Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Excerpt from lesson 11 of La teorio Nakamura:
(The main characters are at the cinema.)

"Kiun lingvon ili parolas?" Filipeto flustras al Heleno.
"Esperanton."
"Sed ni estas en Anglujo. Kial ili ne parolas la anglan?"
"Ĉar filmoj estas internaciaj! Tiel ili estas spekteblaj ĉie en la mondo."

This is a good example of geekiness which can only be found in an Esperanto course, and it's not the first example where the young Filipo asks (in Esperanto!) what language people around him are speaking. :roll:

Just another 15 lessons left...
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:25 pm

2018 - Summary of week 23

CA: The sixth week of Catalan! 5990 reps so far.

CS: More Anki aloud. I also started adding vocabulary and phrases again.

DE: More news. Yesterday a German speaking tourist asked the way to a camping site. Level up.

EO: More Lernu - 19 lessons done.

ES: Duolingo aloud.

FR: Duolingo aloud.

GD: Seventh week of Gaelic. 7040 reps.

IT: Duolingo aloud, plus 2x45 minutes of shadowing.

LA: Another new language? I found a reasonably new textbook at the library. By chance, I skimmed the Youtube channels I subscribe to and found the one by Evan Millner (which has been mentioned in some other thread).Short FSI-like lessons. The pronunciation used in the videos makes Latin sound like a tonal language. :? Anyway, I like the format. Habesne pilleum? Pilleum habeo. Est mihi pilleus tuus. Estne tibi pilleus meus? Est!

PT: Duolingo and Anki.

RU: More Echo Moskvy.

YUE: Anki sentences aloud. I also added some content from a podcast.

ZH: More VOA Chinese. Time for something else now.

I finished a book about Swedish phonology. Reading the gathering summary by Rdearman got me interested in Setswana. No steps taken yet.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Excerpt from lesson 20:

"Kiel progresas via studado de Esperanto?"
"Kiel vi scias, ke mi ekstudis Esperanton?"
"Kompreneble mi scias. Kaj nun vi devas aliĝi al la Universala Kongreso."
"Kio estas Universala Kongreso?"
"Tio estas la plej granda ĉiu-jara renkontiĝo de esperantistoj. Ĝi okazos ĉi-jare en Belgujo, en Antverpeno."
"Sed mi estas studento. Mi ne havas monon por vojaĝi al Belgujo."
"Vi vojaĝos sen-page. La tempomaŝino moviĝas ne nur tra la tempo, sed ankaŭ tra la spaco.[...]"

A dialogue in Esperanto about the main character learning Esperanto, then the Universala Kongreso is mentioned, and then the time machine...

This must be a little bit similar to learning Latin from textbooks (old or new) that take place in ancient Rome.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 pm

2018 - Summary of week 24

CA: Seventh week of Catalan - 7040 reps.

CS: More Anki aloud. Between 200 and 300 reviews every day.

DE: More news.

EO: More Lernu: 26 lessons = a finished course! Despite its geekiness, it worked as a nice summary of the language. A lot of exercises on all kinds of prefixes, infixes and suffixes. My next plan for the language? I don't know.

GD: Eighth week of Gaelic - 7940 reps. I also listened ot a few songs by Scottish band Runrig and had a look at the lyrics.

IT: Duolingo aloud, plus another 4x45 minutes of shadowing.

LA: Some thirty lessons done, plus a few chapters in the Latin book from the library.

PT: Duolingo and Anki. As stated somewhere else, the sentences come from a Tatoeba deck, and I can easily rush through hundreds of cards in just a few minutes. Tom does this, Tom does that.

RU: More Echo Moskvy.

YUE: Anki sentences aloud. Between 150 and 250 reviews every day.

ZH: More VOA Chinese.

Among the four books I finished this week was Olle Kjellin's "Svensk prosodi i praktiken" which is a no-nonsense manual to get the hang of the intricacies of Swedish prosody. Some may think I'm super-active but I'm really trying to minimize my study time (and correspondingly, to maximize my "lazy time"). The Glossika sessions take ~18 minutes each, and generally I can do the Czech and Cantonese reviews in ~15 minutes each. If I'm going for a walk, that means another 45 minutes of shadowing (or similar). I listen to news while doing other stuff. Not a lot of actual "studying". If I can find a way to juggle sentences from 50languages (with increasing difficulty) during my walks, that would be great. Maybe I'll do something similar to Ari's Chinesepod method.
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:07 pm

2018 - Summary of week 25

CA: Eighth week of Catalan - 8090 reps. It seems I'm almost halfway through the content/reps - for the current level, I think? The end of the progress bar is 20k (though a few days ago it was 10k, maybe they've added content?).

