Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:06 am

2022 - Summary of week 28

Reading. Anki.

No Thursday night game for me this week. I had a couple of days off so I could deal with funeral matters etc. (The others from the gaming group met, and played a community developed scenario for Mansions of Madness.)

I finished watching the Spanish series Amelia - genom kärlek och krig (English: Amelia through love and war), as well as Unsere wunderbaren Jahre (3 x 90 min) and the British crime series Ragdoll (6 x 45 min).

Still a lot of tourists in town.

IT: Loyal Books
12 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:48 pm

2022 - Summary of week 29

Reading. Anki.

This Thursday night we played Mansions of Madness again, also a fan-made scenario: Stress and strain.

Mandy Thompson, Dexter Drake and Amanda Sharpe against... no, no spoilers. Amanda Sharpe got wounded, then Dexter Drake got insane, then Amanda Sharpe got insane as well.... and eventually she couldn't evade the main enemy and was left behind when Mandy Thompson and Dexter Drake fled the scene.

Despite all this - investigation complete.

I watched a Danish TV series called Orkestret (The Orchestra) as well as a bunch of movies available on SVTPlay: Barking Dogs Never Bite (Korean), Lang Historie Kort (Danish), Parasite (Korean), Ramen Shop (Singaporean-Japanese) and Memories of Murder (also Korean).

Still a lot of tourists in town. The other day I heard someone ask a question in what sounded like Mandarin. The response?
-八点半!
Yes, Mandarin.

Yesterday it was drizzling. Since we've had quite a heat wave, this was very welcome. I did my top secret fitness routines in the backyard, and almost drove out a frozen shoulder.

12 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:02 pm

Today, one of the local newspapers had a news item which said that the Esperanto publication Unua libro was published 135 years ago. I had to look it up.
First published in Russian on July 26 [O.S. July 14] 1887, the publication of Unua Libro marks the formal beginning of the Esperanto movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unua_Libro

Spooky timing, because just the other day I mentioned that the only language I've ever read (parts of) the bible is in Esperanto. Maybe it's time to work on the language again... :?
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:56 pm

2022 - Summary of week 30

Reading. Anki.

This Thursday night we played Chrononauts, which is a card game from the same duo who created Fluxx. Each player is a time traveller on a imagined board consisting of cards with important events. Throughout the game, you play cards to change things. What if Titanic didn't...? A change of events creates a paradox. This is fine (unless there are many of them on the board). (To name but one example, I happened to erase all future history after the 1960s to a radioactive wasteland. :shock: ) Each player has a unique identity (with your personal timeline) and a secret mission. With the expansion set we used, one had to complete three goals at some point in the game: seeing "your" timeline on the board, collecting a number of artifacts, and having ten cards on your hand at the end of your turn.

Not much done language-wise this week. The frozen shoulder is no more.

9 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:25 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Not much done language-wise this week. The frozen shoulder is no more.
When I had a shoulder injury, I found some mobility exercises with a stick (umbrella) very helpful (see videos 1-3 on YouTube playlist.).
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:02 am

DaveAgain wrote:When I had a shoulder injury, I found some mobility exercises with a stick (umbrella) very helpful (see videos 1-3 on YouTube playlist.).

Thanks! I saved that playlist for future reference. The first three clips are good. My problem started last Saturday morning. In the afternoon I realised that it hurt even more if I raised my coffee cup. OK, frozen shoulder (the pain was the same as one that lasted nearly six months a few years ago). In the evening I decided to exercise it away. "Hindu" pushups, martial arts routines, stretching, massage and some qigong. On the Sunday morning it felt a lot better. On Monday, even better. On Wednesday, just a fraction of the Saturday pain, and only if the arm was completely stretched out, horizontally, fist in vertical position. Today - Sunday - nothing wrong.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:32 am

Glad to hear your shoulder feels much better, Jeff! It sounds like you've settled on a set of exercises, stretches, and therapeutic routines that work well for you. I suffered a rotator cuff injury a few years back and it still gives me gyp from time to time, most likely aggravated by the more intense aspects of daily martial arts training (e.g., in karate, ngo cho, arnis). I'm trying out different shoulder stretches at the moment to see what works best, with a view to adding some light weight-based exercises later. If you'd like share notes, feel free to send me a PM. :)
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:14 pm

2022 - Summary of week 31

Reading. (Swedish crime.) Anki.

