Gemüse em uma caminhada no lingua-parque (PT | DE | EN)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Peluche
Orange Belt

Re: Gemüse auf einem Spaziergang (DE | EN)

Postby Peluche » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:48 am

Posted By: Gemuse
Subject: German: Comparatives
Date Posted: 22 March 2014 at 5:25pm

Es liegt ein schmutziger Teppich.

Why do we have "dirtier" here? Dirtier than what?

I know, I'm trying to map it to English, which doesnt work. I'm just trying to get the
connotation here.

Replies:
It's not the comparative, it's the masculine nominative (mixed declination):

ein schmutziger Teppich = a dirty carpet
eine schmutzige Wand = a dirty wall
ein schmutziges Fenster = a dirty window
Josquin on 22 March 2014

Aaaaw man. What a basic mistake.
Live and learn Gemuse, live and learn.
Thanks Josquin!
Gemuse on 22 March 2014

Don't worry, I made that same mistake too.

And still sometimes do, when talking fast (Tja, das ist doch eine komplizierte Sache... oder meine ich, kompliziertere??)
outcast on 23 March 2014

I encountered the phrase
schöneres Wetter
I understand this is comparative+adjective declination leading to schön -> schöner ->
schöneres.

But, we have sentences like
Wofür geben Sie mehr Geld aus?

Why dont we have an adjective declination here for "mehr" (mehres Geld)?
Gemuse on 19 April 2014

Because of reasons.

It's not a normal adjective, but used for (comparing and) measuring amounts. According to http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/meh ... _reichlich - Duden it's called "Indefinitpronomen und unbestimmtes Zahlwort" ... indefinite pronoun and quantifier ...?

But this is one of the words where knowing why it's treated differently doesn't keep you from having to memorize and doing exercises. Of course, when you can identify things like quantifiers in your own language and English and know how they are treated the same or differently from other word classes, then such an explanation might make things a bit easier, because then you can compare the way these words are treated in different languages. But you still have to do the exercises and accept the target language grammar the way it is.
Bao on 19 April 2014

Do besser, and lieber also fall into the same exception class as mehr (no adjective
endings?

But größer, älter, jünger are treated like normal adjectives (eg älteres Buch)?
Gemuse on 19 April 2014

Except for lieber, which is an adverb, all those are adjectives. I think. Too lazy to check.
Bao on 19 April 2014

Aha, so only adjectives get the adjective endings for comparatives.

My dictionary says lieber is the comparative of lieb, which is an adjective. So should
lieber also not be an adjective?
In addition to being an adverb as the comparative of gern.
Gemuse on 19 April 2014

Ludwig Anzengruber wrote:

Auf Erden kann es kein lieberes Anschauen geben, als neben einem rechten Mann ein
rechtes Weib.

works, but other collocations sound often better (using "netter", "niedlicher", etc.
instead) in attributive position
eg. "Ein lieberes Kind ist mir nicht bekannt" sounds ok, but "Ein lieberes Haus ist mir
nicht bekannt" sounds odd, even though "Das ist ein liebes Haus" sounds ok to me. "Ein
niedlicheres Haus ist mir nicht bekannt" sounds ok though.
daegga on 20 April 2014

Oh I actually forgot the comparative form of lieb, because the adverb is more common. And as daegga said, there are some constraints on usage.
Bao on 20 April 2014
0 x
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:49 am

German: Easy Preposition question

Subject: German: Easy Preposition question
Date Posted: 08 March 2014 at 11:39am

Hugo German contains the following satz.
Gucken Sie bitte in die Fernsehzeitung.

The preposition rules for "in" however lead me to thing it should be
Gucken Sie bitte in der Fernsehzeitung.

Any insight on why am I wrong? There is no movement here for Fernsehzeitung for it to be
Akkusativ.

Also, does it make a difference if instead of Gucken, we have Sehen/Lesen?

Replies:
Another simple question:
1. Er geht bis an die Tür.
2. Er kommt bis in die Gaststube.

Why is it "in" in Satz 2, and "an" in 1?
Dont both Sätze say "up to ..."?

Gemuse on 08 March 2014

Gemuse wrote:
Hugo German contains the following satz.
Gucken Sie bitte in die Fernsehzeitung.

