tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 pm

A excerpt of a dialogue from the Swedish course today (third lesson).
We should ask each other whether we have a partner/are married etc. If it's too personal the teacher told us to just say something. It doesn't have to be true. Me and the guy next to me (P) had done the task and realised, that the dialogue is pretty short and boring, when we're both single, as we were also supposed to ask things about the partner etc. So we continued (we knew exactly, what we were saying):

P: Är du skild?
Me: Ja, jag är skild. Och du? Är du skild?
P: Ja, jag är också skild.
[Pause]
Me: Min man har en flickvän.
P: Jaha. Vad... bra. *

P: Har du barn?
Me: Ja, jag har fem barn. Och du, har du barn?
P: Min man har ett barn.

[* At this point the teacher was complimenting him on the spontanious (or "spontanious"?) reaction and we both started laughing.]

I think the Swedish word "bonusbarn" sounds so nice and positive. You're not only getting a partner, but as you also get the child as an extra. Who would only want to get a partner, if s/he can get a partner plus a child? The German expression "Stiefkind" sounds actually a lot more negative to me.

(Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure about a few minor details in the dialogue, but nothing that changes the meaning.)
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:17 pm

tiia wrote:I think the Swedish word "bonusbarn" sounds so nice and positive. You're not only getting a partner, but as you also get the child as an extra.
You sometimes hear 'bairn' for 'child' in northern England. Scotland too I think.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Es viernes. Tenía otra vez clases de sueco y español. Después me encontré con con uno de mis tandems. Queriamos montar en bici a otra ciudad, pero había muchissimo viento y después de la media distancia yo propuse, que volvamos. Creo que in total la distancia era un poco más por eso que sólo montar a la otra ciudad, pero por la vuelta teniamos normalmente el viento en popa, que era mucho mejor. A mi tandem le alegró ver las llamas o alpacas que hay aquí en una dehesa. Sé, que hay una dehesa más con esos animales, pero esa está un poco más lejos y el viento era demasiado.

En la clase de español estuvieron sólo 5 estudiantes. :o (En la lista están 10-13 personas.) Discutimos de las lenguas minoritarias, como el catalán o el sorbio, y cuales son las lenguas más utiles en el mundo laboral. Había también un breve excurso sobre la situación politica en Cataluña.

Again: I should practice writing in Spanish more.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 am

No clase de sueco para mi esta mañana. He puesto mi despertador y ha funcionado también, pero yo estaba tan cansada, que me he dormido otra vez. Cuando al fin me he despertado, habría tenido 20 minutos para ducharme e ir a la clase etc. Y estaba todavía cansada. Normalmente sólo el viaje a la universidad dura ya unos 20 min. Voy a preguntar a una chica qué ellos hicieron en la clase y cuales son las tareas.

(Too many uncertainties here. I'm going to put those sentences to lang8.)

edit: Corrections inserted.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:09 pm

When I was learning English I wrote some story about two girls who go hiking during the day in the mountains. Somehow one gets injured and when the other one wants to run down the hill to call for help, she pretty much immediately gets injured, too. In the end they sit together until they're rescued at 3 o'clock. (The story is obviously from a time before everyone had a mobile phone.)

I remember how much fun I had rereading the story. When I think of it, it's motivating me a bit to write similar crazy stories in Spanish. Maybe a bit shorter (that one has probably 2-3 handwritten pages). It's also an attempt to use the tenses correctly, use indirect speech etc. And of course it's about being able to express my own thoughts.

So today I wote a beginning (already including the corrections from lang8):
Como siempre Elias se despertaba a las seis. Aunque era todavía bastante oscuro, inmediatamente él se dió cuenta de que alguna cosa fue cambiada. Cuando él vío por la ventana lo supo: La lluvia había formado un lago enorme en la calle. No había ninguna posibilidad para ir al trabajo. Pero hoy era un dia tan importante en el trabajo: Tuve una cita con el cliente más importante para toda la empresa. Y su jefe dijo, que si él vendría demasiado tarde a la cita, él no recibiría un contrato nuevo. Quiso llamar a su jefe y explicarle la situación, pero por la inundación el teléfono no funcionaba. Él recordó que probablemente tenía ropa limpia en la oficina y decidió intentar nadar.

How should the story continue? I thought about only 2 or 3 more parts about the same length as this one, so it shouldn't be too much.

