tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:20 pm

It is done. I wrote the exam.
Now I'll have to wait for about two months for the results to arrive.

There were only few people taking the YKI ylin taso (=upper level). The intermediate level is much more common. However, it looked like a lot of people will actually not participate in the end, so it didn't even seem like there were so many more for the intermediate level, when I arrived. (Directly after the arrival we were split, so I haven't seen those afterwards anymore). Out of the 8 places for the upper level, which were originally full, we were actually just five. (They also knew that beforehand, so there were no super spontaneous no-shows.) Places in the rooms were all readily assigned and I was lucky to be seated always next to the window.

It started with listening and speaking in the language studio (kielistudio), which I found quite unfortunate, as I somehow was extremely nervous and couldn't really calm down there. Actually, I only calmed down during the interview, which I had more or less directly after the part in the language studio. The studio part is so, that all will hear the recording at the same time and once it is started, it won't stop, but just continue from one task to the next one, except maybe if you tell the examiners that you have an issue.
After the part in the language studio the 5 people were split into two groups - two doing first reading and then the interview and three first doing the interview and then reading. This was done to eliminate waiting times as effectively as possible.
After the interview there was a small moment of waiting to let the other two finish their reading part first and because in one interview they had forgotten to do the second part.
Then I continued with reading, which was quite ok. I'd definitely would have preferred this as a start in the morning to the language studio part. It would have been easier to actually calm down and also warm up language-wise.
Before writing there was a small break - the only break for eating. (Bring your own food.) Writing went okay I think. It may not even be the worst part, though I assume it to be my weakest area in reallife. :D

Some remarks about the tasks:
The first writing task out of three was quite difficult for me as it was about writing instructions related to work. I mean that would be ok, if the task is applicable to your own work. But if it isn't that easy? I had either the choice to come up with some other workplace out of the blue or ignoring the instructions slightly and write it to a colleague instead. So, I first jumped over the task and did the second one instead and then wrote the first to a colleague, because I couldn't come up with an alternative workplace. And because you may want to make sure not to write about actual projects, you still have to make something up anyway. But since my work is not necessarily known to language researchers, this may now end up being problematic. (I tried to make it still understandable...)
Even worse the was with talking: Talk about a person you admire and why... I don't admire anyone? So I was trying to make up some kind of story, but of course you cannot make up a fancy story within a minute and then talk about it for 1-1,5 min...)
Anyway making something up out of the blue is indeed a skill you should have if you want to perform well. Especially in speaking, because you don't have time to think. (Luckily I knew that beforehand.)

When it comes to the answering times: If it was multiple choice, it was ok. When you had to write something on your own in the listening part the time was quite tight. When it came to reading and writing I was surprised how well the times matched with my own speed. Due to the preparation course, where we were told to speed up, I had just put into mind that in contrary I should not stress out too much, but do it in my own pace and I'd probably be fine. (In that course I tried to speed up, ended up being done way before the time was over but with pretty weak results. Trying to correct some stuff - because I had time - may have made the whole thing even worse. So I learned, that I actually do have enough time, if I just work on the task.)

So all in all: I think I could have performed better with the skills that I already have. Especially in the beginning nervosity was a bit counterproductive. But I think in total it went still quite good.
(Just afterwards I find it sad to know that I definitely said something wrong in the interview as I had to spontaneously think of what that word could be in Finnish. I chose the right words, but the wrong cases. I don't know how this will be counted, as it is certainly not a word/fixed combination of words one could expect someone to know in every language.)

But I have participated and that is the most important for now. :!:

(And now it should definitely be late enough that this post should not affect anyone doing the test. Even though they collect your mobile devices anyway. So no access to the internet before you have handed in the last paper.)
Last edited by tiia on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:24 pm

I still wanted to add some list of topics of the actual YKI ylin taso exam. Unfortunately I don't remember all of them, but it may be useful for others preparing for the exam as there are far too few resources to prepare for it. I have added some blank lines for the topics that I probably did not remember.

As someone preparing for the exam should already have a decent level of Finnish, I won't translate the topics. In case I find more texts than just one somewhere online, I may add a link to them later.

