Systematiker's attempt at a log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Systematiker's attempt at a log

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Systematiker wrote:That sounds entirely too reasonable for me :lol: :lol:

Only 10 languages in the rotation?! I seriously just thought "Das glaub ich wenn ich's seh!" :lol: Didn't I just see your name pop up in one of the threads discussing the Czech mission? ;)
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm

blaurebell wrote:
Systematiker wrote:That sounds entirely too reasonable for me :lol: :lol:

Only 10 languages in the rotation?! I seriously just thought "Das glaub ich wenn ich's seh!" :lol: Didn't I just see your name pop up in one of the threads discussing the Czech mission? ;)

Shhh I was leaving out Czech on purpose, that way when I do stuff in Czech it's wanderlust, not plan....because that stops other wanderlust, right?
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Yeah, you tell that to yourself :D
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Samozřejmě!

At least, I think that's something like "of course!"
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 pm

This is what I like to see! This post is exhilarating :D
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:27 am

This seems to be a good rotation so far. I've been able to do podcasts and reading in most of my stronger languages (except Catalan, poor Catalan doesn't have a slot right now) as well as some watching in Spanish, French, and Korean. I'm wrapping up the last of the Pimsleur now, and I probably won't do the second level, it's not a good ROI where I'm at. I've also picked back up my Bible reading plans in Spanish, Portuguese, and Swedish

I'll get back into FSI Spanish next week, use some desk time for Korean (prep for the study!), and try to do some stuff in everything else...and now Czech. I might have gone ahead and sourced some native materials that I think I can use to learn from without a coursebook (assuming I'll be in rdearman's test group for Czech and the control group with Korean, but I could go the other way around too). My Bible app also has Czech with pretty good audio, which will be super helpful. I looked at the exact same materials in Korean, and that would be super hard to do.

I've also made use of Chung's helpful links on the Czech group thread and noticed that Prof. Arguelles gave three style recommendations (http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1) for learning Slavic languages, so working on Czech instead of Russian is actually following his "lexical" recommendation rather than "conservative." This makes me feel better, since I didn't really have time for Russian on the modified schedule anyway. AdditionallyI feel that Czech is an easier approach, I suspect I'll make enough headway during the study and with the group that I'll hold on to it, and that it will give me a leg up when I return to Russian.

Now, off to do something useful.
6 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:48 am

So I just looked at your profile :shock: .. you have 15 languages B1 and up, with 17 more between A2 and your "Up Next" list.. I'm good at math so I'll just point out that that is 32 languages. For heavens sake, save some for the rest of us :lol:

(very impressive, and motivating. I love it)
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am

Systematiker wrote:I've also made use of Chung's helpful links on the Czech group thread and noticed that Prof. Arguelles gave three style recommendations (http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1) for learning Slavic languages, so working on Czech instead of Russian is actually following his "lexical" recommendation rather than "conservative".

Wow, thanks! That's a thread I didn't think I'd seen before I saw my own comment on page 5 (written 11 years ago!).

Highlights:
Arguelles: "I shadowed Assimil's older Russisch ohne Muehe for years"

On page 4, Chung lists some advantages (and some disadvantages!) of choosing Slovak over Czech.

There's an interesting line from the last post (by Theodisce) in the thread:
"If I was to draw a conclusion, I would say that 100 hours of listening to a language is a solid foundation upon which to build your knowledge, provided you already have a decent command of a Slavic language."