The preposition rules for "in" however lead me to thing it should be
Gucken Sie bitte in der Fernsehzeitung.

Hugo German's example sentence is correct. Gucken must be used with the accusative. IMHO, there's an implied movement/direction in it (because your eyeballs cast a glance). You might consider "gucken" a shortened version of "hineingucken," [look into] which is also used with the accusative.

Gucken Sie bitte in die Fernsehzeitung hinein.

Other verbs can, of course, be used with the dative:

nachschlagen: Schlagen sie die Sendezeit in der Fernsehzeitung nach.
lesen: Lesen sie die Witze in der Fernsehzeitung.

Gemuse wrote:
Also, does it make a difference if instead of Gucken, we have Sehen/Lesen?

* lesen:

Ich lese die Fernsehzeitung. [jede Woche, von vorne bis hinten usw.]
Ich lese in der Fernsehzeitung. [aber nur das Kreuzworträtsel/die Klatschspalte usw.]

* sehen:

Ich sehe die Fernsehzeitung. [auf dem Tisch]

Doitsujin on 08 March 2014

Likewise, you say er flüstert in mein Ohr - he whispers in my ear.
beano on 08 March 2014

Quote:
Another simple question:

In the first case you are still in front of the door. In the second case you have entered the pub and are in it.

If you had said "Er geht bis an die Gaststube" you would be also directly in front of the pub without having entered it. If you had said "Er steht in der Tür", you would be standing directly in the frame.
Cabaire on 08 March 2014

Thanks all!!!

Doitsujin wrote:

* sehen:

Ich sehe die Fernsehzeitung. [auf dem Tisch]

So sehen cannot be used in the same sense as gucken? In English, we can say "See in the
magazine if..." but
Sehen Sie in der Fernsehzeitung bitte.
would be wrong?

Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
Another simple question:

In the first case you are still in front of the door. In the second case you have
entered the pub and are in it.

If you had said "Er geht bis an die Gaststube" you would be also directly in front of
the pub without having entered it. If you had said "Er steht in der Tür", you would be
standing directly in the frame.

Does "bis in" mean "just inside"?
What is the difference between
3. Er kommt in die Gaststube.
Gemuse on 08 March 2014

Gemuse wrote:
So sehen cannot be used in the same sense as gucken?

They're pretty similar, but not completely interchangeable.

Gemuse wrote:
In English, we can say "See in the magazine if..." but Sehen Sie in der Fernsehzeitung bitte. would be wrong?

"Sehen Sie in der Fernsehzeitung bitte" is wrong. You might say "Sehen sie sich bitte die Fernsehzeitung an," but that would refer to the magazine as whole. You might say it to point out that there's something weird or interesting about it.

Even though the usage of "sehen" mostly overlaps with "to see" some of its meanings need to be expressed with different verbs in German. For example:

1. [to see = refer to]

For more information see the user manual.

a) Weitere Informationen finden Sie im Benutzerhandbuch.
b) Weitere Informationen können Sie im Benutzerhandbuch nachschlagen/nachlesen.

2. [to see = to take care of, to ensure]

See [to it] that no harm comes to him.
a) Sorge dafür, dass ihm nichts passiert.
Doitsujin on 08 March 2014

Quote:
Does "bis in" mean "just inside"?
What is the difference between
3. Er kommt in die Gaststube.

Well, that's subtle. "Er kommt in die Gaststube" means only "he entered the pub", but if you say "er kommt bis in die Gaststube", you either hint at the fact, that he did not come any further (he could not enter the kitchen, although he wanted, but was stopped in the dining area), or that he came a longer way, and the entering of the pub was only the last step of his walk.
Cabaire on 08 March 2014

Thanks Doitsujin, beano and Cabaire!!

If anyone is wondering why I appear to not have "voted useful post" it cuz THE FREAKING
CHROME BUG WONT LET ME VOTE &%$#
Gemuse on 08 March 2014

Another preposition question (motivated by a post example from Doitsujin):
1. Wir suchen eine neue Wohnung.
2. Die Firma sucht Mitarbeiter.
3. Sie suchte nach den richtigen Worten.

