Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:03 pm

Enjoy your vacation Jeff!

Also, that approach sounds weird. I also kinda wanna try it and do recommend something similar to it for beginning listening training (though you must have a transcript that you're constantly comparing against). Though I also quickly tell them to move on. It's only to help learners actually be able to parse the words in a normal speed sentence.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks, galaxyrocker!

Yeah, that method still sounds somewhat interesting, almost on a worth-a-try level. 8-) (But the target language ought to have a really straightforward phonology and writing system - it could probably work for, say, Spanish.)

(Incidentally, I just watched the latest video from Olly Richards, about a guy who learned Korean in an immersive setting. At some point, that guy Derek mentioned looking up words he heard the native use. Of course, that's not the same thing as being fed the language through dictation, and I'm sure we've all used a dictionary when we've heard something new.

On a side-note, it would be interesting to hear if anyone here has undergone training at MTC.)
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:47 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
On Tuesday, I met another polyglot on my daily walk. He mentioned that he's just experienced an old-fashioned approach to learn a language. Everyone is a beginner in the language. The teacher reads them a text aloud. They are supposed to write down what they hear.

Did I mention that they don't yet know the language? They don't really understand what they hear.

The teacher's reasoning:
-By the 10th/50th/100th time you hear it, it will be correct.

-----
I remember a Polyglot Gathering talk where the speaker said work on listening, like dictation & shadowing, was of most benefit to beginners, so there is some logic there.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 90#p116190

PS
Enjoy your holiday! :-)
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:13 pm

2021 - Summary of week 31

Two books finished (Ryktet and Computer Networks). And a few more started. Nice vacation so far. At a garden party I had a brief exchange in Spanish. Someone else asked whether the language they speak in Ireland was called Gaelic or Celtic ( :roll: ). That same person mentioned that a Breton musician once had said that the other Celtic language he could understand the best was Scottish Gaelic. (Something I find difficult to believe - they belong to different branches.)

NL: More Loyal Books content. I've also been watching some more Olly Richards videos which inspired me to look for some really easy reading material in Dutch. This is one resource I found:
https://lingua.com/dutch/reading/

Without a membership, you can access four texts for A1, ten for A2, eight for B1 and two for B2.

Maybe the site has been mentioned before.
16 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:47 am

Had the person at the garden party already had a few glasses of wine? People say strange things under these circumstances. At a party a guest asked where I came from and guessed... Morocco. No one sober would have made that guess. I assume he was talking to me, but his eyes were so crossed he was looking at someone else. :lol:
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:20 am

Le Baron wrote:Had the person at the garden party already had a few glasses of wine?

Not at the time of our conversation. :) I just find it somewhat interesting that people are interested in the music from that area, but have no clue about the languages in question. (But when it comes to my forte, there is always a lot of misunderstandings.)

This being said, it could very well be that the Breton musician they referred to had learned Scottish Gaelic (I don't know), and therefore understood it better than Irish. However, taken out of context, it seems very unlikely.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 am

Yes it's possible the musician was familiar with Scottish Gaelic. Folk tend to just repeat things they've heard about languages and their history/relationships to other languages. Or it's guesswork. Not maliciously, just as idle conversation. If you have some knowledge of the subject it can be hard to participate unless you just nod and say: 'yes, of course.'

Quite a lot of people here say to me 'Frisian is closer to English'. With the implication that it will be easier to understand. Well, that's what the linguistic classification tells us, but anyone can see the resemblance to Dutch just by looking at it.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Le Baron wrote:Had the person at the garden party already had a few glasses of wine? People say strange things under these circumstances. At a party a guest asked where I came from and guessed... Morocco. No one sober would have made that guess. I assume he was talking to me, but his eyes were so crossed he was looking at someone else. :lol:

At a reception in Moscow, the Czech defense attache's wife asked my wife, and she was being serious, if America has any trees. (This exchange was in Russian, our only common language, and we all had about the same proficiency, so this wasn't a mistake of translation.) She hadn't been drinking. We still joke about this years later, my wife and I, assuming her naivety was the result of watching Hollywood movies set in Los Angeles. :P
11 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Really though 'any trees'.. :roll: :lol: You have to wonder what goes thorough some people's minds at times.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:21 pm

After mentioning the conversation to the other gaeilgeoir in the area, it struck us that the Breton musician could have been thinking of the Scottish people and their accent in English compared to the Irish people's accent. :?
6 x

Return to “Language logs”