This Thursday night I was too tired for any games.

Things watched include Skrik från förr (Screams from the past) about historical crimes, Hård rock på export (Hard rock on export) and just an hour ago - Helvete – historien om norsk Black Metal (Helvete / Hell - the story about Norwegian Black Metal). All of them highly recommended (and available on SVT Play). The last one is mostly in Norwegian - en rekke forskjellige dialekter. 8-)

The Medieval Week has started. :roll: I don't plan to spend a second in that area.

10 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:34 pm

2022 - Summary of week 32

Reading. (More Swedish crime.) Anki.

There was boardgame meetup this weekend. In a park - my favourite one in the whole town. But alas, it was too hot. After two mornings with headache, I cancelled last minute.

Things watched include the two seasons of Happy Valley.

The Medieval Week is over. It is now safe to walk the streets again.

The topic about Richard Simcott's 50 languages reminded me of an old topic from HTLAL, Twenty languages (November 2010). Inspired by my own post there, I will here present an updated list of what I've studied (for more than 1 hour! ;) ).
-----
Apart from Swedish and English, I've had classes in eight languages in high school/university, have studied a few on my own (on and off), and have flirted with a couple. If I would include all of them, this would be the list:
German
Spanish
French
Ancient Greek
Irish
Welsh
Scottish Gaelic
Japanese
Mandarin
Cantonese
Latin
Russian
Portuguese
Esperanto
Finnish
Cornish
Serbo-Croatic
Persian
Turkish
Sindarin/Quenya (I can't really remember which, if not both)

I've probably forgotten a dozen.

My "real" dream list wouldn't look to different from the previous, but I'd probably include Dutch, Italian, Danish, a bunch of Slavic languages, maybe Arabic and Hindi (even Sanskrit), and God knows which languages I would delete.

-----
Dutch
Old Irish
Italian
Toki Pona
Romanian
Danish
Norwegian
Slovak
Czech
Polish
Urdu
Catalan
---
And I've probably still forgotten a dozen. But still no Arabic or Hindi (I don't count opening TY Hindi and realise that you understand lesson 1, based on your Urdu).

IT: Loyal Books. Some added input is the Italian martial arts channel of Dante Basili.

YUE: What now? Finally Cantonese!? Yes. After having spent a lot of time thinking about starting the language (and, feeling guilty after watching the Arguelles clip from the week before), I had an idea where I kept my copy of Teach Yourself Cantonese (the 1995 edition). I found it just where I thought it was. After a short workout, I poured a glass of mineral water (with ice) and read the first lesson. (I had already listened to it the night before - the Teach Yourself audio for the Complete series is available for free, online. So far, it's the same audio!).
13 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:05 pm

2022 - Summary of week 33

Quite a productive week, if one counts reading a lot "productive". Anyway, five books finished - three of them crime/suspense. One of those was a Fitzek (Psykbrytaren / Der Seelenbrecher), then the latest by Sharon Bolton (Pakten / The Pact), and finally one where the story took place in my part of the country - Dominoeffekten by Carolina Angelis (not bad!). Apparently this was the second book in the series. I'll place a hold on the first one.

No boardgame meetup this Thursday either. I would have had to force a game session between a bunch of other activities. Hopefully next Thursday will be less stressful.

Things watched include the three seasons of BBC series The Fall (taking place in Belfast).

IT: Loyal Books. Some added input is the Italian martial arts channel of Dante Basili.

YUE: This is only my second week into TY Cantonese. No rush. I'm having fun. I can't say that the language is transparent enough (or at all...), but occasionally it's just a matter of tuning your ears to other sounds than the Mandarin I've studied "for real". Added inspiration from this post by Axon:
There was a younger, incredibly social guy there code-switching between Cantonese and Mandarin with everyone. When I asked him about it, he assured me Cantonese was easy and said he'd picked up all his Cantonese from Hong Kong movies and talking with old guys in the park. "You can pick up Cantonese from input alone" is a reasonably common refrain on the Chinese internet and he's the second person I've met, after my very first Mandarin teacher, who has accomplished the task.
14 x

Return to “Language logs”