Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks! I'll have a look at Ruby on Rails sooner or later. :) At the moment I'm just doing the free courses they throw at me. I'm fairly new to all this programming stuff and got into it just for fun less than a year ago. Apart from HTML and CSS (which I've known nearly since I started using Internet some twenty years ago), I've only had a brief look at ASP around 2000-2001. Anyway, it's fun. :)

The cold is getting better, buíochas le Dia.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 pm

2017 - Summary of week 45

What's this - an update and the week has barely ended? (In this part of the world, at least.) Yes, this has been decent week for languages without too many things in the way.

Anki: Still 50 new words per day for Esperanto and Portuguese (+ ~250 old cards each as of today). Will it ever end?

Duolingo: Another week with vocabulary that doesn't feel all that familiar. I really don't know how the algorithm works, because every week (it seems!) I'm tested on German sentences like Die Gäste zeigen einem Mann die Küche and Das Baby zeigt einer Frau ein Kleid.

CS: Finally some Czech! (And it was worth the wait.) I grabbed one of the outdated courses from the library - Grundkurs i tjeckiska, and spent a half hour on the first lesson (verbs), and another half hour on the second lesson (nouns). Not my ideal cup of tea, but it was written a long time ago (1966), for slavists at the university. The approach reminds me of the older TY courses, with one grammar concept per lesson. In this textbook, the actual concept is introduced (with tables galore), then a text (thank God!), a word list, and some additional grammar notes. This is probably not a textbook Steve Kaufmann would have liked. Anyway, it feels great to be back.

ES: In another thread (Bex's Spanish log 2016/17), Tofu suggested the Youtube channel Español Automático. So far, I've only watched the short intro clips.

YUE: Another film - Tai Chi Master. I liked this a lot when I saw it the first time(s) some twenty years ago. Not so much now - maybe due to the dialogue which was very much out of sync (I don't remember that it was that bad). Maybe they all just read the lines afterwards (as is said to have been a common practice in HK and Mainland China). Maybe Jet Li did his lines in Mandarin (he's from Beijing) and someone else dubbed him in Cantonese. I don't know.

I reviewed CSS and started reviewing Javascript again. I also had some fun with a couple of Irish tunes in all twelve keys - it's not just moving your hands one step and starting from there - the two-row button accordion is bisonoric which means that a pull gives one note and a push gives another. So any note sequence can have entirely different bellows movements in another key. Doing this in the keys we use in the Western Hemisphere is somewhat similar to going though verb conjugations in a dozen tenses.

I also listened to a 20 minute radio podcast (in Swedish) about polyglots. According to the researcher there are 100 in the world. :roll: Adults can learn languages. Mostly males are polyglots, and it possibly relates to a collecting behaviour. And some were able to learn (some) Chinese in just seven minutes. :roll:
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

2017 - Summary of week 46

Another week when I manage to write a summary in time.

Anki: History repeats itself. The daily dose of cards is more or less the same.

Duolingo: Day streak - 555 (!). I got this sentence again: Das Baby zeigt einer Frau ein Kleid. What's up with the algorithm?

CS: I had a look the third lesson (masculine nouns) and reviewed the first two lessons. I'm not too fond of declension tables.

YUE: Another film - Fist of Legend. This is a 1994 remake of the old Bruce Lee film Fist of Fury. Jet Li teams up with Chin Siu-ho again (who also starred in Tai Chi Master). Lots of fight scenes, plus mainly Cantonese dialogue (other languages featured were English and Japanese). This wasn't too out of sync, and it actually sounded like Jet Li's own voice.