Why isnt there a nach in 1,2 as compared to 3? Is it a difference in meaning?
Gemuse on 12 March 2014

Yes ... but it's subtle.
I would say, etwas suchen means you know or believe that whatever you are searching does indeed exist, you just haven't found it yet, and nach etwas suchen indicates that you hope it exists?

I hope others will give more input, but if you said
Wir suchen eine neue Wohnung
it might mean you have to find a new apartment within, let's say, the next three months because the landlord told you to move out.
Wir suchen nach einer neuen Wohnung
could mean your current apartment isn't all that great and you do want to find something more suitable, something you like better

Die Firma sucht Mitarbeiter
they have vacancies they are trying to fill within a set time frame
Die Firma sucht immer nach neuen Mitarbeitern
they always are looking to recruit talented new staff

But I think this is one of the cases where you need more sample sentences?
Bao on 12 March 2014

Thanks Bao! I appreciate your help!

HTLAL: one more preposition question:

von Edeka.
bei Marktkauf.

Why the difference? Both are stores????

Gemuse on 16 March 2014

Could you give us a sentence with an example? Quoting the store names with a preposition doesn't make much sense, because that could mean anything.

However, I assume the difference in the prepostions is not due to the different names, but rather to the different role in the sentence.

If the sentence was something like "Ich habe es bei/von Edeka/Marktkauf gekauft", there is no difference whatsoever in the meaning.
Josquin on 16 March 2014

My first idea was "Das ist von Edeka." and "Das habe ich bei Marktkauf gekauft."
'von ... kaufen' is possible and means the same as 'bei ... kaufen' but I personally would use von only with people or professions when emphasizing the person. My grandma uses store names the same way as personal names or profession names (Bäcker, Metzger etc).
Bao on 16 March 2014

Josquin wrote:
Could you give us a sentence with an example? Quoting the store names
with a preposition doesn't make much sense, because that could mean anything.

However, I assume the difference in the prepostions is not due to the different names,
but rather to the different role in the sentence.

If the sentence was something like "Ich habe es bei/von Edeka/Marktkauf gekauft", there
is no difference whatsoever in the meaning.

These are present in Hugo German:
Ich brauche unbedingt Eier von Edeka.
Das Weißbrot kaufe ich lieber bei Marktkauf.

Perhaps this is a usage issue (my bad).
Are these correct:
Ich brauche unbedingt Eier von Marktkauf.
Das Weißbrot kaufe ich lieber bei Edeka
Gemuse on 16 March 2014

They are. The prepositions depend on the verb in this case! I don't know the names or rules for this, but there are rules for which verb takes which preposition for the adverbials that make sense to use with them.
Bao on 16 March 2014

Gemuse wrote:

These are present in Hugo German:
Ich brauche unbedingt Eier von Edeka.
Das Weißbrot kaufe ich lieber bei Marktkauf.

Where do the Eier come from? Von xxx
Where do I buy the Eier? Bei xxx

(alternative for the first one:
From Where do I want to buy the Eier?)
lingoleng on 16 March 2014

We have:
Ich esse eine Wurst, dazu trinke ich eine cola.

Here "zu" is being used as "with" and "da" prefix is referring to Wurst,

Is the following sentence legal:
Ich trinke eine Cola zu eine Wurst.
or
Zu eine Wurst trinke ich eine Cola.
Gemuse on 22 March 2014

The sentence is correct, but after "zu" we need the dative:

Ich trinke eine Cola zu einer Wurst.
Zu einer Wurst trinke ich eine Cola.
Josquin on 22 March 2014

Thanks Josquin. I realized the dative thing right after I posted, but I was away from
the computer :-o
Gemuse on 22 March 2014

1. Sie sieht gerne Filme, um auf andere Gedanken zu kommen.

Does this mean "she gladly sees a film in order to get different ideas"?

2. Der Chef verspricht mir immer wieder mehr Geld.
Dem kann man gar nichts mehr glauben.

Why is it Dative Dem in the second sentence? I would have expeted Den.

3. Er hat zu viele Probleme mit seinem Geschäft.
Dem ist er einfach nicht mehr gewachsen.

Why is it Dative Dem in the second sentence? I would have expected "Das" (akk).

