NoManches - Spanish: B2-->C1 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
flippedsort
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Español (intermedio), Arabic (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18364

Re: Spanish: B2-->C1 Log (Super & 100 day challenge)

Postby flippedsort » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:35 pm

NoManches wrote:
I don't have any plans this weekend, here are my goals:

Watch a total of 8 hours of Spanish TV/Movies/YouTube videos. Read at least 200 pages. Converse in Spanish via skype for at least 4 hours. Only use Spanish during the weekend unless I absolutely need to. If my brain starts to hurt maybe I'll come back to the forum here and check out some language learning stuff in English as a break. I need to start making breakthroughs and this weekend I will start.

I am so impressed with how much work you're able to do/how high you set your goals!
0 x
: 0 / 18000 2X Super Challenge Films 18,000 minutes - 30 min/day
: 0 / 10000 2X Super Challenge Books 10,000 Pages - 16.5 pages/day
: 0 / 10000 SRS Challenge 10,000 cards

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:16 am

flippedsort wrote:
NoManches wrote:
I don't have any plans this weekend, here are my goals:

Watch a total of 8 hours of Spanish TV/Movies/YouTube videos. Read at least 200 pages. Converse in Spanish via skype for at least 4 hours. Only use Spanish during the weekend unless I absolutely need to. If my brain starts to hurt maybe I'll come back to the forum here and check out some language learning stuff in English as a break. I need to start making breakthroughs and this weekend I will start.

I am so impressed with how much work you're able to do/how high you set your goals!

Thanks! Unfortunately this weekend I did not reach my goals, but for a good reason. Let me explain:

On Friday & Saturday I watched a combined total of 213 minutes of YouTube videos. In reality, I watched a lot more than this, closer to 240 minutes. I wanted to keep myself honest though so I only counted the time I was intensively watching to the videos. So if I watched a 9 minute video but the last minute I was zoning out I would only count 8 minutes watched.

On Saturday & Sunday morning I was able to watch two episodes of my show, for a total of 80 minutes (again, the show is 45 minutes long but I factor in commercials and time when I check my phone, etc.).

So if my math is correct, on Friday, Saturday & Sunday I watched a combined total of 293 minutes of Spanish media. To make math simple we can round up to 300 minutes which comes out to 5 hours.

I am really disappointed because I could only log in 1 hour of Spanish conversation. A lot of my language buddies I normally practice with were busy but I was able to talk to a Mexican friend of mine for an hour on the phone. This was my very first phone call (I normally use skype), and I am glad to say that it went a lot smoother than I thought it would. People normally say that phone calls are hardest because you don't have visual clues. This particular call was easy (in my opinion) because I had to really focus on what the other person was saying and didn't have any outside distractions.

Now the reason I fell short of my goal is because I actually went to Mexico on Sunday (yes I am fortunate enough to live near the border). I was really committed to binge watching a season of my newest show but the opportunity to actually interact with Spanish speakers came up and I couldn't turn it down.

As for reading, I fell short of my goal but would say I read about 75 pages. I actually tried a new technique where I would read for 15 minutes (set a timer on my phone), then watch 10-15 minutes of youtube videos, then read for 15 minutes. I found this to be helpful because after 15-20 minutes of reading in Spanish I tend to skim over words and zone out.

All in all I had a successful weekend and hope to do better next weekend with more hours of Spanish read, spoken, and watched!
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 am

Sounds like you're doing great! Of course you did the right thing to go out and use Spanish instead of just logging the hours of input. Goal-setting isn't my thing but it seems to be working pretty well for you, so keep it up, but I think this is a good reminder that the goals aren't the main priority of language learning, they're just a means to an end to keep you on track. So there's no point in feeling bad about not reaching them, especially if it's because a better opportunity came up! It's the consistent effort over a longer period that counts, not whether you managed x hours of TV last weekend. Anyway like I say you seem to be doing it right and making good progress, and if you've gotten this far then you obviously know what works for you - I just wanted to give my perspective too.

