Meanderings on Languages and Life

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Kerrie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683

Re: Meanderings on Languages and Life

Postby Kerrie » Sat May 14, 2016 4:27 pm

I took a walk through Lobo territory last week while catching up around here and found a lot of really great TV recommendations. I started watching El Ministerio del Tiempo, and it's really entertaining. In a number of ways.

First, I love that it touches on a lot of important historical points that have helped shape Spain into the country it is today. Literature, art, history, politics, it is teaching me a little bit of everything. The first few episodes were a little hard to follow, but I find that to be true any time I start a new show, until I get an idea of the characters and the storyline, even in English sometimes.

Second, it has brought up this concept of going back into the past to change the present (or future, however you want to look at it). This seems to be a common theme I see. Outlander, The All Soul's Trilogy, and The Time Traveler's Wife are all sitting my bedroom bookshelf. My daughter has become obsessed with Back to the Future, and Claire and Jamie are trying to stop the Jacobite Rebellion. If your child died in a car accident, and you could go back in time to save them, you probably would, right?

I thought it was really amusing when they went back to the sixteenth century and they had cell phones. I was telling my daughter about it, and I thought about it. If time is the fourth dimension, and you have cell coverage over the whole country, then perhaps it's not unrealistic that there would be reception there, assuming they had cell phones and electricity, at any rate. I mean, if you move laterally in your house (2D) it will work. If you go into the basement or up on the roof, it would work (3D), so maybe it would work in 1588 if you had a charged cell phone. :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure if I missed something, or they just never explained it - but I still don't understand how the doors work. I might go back and watch the first episode again once I get caught up with the rest of the episodes.

I also started watching Acacias 38, which reminds me a little of Downton Abbey and El Gran Hotel. It's a telenovela and there are 275 episodes so far, so I don't know if I will watch more of it. It would make me a very unproductive person for a long time if I got sucked into that like I normally get sucked into good TV shows. :lol: :lol:
0 x

Kerrie
White Belt

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Oh wow. I'm really bad at updating my log. :lol:

I am back to work now, and my poor foot is starting to work a little better. I still can't go for a walk just to go for a walk, but at least I can get around and do what I need to, albeit a bit slower than before.

I have been busy with Super Challenge stuff. I broke up with Italian and now I'm having a little fling with Catalan. I still see Italian now and then, but I'm thinking this little whirlwind with Catalan may last awhile. I don't even remember how I got started with it. :lol: I just wish I could find the audiobooks for Harry Potter. I'm reading it, but I really like to focus on listening, too, and I haven't found much of anything to listen to in Catalan that I have a translation of.

I have been watching Polseres Vermelles (The Red Band Society), which is about a group of sick kids who live i n the hospital. I remember finding it on accident a few years ago and watching it dubbed in Spanish. It's on YouTube and I've been watching it in the original Catalan with Spanish subtitles. I find it easier to follow the Catalan with Spanish subs than with English subs.

On the English front, I've been binge-watching a few shows. I just caught up with the third season of The Blacklist. I also watched Camelot. There was only one season, and I was less than impressed with it. If you want to watch something Arthurian, I recommend Merlin instead.

There is a show on The History Channel called Alone. They drop ten guys in the wild (on Vancouver Island) and they have to survive alone. The one who lasts the longest wins a half million dollars. The first season had one really entertaining guy. He would break out in poetry, sing opera, and get generally goofy for the camera. I'm a loner, but I don't know if I could go for weeks or months with zero contact with people. I thought the show was kind of interesting, just from a psychological perspective.

I also watched a show on Amazon called Humans. It is about a future where we have Androids - you can get one as a housekeeper if you want to. Or a babysitter. They use them for nurses for old people. It's really a very interesting concept. I think the whole machines-taking-over-the-world thing has been done to death, but this show brings a fresh approach to the idea, and explores some of the potential good and bad sides of artificial intelligence.
1 x

Kerrie
White Belt

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10 pm

On the reading front, I finished the other two books by Deborah Harkness in the All Souls Trilogy. The second book (Shadow of Night) was very good. There was a lot of history in it, and I really enjoyed it. The third (The Book of Life) was really bizarre. I like weird, but the end of this trilogy was really pushing the weird factor for me.

Then I picked up City of Dark Magic (Magnus Flyte), which had a lot of similar themes as The All Souls Trilogy. There was a lot of weirdness in this one, too, but it was a good read. :D
Once a city of enormous wealth and culture, Prague was home to emperors, alchemists, astronomers, and, as it’s whispered, hell portals. When music student Sarah Weston lands a summer job at Prague Castle cataloging Beethoven’s manuscripts, she has no idea how dangerous her life is about to become. Prague is a threshold, Sarah is warned, and it is steeped in blood.