4. Er läuft zu seiner Freundin.
Er läuft mit seiner Freundin.

Is there any difference in meaning between the two sentences?
Gemuse on 05 April 2014

Gemuse wrote:
1. Sie sieht gerne Filme, um auf andere Gedanken zu kommen.

Does this mean "she gladly sees a film in order to get different ideas"?

No, "gerne" is used to express "to love/enjoy doing sth."

Gemuse wrote:
2. Der Chef verspricht mir immer wieder mehr Geld.
Dem kann man gar nichts mehr glauben.

3. Er hat zu viele Probleme mit seinem Geschäft.
Dem ist er einfach nicht mehr gewachsen.

The Dative is used, because "glauben" und "gewachsen" require it. For more information see the http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rektion#Rektion_in_de r_traditionellen_Grammatik - Rektion wikipedia page.

Gemuse wrote:
4. Er läuft zu seiner Freundin.
Er läuft mit seiner Freundin.

Is there any difference in meaning between the two sentences?

Er läuft zu seiner Freundin. = He's running to his girlfriend.
Er läuft mit seiner Freundin. = He's running with his girlfriend.

Doitsujin on 05 April 2014
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 am

German: on the ch sound

Subject: German: on the ch sound
Date Posted: 29 March 2014 at 2:32am

daegga wrote:
Gemuse wrote:

But I have been saying "Manch" as "Mansh". The problem is that the tongue at the "n"
is at the top, so "ch" become "sh". Need to figure out how to fix it.

In German, we usually don't use the tip of the tongue to pronounce the [n] but the flat
front of the tongue (the tip almost touches the inside of the teeth). In order to
pronounce the <ch> you only need to shift the pressure point farther back from there
while you are pronouncing the [n].
If you can't do that, position the tongue already for the <ch> before pronouncing the
<n>, ie. use a palatal n. In rapid speech, it shouldn't get noticed.

I have been having this problem with the ch sound as quoted above.

Today I realized, thanks to the German CD intensive course that I have the same issue
with "Welche" which I have been pronouncing as "Welshe".
Again, the "l" I say results in my touch touching the top of the mouth which then makes
ch as sh.

So any similar tricks here? Is it the case that whenever a ch is involved the
preceeding consonants are modified so that the tongue does not touch the roof of the
mouth?

Replies:
Gemuse wrote:
Today I realized, thanks to the German CD intensive course that I have the same issue with "Welche" which I have been pronouncing as "Welshe".
Again, the "l" I say results in my touch touching the top of the mouth which then makes
ch as sh.

It's quite possible that you also pronounce the German "l" incorrectly, if you pronounce it like most native US English speakers. In British English (RP) there are two ways to pronounce "l":

1. light l: e.g. lily
2. dark l: e.g. wall

However, most native US English speakers use the more velarized "dark l" pronunciation in both cases.
If that's the case, you'll also have to work on the correct pronunciation of the l.
As for "ch," it might help if you break up words such as "welche" into two syllables and pronounce each separately.

Doitsujin on 29 March 2014

When I say "welch" [vɛlç], my tongue jumps from my upper alveolar ridge to my lower front teeth, when I transition from the [l] to the [ç]. When I say "welsch" [vɛlʃ], it stays up.
Cabaire on 29 March 2014

daegga makes a really good point. Germans produce a lot of the sounds from the back towards the middle of the mouth. I would not neglect practicing all the sounds because I think other sounds in combination with -ch- are what causes a lot of frustration for us Amis :)

[/IMG]

Record a native speaker saying
Weihnachten, Wächter, nichts, Töchter, Hochzeit, Bauch, Bücher, leicht, Besucher

and listen to ch in combination with the other Lauten/sounds.

listen to a native say
nach, hoch Bauch, Besuch

and then listen to
Töchter, Bücher, leicht

You can get away with using sch for these words and it won't get noticed. Similarly, you can probably get away with saying "neex" for "nichts" but make sure to use the short German "i" and not the elongated English "ee". That would sound weird :)

just my two cents ;)
Sunja on 31 March 2014

Sunja wrote:
[...] and then listen to
Töchter, Bücher, leicht

You can get away with using sch for these words and it won't get noticed.

