Spanish from the beginning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
bard
White Belt
Languages: English (native), trying to learn Spanish

Re: Spanish from the beginning

Postby bard » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Did the first test on vocabulary in Madrigal's libro. I did not do as well as I would have liked but most of my problems were with replacing "y" in english on the end of words with "idad."
Note: computer changeover to Windows 10, so I may be a couple of days until I log next.
0 x

bard
White Belt

Postby bard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:08 am

On lesson numero doce in Madrigal's book. The other tests through chapter 11 went better, and I feel I could make steady progress in this book. However, I can't just keep going through it since I want to get to my Listening-Reading soon.
I also looked at an interesting website for spanish: [url][/url] http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html [url][/url]
It is not interesting for its content but rather the approach to learning.
0 x

bard
White Belt

Postby bard » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:45 am

I went up through the abecedario audio file on the website [url][/url] http://www.e-spanyol.hu/en/transcript.php [url][/url]
There are sooo many interesting website out there with free content. I really don't see why someone who has access to spanish speakers cannot eventually learn the language. I am very motivated right now.
1 x

creamsodafan
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2?)

Postby creamsodafan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:10 am

Motivation comes and goes, as do other responsibilities and obligations. I suppose that for a lot of people, learning a foreign language just isn't a high enough priority and they eventually struggle to keep going when real life intervenes.

If you can keep highly motivated then you should be able to make huge progress with Spanish. I think it's a language that appears to be extremely easy in the beginning stages but which quickly becomes fairly complex.

But as you say, there are so many learning resources that any reasonably determined learner should be able to make good progress.
0 x
: 2 / 13 Hugo Spanish In Three Months

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:55 pm

bard wrote:On lesson numero doce in Madrigal's book. The other tests through chapter 11 went better, and I feel I could make steady progress in this book. However, I can't just keep going through it since I want to get to my Listening-Reading soon.
I also looked at an interesting website for spanish: [url][/url] http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html [url][/url]
It is not interesting for its content but rather the approach to learning.

If you like that you'll love GLOSS:

https://gloss.dliflc.edu/
0 x

bard
White Belt

Postby bard » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:13 am

I bookmarked the gloss link. I am busy this week, but did manage to do lesson doce in Madirgal's book.
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:33 pm

bard wrote:I bookmarked the gloss link. I am busy this week, but did manage to do lesson doce in Madirgal's book.

The other great listening site to bookmark is:

http://www.spanishlistening.org/
0 x

Marais

Postby Marais » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:57 pm

I would just do what you like to do and do loads of it.
0 x

bard
White Belt

Postby bard » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:37 am

Re: Marais
It is funny, but I like many things, but don't make a lot of progress with some of them. For example, grammar is fascinating to me, but it doesn't give you the substance needed to actually speak or comprehend the language. This is the problem with what goes on in school today: they try to teach them the grammar of a language they don't know, while ignoring the grammar of their native language, strange.

Anyway, I am now on pagina cein of Madrigal's book and am through lesson trece.
0 x

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello bard,
nice log! So many resources, free and good.

bard wrote:It is funny, but I like many things, but don't make a lot of progress with some of them.

Yeah, I know that problem. And for me it isn't only with learning languages, but so many other things I like to do or would like to do that I don't know where to start and even if I start there always is something else...

bard wrote: This is the problem with what goes on in school today: they try to teach them the grammar of a language they don't know, while ignoring the grammar of their native language, strange.

I totally agree with you. I often think grammar is so important otherwise I build sentences wrong, but really, where is the problem with that? When you need to communicate, it often goes fairly well without perfect grammar. And somehow you get a feeling for grammar when you really immerse in a language. I learned english at school and we did so much grammar and stuff, but I wasn't able to build proper sentences at all. Then I started reading Harry Potter and watching american tv shows for teens and this massive input made me get a real feel for the language. I can't say my grammar is perfect, but I guess I build very decent sentences :D Actually with my mother tongue I have the opinion that it's ok to not know every rule. there are many rules, that everyone just neglects, but since everyone does this, why not kind of let the rules change. Static languages mostly are dead ones and tweaking rules is fine for me. I tend to forget this for foreign languages...

I don't own this Madrigal's book, but heard of it quite often. Would you also suggest this for a native speaker of other languages? because from the preview I think it links quite much to english, but I guess that would be fine for me.
0 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Return to “Language logs”