tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Maybe running around our waste is just what we need to do. It will burn calories, take some time and motivate us to produce less waste in the first place. :D

But thanks for pointing it out.

So now for the job search I'm doing: I need hints for writing a good letter of motivation (or hakemuskirje) in Finnish. Maybe something on the level of 15-year olds. With examples, not just 10 ideas to write a better cover letter. Well, that I may need as well. (Because I'm already awful writing such letters in any language. And there are certain phrases that I might not know. Even though i would change them in a way to make the more suitable for my case.) One of the last things I learned e.g. that a Finnish cover letter doesn't need a starting phrase such as "Dear ....." or that you can just write the name of a company when sending an email without knowing who'll read it...

Because there's a job that I've found really interesting, even though it may be mainly for the summer. It's not sure, whether I would actually be allowed for the position (you may have to be still a student). But I had sent an email to one of the responsible persons and got the answer that I should at least try to apply and that the other prerequisits are not too strict (so that I should fulfill them). The deadline is, as for many jobs right now, the 28.2., so next week wednesday.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Because everyone's having fun with challenges (I accidentially wrote "languages" :D ) I'm thinking of creating my very own one:

Use the book Tarkista tästä and write for each word one example sentence. A word that has different entries, because of different meanings/rektio will need as many sentences as it takes to cover all the listed cases.

For those, who don't know Tarkista tästä: It's a book about rektio*, mainly it has entries for verbs, but also a few other words. In total there are about 1200 different words covered in the book. Most of them I probably know, but not all of them. In my opinion some of the entries show just the regular use of a case, and not just exceptions, but well. It's still a nice resource to check stuff.
The goal would be some kind of grammar review and maybe learning a few new words.

To prevent myself from writing too many similar words in a row (the book lists all the words in alphabetical order), I shall take first the first entry of each letter and only then continue to the second entry of each letter and so on.

Any thoughts on this?

*For those who don't know: rektio (rection) is the name of the phenomen, that certain words (usually verbs) require the object in certain cases. So one of the most popular examples is the form of sinä in the following two sentences. I like you = Tykkään/Pidän sinusta. But: I love you = Rakastan sinua.

------

I still made it to send the one application yesterday, but I was really late, as I had somehow forgotten that, because it's according to the Finnish time I have to send it at 23.00 latest not at 24.00. I realised that when it was 22.26 and then suddenly my laptop started some weird problems, which did not help at all. (The panel became invisible. Changing between windows, somehow still worked, but I couldn't even turn off the laptop normally anymore. Not even with Alt+Ctrl+Del.) However, I managed to finish the application 3 min before the deadline. :shock: But well, you can guess how perfectly written my cover letter may be now. (Luckily I had started it in the afternoon already.) Then I could restart the laptop.

A short anecdote: I told a friend, that I felt like I haven't been in Finland for far too long. Later I wanted tell her about something some friends there had told me and I couln't think of the German word for "Christmas". Only the Finnish "joulu" came into my mind (because originally I had talked about this in Finnish). My friend was then like "And you think you haven't been in Finland for far too long?"
Last edited by tiia on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Somehow I listened to some Swedish Sabaton songs. I learned new words that way already, but well, if you know Sabaton, you know what kind of words I may learn from that. :D

So here we have one of them:

By reading along it's easy to understand (and also easy to sing along), but the part starting at 1:04 it somehow difficult:

Över fjäll, genom bitande köld går marschen
De går med sänkta huvuden

Because what I could make out is something like the following, even when trying to slow down the whole thing.
Över fjäll, genom bitande köld i går med sänkta huvuden.
And that's the closest I got by correlating sounds I hear to the existing lyrics.

But what happend to the rest of the words which I only heard as i*? I don't see how I would be able to get the words "går" "marschen" and "de" into this. Or are they just in the official lyrics and practically unsung?

*Could be another vowel, but that's not the point here.