You'll certainly be understood, but native speakers will notice if you use [ʃ] instead of [ç] in these words, unless [ʃ] is also used instead of [ç] in their regional dialect variety.

I'd advise German language learners against using [ʃ] instead of [ç] unless they cannot produce [ç] at all.
Doitsujin on 31 March 2014

Doitsujin wrote:
I'd advise German language learners against using [ʃ] instead of [ç] unless they cannot produce [ç] at all.

First-year learners really have a hard time with it. I have an English couple who just moved to Germany and everything is completely new, not just -ch-, and while I do correct them, I'll tell them at the same time it's okay to cheat a little, especially since they have to speak German now. Their biggest problem is everyone they come in contact with speaks English to them. They're having a hard time practicing that -ch-! ^^

Sunja on 31 March 2014

Sunja wrote:
Their biggest problem is everyone they come in contact with speaks English to them. They're having a hard time practicing that -ch-! ^^

There's a HTLAL thread about this topic: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... osts.asp?T ID=38110&PN=1 - How to get Germans to speak German to you

IMHO, the easiest solution is to simply ask; if they're beyond the German equivalent of Tarzan speak, most Germans won't have problems speaking German with them.

If that doesn't work, they could resort to "guerrilla tactics" with people who don't know them (e.g., pretend not to understand English etc.).
Doitsujin on 31 March 2014

Hmm... when I try speaking with a dark l, I'm unable to pronounce the "ch" correctly,
but it comes out as a alveolo-palatal fricative, not as a "sch". To my ears, this sounds
still somewhat like a "ch", but with a Scandinavian accent.

One thing to notice is that most German speakers protrude their lips quite a lot when
making a "sch", but don't do that when making a "ch". Trying to consciously do this
might help to automatically make the right sound even in harder contexts. It's not a
necessity, I myself don't do this, but it might be worth a shot.
daegga on 31 March 2014

Quote:
One thing to notice is that most German speakers protrude their lips quite a lot when making a "sch", but don't do that when making a "ch".

Quote:
In various languages, including English and French, it may have simultaneous lip rounding, i.e. [ʃʷ], although this is usually not transcribed.

In which languages is a "sch" spoken without rounding and / or protruding of the lips? As it seems, it is a feature of German, English and French. I thought http://www.tuninst.net/BEPS/SED-intro-v ... -round-340. jpg - this only important for vowels and have of course protruded in all languages known to me my lips, if they have a [ʃ].

Cabaire on 31 March 2014

It's not a phonemic feature, it doesn't matter if you protrude the "sch" or not. I guess
you can't see much of a difference in the signal, except maybe a higher amplitude for
the protruded "sch" (not sure).
I don't protrude it in any language, but I do round my lips, ie. compressed rounding.
Protruding the "sch" in German is pretty common, no idea how it is in other languages.

But what I meant was using it as a cue. Be conscious about whether you protrude your
lips or not. Consciously not protruding/rounding them when pronouncing a "ch" might lead
to the right sound even in non-optimal context. Overdoing the protruding when uttering a
"sch" shouldn't influence the sound of it, but would make it easier to mentally
distinguish it from the "ch". Not sure if this can really help, it's just an idea...
daegga on 01 April 2014

Saw this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeY4RVi4WU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=WbeY4RVi4WU
As he was going through the list, uptil Pech, I could hear the distinctive ch sound. But
for Küche, I kind of hear Küsche
Gemuse on 01 April 2014

He's saying it slow enough that I can hear the -ch- clearly. Because of the way the mouth is formed for the Ü , cutting off that sound with CH might make it sound a little more in the direction of SCH but I would not analyse it as such.

The video is pretty good. I think saying each of the vowels in those words he has on the left and then "cutting off the sound" the way he illustrates is a good exercise for practicing that CH.
Sunja on 01 April 2014
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:52 am

German: About "wieder"

Subject: German: About "wieder"
Date Posted: 29 March 2014 at 2:56pm

I am seeing some uses of wieder which I am not getting. The simple meaning of wieder is
"again". However, it seems to also be used to put emphasis or some connotation (like
aber).

1. Der Chef verspricht mir immer wieder mehr Geld.
2. Das ist wieder Typisch!
3. Wie siehst du denn wieder aus!

What is the role of wieder in these sentences?

