tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (~B2), Spanish (B1), Swedish (A1?)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Huh... Back from Germany and I'm waiting now for two parcels I sent to myself with more stuff. But I have now some winter clothes! And an easy reader for Germans learning Swedish. :D

Today was already the third work day. Friday there's also the company's pre-christmas party. I still have to learn to get out of bed so early in the morning. I guess it's now just as early as I can go. (I tried even earlier due to my studies for four years and it simply didn't work out.)
I also have to learn a lot of stuff for the job, as this particular area was not subject of my studies. (Maybe it would have been, if I had chosen 1-2 different study modules.)
And there's now so much Finnish. To be honest I'm very happy I didn't have to work too early in the language, because I guess it otherwise would have stressed me out a lot. I mean there's (nearly) everything in Finnish. The computer, the drawings, the talking etc. (There seems to be at least one computer programme that doesn't have a Finnish version.) I'm building a new set of technical vocabulary now. It's not that hard, as most of the times I can just understand the new words more or less, but better check the words just to be sure. But still they have to get into my active vocabulary. However, I have no doubts that they will go there at some point.
Honestly, I think the summer job in Finnish and English was a really good preparation.* Without it...
But it feels like I should make some grammar exercises again to avoid making too many stupid (grammar) mistakes. I should also write more.

It will be really interesting where my Finnish will be in one year from now, especially compared to English. Right now English is still easier, but when my brain gets Finnish input all day I notice, that Finnish becomes more and more dominant. The difference in the level is not that huge anymore, so that I think that at some point Finnish most likely becomes the language I'm more comfortable with.

In case anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

*edit: also in terms of bureaucracy it helped a lot, because they were used to foreign staff, so they knew how to handle this.
7 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30before30: 22 / 30

tiia
Green Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Today's Finnish question:
What's the usual way of expressing scales (mittakaava) orally? Like 1:500 or 1:50 or 1:250? I've probably heard someone saying it already, but I cannot remember...

edit: Wikipedia is helpful... it notes for 1:100 that it is read as "yhden suhde sataan", but really? I don't like declinating numbers, though scales at least don't use complicated numbers usually. But sometimes in everyday speech there are creative ways that are somehow easier. So... is there a simpler way than yhden suhde kahteensataanviiteenkymmeneen?
0 x

tiia
Green Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:58 am

My work-related Finnish vocabulary might slowly consolidate, anyway, this week I had been working more in English with the (one?) non-Finnish-speaking colleague. Lunch break conversations are still hard to follow, but that was the same in the summer and I think only half of it is language-induced, the other half might be based on not knowing the people so well yet.
Still, I haven't been doing much about Spanish and Swedish in the last months. Well, it's absolutely no surprise, but I think this should be changed somehow again.

So for Swedish I have been looking for courses, because having a suitable course worked quite well for me in the past. I found more or less two, that might work out from the level (while using the same book as before), the schedule and the location:
A. Swedish 5, using Rivstart chapters 14-16. (Swedish 6 would use chapter 17-20, but is location-wise too far away.) Contact hours: 39.
B. A fast review course of Swedish, using Rivstart chapters 13-20. Contact hours: 24.

Both start in the beginning of January and end during April. (The first one has 2,5h long lessons, the second one 1,5h). I'm really wondering, how one can be doing the Rivstart book that slow as in course A.
The prices are super low with just 32 and 38€, especially as I already have the book, which would be much more expensive here in Finland than in Germany (and I thought is was rather expensive in Germany...). While course A is probably more aimed at people such as me, who really learn Swedish anew, the review course tells that the teaching language (if not Swedish) is only Finnish, so no English option, which other courses do have. That might not be too bad for me, because it reduces the amount of mixing languages. And it underlines that course B is thought for Finns, who forgot their Swedish from school and have some old knowledge buried in the back of their minds.
However, because of the speed and my advantage of knowing German quite well, this is right now my prefered option, although the location and timing is maybe not as great as for course A.
Course B would be also a bit faster than the course I took at the university around a year ago, which ended around chapter 9/10. Though I did some chapters on my own, I'm also afraid that I didn't do anything for quite a long time and forgot quite something...

Any thoughts?

For Spanish I'm considering to look for a 1:1 language exchange, if I still get it somehow scheduled. But I wouldn't offer Finnish-Spanish, but German-Spanish or maybe also English-Spanish, if someone just wants to practise. I don't know how many Spanish speaking natives want to practise German. :?
Otherwise I would need to look at least for another TV series to continue with what I had been doing with Embrujadas (Charmed) at the beginning of this year. I suppose it really helped me to improve my listening skills. And having watched just one episode of Embrujadas today, after not doing anything for Spanish, it's good to see that my listening skills did not decrease due to doing nothing recently.

Oh, and I got myself a library card, because I was hoping to find some nice audio books in some language.