My ideas so far (skip this if you want to have some own ideas first):
- he gets out of the house and dies due to the flood. (Maybe he forgot that he cannot swim.)
- he is a bad swimmer and get rescued by some woman, with whom he falls in love and whatever happens then. Maybe he already had a girlfriend, who's going crazy?
- he reaches the workplace but no one is there because of the flood.
- he reaches the workplace and something bad happens there.
- the classical "it was all just a dream"-thing. He then realises he slept too long and whatever happens then.
- just when he leaves the house, it collapses and... then something happens. Maybe a ghost speaks to him?
- he drowns and becomes part of an underwater world

-------------
I've been thinking about improving one abandoned Wikipedia article in Spanish. It's not too long and right now it consists of the German counterpart, just that 1/3 is translated into Spanish. One half sentence is translated into English. Maybe I should train my writing skills and my knowledge in Spanish about the topic a bit more before I do this. I mean I'm not in a hurry, the article exists since 2012 and since then there were only little to no changes. The newest history entry is from a bot in 2015.
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:28 am

tiia wrote:How should the story continue?

Sería emocionante si hay tiburones gigantes en el lago....
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm

I wrote a second (and final) part. Let's see when I have the corrections, so that I can post it here.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Well I received a correction quite fast, but I wasn't completely happy with it, so here is the continuation and end of the story with some corrections, but not all of them. (I think the first sentence still needs a word to connect it better with the first part.)

Elias abrio la ventana y se tiró al agua. Él se zambulló un momento y cuando su cabeza estaba otra vez encima del agua, Elias no vio casas, árboles o montañas. Él estaba en medio del océano.
Poco después él notó una aleta dorsal se le acercaba. ¡Un tiburón! Le daba mucho miedo. A segunda vista Elias se dio cuenta de que no era soló una aleta dorsal sino muchas. Nunca había tenido tanto miedo en su vida.

Uno de los tiburones mordió su pie y Elias fue sumergido. Él pensó que se ahogaría, en eso él se desmayó.

Cuando Elias abrió los ojos todavía estaba sumergido. Duró un momento hasta que él supo que podía respirar. Y que él tenía un cuerpo de un tiburón gigante.

Aunque el cambio de su vida fuera un choque, Elias no necesitó mucho tiempo para acostumbrarse a su nueva vida. Sobretodo le gustaba la vida en el océano más, porque no había trabajo, ni jefes, ni clientes.

Yesterday I finally finished reading "Abdel". What I can say about it is that the story fulfilled my criteria of not being a normal crime story nor a love story. It's rather short (70-80 pages) and ok for level B1. However, I do recommend the use of a dictionary (I mostly didn't use one) for people around my level of Spanish, as the footnotes for vocabulary were not sufficient for me, but still really useful. Perhaps it would be better to read the story later a second time and maybe scan it for unknown vocabulary first. If I remember correctly the subjuntive was not used too much, but there was some subjuntivo imperfecto near the end.
This story had been part of the curriculum for high school students of Spanish in Germany and I absolutely get why. It can definitely be used for educational purposes and for starting discussions about the life of refugees, drugs etc.
All in all I'd say this is a good start for reading in Spanish.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Tengo que practicar más el español. Pero generalmente creo que estoy mejorando mucho. Es un poco difícil encontrarme con mis tandems, pero por fin he empezado a pensar en español! Por el contrario no hacía mucho para practicar el finés desde hace algunos meses. Sí, escuché los audio-libros de Harry Potter y leí artículos que me interesan. (No es posible ignorar la lengua totalmente, porque ya está integrada en mi vida diaria.) Creo que es bueno el que me vaya a encontrar con una finlandesa mañana.* Ojalá funcione mejor que con los otros tandems. Deseo que no sólo yo proponga las citas.

Incluso, en la semana pasada hablé un poco más en la clase. Normalmente no estamos muchos estudiantes allí y eso me gusta, aunque a veces está un poco inútil. Es que elegimos diferentes textos y temas para discutirlos y cuando el grupo (o la mayoría del grupo) de un texto no está en las clase es un poco difícil hacer la discusión. Incluso la profesora ya escribió que todos los estudiantes deberían venir a clases en las próximas semanas.

(Including corrections from lang8.)
*If someone can explain why vaya is used in this sentence, that would be great, because I still don't get it.

I made some stupid errors, but less mistakes in choosing the right tense compared to Elias the shark and maybe even less mistakes in general. I suppose this text was easier.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Only half a day and I have learned Swedish (via German), spoken Finnish and participated in the Spanish course. Writing this log entry in English it means I have used all my languages today!

It's good to know that my Finnish is still there, not only as a receptive skill but also actively. At times I was already afraid that my mind doesn't really get into the Finnish mode. The disturbance of my Spanish afterwards was surpisingly low, even when I said something about the recycling of cans and plasic bottles in Finland. Usually talking about anything that has to do with Finnish/Finland in Spanish is causing the most interference. (However, when I couldn't recognise the word "puerto" the first thing in my mind was the Finnish equivalent "satama". But I didn't say it. ) So maybe I've finally managed to separate the two languages somehow. Or at least Spanish became strong enough.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”