Reading/Lukeminen:
-
-
Luonto ja velka [Artikkeli]
Optinen ala ja ketjuttaminen
Apollo-perhonen
Rock-yhtye, Osakeyhtiö, (musiikki ja sijoittaminen)
Kulturelli (2 kommenttia kulttuurialan leikkauksista)
Revontulien bongaaminen

Listening/Kuunteleminen
Merimiespäivä ja pelastaminen (tavara, ihmishenkeä)
Muutto uuteen asuntoon ja säästäminen
-
Mukien keräily ja miksi jotkut (esimerkkinä yksi muumimuki) ovat niin arvokaisia
-
Kuiva iho talvella, UV-säteen puute

Speaking/Puhuminen
1. Ihanne (henkilö), miksi jne. (30-60s aikaa miettiä asiasta, sitten 1,5-2 min puhuminen.)
2. Tilanteita (aina 20s tehtävän lukeminen, 20s puhuminen.)
-
- Lapset sotkevat pihaa. Pysähdy ne.
- Hyvä uutinen. Soitto ystäville
- Autossa on vika. Soitto huoltokeskukselle
-
-
-
3. (mieti n. 30s, sitten 1,5-2 min puhuminen)

Interview/Haastattelu
(Pick two topics out of 4 / Poimi kaksi teemaa neljästä.)
A) Istumisen vähentäminen
B)
C)
D) Vanhempien laittamat kuvat omista lapsista netissä

Writing/Kirjoittaminen
1. Sijainen tulee töihin kun olet lomalla. Mitä on tehtävä ja miten. Työkalut jne?
2. Viesti: Kuntaliitynnän yhteydessä palvelut ovat heikentyneet. Keksi mitkä palvelut (kaksi) ja mitä haluat muuttaa.
3. Valitse yksi teema ja kirjoita mielipidekirjoitus:
A. Ruoan alkuperä on tärkeä,
B. Pitäisikö (työpaikalla) puhua mielenterveysongelmista avoimemmin?
4 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 am

Happy New Year!
At the end of this week I'm travelling back from my christmas holidays to Finland. Have met a lot of friends during the holidays, which was really nice and honestly a surprise I got to meet so many in so little time. What may come as a surprise is, that I did not only spent the time in Germany, but travelled to the Basque Country, too. :oops:

This was mainly because, I wanted to meet my friend again and due to being sick for so long during autumn, I got quite some vacation days back. When I then realised that I can indeed make the journey from my parents' to my friend's place within a day (using trains), I just had to take that opportunity.

So here a picture of one of the villages we visited this time. Isn't it cute?
Mutriku.jpg

Language wise not too much new stuff. Probably I forgot to mention a lot before, so.. I don't know. However, I've heard that some people have gotten their YKI results already, so I am really eager to see whether I got mine via mail, too. And of course I want to know the results! But I still have to wait at least until Sunday, when I get back home.

I'm already thinking what to do this year. I'll take a course at the open university (but that has to do with my profession), and learn more Basque. Also considering to take another YKI exam, but then in Swedish and at the B-level. However, that requires that I have passed the Finnish exam, otherwise Finnish would be way more important to me. Oh and maybe a DELE one day... (Thinking about B2, as I have a UNICert, which already says B1, but well... Who accepts UNICert exams?)
Could be interesting to actually make use of all the exam opportunities that I have at a doorstep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:27 am

I HAVE THE RESULTS! 8-)

Listening: C1
Speaking C1
Reading: C2
Writing: C1

Previously I expected that reading was the best skill, and so it is. Otherwise not much of a surprise. But I'm glad I finally have it! :D

And I guess I should finally update the level in my profile.
19 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:42 am

tiia wrote:I HAVE THE RESULTS! 8-)

Listening: C1
Speaking C1
Reading: C2
Writing: C1

Previously I expected that reading was the best skill, and so it is. Otherwise not much of a surprise. But I'm glad I finally have it! :D

And I guess I should finally update the level in my profile.
Outstanding! Well done You :-)
6 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:59 am

Congrats! Very nice. :D
6 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:01 pm

Thank you all so much!

----
Now that Finnish isn't top priority, because the test is done and I'm not planning to take another one in the near future, I have again time for other languages.
(In case I ever want to work in the public sector in a job that requires a university degree I may actually have to do another test. That would mean YKI C2 in everything or Valtiohallinnon kielitutkinto, because the C1 results I got only translate as "good" skills and not as "excellent" ones. I'm not sure whether there could be any exceptions depending on the job, but the general requirement is tough. It's would also require Swedish skills to a varying degree depending on the place. But in places with Finnish as a primary language, it's absolutely doable.)

For the beginning of the year I have quite some planes:

- I am more and more intrigued to take YKI keskitaso (B1-B2) in Swedish rather soonish, which would mean the 15th of April. Btw. YKI exams are always on a Saturday which makes it pretty easy considering normal office hours, but anything else than Finnish B1-B2 isn't offered very often. The sign up for the test in April will start on the first of February, so not too much time, if I want to save myself a spot in the region and not travel through the country.
So I should think about what to do with Swedish until April as I should definitely practice more.