I agree that YouTube is a great resource. I struggle to find the time to watch a lot of full TV episodes and films, but some ten minute YouTube videos here and there really add up. Plus the speech is usually less scripted and more natural, and you can choose videos about your interests and learn relevant vocabulary. It's one of my main sources of input too these days.
2 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:13 pm

A little update before I spend the rest of my night watching telenovelas and chatting on skype:

I have about 5 weeks left in my 100 day challenge and I am only somewhat happy with my progress. I understand that 100 days isn't a lot in the long run, and that 1,000 pages is barely anything and that 30 hours of TV isn't a whole lot. What is frustrating for me is the fact that I have already been studying the language for 4 years but my listening skills are still my weakest point despite the thousands of hours of listening I have done up until now :roll: . I won't become discouraged and will just keep pushing through, but can't wait for the day when I have the listening comprehension of a native speaker (or close to it).

Up until now I have logged in:

Reading: 829 pages
Conversation hours in Spanish: 29
TV/Movies watched: 1,170 minutes (19.5 hours)
449 minutes of YouTube videos (7.48 hours)
I have added between 5-10 new words to anki every day. Have used anki for 450+ days straight

I like giving myself measurable challenges because without them I have nothing else to push me to watch as much tv as I can, read as many books as I can, etc.

Tonight will be a "stay in and watch a ton of TV in Spanish and hope my comprehension gets a lot better".

Thanks for reading, and good luck to anybody who is in the same situation as me or is trying to reach the level I am at now. I still have a lot of work to do but this forum keeps me motivated (in addition to the love of the language I have).
4 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:19 pm

A few updates:

I just finished "El bosque de los pigmeos" by Isabel Allende, which is the third book in her series which follows Alexander Cold and Nadia Santos on adventures around the world. They are excellent books and I recommend them to anybody learning Spanish. I started reading "Como agua para chocolate" the other day. Compared to the first time I tried to read it, it is a lot easier this time around. It is tough going from Allendes style of writing to this style. Although the genere is basically the same, each author writes differently. I have also been watching an episode or two every night of my telenovela.

This has put me on track to finish my "100 day challenge" ahead of schedule. As a matter of fact, I plan on finishing the reading and TV portion by the end of tonight. After I reach my goal, I will probably increase it in order to keep making improvements before my trip to South America next month.

Here are my numbers so far:

pages read: 927/1000
TV minutes watched: 1630/1800
conversation hours in Spanish: 33/45

Although not part of my goal I have been trying to make YouTube videos a constant part of my Spanish diet. This week I was busy but so far I've logged in 534 minutes.

Here are a few observations I've made so far:

Listening: My listening skills are getting a lot better. They aren't perfect, but watching tons of TV without subtitles has forced me to listen and I can finally see improvements. I would rate my listening at a 7/10 for TV/movies and a 9/10 for conversations with native speakers (1 on 1).

reading: I feel like I've done more reading than i actually have. I need to seriously step up my game and start logging in a few hundred pages each week (that's what I would like at least). I have started to read more in order to become a better listener, not necessarily because I want awesome reading skills (a lot of people suggested that I do more reading to improve listening skills). It might be hard for me to tell, but so far my extra reading hasn't made a big improvement in my listening skills. Here is how I know why: sometimes during my telenovela I will hear a character say something. I will understand most of it but may have missed out on a few words. I will rewind, flip on the subtitles, and then actually have trouble reading and comprehending the subtitles!

My theory is this: If you can't understand the transcripts of what somebody said, there is no way in hell you are going to understand them when you take away the words on paper and can only rely on your listening.

I have noticed the same with some of my reading: I will read a paragraph and understand a good portion of it. But.....sometimes I will reread it to make sure I got everything especially if it seems very important. More often than not, the second time I will read everything and realize that there are a lot of things that are a bit blurry for me. In Spanish (and other languages I'm sure), you could misinterpret a conjugation and end up really confused at the end of a paragraph.

Here are my goals for today, and for the week.

Today:

I basically have the entire day off and no family obligations (everyone is out of town, I have the house to myself). I plan on alternating between my telenovela: El Señor de los Cielos, and the book I am currently reading: Como agua para chocolate. I plan on finishing the book today, and finishing at least 4-5 episodes of the show (I count each episode as only 40 minutes, but this should help me reach my 1,800 minute goal).

For the week: I have a new language partner who I will be working with each week. I'm hoping to squeeze in at least 4 hours of conversation practice each week with him, and a few more hours with other language partners and my tutor. If only I had more free time and more Spanish speaking freinds. I try not to think about it, but if I was getting at least 6 hours of conversation practice in a week my level would be so much higher :(

I plan on bumping up my TV/reading each day this week, and hope to knock out at least 12 episodes (40 minutes each) and a few hundred pages. Based on my schedule, these are very tough goals but I'm determined to bring myself up to a very solid C1 in Spanish.