Let me also ask another unrelated question.
What is the difference between "noch nicht" and "noch nichts"?

Replies:
Hi Gemuse,

1. The boss keeps promising me more money
(he's promised more than once before but hasn't done anything. Immer wieder means over and over)

2. That's again typical
(it doesn't surprise me in the least/I've seen this kind of thing before)

3. Just look at yourself
(something about the person is unbecoming, either they're dressed oddly or otherwise a mess. It's happened before, therefore the use of "wieder")

To answer your second question,

"noch nicht" is of course not yet, "noch nichts" is still nothing. Example: Ich habe noch nichts gesagt = I haven't said anything yet
Sunja on 30 March 2014
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:03 am

New entries.....

EN: The word "homage" has 2 different meanings and 2 different pronunciations. I didn't know.
From http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=517675
How do you pronounce homage?
I've always said 'o-maj,' but today a person told me it was in fact 'ha-mudge.' Which is right?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
There's a difference, and sometimes both are right. Here you go:
"o-maj"= usually a physical representation of respect toward someone or something. (ex: They built a statue as an homage to the king."
"ha-mudge" = the act or feeling respect or honor toward someone or something. (ex: The citizens paid homage to the late king by bowing to his statue.) Both are used as nouns.

DE: Still paralyzed to start again...
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Mon May 02, 2016 4:53 am

For German: I had a 1 year complete break, did absolutely nothing. Mainly work and life stress, and (later) part laziness.

I was planning to pick up Assimil where I had left off, but I've forgotten a lot of the vokab, so now I think I'll spend May reviewing my vokab notes, and go over my log vokab postings, and also go over the Assimil grammar lessons.

I also found a course "Hören & Sprechen A2" which I'm doing to restart German.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deutsch-Uben-H ... 195674939/

I like the course, it has about 29 Assimil style lessons on everyday situations, so the vocabulary is very useful. I'm just going over the conversations to pick up vokab. I understand the gist of the conversations, and do not have any trouble with the speed so at least the 1 year break has not made my German A0 (I was B1.1 before the break).

Right from the second lesson, the course has sentences like:
Der Flug für alle wäre zu teuer gewesen.
Zwei Mal möchte ich ihn mir nicht anschauen.

I've done the first 5 lessons, I'll try to do 2 conversations/day and finish the course in 2 weeks. I really like the vokab of the first 5 lessons, there were no words which did not interest me.

There is also a B1 level followup, I might do that next.

Words of the post.
zwar
It seems to mean "although .. but"
sie ist zwar 47, sieht aber wie 30 aus
More here: https://yourdailygerman.com/2013/03/25/meaning-zwar/

ab|hän·gen
von jdm abhängen: to be dependent on sb
Die Heizkosten hängt natürlich von Ihrem Verbrauch ab.
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed May 11, 2016 1:45 am

Completed 12 out of 28 lessons of "Hören & Sprechen A2".
I like this course a lot, Great sentences, excellent vocabulary (only important words are used), and appropriate grammar complexity.

Here is a sentence from lesson 12:
Sie macht sich sorgen, denn ihr Mann wollte schon vor zwei Stunden nach Hause kommen und ist immer noch nicht da.

From earlier lessons:
Ziehen Sie doch das an, womit Sie sich am wohlsten fühlen.

Words of the post:
über·le·gen
to think [about it]

sich dat etw überlegen
to think sth over
Das werde ich mir überlegen

aus|seh·en
to look/ appear

Du siehst gut/gesund/schick aus
you look great/healthy/smart

vor|be·rei·ten hat vorbereitet
etw [für etw akk] vorbereiten
to prepare sth [for sth]

sich akk für eine Prüfung vorbereiten
to prepare for an exam

küm·mern
sich akk um jdn kümmern
to look after sb

sich akk um etw akk kümmern
to take care of sth

Wenn du die Hausarbeit machst, kümmere ich mich um den Garten
if you do the housework I'll see to the garden

Ich kann mich nicht um alles kümmern!
I can't take care of everything!

unterhalten (sprechen) ...hat unterhalten
sich akk [mit jdm] [über jdn/etw] unterhalten
to talk [to sb] [about sb/sth]

