tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, naqvisson. However, I looked out for classes, because I already realised that self learning obviously doesn't work out right now. I don't know how much it depends on my current level, the language itself and my situation. I just see, that I haven't really done anything since April, apart from very few days of Anki and reading one story in a graded reader... And I'm not even a huge fan of SRS. So this would be the attempt of not losing everything I already learned and even progressing. Taking classes worked out in the past very well for me when they were the right ones for me. They even worked out, when I wasn't able to do pretty much anything else.

I had also written something in regards of Swedish, me and class room settings in language learning in the beginning of this year, so I'm just lazy and link it here.(The post linked and the one directly underneath belong together.)

It's already quite late, so I'll keep my answer short. At least for now. (I came home >1 hour ago from some really amazing concert.)
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

naqvisson
White Belt
Languages: English, Urdu/Hindi (N), Punjabi, Sariaki, Finnish (A1), Swedish (B1/B2),
Studies: German, French!
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ch#p128541

Postby naqvisson » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Ahaan, if the classes work out for you then the best thing to do is to take one :-). I have never been able to learn in the class...my calculations in this regard are very simple:

a. Time required to get ready to go the class.
b. Waiting time plus travel time to reach the school.
c. Travel time from school till home.

If a+b+c are more than the time I have to spend in the class, i would normally skip the class...that has been the way I have been thinking....however language café suits me alot...

Have you tried Assimil Schwedisch?
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Hyvää uutta vuotta!

Laser_small.png

Lähetin vielä viestin ruotsin kurssin opettajalle. Toivottavasti saan vastauksen ajoissa, koska kurssi alkaa kohta.
Muuten sain viimeks pankkitunnukset (eikä pankkitiliä) kuntoon, eli voin nyt käyttää kaikki nuo verkkopalvelut esim. veroa varten. Voin sitte lähettää Kela-hakemuksenkin verkossa. Oli vain hankala, ettei kukaan pankissa näytti ymmärtämään, mitä se ongelma oikeasti oli... :roll: Oli just semmonen asia, mitä ei voi koskaan tapahtua suomalaisille...

Töissä ei kaikki ollu jo huomannu, että mä tuun ulkomaasta. Eli tänään oli kyse, voinko keksiä jotain saksan kielen kautta. (En osannut.) Toinen sitte kysyi multa: "Osaatko saksaa?" Vastasin, että osaan. :D Joku muu vielä selitti, että tuun Saksasta.
Katsotaan, kuinka usein joku vielä ihmettelee tästä, mutta luultavasti suurin osa tietää sen nyt. Ehkä.
Mun työsanasto on edelleen kasvamassa.

A new year begins. Sent a message to the teacher of one of the above mentioned courses. Let's hope I'll receive an answer.
I wonder if I should get a new log title.. In March this log is already 3 years old and there have been quite a lot of significant changes.

PS. In case anyone wondered: I had answered the last message via pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Beyond "Hyvää uutta vuotta" I'm pretty lost with reading in Finnish, but congrats on keeping a log for (nearly) 3 years. I love that picture of what I assume is a laser show for New Year's Eve--if so, I love that idea and would strongly prefer it to my fellow Americans' fixation with igniting unnecessarily loud, marginally safe explosives to celebrate things. Hope you have good, successful new year!
0 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 am

Cèid Donn wrote:Beyond "Hyvää uutta vuotta" I'm pretty lost with reading in Finnish, but congrats on keeping a log for (nearly) 3 years. I love that picture of what I assume is a laser show for New Year's Eve--if so, I love that idea and would strongly prefer it to my fellow Americans' fixation with igniting unnecessarily loud, marginally safe explosives to celebrate things. Hope you have good, successful new year!

Yep, a New Year's eve laser show it was. Though Finns seem to have these kind of official stuff some hours before midnight, which is still kind of weird for me. As far as I know Espoo was the first city in Finland that had a laser show instead of fireworks, but they had not done anything on New Year's Eve for quite some time before. So no one would have been able to complain, that there are no official fireworks. :D Anyway people still used fireworks on their own. Sweden and Norway seem to have gone already some steps further in this regard. But I think also in Finland there will be some more changes in the future. (At least there are discussions regarding this.)

Btw. I have now updated the first post again, mainly the list of interesting posts/posts for navigation.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Finally I made the decision regarding the Swedish course yesterday evening, because the course started already today. Aaaand it ended up being the one I had previously not seriously considered and therefore not listed here:
tiia wrote:So for Swedish I have been looking for courses, because having a suitable course worked quite well for me in the past. I found more or less two, that might work out from the level (while using the same book as before), the schedule and the location:
A. Swedish 5, using Rivstart chapters 14-16. (Swedish 6 would use chapter 17-20, but is location-wise too far away.) Contact hours: 39.
B. A fast review course of Swedish, using Rivstart chapters 13-20. Contact hours: 24.

The thing was just, that it covers more or less the same chapters as course A, but is more expensive. It's even on the same day of the week.