CS: More Anki aloud. The reviews are decreasing now. Somewhere around 250 every day.

DE: More news. Saturday's news had a lot of football, and there was even a Swede predicting the outcome - in Swedish. For a second, I thought I had tuned into the wrong channel. (By the way, the guy was wrong about the result.)

GD: Ninth week of Gaelic - 8990 reps. Similar progress bar, going for 20k.

IT: Duolingo aloud, plus another 2x45 minutes of shadowing. I watched a documentary about blue zones in Italy, and the scientist spoke very clear Italian. It's almost as if I didn't need the Swedish subtitles.

LA: I did a few more lessons, and also finished the Latin book from the library.

PT: Duolingo and Anki. Time for something more serious.

RU: No more Echo Moskvy. I needed something comprehensible input (yeah, right!), so I headed for Dan Brown's Ангелы и Демоны.

TN: Yes, Setswana! I had a look at two of the resources mentioned in several logs, Peace Corps and An Introduction to Spoken Setswana. The lessons are very short which suits me perfectly.

UR: Yes! (Again!) I had a look at what 50languages had to offer for Urdu, and spend some time on the first two-three lessons. I also watched a movie which happened to have some dialogue in the language.

YUE: Anki sentences aloud. This week, there were around 160 reviews every day.

ZH: No more VOA Chinese. I returned to Schaum's Outline of Chinese Grammar and read the example sentences aloud.
8 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 pm

If you’re referring to the progress bar on the Glossika site, it’s meaningless. That’s your current goal or something like that, but before you ever reach it, they move it. It has nothing to do with how far you are in relation to the end of the course or to the next level or anything else as far as I can determine.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:06 pm

OK, that makes sense. Maybe they didn't want to scare me by showing 20k before I had passed 8k. ;) However, I'm told that the system will "know" when it's time level up to A2. Not that it's important, this is just sentence practice.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:20 pm

2018 - Summary of week 26

CA: Ninth week of Catalan - 8990 reps. I sometimes notice misspelled words and inconsistent choice of words.

CS: More Anki aloud. I started adding vocabulary and sentences again.

DE: More news. The daily news nearly always mentions something about the world cup of football. Some Duolingo.

GA: Time to do something! Duolingo.

GD: Tenth week of Gaelic - 9890 reps. It seems like a lot of reps but the number is really based on a limited content (some 60-70 sentences a week?).

IT: Duolingo aloud.

LA: A few more lessons, but not as many as I had planned. :oops: I promise to catch up!

PT: Still just Duolingo and Anki.

RU: Some more Ангелы и Демоны, but not as much as I hoped. :oops: Time to catch up!

TN: Some Setswana, but not enough. :oops: I had a look at the material up to lesson 6-7 (which the study group should focus on for next session).

UR: Pretty much Urdu - I've gone through the whole material from 50languages. This means that I've listened to all 100 lessons once. No reading (as if I could read Urdu script... ;) ). The shorter the sentence, the easier it is to repeat aloud. Essentially it's sentence practice more than anything else. I don't call it shadowing. Plans for next week (=this week): have a lesson on repeat till I "know" it, then next lesson.

YUE: Anki sentences aloud. This week, there were around 160 reviews every day.

ZH: More Schaum's Outline of Chinese Grammar.
5 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:40 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:EO: More Lernu - I plan to finish that course (26 lessons in total, it should only take another two weeks). Something that struck me is that some courses out there have a certain target group in mind: DLI - military service; FSI - diplomats; phrase books - tourists; and so on. (Contemporary) Esperanto courses assume that I'm a young adult who is backpacking and/or eager to join the IJK. In the current course, there's a time machine... (I had the similar feeling about one of the DW courses in German - clearly a time travelling radio drama which could entertain a younger audience.) Are there Esperanto courses out there aimed for, well, the average learner?

I personally never finished an esperanto course due to this, but honestly, the language is so easy that you can jump into the esperanto community with knowledge from about half of a course... I became fluent after completing about 1/2 of Duolingo, 1/4 of Lernu, and then just starting to participate in the esperanto telegram chats with the aid of a decent dictionary. Now I'm trying to get into Esperanto literature :) Hope this helps.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks for the input! It's not that I need a course - or even needed the one I wrote about. I just had a look at it and decided to finish it, and while doing that, I found that it featured a lot of elements I only find in Esperanto material. Hence my question. :)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”