-------

Btw. I really like title of Cavesas new log: The year of changes - for me that was the motto of 2018, perhaps already starting at the end of 2017. And wow.. how has my life changed in this one year! Still constructing my new life here, but it's good for me to have more of a perspective what is going to happen and to be able to settle down a bit more. There will be still quite some follow up things going on in 2019, but I'm not expection too huge changes. I don't know how much the total amount of stress will be reduced, as there might be stress at work, but at least it's not immediately about my existance, my future and everything. It's calming me down knowing that next weeks, months and even years* I will go to work and also that I'm having some kind of regular income etc. It's still a bit overwhelming though that those decisions are done for now as everything went so fast and I haven't felt in such a "save" position for maybe the last 5 years? Or even longer? (My exchange year was a quite save time though.)
Met someone yesterday whom I had seen a very few times here, last time when I just ended the summer job and moved to the current flat. He also noticed that there was quite some difference or at least that the situation back then had made me feel quite stressed.

*Even if I realise that I'd rather look for another work place my whole perspective would be different once that I gained work experience.

PS. I just leave a link to the post withsome thoughts about moving to Finland to find a job or not from one year ago. I tried to get input from as many people as possible at that time...
6 x

naqvisson
White Belt
Languages: English, Urdu/Hindi (N), Punjabi, Sariaki, Finnish (A1), Swedish (B1/B2),
Studies: German, French!
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ch#p128541

Postby naqvisson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pm

tiia wrote:My work-related Finnish vocabulary might slowly consolidate, anyway, this week I had been working more in English with the (one?) non-Finnish-speaking colleague. Lunch break conversations are still hard to follow, but that was the same in the summer and I think only half of it is language-induced, the other half might be based on not knowing the people so well yet.
Still, I haven't been doing much about Spanish and Swedish in the last months. Well, it's absolutely no surprise, but I think this should be changed somehow again.

So for Swedish I have been looking for courses, because having a suitable course worked quite well for me in the past. I found more or less two, that might work out from the level (while using the same book as before), the schedule and the location:
A. Swedish 5, using Rivstart chapters 14-16. (Swedish 6 would use chapter 17-20, but is location-wise too far away.) Contact hours: 39.
B. A fast review course of Swedish, using Rivstart chapters 13-20. Contact hours: 24.

Both start in the beginning of January and end during April. (The first one has 2,5h long lessons, the second one 1,5h). I'm really wondering, how one can be doing the Rivstart book that slow as in course A.
The prices are super low with just 32 and 38€, especially as I already have the book, which would be much more expensive here in Finland than in Germany (and I thought is was rather expensive in Germany...). While course A is probably more aimed at people such as me, who really learn Swedish anew, the review course tells that the teaching language (if not Swedish) is only Finnish, so no English option, which other courses do have. That might not be too bad for me, because it reduces the amount of mixing languages. And it underlines that course B is thought for Finns, who forgot their Swedish from school and have some old knowledge buried in the back of their minds.
However, because of the speed and my advantage of knowing German quite well, this is right now my prefered option, although the location and timing is maybe not as great as for course A.

Well i had taken a week long intensive course where they would cover one chapter of rivstart every day....and it lasted from 10 am till 2 pm...but believe me it was toooo much time and concentration issues arise....

I personally would not suggest you to go to the course rather i would humbly suggest you to do it by yourself while commuting plus a better option would be to come to Luckan for Swedish Language cafe...from september till december it was tuesday every week from 5:00-6:30 just next to kaampi....

Then there is also offered spoken swedish at Helsingfors Arbis but i know not if timings will be suitable for you...

Similarly there is another forum, "Nordic Forum" language cafe...but it is not that frequent...

Library resources are really great here...p.s. you can get 20 pages printout every day, free of charge :-)
1 x

tiia
Green Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, naqvisson. However, I looked out for classes, because I already realised that self learning obviously doesn't work out right now. I don't know how much it depends on my current level, the language itself and my situation. I just see, that I haven't really done anything since April, apart from very few days of Anki and reading one story in a graded reader... And I'm not even a huge fan of SRS. So this would be the attempt of not losing everything I already learned and even progressing. Taking classes worked out in the past very well for me when they were the right ones for me. They even worked out, when I wasn't able to do pretty much anything else.

I had also written something in regards of Swedish, me and class room settings in language learning in the beginning of this year, so I'm just lazy and link it here.(The post linked and the one directly underneath belong together.)

It's already quite late, so I'll keep my answer short. At least for now. (I came home >1 hour ago from some really amazing concert.)
1 x

naqvisson
White Belt
Languages: English, Urdu/Hindi (N), Punjabi, Sariaki, Finnish (A1), Swedish (B1/B2),
Studies: German, French!
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ch#p128541

Postby naqvisson » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Ahaan, if the classes work out for you then the best thing to do is to take one :-). I have never been able to learn in the class...my calculations in this regard are very simple:

a. Time required to get ready to go the class.
b. Waiting time plus travel time to reach the school.
c. Travel time from school till home.

