Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:41 pm

2019 - Summary of week 3

Time for another late update.

CA: 38th week of Catalan - 38030 reps.

DA: I finished the podcast series and continued with a radio drama. Those Danes really give me interesting content, and it's all comprehensible input. Around 45 minutes per day, 90 minutes on Sundays, Rejseholdet episodes not included (it's not 100% dialogue).

DE: More podcasts from Deutsche Welle's Top-Thema Lektionen. I wonder if there's a similar resource for other languages. (I haven't forgotten Veintemundos and the others I used a year ago, though.)

EN: I finished the audiobook Vanishing Games. What next?

FR: Time for some scriptorium! Up to one hour a day. New French with Ease is almost finished.

GA: More stories from Sgéilíní na Finne. One per day. I listen and read as many times as I need.

GD: 39th week of Gaelic - 38990 reps.

RU: More Tasteofrussian.

ZH: More Mandarinbean. The stories are sorted in three categories - Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced, and then tagged according topic and/or HSK level.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:02 am

You seem to use Scriptorium a lot; what specifically do you think it helps you improve? It's something that I just recently started and I'm curious about your thoughts on it.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:21 am

I posted a link to the Sgéilíní na Finne stories a couple years back on Duolingo, and at the time I noted that if anyone wanted to have these for future use, they'd better copy them in some way. The page is on SMO's old pages from their previous website, and not technically archived--the current main website doesn't even link to these old pages. So they can disappear at any time, whenever the person maintaining SMO's webpages decides to get rid of them for whatever reason. So fair warning. I'm honestly surprised that page is still up--a number of other old pages with Gaelic and Irish learners' content have long been taken down.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:55 am

StringerBell wrote:You seem to use Scriptorium a lot; what specifically do you think it helps you improve? It's something that I just recently started and I'm curious about your thoughts on it.

It's a way to combine several skills and senses at the same time. You see (=read) the sentence, say it out loud (and hear it) while you write it. Even if you only copy text (which is what I do nowadays), it's still a way to "produce" text in a target language (but with training wheels). Some learn Chinese characters by writing them. Some copy music by hand.

I can skim a text fast. I can listen to audio which has been sped up. (I can also zone out while listening.) But writing forces me to slow things down and pay attention.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:14 pm

2019 - Summary of week 4

Time for another late update. Very similar to the previous weeks, but a lot more languages.

CA: 39th week of Catalan - 39080 reps. I also stumbled on enLLULLa't where I found some texts to read and listen to.

CS: Genesis again! Listening-reading.

DA: I finished the radio drama and continued with another one. More Rejseholdet.

DE: More podcasts from Deutsche Welle's Top-Thema Lektionen.

EN: I started listening to the BBC radio drama version of The Lord of the Rings. Great acting!

ES: Scriptorium - New Spanish with Ease.

FR: I finished New French with Ease.

GA: More stories from Sgéilíní na Finne.

GD: 40th week of Gaelic - 40040 reps. I found the resource Beag air Bheag/Little by Little and also finished it - that is, I went through the vocabulary and listened to (and read) each dialogue once.

YUE: Genesis again! Listening-reading.

ZH: More Mandarinbean.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:59 pm

2019 - Summary of week 5

Another late update.

CA: 40th week of Catalan - 39980 reps.

DA: I finished the radio drama and continued with a documentary. More Rejseholdet.

DE: More podcasts from Deutsche Welle's Top-Thema Lektionen. I really like this format! I have to explore the DW website. Maybe there's something similar in (some of) the other languages.

EN: I finished the BBC radio drama version of The Lord of the Rings.

ES: More scriptorium.

GA: More stories from Sgéilíní na Finne. One per day. Sometimes I read, sometimes I listen, sometimes I do both.

GD: 41th week of Gaelic - 40940 reps.

ZH: More Mandarinbean. I ran out of HSK1 and HSK2 stories.
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
DE: More podcasts from Deutsche Welle's Top-Thema Lektionen. I really like this format! I have to explore the DW website. Maybe there's something similar in (some of) the other languages.

Yes! Top-Thema is great. Unfortunately I haven't seen many resources for other languages quite like that, or as good. The closest thing to my knowledge is Litir do Luchd-Ionnsachaidh/An Litir Bheag for Scottish Gaelic, which is an equally excellent resource, although aimed less at current events and more towards topics more specific to the Gaelic-speaking world.
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:The closest thing to my knowledge is Litir do Luchd-Ionnsachaidh/An Litir Bheag for Scottish Gaelic, which is an equally excellent resource, although aimed less at current events and more towards topics more specific to the Gaelic-speaking world.

Yes! I was thinking of using it a while ago, but found this Beag air Bheag/Little by Little which worked pretty well as a kind of warm-up. It'll be my next resource, though! (Promise!)
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:59 pm

I like Beag air Bheag a lot--I used it when I started learning Gaelic and I regularly recommend it as a starting place for new learners. I'm very glad that it was made available on LearnGaelic.net, where the audio and pages can be regularly maintained, saving it from BBC's archive oblivion.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:31 am

2019 - Summary of week 6

Another late update.

CA: 41th week of Catalan - 41030 reps.

DA: I visited Loyalbooks (previously known as: Books should be free) and found Fem uger i ballon (Jules Verne). I also watched a few Rejseholdet episodes.

DE: More podcasts from Deutsche Welle's Top-Thema Lektionen.

GA: I finished Sgéilíní na Finne, i.e. I've listened to each story several times and tried my best to understand the contents with the help of the text. Nearly everything is spelled differently compared to what I'm used to.

GD: 42th week of Gaelic - 41990 reps.

ZH: More Mandarinbean. A couple of HSK3 stories daily.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”