Man kann sich mit ihm gut/schlecht/glänzend unterhalten
He's easy/not easy/really easy to talk to
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Sun May 15, 2016 5:17 am

Completed 18 out of 28 lessons of "Hören & Sprechen A2". I continue to like the dialogues.
I also signed up for a clozemaster account (thanks to Expugnator's log for the site idea). It seems like a good site to do sentences with low intensity during work breaks (and I like the dark theme option). Did 40 sentences/score 160

Theme of the post: Krankenhaus!!!
There was a lesson on this in "Hören & Sprechen A2". Why the &%$ isn't this topic covered in traditional language courses???? There was a whole chapter in the Begegnungen B1 textbook on museum and art and related crap, but Krankenhaus?? NOOOOOOOOOOOoooo. :roll:

möglichst
if possible

mit Verb:as much as possible
er soll möglichst wenig sprechen
he should talk as little as possible

ein möglichst billiges Zimmer
a room that’s as cheap as possible, the cheapest possible room

be·tre·ten betritt · betrat · hat betreten
etw betreten
to enter sth

husten
to cough

wie lange hustest du schon?
how long have you had that cough?

Schleim/Blut husten
to cough up mucus/blood

wehtun tut weh · tat weh · hat wehgetan
es tut hier weh
it hurts here

der Schnupfen
cold

die Erkältung
cold

(what is the difference between the two?)

ab|hö·ren
jdn abhören
to test sb

jdm das Herz abhören

to listen to or sound sb's heart

verschreiben
(verordnen): hat verschrieben
jdm etw [gegen etw akk] verschreiben
to prescribe sb sth [for sth]

[sich akk] ausruhen ruht aus · ruhte aus · hat ausgeruht
to [take [or have] a] rest
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:23 pm

I finished "Hören & Sprechen A2". Great course, I highly recommend it.
The last few lessons were hard in terms of vocabulary, but the vocabulary was very relevant. Travel announcements, weather reports, tv programs.
This was also the first language course I finished (Assimil: still stuck on lesson 75-ish).
After that I renewed reading the A2 reader "Timo darf nicht Sterben" that I had started 2 years back. Also finished that. My first reader. I noted down the unknown words in a notebook. I am now planning on going over it again, this time with audio

I have also been studying Clozemaster's 5000 most common words. I thank this forum for turning me on to Clozemaster. Expug's log I think. As I'm so stressed out, I go weeks without doing any proper studying. But I try to use Clozemaster everyday before I go to bed. It's a routine I've made. Turn off lights. Go to nightmode on Clozemaster (dark background), and do a few sets of multiple choice. I've played 22% of the 5000 most common word sentences (there are 7000 sentences, I've played 1500). I've only mastered 95 words :oops: I've also managed to accumulate a huge review log -- 900 sentences. Some days I cheat by only doing one set in order to maintain my "streak".

But still, it's something I guess.

Next steps: Finish going over "Timo darf nicht Sterben" mit audio.
Do the next A2 reader "Der Tote im See". I have the physical copy.
Recall grammar back from Hugo German.
Go over "Hören & Sprechen A2" again.
I need to eventually start Assimil again.

Words of the post (all from"Hören & Sprechen A2" ) :
unbedingt
absolute
absolutely

nicht unbedingt
not necessarily
(Is there a double negation going on here?)

die Strecke
distance
stretch

eine Strecke von zehn Kilometern zurücklegen
to cover [or do] a distance of ten kilometres

bis zur Berghütte ist es noch eine ziemliche Strecke zu gehen
it's still quite a [long] way to the mountain hut

betragen beträgt · betrug · hat betragen
to be

die Rechnung beträgt Euro 10
the bill comes [or amounts] to 10 euros

die Preisdifferenz beträgt Euro 378
the difference in price is [or comes to] 378 euros

auf|neh·men nimmt auf · nahm auf · hat aufgenommen
jdn/etw aufnehmen
to photograph [or take a photo[graph] of] sb/sth
to film sb/sth

diese Kamera nimmt alles sehr scharf auf
this camera takes very sharply focused photo[graph]s [or pictures]

eine Bestellung aufnehmen
to take an order

ein Diktat aufnehmen
to take a letter

jdn/etw aufnehmen
to record sb/sth

(aufheben):
etw [von etw dat] aufnehmen
to pick up sth sep [off sth]

