leo reached 0 health. And Doom reached 0. Still one ongoing rumour - which already caused our downfall. Mystery #3 had yet to be revealed, and then the final mystery... No chance in h*ll. Seven mythos cards left.

During the weekend, the other gaelgeoir and I spent some time listening to albums with Clann Mhic Ruairí and Aodh Mac Ruairí. I have mentioned the group before. We saw them in Oulu in 2017.

The latest video by Alexander Arguelles inspired me to read in some of my target languages. Finding the right material is important. This resource gave me some ideas:
https://www.lexody.com/blog/category/la ... ces/books/

13 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu May 05, 2022 8:57 am

I saw a Deutche Welle video that I thought might interest you, a Ukranian instrument called a Torban, which looks like a lute with open strings on both the bass and treble sides. The tuning is explained in the video @ 4m16s.

You quite often see a similar looking instrument in Ukranian music videos called a "bandura".
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu May 05, 2022 2:25 pm

DaveAgain wrote:I saw a Deutche Welle video that I thought might interest you, a Ukranian instrument called a Torban, which looks like a lute with open strings on both the bass and treble sides. The tuning is explained in the video @ 4m16s.

You quite often see a similar looking instrument in Ukranian music videos called a "bandura".

Wow! No doubt a relative of the theorbo (that was my first thought, seeing the word).

The torban (Ukrainian: Торбан, also teorban or Ukrainian theorbo) is a Ukrainian musical instrument that combines the features of the Baroque lute with those of the psaltery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torban

The first excerpt could very well have been an Irish slip jig. The second is a slow version of Brian Boru's March (a jig).
4 x

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Thu May 05, 2022 4:55 pm

DaveAgain wrote:I saw a Deutche Welle video that I thought might interest you, a Ukranian instrument called a Torban, which looks like a lute with open strings on both the bass and treble sides. The tuning is explained in the video @ 4m16s.

Wow - that's an absolutely gorgeous instrument! Thanks for showing us!
2 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun May 08, 2022 4:03 pm

2022 - Summary of week 18

Reading. Anki.

This Thursday night we played Mansions of Madness. This time we were five. Hidden depths. Five stars. Rita Young, Joe Diamond, Carolyn Fern, Gloria Goldberg and Finn Edwards in a mystery on a ship. Carolyn got Lost in Time and Space - twice. Finn Edwards interacted with a lot of NPCs and got a lot of clues. Eventually he also got Lost in Time and Space (but only once). Almost there.

I've forgotten to mention that I've been active with coding for a couple of weeks now. I mix material from Codecademy and Freecodecamp. SQL, Java and Javascript.

The best Youtube videos I saw this week were the ones from Liga Romanica. So inspiring! It almost felt like attending a multi-lingual Polyglot Gathering talk.

14 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon May 16, 2022 4:30 pm

2022 - Summary of week 19

Reading. Anki.

The week started as one of the worst since last year. I almost lost a family member. Now the situation is stable. *sigh of relief* Due to these external factors, I didn't join the Thursday Night Game. The others postponed the meetup till next week.

More coding.

Eurovision. Staying elsewhere for some time, I discovered that Nickelodeon broadcast cartoons in Ukrainian during some hours every night.

15 x

LinguaThor
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Spanish (C1), Mandarin (B2), Swedish (B1), Italian (B1), French (B1), Portuguese (A2), Polish (A2)

Postby LinguaThor » Fri May 20, 2022 5:55 pm

I'm a big fan of your Swedish translations/audios on LingQ Jeff, thank you so much!
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat May 21, 2022 5:34 pm

LinguaThor wrote:I'm a big fan of your Swedish translations/audios on LingQ Jeff, thank you so much!

Thanks! Now there are four! (I only knew about three.)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”