In another thread it was mentioned that the lectures from the latest Polyglot Gathering are now being posted. I had a look at the two Slovak challenge videos, and saw some familiar faces while others were totally new to me. Thanks to my A0 Slovak, my equally weak Czech, possible cognates from Russian plus my language intuition, I could follow some of the presentations.
7 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I also listened to a 20 minute radio podcast (in Swedish) about polyglots. According to the researcher there are 100 in the world. :roll: Adults can learn languages. Mostly males are polyglots, and it possibly relates to a collecting behaviour. And some were able to learn (some) Chinese in just seven minutes. :roll:

Äntligen lyssnade på denna podcast. Det var svårt att tåla men jag klarade det. Bra att veta att Ingemar Söhrmann inte känner sig mindre svensk av att har lärt sig så många andra språk :roll:
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:13 pm

2017 - Summary of week 47

And yet another week when I manage to write a summary in time!

Anki: Nothing new, expect some (politically incorrect) Esperanto words which feel out-of-date. (Who on earth created the Tatoeba deck which I imported?)

Duolingo: No Das Baby-sentence this week, but one with a child being shown a cat. German Dative will haunt me forever (or, as long as I keep doing Duolingo...).

CS: I had a look the fourth and fifth lesson - finally some texts to read. And, as funny as it may sound, I don't think it's difficult to read a Slavic language in Latin script anymore (but for Russian, I prefer Cyrillic).

ZH: No Cantonese this week, but one film in Mandarin - Hero. I remember dozing off the first time I saw it (early 2000s), thought it was great the second time (ten years ago?), and this time I had to stop after ~50 minutes and watch the remaining ~40 minutes another time (=yesterday), since I was literally falling asleep. Lots of sword fights and all that, but I couldn't stay awake. Both my friend and I actually thought it was about to end when we checked the remaining time. We had only seen a little more than half of it, and it felt like hours had passed.

Other than this, not much related to language studies, expect that I noticed that another movie I saw had audio in French, German, Italian and Spanish (and so-so-matching subs).
4 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:2017 - Summary of week 47
ZH: No Cantonese this week, but one film in Mandarin - Hero. I remember dozing off the first time I saw it (early 2000s), thought it was great the second time (ten years ago?), and this time I had to stop after ~50 minutes and watch the remaining ~40 minutes another time (=yesterday), since I was literally falling asleep. Lots of sword fights and all that, but I couldn't stay awake. Both my friend and I actually thought it was about to end when we checked the remaining time. We had only seen a little more than half of it, and it felt like hours had passed.

Dragon Inn -- best "fantasy" (totally unrealistic) Chinese martial arts film ever. Because story.
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks! I see that Donnie Yen is in the movie - he also starred in the previous one (I think that was the first time I heard him speak Mandarin).
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm

2017 - Summary of week 48

Anki: I finally added some new (Cantonese) cards!

Duolingo: Nothing new here. The app keeps challenging me during weekends (10 lingots if I reach 250 XP...).

ES: Chit-chat at work, plus a dream where I came to the rescue in a store where an Iberian customer didn't speak Swedish. I told them in Spanish that I spoke Spanish, code-switched and continued in Portuguese (I think the customer actually was Portuguese). I rarely dream in other languages - and it's obvious that the elements in this dream came from the Fawlty Towers episode I watched earlier that day - the one where an undercover policeman starts speaking Spanish to Manuel.

YUE: No movie this week, but two lessons from CantoneseClass101 (and 76 new cards into Anki).

There was a sale at a second-hand bookstore just a few hundred metres from me - I found three books by Paolo Coelho in Spanish, and one Chinese political novel translated to English. The price? 4 SEK for all of them. (Usually it's 2 SEK each, but I got 50% off.). I also finished reading seven books this week: I started four of them this week and finished each one later the same day (or the day after). Three were finished earlier today. Language-related titles: Making Sense (by David Crystal) and Att översätta är nödvändigt (by Mall Stålhammar).

A new week and a lot of time for languages.
5 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote: I also finished reading seven books this week: I started four of them this week and finished each one later the same day (or the day after).
That is awesome-on-stilts. I need to get back to my books! :-)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:48 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:There was a sale at a second-hand bookstore just a few hundred metres from me - I found three books by Paolo Coelho in Spanish, and one Chinese political novel translated to English. The price? 4 SEK for all of them. (Usually it's 2 SEK each, but I got 50% off.).

I'm incredibly jealous!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”