I wonder if this could be applied to other families as well. :? Is this something you're doing with your Bible app? You know the content inside out, so you could probably listen to (or read) a related language and gradually zone into it more and more.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 am

Ani wrote:So I just looked at your profile :shock: .. you have 15 languages B1 and up, with 17 more between A2 and your "Up Next" list.. I'm good at math so I'll just point out that that is 32 languages. For heavens sake, save some for the rest of us :lol:

(very impressive, and motivating. I love it)

You've just seen this? :D 8-)
Actually, there's not that much chance that I'll even get to that much on the "next up" list, much less get many of the lower-ability languages strong enough that they'll ever be worth much. Probably many things will be like my Dutch: I'll get decent at it, rarely use it, be forever frustrated that I used to be better, and in the case that I have to dust it off, I'll do OK. I've already got serious rotation problems, though, so pretty much any gain anywhere is a trade for loss somewhere else.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I've also made use of Chung's helpful links on the Czech group thread and noticed that Prof. Arguelles gave three style recommendations (http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1) for learning Slavic languages, so working on Czech instead of Russian is actually following his "lexical" recommendation rather than "conservative".

Wow, thanks! That's a thread I didn't think I'd seen before I saw my own comment on page 5 (written 11 years ago!).

HIghlights:
Arguelles: "I shadowed Assimil's older Russisch ohne Muehe for years"

On page 4, Chung lists some advantages (and some disadvantages!) of choosing Slovak over Czech.

There's an interesting line from the last post (by Theodisce) in the thread:
"If I was to draw a conclusion, I would say that 100 hours of listening to a language is a solid foundation upon which to build your knowledge, provided you already have a decent command of a Slavic language."

I wonder if this could be applied to other families as well. :? Is this something you're doing with your Bible app? You know the content inside out, so you could probably listen to (or read) a related language and gradually zone into it more and more.

Yeah, I almost switched to Slovak for a couple reasons, since we haven't started yet, but I've got better resources for Czech.

As for the language family stuff with well-known content: that's a tactic that is working great for me. Pretty much everything I know about Portuguese has come from two discs of Michel Thomas, a small amount of video, and the New Testament (reading PT with accompanying PT audio), and I was surprised at how comfortable it was when I used it last vacation (Portunhol aside). I'd love to do it for Catalan, but don't have audio to go with my Bible text (so in a little less than two months, I'll let you know how it starts working text-only without accompanying audio). Realistically, it's also pretty much what I've done with Swedish and Danish. I've done a grand total of one FSI lesson for Swedish, and I leafed through Rivstart (is that the name of it?) and got to the clothing skill in duolinguo, but other than that, it's been podcasts on familiar topics, the Bible, and På spåret. Danish is even more so, since I did even less duolinguo and no coursework (I have a book, but it just lies there), and since the Morgonandagten is a Lutheran Matins service (they do two versions, but I know both liturgies), so the only thing where I don't already know what's coming is the hymns.

I'm really interested to approach Czech in this manner (and this is why I didn't switch to Slovak). I've got the Bible with audio, and I've got the Small Catechism, so I can take texts and start with a very small amount of transparency and puzzle it out. It's probably harder in theory than learning the grammar by rules, but I think it will be super fun to work stuff out - and with the audio, I can get pronunciation and listening. It's a bit further than the related language idea, since all I have is my aging bits of Russian shored up here and there, but with such familiar content, it seems to almost cover that.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Systematiker wrote: I've got the Bible with audio,

Which one? I am asking, because there are three main versions in the bookstores these days (plus several others not that widely spread among general public). The "normal" ecumenical one, used by various churches (except for those who like to twist the text too much, from what I've heard), which is a high quality translation, sounding a bit "dated", which is ok, it is the Bible. The second one is a "recent" translation of the Jerusalem Bible. The translators had been working on it for thirty years, they had started more or less illegally during the communism (the regime was strongly against all kinds of religion, actively fighting it in every way they could think of), and worked with both the French Jerusalem Bible and the original languages. I've recently bought myself a copy and the bits I've read so far sound very good. Than there is one translation that is the most modern, yet I would warn language learners against it. Bible21 is the most modern, using contemporary language on purpose, but perhaps too much. Especially some parts sound really weird. Perhaps you might be learning more "colloquial" language from it, I don't know, but you may encounter difficulties, if you want to use it as dual language text, side by side with the Bible in another language.

And now I hope I don't look too stupid, trying to tell you something about our Bibles :-D
3 x

Return to “Language logs”