Soon after Sarah arrives, strange things begin to happen. She learns that her mentor, who was working at the castle, may not have committed suicide after all. Could his cryptic notes be warnings? As Sarah parses his clues about Beethoven’s “Immortal Beloved,” she manages to get arrested, to have tantric sex in a public fountain, and to discover a time-warping drug. She also catches the attention of a four-hundred-year-old dwarf, the handsome Prince Max, and a powerful U.S. senator with secrets she will do anything to hide.

After I finished that one, I read the sequel City of Lost Dreams which was equally strange and delightful.

Yesterday, I started (and finished) Orphan Train. This was an excellent, through-provoking novel. It's been a long, long time since I stayed up late (when I had to get up in the morning!) to finish a book. I think the only time I put it down was when I had to feed my kids dinner - otherwise I read it straight from beginning to end in virtually one sitting.

The author of Bird in Hand and The Way Life Should Be delivers her most ambitious and powerful novel to date: a captivating story of two very different women who build an unexpected friendship: a 91-year-old woman with a hidden past as an orphan-train rider and the teenage girl whose own troubled adolescence leads her to seek answers to questions no one has ever thought to ask.

Nearly eighteen, Molly Ayer knows she has one last chance. Just months from "aging out" of the child welfare system, and close to being kicked out of her foster home, a community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping her out of juvie and worse.

Vivian Daly has lived a quiet life on the coast of Maine. But in her attic, hidden in trunks, are vestiges of a turbulent past. As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly discovers that she and Vivian aren't as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance.

The closer Molly grows to Vivian, the more she discovers parallels to her own life. A Penobscot Indian, she, too, is an outsider being raised by strangers, and she, too, has unanswered questions about the past. As her emotional barriers begin to crumble, Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life - answers that will ultimately free them both.

Rich in detail and epic in scope, Orphan Train is a powerful novel of upheaval and resilience, of second chances, of unexpected friendship, and of the secrets we carry that keep us from finding out who we are.

I've been reading in Spanish, too. I finished the first three HP books again, and I'm working on the fourth. I'm in the middle of three other books as well. I have a habit of reading too many books at once. :lol: Some of it is because I like to take a paper book with me when I take the kids to the pool - it's too hard to read on a screen out in the sun. (That's actually why I've read so much in English the past couple weeks. It's a lot easier for me to read in Spanish on my phone/tablet using ReadLang. I also don't have as easy access to Spanish (print) books as I do English books.)
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Kerrie wrote:I have been watching Polseres Vermelles (The Red Band Society), which is about a group of sick kids who live in the hospital. I remember finding it on accident a few years ago and watching it dubbed in Spanish. It's on YouTube and I've been watching it in the original Catalan with Spanish subtitles. I find it easier to follow the Catalan with Spanish subs than with English subs.

Thanks for reminding me of that one! I remember watching the first episode on Swedish television in September 2013, just a week after I returned from a short trip to Barcelona. For some reason I forgot to follow the series, but now I'll look it up on Youtube.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Kerrie
White Belt

Postby Kerrie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 am

The YouTube playlist I've been watching (with Spanish subs) is here.

One other thing I was going to mention - I binge-watched Isabel while I was off work, too. I saw the first season a few years ago. I remember starting to watch season two on RTVE's website, but my Spanish wasn't really good enough to follow it without subtitles at the time. It had been a long time, so I re-watched it from the beginning.

I loved the first season. I loved watching this young girl fight for what was hers; her strength, her intelligence, her resolve. And part of me wishes I had stopped watching after season one. Please don't hate me.

Season two seemed all about how weak Isabel was. Yes, she faced lots of hardships, being a queen is not easy, yadda yadda yadda. Yes, she was strong to face everything she did (and overcome it). But I felt like it was pity-party time.

And I kept hearing in the background - Kill the infidels! Kick them out! Build a wall! (Maybe that was CNN in the background.)

I understand - different time, different place, different world. I really don't have to like it, though. To be fair, I probably would have enjoyed the story more if I hadn't been hearing the same thing on the news every night.

The first season felt like it was about Isabel, her growth as a person (and into a queen, obviously). I like stories about people. I didn't feel like season two was about character or character development, it was all about politics. And to me, politics is boring if you take the personality factor out of it.

Season three redeemed the show, though. So much heartache. Losing her two eldest, then watching Juana go crazy. Juana was another highlight of the season for me. (I didn't know before I watched the show that she went crazy, and when she first started going batty, I wanted to hit her! :) But then I realized there was a purpose to her acting like that. :lol: )

The end was heartbreaking.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”