If a+b+c are more than the time I have to spend in the class, i would normally skip the class...that has been the way I have been thinking....however language café suits me alot...

Have you tried Assimil Schwedisch?
0 x

tiia
Green Belt

Postby tiia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Hyvää uutta vuotta!

Laser_small.png
Laser_small.png (196.05 KiB) Viewed 236 times

Lähetin vielä viestin ruotsin kurssin opettajalle. Toivottavasti saan vastauksen ajoissa, koska kurssi alkaa kohta.
Muuten sain viimeks pankkitunnukset (eikä pankkitiliä) kuntoon, eli voin nyt käyttää kaikki nuo verkkopalvelut esim. veroa varten. Voin sitte lähettää Kela-hakemuksenkin verkossa. Oli vain hankala, ettei kukaan pankissa näytti ymmärtämään, mitä se ongelma oikeasti oli... :roll: Oli just semmonen asia, mitä ei voi koskaan tapahtua suomalaisille...

Töissä ei kaikki ollu jo huomannu, että mä tuun ulkomaasta. Eli tänään oli kyse, voinko keksiä jotain saksan kielen kautta. (En osannut.) Toinen sitte kysyi multa: "Osaatko saksaa?" Vastasin, että osaan. :D Joku muu vielä selitti, että tuun Saksasta.
Katsotaan, kuinka usein joku vielä ihmettelee tästä, mutta luultavasti suurin osa tietää sen nyt. Ehkä.
Mun työsanasto on edelleen kasvamassa.

A new year begins. Sent a message to the teacher of one of the above mentioned courses. Let's hope I'll receive an answer.
I wonder if I should get a new log title.. In March this log is already 3 years old and there have been quite a lot of significant changes.

PS. In case anyone wondered: I had answered the last message via pm.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Green Belt
Languages: en-us (n)

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Beyond "Hyvää uutta vuotta" I'm pretty lost with reading in Finnish, but congrats on keeping a log for (nearly) 3 years. I love that picture of what I assume is a laser show for New Year's Eve--if so, I love that idea and would strongly prefer it to my fellow Americans' fixation with igniting unnecessarily loud, marginally safe explosives to celebrate things. Hope you have good, successful new year!
0 x

tiia
Green Belt

Postby tiia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 am

Cèid Donn wrote:Beyond "Hyvää uutta vuotta" I'm pretty lost with reading in Finnish, but congrats on keeping a log for (nearly) 3 years. I love that picture of what I assume is a laser show for New Year's Eve--if so, I love that idea and would strongly prefer it to my fellow Americans' fixation with igniting unnecessarily loud, marginally safe explosives to celebrate things. Hope you have good, successful new year!

Yep, a New Year's eve laser show it was. Though Finns seem to have these kind of official stuff some hours before midnight, which is still kind of weird for me. As far as I know Espoo was the first city in Finland that had a laser show instead of fireworks, but they had not done anything on New Year's Eve for quite some time before. So no one would have been able to complain, that there are no official fireworks. :D Anyway people still used fireworks on their own. Sweden and Norway seem to have gone already some steps further in this regard. But I think also in Finland there will be some more changes in the future. (At least there are discussions regarding this.)

Btw. I have now updated the first post again, mainly the list of interesting posts/posts for navigation.
0 x

tiia
Green Belt

Postby tiia » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Finally I made the decision regarding the Swedish course yesterday evening, because the course started already today. Aaaand it ended up being the one I had previously not seriously considered and therefore not listed here:
tiia wrote:So for Swedish I have been looking for courses, because having a suitable course worked quite well for me in the past. I found more or less two, that might work out from the level (while using the same book as before), the schedule and the location:

The thing was just, that it covers more or less the same chapters as course A, but is more expensive. It's even on the same day of the week.

So why? In my opinion course B had looked quite good.
Thanks to my idea asking the course teacher, I got the info that they had by far not gotten through as many chapters as they had expected, when the course programm for the next semester was printed. I estimated that this course would end up being rather useless for me then. A big thanks in this case to the teacher who had answered my email! (Remember I had contacted last year another Swedish teacher in Germany, who had never replied.)
Then course A had already started last week and though there was one spot left (of around 20!) I skimmed again through the whole course list, looked which courses were using Rivstart and saw again this slightly more expensive course. (Btw. it's still cheaper than my evening classes in Germany had been.) Weekday was the same as course A, but the time a bit later, but earlier than course B (on another workday) would have been.
Thinking back and forth the time was also just the most suitable one when coming directly from work, plus, it's the closest course location to my home.
And in contrast to the other two courses, which were nearly fully booked, we're now only around 8 students.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”