So why? In my opinion course B had looked quite good.
Thanks to my idea asking the course teacher, I got the info that they had by far not gotten through as many chapters as they had expected, when the course programm for the next semester was printed. I estimated that this course would end up being rather useless for me then. A big thanks in this case to the teacher who had answered my email! (Remember I had contacted last year another Swedish teacher in Germany, who had never replied.)
Then course A had already started last week and though there was one spot left (of around 20!) I skimmed again through the whole course list, looked which courses were using Rivstart and saw again this slightly more expensive course. (Btw. it's still cheaper than my evening classes in Germany had been.) Weekday was the same as course A, but the time a bit later, but earlier than course B (on another workday) would have been.
Thinking back and forth the time was also just the most suitable one when coming directly from work, plus, it's the closest course location to my home.
And in contrast to the other two courses, which were nearly fully booked, we're now only around 8 students.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:22 am

On taas lähes 2 viikkoa, että kirjoitin tässä viime kerta.
Töissä mulla oli nyt ekakerta ollut kirjoitustehtäviä. Lyhyitä viestiä toisille suunnittelijoille ja yks selvitys /raportti. Selvityksen kirjoittaminen oli mulle aika selvästi vielä liian haastava. Sain lopuksi aika paljon apua työkaverilta, eli hän kirjoitti lähes kaiken, mitä en voinut just kopioida toisesta tekstistä. Samalainen selvitys mun pitäis tehdä myös ens viikolla, niin varoitin jo, että tarvitsen aika todennäköisesti taas apua. Joo.. mutta varmasti kehitän vielä ne kirjoittamistaidot kunhan saan lisää kokemusta.
Työsanasto tulee paremmaks, mutta tietysti opin edelleen uusia sanoja. Erityisesti erilaisten pintamateriaalien nimiä.

Mitä vähän harmittaa mua tässä foorumissa on se, että kun kirjoitan tänne jotain suomeks, saan huomattavasti vähemmän reaktiota. Mutta mulle ois selvästi hyötyä kirjoittaa enemmän suomeks. :? Voisin tietysti kääntää kaiken vielä englanniks, mutta oon kuitenkin vielä vähän laiskaa...

-----
Summary in English:
1. Some stuff about work and writing stuff there.
2. I find it a bit sad, that when I write entries in Finnish many people won't be able to read them and therefore there are less reactions. Anyway, I should write more in Finnish, because I do need the practice. Roughly translating all the Finnish parts into English afterwards is not really convenient either.

I guess that's the kind of disadvantage you just get for learning a language that is not learned by too many other people around here.

Btw. I'm still rather lazy with Swedish, but having a course at least makes me doing something. A pro of the course is that I also get to know some more differences between the Swedish from Sweden and from Finland.
Last edited by tiia on Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 pm

More writing in other languages than English. Of course the summary in (bad) English does not include everything. Stylistically it's much worse than the Finnish version. On purpose somehow. ;)

Aloitin katsomaan Babylon Berlinin suomenkielisella tekstityksellä. Yritin ensin ilman tekstitystä, mutta realisoin, että ilmeisesti tarvitsen ne. Ai mitä? Saksalainenko tarvitsee suomenkielista tekstitystä katsoakseen saksalaista TV-sarjaa? :D
Juuri näin. Koska 1. joskus puhutaan venäjää. Saksankielistä tekstitystä ei ole saatavilla yle.areenassa, niin muuten en ymmärtäisi silloin mitään. 2. Silloin tällöin äänet ovat niin hiljaista, että luin vain tekstityksen, vaikka en ollut huomannut, että puhuttiin. Ne lauseet eivät olleet todella tärkeitä, mutta on kiinnostava huomata ne erot.

I started watching Babylon Berlin on yle.areena. First without subtitles, but then I realised, it's better to turn them on in order to understand more. It's a German series. The subtitles are in Finnish.

Ihmettelen, onks mun suomen kielen aksentti tullut liian hyväksi. :D Meillä oli jokin Cafe Lingua, ja kaikilla oli lappu, mistä luki hänen äidinkielensä. Niin mun tapauksessa "German". Puhuin kuitenkin juuri alussa paljon suomea, ja joku suomalainen oli aivan epävarmaa, olenko nyt suomalainen, joka just osaa niin hyvin saksaa, että suosin sitä vai olenko saksalainen. Tottakai mun etunimi on aina semmonen toinen asia, kunhan se on yleisempi Suomessa kuin Saksassa ja sitä pidetäänkin täällä suomalaisena, vaikka se ei oikeastaan oo. (Luin, että nimi olisi tullut Venäjältä tai Ruotsista.) Mutta se tyyppi vielä huomasi sitten, että oon saksalainen. (Mutta ehkä vain koska hän oikeasti mietti siitä.)

Toinen tilanne oli töissä. Vaikka työkaveri ehkä olisi voinut tietää, etten ollut vielä niin kauan Suomessa, hän kuitenkin oli ajattellut, että oon ollu täällä jo pari vuotta, eikä vain 8 kk. (Me puhuttiin aiemmin jo esim. siitä, milloin olin ollut vaihto-opiskelija ja että haen jouluna polkupyörä Saksasta.)

Muuten rekisteröin nyt vakinaisen osoitteen Suomessa. (Aikaisemmin oli vain tilapäinen.) Mitä nyt vielä puuttuu on uusi asunto.

It seems my Finnish accent is extremely/pretty good.
1. There was some language cafe, where someone really was unsure about me being a Finn or a German, although everyone there had their native language written on a sign. He thought, that maybe I just like German so much... Took him a while to notice. And my first name always helps giving such an impression..
2. I might have surprised a workmate by telling him that I just returned to Finland 8 months ago. He thought I might have lived here already some years. (I think he could have known, that it's not that long.)

Got a my address now registered as a permanent one.

Jag tror att jag också måste skriva lite mer på svenska. Men jag vet inte om vad jag kan skriva. Har ni någon idé?
Last edited by tiia on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm

tiia wrote:
1. There was some language cafe, where someone really was unsure about me being a Finn or a German,
Well done You! :-)
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Om du skriver mer på finska kommer jag behöva lära mig mer av språket för att förstå... and I can live with that!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”