Okay everyone, thanks for reading. I hope this log is somewhat useful or inspiring to other people. I mainly use it to keep track of my progress, motivation, goals, as I go along. If somebody else is reading it and getting ideas then I think that is awesome! As always, feel free to leave some comments or advice!
4 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 am

This is the second post I've made here today. This is an update from what I posted earlier:

As of today I have met my goals of watching 1800 minutes of TV and reading 1000 pages in Spanish (I actually have a few pages to go but will finish that after I make this post). I have decided to raise my reading goal by 500 more pages, and my TV goal by 800 minutes. I have 4 weeks until my trip, which means if I watch one 40 minute novela 5 times per week it will equal 800 minutes.

I have also decided to make YouTube videos a part of my "training". This is going to be very rough, but I will try to watch about 500 minutes of YouTube in the next 4 weeks.

With the YouTube and TV I've been watching I've noticed a few things: My listening is getting better but my accent is also improving. Before I couldn't do some of the Mexican/Colombian accents but after hearing them a lot in my show (and hearing the same people say the same thing over and over again) I can sort of imitate different accents which is kind of cool.

Something really big I want to point out about my reading:

I spent a few hours of my day today searching and searching for good books I could read in Spanish. I want something from Latin America (ideally Mexico or Colombia), and I want something FUN. This is so important. I tried reading Como agua para chocolate again and I just couldn't do it. It is so boring for me even though I can see why some people probably find it a great book. I finally came across a book called:

El libro salvaje

I had just finished a series from Isabel Allende and according to amazon the books were designed for grade levels 7-12 and ages 12-17. It's frustrating because I am an advanced Spanish speaker but my reading is not advanced by any means. Of the last 3 books I read, I would say I understood 90% of them. A LOT of words went over my head, but I basically understood what they meant based on context.

Anyway, El libro salvaje is designed for grades 4 and up and ages 9+ . It is actually a really good book so far and has a lot of good ratings online. For the first chapter or two I highlighted words I didn't know on each page just to keep track and there were about 2-3 words per page on my kindle that I didn't understand 100%.

It kind of stinks to admit it, but right now my extensive reading level is the same book a 9 year old Spanish speaker would read. Oh well. That's learning. I will plug away at this book and will probably do a lot of extensive reading in the next few weeks while I really try to focus on my listening skills.
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:05 am

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Theodore Boone series and the Alex Rider series when I was reading teen type level books (that are not about wizards or vampires). Both are translations from English so they might not suit you. There are at least five books in each series translated into Spanish and they are fun, easy reads.
1 x

Rebecca
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1821

Postby Rebecca » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:17 am

Hey there!

I'm not learning Spanish (yet?) but I just dropped by to let you know I read your log and find it very inspiring! :)
0 x
: 13 / 100 French Super Challenge - 100 Films
: 0 / 5000 French Super Challenge - 100 Books

Super Challenge Log

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:29 pm

James29 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Theodore Boone series and the Alex Rider series when I was reading teen type level books (that are not about wizards or vampires). Both are translations from English so they might not suit you. There are at least five books in each series translated into Spanish and they are fun, easy reads.

If I can't find anything else I will definitely give those a try! Thanks for the recommendations.

Rebecca wrote:Hey there!

I'm not learning Spanish (yet?) but I just dropped by to let you know I read your log and find it very inspiring! :)

I'm glad that you find it inspiring! Good luck with your language studies and if you ever pick up Spanish I may have some resources that can help you.
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

NoManches
Blue Belt
Spanish - B2 +

Postby NoManches » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm

The only thing I have to say right now:

I am extremely frustrated because I am still havng lots of "off days". I almost never have problems with my listening or reading skills being off, just my speaking skills. I don't think it is due to a lack of sleep or food (as suggested by a language partner of mine). I think these off days are triggered by going a day without speaking. Even if I listen to 5 hours of audio and read 5 chapters of a book, my speaking skills can still be off if I haven't been constantly using them.

This is very frustrating. Maybe the goal is to reach a level so high that even on your offer days you seem halfway fluent. I'm sure I'm being hard on myself but my goal is to have native like fluency every day, not every other day or once a week.

One thing I haven't been doing (but said I would do) is talk to myself or think to myself in Spanish on days I have no language partners to help me. Maybe it's time to stick with this idea...

Anybody else have these days?
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies

Spanish Books

Return to “Language logs”