(beginnen):
etw aufnehmen
to begin [or commence] sth

diplomatische Beziehungen mit einem Land aufnehmen
to establish diplomatic relations with a country

phrases:
der Lehrbetrieb wird wieder aufgenommen
classes resume

dieser Vorschlag wurde beifällig aufgenommen
this suggestion was favourably received

er wurde ins [o. im] Krankenhaus aufgenommen
he was hospitalized [or admitted to hospital]

vermutlich
probable
probably

der vermutliche Täter
the suspect

er·rei·chen erreicht · erreichte · hat erreicht
etw erreichen
to catch sth

jdn erreichen
to contact sb
to reach sb

im Verlauf einer S. gen
during [or in the course of] sth

vorstellen (gedanklich sehen): stellt vor · stellte vor · hat vorgestellt
sich dat etw vorstellen
to imagine sth

das muss man sich mal vorstellen!
just imagine [it]!

sich dat vorstellen, dass/wie ...
to think [or imagine] that/how ...

sich dat etw vorstellen
to have sth in mind

jdm jdn vorstellen
to introduce sb to sb

darf ich Ihnen meinen Bruder vorstellen?
may I introduce my brother?

etw erleben erlebt · erlebte · hat erlebt
to experience sth

was hast du denn alles in Dänemark erlebt?
what did you do/see in Denmark?

unser Land hat schon bessere Zeiten erlebt
our country has seen better times

erleben (kennen lernen):
jdn erleben
to get to know sb

Some silliness

Last edited by Peluche on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:41 pm

Finished going over "Timo darf nicht Sterben" again, this time with audio.

Finished a first pass over "Der Tote im See". Same author. I could follow the text without much difficulty, there were only a couple of places where I got stuck on a word. "Timo darf nicht Sterben" really helped in picking up basic vocab; it was by the same author so "Der Tote im See" was easy.

Continuing with Clozemaster 5000 most common words. One thing I'm not sure is whether this is only for words 4000-5000 words, or words 1-5000. The confusion comes from the fact that there are more sentences in the 4000 words option; and even more in the top 2000 words section.
Finally the "mastered sentences" meter moved. 210 sentences "mastered".

Next steps:
- Go over "Der Tote im See" again, this time with audio.
- Read "Lea? Nein danke" (different author). Another A2 reader.
- Recall grammar back from Hugo German.
- Go over "Hören & Sprechen A2" again.

Words of the post:

vor|stel·len stellt vor · stellte vor · hat vorgestellt
sich dat etw vorstellen
to imagine sth

stell dir mal vor
just imagine
das kann ich mir gut vorstellen
I can imagine that (well)
was haben Sie sich (als Gehalt) vorgestellt?
what (salary) did you have in mind?
der Anzug ist genau, was ich mir vorgestellt hatte
the suit is just what I had in mind

(= bedeuten) to mean
was stellst du dir unter diesem Wort vor?
what does this word mean to you?

unter dem Namen Schlüter kann ich mir nichts vorstellen
the name Schlüter doesn't mean anything [or means nothing] to me

jdm jdn vorstellen
to introduce sb to sb

darf ich Ihnen meinen Bruder vorstellen?
may I introduce my brother?

mer·ken merkt · merkte · hat gemerkt
sich dat etw merken
to remember sth

das werde ich mir merken!
I'll remember [or I won't forget] that!

diesen Schriftsteller wird man sich (dative) merken müssen
this author is someone to take note of

to notice,
to feel,
to realize

ich merke nichts!
I can't feel anything!
davon habe ich nichts gemerkt
I didn't notice anything
hat er dich etwas merken lassen?
did you notice anything in the way he behaved?
woran hast du das gemerkt?
how could you tell that?

er·in·nern erinnert · erinnerte · hat erinnert
sich akk an jdn/etw erinnern
to remember sb/sth

wenn ich mich recht erinnere, ...
if I remember correctly ...

erinnern an (+ accusative) to be reminiscent of
sie erinnert sehr an ihre Mutter
she reminds one very much of her mother

jdn daran erinnern, etw zu tun
to remind sb to do sth