Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:47 pm

2021 - Summary of week 32

I finished one small-town crime novel, Döden går på visning (by Anders De La Motte and Måns Nilsson). On Thursday evening I joined a boardgame group and played one session of Mansions of Madness. It's a cooperative game in the world of Cthulhu.

FR: In jeffers' thread about intermediate podcasts in French, DaveAgain posted a link to a Tolkien podcast. I had a quick listen and while I understood something (during the first minute I listened - impressive, I know...), I searched for a similar thread for beginner level podcasts. Podcasts for French turned up. There, zjones mentioned an A2/B1 series. That level felt just right.

NL: More Loyal Books content. So far no reading in Dutch. I did have a quick look at Grimmstories which is mentioned somewhere in the Dutch resources thread. Later the same week I searched for something and ended up on a page which was on the same site. Apparently it's possible to get the Grimm stories as parallel texts. Example:
https://www.grimmstories.com/language.p ... &l=en&r=nl

Still nothing read in Dutch - although I did bring De dochter van Crusoe (by Jane Gardam) on a trip out of town. I didn't read a single line.

-----

Today I've been a member of this community for six years. Thanks for all the shared wisdom so far.
24 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:44 pm

2021 - Summary of week 33

I finished the book Computer Science (J. Glenn Brookshear) and started another about operating systems. On Thursday evening it was time for boardgames again. This time Space Alert. Four tutorial missions (failure, success, success, failure) and then a dozen of quick paced rounds of Love Letter.

FR: Podcasts from InnerFrench! They run 30 minutes, and I've found transcripts. I like this A LOT. I am so glad I decided to give it a chance. I'm listening and reading at the same time.

NL: More Loyal Books content. And reading! Around 30 minutes per day in De dochter van Crusoe. From a vocabulary point of view, it's a bit too difficult. This being said, I can follow the story pretty OK.

-----

All this recent talk about Listening-Reading has given me inspiration to try it out. For real. But the target language book wasn't available at the library. I'll just have to wait.
13 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:57 pm

You have links to interfrench and transcripts?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:12 pm

Bien sûr, monsieur - voilà:

http://www.innerfrench.com/

Transcripts are available on the site (after registration). They're also available on LingQ.

Hugo also has a channel with some of the podcasts (see playlist InnerFrench). Maybe some of you want to try different speeds.
8 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:FR: Podcasts from InnerFrench! They run 30 minutes, and I've found transcripts. I like this A LOT. I am so glad I decided to give it a chance. I'm listening and reading at the same time.

I've listened to most of the InnerFrench podcasts, some of them several times, but I've always had mixed feelings about it. First of all, the way Hugo constantly raises his pitch at the end of sentences as if he's asking a question is a bit irritating. I think it's something a lot of people do when talking to foreigners, as if to ask "do you understand me?" with every sentence, and it somehow became in ingrained habit for Hugo. But the real killer for me are the recordings he plays of listeners, usually with atrocious accents. I'm also bothered by his attitude towards grammar study. In one episode he is interviewing one of his better students about how she learnt French so well. She said that she likes to study grammar, and began to mention a book by name ("Grammaire progressive d....") but he cut her off saying "pas de publicité".

I listened a lot because there weren't many other options, but fortunately there are now many good podcasts at around the same level as InnerFrench, which also have transcripts for free. I posted a full list here: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17152, but the ones that I find myself listening to the most are Français Authetique, Fluidité, Paris O'Clock, The French Instinct, Sooo French Podcast (I've listened to all five available episodes) and Mankai Your French (I've listened to all 21 available episodes).
12 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:33 pm

jeffers wrote:I've listened to most of the InnerFrench podcasts, some of them several times, but I've always had mixed feelings about it.(...)

Thanks for the heads-up. At this stage, I'm happy being able to follow a 30 minute podcast in a target language. So, right now, this is just what I (didn't know I) needed.

I listened a lot because there weren't many other options, but fortunately there are now many good podcasts at around the same level as InnerFrench, which also have transcripts for free.

Thanks again - I'll have a look at them when I'm done with InnerFrench.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:26 pm

2021 - Summary of week 34

Time for a late update. I finished a Swedish crime novel and then Operating Systems and Middleware. The pile of books is getting higher. On Thursday evening it was time for Mansions of Madness again. We almost won this time.

FR: More podcasts from InnerFrench! I'm surprised that I understand so much of it.

NL: More Loyal Books content. I finished De dochter van Crusoe. Above my level, that's for sure.

-----

Still no Listening-Reading.
13 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:37 pm

2021 - Summary of week 35

Another late update. I finished two Swedish crime novels - one was the third (also latest) one in the Cold Case series by Tina Frennstedt, Skärseld. I added Think Again (by Adam Grant) to the English books. The game we played this week was The Captain is Dead - also slightly based on Star Trek (just like Space Alert a few weeks ago).

FR: More podcasts from InnerFrench.

NL: More Loyal Books content. No reading.
13 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:26 am

2021 - Summary of week 36

Time for a very late update. I finished three Swedish novels - two with a crime theme, then one YA book with a steampunk theme (Kugghjärtat / Cogheart by Peter Bunzl). The game we played this week was Mansions of Madness. Fun as always. Also failure, as always...

NL: More Loyal Books content.

I finally got hold of Harry Potter e la pietra filosofale. If only I had time to some proper LR.
16 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:35 pm

2021 - Summary of week 37

Time for a very late update. I finished two books in Swedish and three in English. One afternoon I had a go at Eldritch Horror, a board game with a Cthulhu theme. Number of players: 1-8, but can play it on your own as well, which is what I did (I barely knew the rules). Later the same week, we played a bunch of games in the group: Fantasy Realms (a card game), a board game (the name escapes me at the moment) named Indigo, Grizzled (a card game in a first World War setting), Love Letter (another card game) and finally Sushi Go (yet another card game).

NL: More Loyal Books content.

Not much time for languages these days (since I'm back at work).
16 x

Return to “Language logs”