Otherwise the blöder is a nice false friend. In case you know German, you may know the word blöd (engl. stupid, silly + various others), which also can have the form blöder (as masculine or comparative form)

So the expression "Du b/Blöder" could mean "you stupid" or just "you're bleeding", depending on the language you're using. (Ok, the du is pronounced a bit different.)
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:41 pm

tiia wrote:Över fjäll, genom bitande köld i går med sänkta huvuden.

I hear "vi (or de) går med sänkta huvuden". I don't know what happened to the lyrics in the video - it's not to uncommon to read lyrics which don't match the recorded vocals.

Du blöder - you're bleeding.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm

tiia wrote:I still made it to send the one application yesterday, but I was really late, as I had somehow forgotten that, because it's according to the Finnish time I have to send it at 23.00 latest not at 24.00. I realised that when it was 22.26 and then suddenly my laptop started some weird problems, which did not help at all. (The panel became invisible. Changing between windows, somehow still worked, but I couldn't even turn off the laptop normally anymore. Not even with Alt+Ctrl+Del.) However, I managed to finish the application 3 min before the deadline. :shock: But well, you can guess how perfectly written my cover letter may be now. (Luckily I had started it in the afternoon already.) Then I could restart the laptop.

I'm having an interview for this one next week! :) I'm really excited about this, especially as the job description sounded really interesting.

So if there's anyone who wants to have fun practising a job interview in Finnish with me, send me a message. :D
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 am

Bones wrote:Good luck with the interview! Maybe I could help you practice an interview in Finnish, but I'm not sure how useful I could be since I haven't done that many job interviews IRL (or language exchanges for that matter).

Thank you!
It seems I already found someone. :) Actually including you that would make it three people offering help in this regard in such a short time. That's truly amazing!

(I had posted the request also in a facebook group for Finns in my hometown.)
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Well, there was not sooo much language wise, except for watching more episodes of Charmed in Spanish (I'm now nearly done with season 6) and of course the test of a job interview in Finnish and the real interview. The test was absolutely great and I could not have hoped for a better interviewer. :)

And I can happily say: I've been accepted for the summer job. :D 8-)
(Btw, this is indeed going to be my first paid job ever.)

So, a little more than two months for moving out, taking care of a health issue and such stuff. Furthermore I shall receive some material to prepare myself for the tasks I will be doing in Finland, so this gives me a more definite goal for working on my Finnish. The vocabulary will be quite special, but well, that's what I need and it's in fact the only area, where I already learned some of the technical vocabulary during my exchange year.

Let's see what I'm then going to do after the summer. I'm still thinking of spending a month or so in Spain and autumn would be a great time for that. My Spanish would certainly profit from doing so and basically I'm free. So why not? (I think I had written pretty much the same for last autumn, except that it now seems much more likely that I will actually do this.)
When I'm applying for further jobs in Finland (or even elsewhere?), I may try to plan some gap in there to have time for this.
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 pm

I just realised I'm now for 2 years (and 11 days) on this forum. 8-)

Contiuned with Embrujadas. I expect to finish the series in the beginning/mid of April. I mean, if I continue watching more than one episode on a typical day and there are only 28 episodes left... - No, I haven't been watching a bit too much. :oops: :lol: (Note, that I didn't watch a single episode while travelling in February.)

So, I picked up Swedish again. Hopefully I'll keep it going. Chapter 11 of Rivstart A1+A2 is now done and I'm still having several hundreds of Anki repetitions waiting for me. But at least I already did some of them, because honestly, I was a bit afraid of the amout of words waiting for me after abandoning it for nearly two months.

Otherwise I got rejections for two more job applications, but well... Do I mind, when I already got the one that seemed to be the most interesting? Knowing where to go in the summer is super motivating right now.
(I only hope that there won't suddenly be some issue. I mean you never know and after all the bad luck I had during the last years...)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Wishing you luck with the applications! Det blir bra!
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Elenia wrote:Wishing you luck with the applications! Det blir bra!

Thanks. :D
I'm just receiving the rejections for the applications I sent in February. Right now I won't send any more applications, because September/October/November is still far away and I'm very happy with the summer job I got.
I'll start applying again once I'm in Finland.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”