Systematiker's attempt at a log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Systematiker's attempt at a log

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 am

Morgana wrote:I am in awe of your discipline with regard to studying languages. I've been lurking your log for a short while so I thought I'd finally say something over here.

I have a question about your Danish adventures. I was doing a quick skim of your log and you mention using a grammar (Bredsdorff's?), but have you used any other learning materials for Danish? I ask for a friend :D

Also your podcast post is just what I needed, I have been struggling for ideas for Swedish listening material. Thank you for making a resource post!!

Really, I'm not all that disciplined, it just looks that way from over there, haha.

I've got Bredsdorff, and I think I did the first chapter. I've actually been eyeballing it the last few days, it is out of place and every time I see it I think I should move it where it belongs, and then I think I could do some formal learning with it - but I don't, and it stays there. And I did some Duolingo, maybe I got through food and animals? I know I got to clothing in Swedish, and I didn't get that far in Danish, so something like that. But that was all. Actually, I've mostly just gone on the strength of synergy and familiar materials to keep afloat in native stuff. I have a digital copy of the Routledge grammar somewhere, I think, but I've never really looked at it. It's been volume of (mostly) comprehensible input most of the way, which honestly probably only works due to the sheer lexical overlap and the familiarity of much of my material.*

For a friend, huh? Not wanderlusting after Danish at all, I'm sure...(I still read your log)

Coincidentally, I've actually rotated out some of those podcasts for some others, but you may not have as much interest in those, as they are primarily Lutheran sermons from an acquaintance of mine and friends of his.

*If you are still interested: Somewhere back there I did a rough low-ball calculation about the amount of lexical overlap I've got from the vocabulary size I have in both English and German. That, combined with the fact that I've very much stuck to what I know, has made it a relatively easy slope. I can read the Bible, at least the modernized translation I have, with no words where I don't get what they mean (maybe 5% of them are "huh? oh, that's like XXX" events). Listening was hard going at first, but I had the advantage of the Morgonandagten (as I may have said elsewhere, the podcast is always one of two standard Matins services that both are represented in Anglophone Lutheranism, so I'm very familiar with the liturgy) and the Højmesse podcast (which follows a standard Reformation-era liturgy [that also happens to be a common setting in in the Anglophone Lutheran world]) so I'm literally able to listen to something where I 100% know what's coming, and often know the tune. I have a priest acquaintance as well who is Danish, and he's good about sharing his sermons with me, and I can usually follow sermons in any language that I've got even a minimal amount of transparency in. Moving outside that realm sees a sharp drop in my ability, but not so much that I find it too terribly discouraging. I am literally the laziest learner, I keep doing things that I can coast on instead of putting in effort with harder things.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:51 am

Systematiker wrote:I am literally the laziest learner

I take issue with that. I think I'm the laziest learner, I don't even coast along with the things I can do! (I'm sure rdearman would also like to take umbrage but I think his new French routine disqualifies him)
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:21 am

Elenia wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I am literally the laziest learner

I take issue with that. I think I'm the laziest learner, I don't even coast along with the things I can do! (I'm sure rdearman would also like to take umbrage but I think his new French routine disqualifies him)

yes.... I think I'm disqualified. :(
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Morgana wrote:
Systematiker wrote:Really, I'm not all that disciplined, it just looks that way from over there, haha.

Thanks for this reply, but I have to say I think you are too modest ;)

I did see that lexical overlap post, I thought it was neat, the % of overlap between the various languages (and only imagining the shortcut you were able to take due to it). I know very little about linguistics or language history but it definitely seems like most of your advantage came from German... I feel like English lost a bit too much of its Germanic roots (vocab-wise anyway!) to make the Scandinavian languages as transparent as has seemed to work out for you!

Subjectively, that seems to be the case. Most of the time when I stumble on a word (from Swedish or Danish or Dutch) I don't recognize but turn out to know it after all, it's when it has a cognate in English but not in German. It also appears to me that there are way more cognates to German than to English, but again, that's just my impression.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:17 am

Attack of the administrative overload!

Pretty much, this is how I feel

Edit: someone teach me how to embed properly, please

Edit 2: nevermind, tooltips are present.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:31 pm

I got an email and a notification that Jeff said something, but can't see the post :?
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:03 pm

I wrote something and changed my mind - that's why. :)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I wrote something and changed my mind - that's why. :)

Haha, and the plot thickens.
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:12 am

Well, this week was unexpectedly difficult. I've had less trouble with registering vehicles in a different country than I'm getting for moving to a new state, for one. Prepping for my trip starting the 16th has also snowballed, I wanted to have the course completely ready last Friday. The best laid plans of mice and men...

The little guy also seems to have entered the terrible twos about six months early. And he's a biter. That's not much fun for me, or for the usually exhausted wife (because, as she says, the coming attraction wants to dance samba all night and keeps her up).

And now that I've realized that the new season of El ministerio del tiempo is out, RTVE has got it region-blocked for the US. I mean, I found a workaround, but really, I was fine on the first two seasons but can't watch season three? I watched one this afternoon, and it was neat to contrast the experience with the last time I watched the show over my computer, back when it was too hard to understand without TL subtitles.

I was quite inspired by Expug's writeup of how he uses clozemaster. I've played with it before, and it's been kind of fun - and I really like his different approaches. I'm trying to work a bit more clozemaster in, especially in languages where I don't get the chance to do a lot of output (Swedish, Danish, Catalan) but do quite well with input.

I'm behind on literally every Bible plan, in some of them so much so that I'm getting emails from the app about resetting the days. I also keep drifting wildly on what I want to do and what I should be doing. I really need to smooth out the rough spots in my Spanish, but instead of actually doing drills and output, I watch or listen to podcasts, or go do another language entirely. At least I'm procrastinating with language learning, right?

This week should be better...at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Morgana, another comment on the German->Swedish aid, I read your link over in your log on word order, which I've never given a second thought in Swedish. The rare times that I've written (text, email), I've just used my gut feeling from German, and it seems to have worked out pretty well.
6 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm

It's a girl!

That's it, no other update, we just had the ultrasound today and found out we're having a girl. We're both quite stoked about it.

Carry on.
13 x

Return to “Language logs”