- I'm going to participate in an Open University course from the Uni Helsinki. It's starting next week until the beginning of March. It's completely online, which I'm quite biased about, because I'm not a fan of doing too much online, but I'm still quite excited to learn somthing new and how everything will turn out. I expect it to be quite some work (5 ECTS in ~6 weeks), but if it turns out I can handle it well enough with all the other activities that I do, I may take another course directly after that. The course is, however, not language-related at all, except that it is held in Finnish.

- And Basque. I really want to do more Basque. (More on that below.)

- Well and then there's all the rest: the language cafe, meeting my language exchange partner, dancing (spoke some Spanish there this week :lol: ), wanting to start some other sport/fitness, singing (until mid April at least), going to a concert and to the theatre etc. I feel like I really want to break out of the Covid monotony. All the stagnation was/is definitely not good for my mental health.

---------
So Basque. I finally had again a bit time for it and I try to get a regular study pattern into the weekly schedule. There are two time slots that I'd reserve for it every week. - Before the language cafe and before the Choir singing. Both times I should be able to make it to a library just before that, just to sit down and do something. I still use the book, but also shifted to a youtube course from a channel called Basque Lingua. There's about 24 videos as an introductory course and some other as additional info.
I searched for something on youtube, because I noticed the progression in the book is quite steep and I would need something to learn and repeat the words. As a nice side effect I also get to hear the words not just in the one recording for the book. The videos also cleared up how the sentence structure works, which is great, because I did struggle with it.
As a third "resource" I have my friend, with whom I text and who can tell me if I made some mistake. It finally makes sense to learn the words for the daily routine early on, because I have an actual use for them.
What I find surprising though is that Basque is the first language where the perfect tense is introduced before one can use the present tense properly. (I can only use the present tense with 6-7 verbs for now.)
I guess this will actually make some sense later on, because the perfect is indeed rather easy and the other tenses may be more complicated. And since there's so much other stuff going on as well, it may make sense to concentrate on one thing at the time. We will see.
But I found it at least noteworthy.
8 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:00 pm

What language does your choir sing in? :-)
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:58 pm

DaveAgain wrote:What language does your choir sing in? :-)

Finnish. Only once there was a single stanza in Swedish, which was a bit weird.

Dancing is for now more of a mess when it comes to languages. Already used three different ones there, though it's usually just two (English with the teacher and Finnish with everyone else). :D

Btw. the region is very multicultural. When I go to my favorite local ice rink (it's free!), it's normal to hear 4-5 different languages around you. Could be more, but I don't recognize all of them. Finnish, Swedish, Spanish and English are rather normal, so my choice of languages is being served quite well.
6 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:39 pm

I registered for a Swedish exam today. I did wait until 9:59:59 and then refreshed the page as fast as possible, scrolled down and clicked the link. Luckily I had checked where in the list was the link for my favorite test center beforehand. It showed me in that moment that already 6 places out of 30 for that test center were taken. When I had finished my registration 10:03 all the places of this test center and also all the places at my second favorite one were full. I mean I expected the places to be filled in pretty fast, especially at my first choice, because this test center is really central and extremly good contected by public transport. (The only one I have a direct bus connection to.) But maybe I did not expect it to be that fast.
All the other locations filled in a bit more slowly. And in some places there may still be places left, especially if it's not a test at the intermediate level.
But indeed.. this can be crazy if you want a certain spot.

Btw. the prices for the YKI exam (which is what I do here) have risen 15€ for each level. So:
Basic level (perustaso): 2022: 120€ -> now: 135€
Intermediate level (keskitaso): 2022:140€ -> now: 155€
Upper level (ylin taso): 2022: 180€ -> now: 195€
Luckily I did the Finnish test already last year :)

So for now I try to practice more Swedish at the language cafe and maybe listen to some podcast. In March I will probably start to prepare more. But since I know myself, I won't be going crazy about the preparation. I mean I should have already done the real work before. Now it's more about reminding myself of some details, that I may have forgotten.Later on I should add writing practice a bit, as that is typically the weakest point.
In the end it's about getting a paper stating that I actually know something.
Btw. in the language cafe are two other Swedish learners that will take that test in April. We'll see whether we may have gotten a spot at the same test facility or not.

-----------
Btw. something that I forgot to add in previous posts: I got Gramatica de uso del español for Christmas. But I will only start using it, once I have more time to actually focus more on Spanish. This probably won't be before May.
And then I may decide to take the DELE exam at the end of the year? :D
7 x

Return to “Language logs”