tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish)

Postby tiia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:50 pm

At yesterdays language cafe I went over to a mexican guy to ask him to speak some Spanish. I never did this on purpose before. And it worked out! Since we knew each other already from talking in German, the conversation was not just the typical "who are you"-stuff, but instead he asked me about my oral Spanish exam. He even knew with whom I had taken it. :D

It definitely feels great that I could tell him something I wanted to say, although I sometimes run out of words. And I accidentially used the subjuntive right. I first wanted to use the future tense, but couldn't remember the form so I said some other form instead, which happened to be even better.
My approach of using verb forms in Spanish is still feels a bit.. random. I just take any kind of verb form - some random past tense here, something, which is not past, nor presens (indicative) there.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 am

My Spanish grades were finally published! Now I can claim having a B1 level. :)
Well, the last semesters' had been better, but overall it's still quite good. Listening and writing were obviously me strongest skills, reading a a bit worse. Speaking got the same grade as before, but this time it means it's just slightly below reading.

I bought some novels in Spanish, but otherwise I haven't really done anything for learning languages. To be honest, it feels like I haven't really done anything else as well. Or maybe.. I have done something, but nothing that would have been useful to do. E.g. I tried sewing a medieval-like dress, got even further to finishing it than the last time, but in the end wore the same black clothes as usual for this occasion.
So maybe next year. :D
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 am

tiia wrote: I tried sewing a medieval-like dress, got even further to finishing it than the last time, but in the end wore the same black clothes as usual for this occasion.
So maybe next year. :D

Well that's pretty cool! I've been spending time mucking about making my own sock patterns. I'm planning on giving up on the current attempt (a lace frill) and try knitting a medallion instead because... why not?

Also, well done for your exam results!
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 am

Elenia wrote:Well that's pretty cool! I've been spending time mucking about making my own sock patterns. I'm planning on giving up on the current attempt (a lace frill) and try knitting a medallion instead because... why not?

I know how to crochet*, and just last year I finally learned more complicated stitches, than the ones I used to do. But honestly I'm completely lost when it comes to knitting. Maybe I gave up too soon as a child, since I was happy with crocheting.

The medieval-like dress is something I'm aiming for some time now, but somehow never managed to finish. Right now it would be something in blue and white, but I'm not really satisfied with the blue, so I might colour the blue fabric again, maybe into some darker blue or something greenish. The blue and white parts will not be sewn together, so colouring one fabric only is still possible.

Did I ever mention that I'm actually studying engineering? ;)

*I had to look up that word and searched youtube to find pronounciation examples as I somehow felt that it could be a bit weird. But I have to say: it's even more illogical than I expected.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 am

tiia wrote:
Elenia wrote:Well that's pretty cool! I've been spending time mucking about making my own sock patterns. I'm planning on giving up on the current attempt (a lace frill) and try knitting a medallion instead because... why not?

I know how to crochet*, and just last year I finally learned more complicated stitches, than the ones I used to do. But honestly I'm completely lost when it comes to knitting. Maybe I gave up too soon as a child, since I was happy with crocheting.

The medieval-like dress is something I'm aiming for some time now, but somehow never managed to finish. Right now it would be something in blue and white, but I'm not really satisfied with the blue, so I might colour the blue fabric again, maybe into some darker blue or something greenish. The blue and white parts will not be sewn together, so colouring one fabric only is still possible.

Did I ever mention that I'm actually studying engineering? ;)

*I had to look up that word and searched youtube to find pronounciation examples as I somehow felt that it could be a bit weird. But I have to say: it's even more illogical than I expected.

I'm the opposite! I can knit, but find crochet quite hard. (Also, crochet seems fairly logical to me, as far as any English is logical? Not that that says much :lol: )

I wish you luck with it! It will be quite the achievement!

And you never mentioned, but we all need to have hobbies, right?
0 x

Lumilintu
White Belt
Languages: German, Estonian, English, Finnish, Hungarian

Postby Lumilintu » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Hei!
I just read through this thread and it seems like we have some things in common - I for example also have a small collection of Finnish books that I didn't managed to read (yet). Ja jostain syystä mulla on semmonen tunne, että ollaan jo keskusteltu jossain muualla... ? :mrgreen:

tiia wrote:The medieval-like dress is something I'm aiming for some time now, but somehow never managed to finish. Right now it would be something in blue and white, but I'm not really satisfied with the blue, so I might colour the blue fabric again, maybe into some darker blue or something greenish. The blue and white parts will not be sewn together, so colouring one fabric only is still possible.

Sorry for the off-topic, but how do you colour the fabric?

Elenia wrote:I'm the opposite! I can knit, but find crochet quite hard. (Also, crochet seems fairly logical to me, as far as any English is logical? Not that that says much :lol: )

I'm the same, I can knit, but never learned how to crochet. :D And tiia is right, the word crochet really sounds weird.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Lumilintu wrote:Ja jostain syystä mulla on semmonen tunne, että ollaan jo keskusteltu jossain muualla... ? :mrgreen:

Jos asut Oulussa, voi olla jo kolmas kerta, et me löydettiin toisemme netissä.

Lumilintu wrote:Sorry for the off-topic, but how do you colour the fabric?

Being lazy and taking some powder for the washing machine. Works also in a pot, but the using the washing machine is somehow even easier.
The fabric should be (mostly) out of natural fibres like cotton, since synthetics usually won't take any color.

Lumilintu wrote:
Elenia wrote:I'm the opposite! I can knit, but find crochet quite hard. (Also, crochet seems fairly logical to me, as far as any English is logical? Not that that says much :lol: )

I'm the same, I can knit, but never learned how to crochet. :D And tiia is right, the word crochet really sounds weird.

The "cro" is okay, making a "sh"-sound out of "ch" is unusual, but pronouncing "et" as "ey", is just weird.
As far as I understand it comes from French, where the "t" is silent, so then of course the whole pronounciation thing makes a lot more sense.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:19 pm

tiia wrote:
Lumilintu wrote:Ja jostain syystä mulla on semmonen tunne, että ollaan jo keskusteltu jossain muualla... ? :mrgreen:

Jos asut Oulussa, voi olla jo kolmas kerta, et me löydettiin toisemme netissä.

Lumilintu wrote:Sorry for the off-topic, but how do you colour the fabric?

Being lazy and taking some powder for the washing machine. Works also in a pot, but the using the washing machine is somehow even easier.
The fabric should be (mostly) out of natural fibres like cotton, since synthetics usually won't take any color.

Lumilintu wrote:

The "cro" is okay, making a "sh"-sound out of "ch" is unusual, but pronouncing "et" as "ey", is just weird.
As far as I understand it comes from French, where the "t" is silent, so then of course the whole pronounciation thing makes a lot more sense.

... As I said, it makes sense for English? My favourite thing to do is get non-British English speakers to pronounce place names like 'Tottenham', 'Leicester'/'Worcester' and 'Beaulieu' (that last makes me want to cry, it makes no sense even to me).
0 x

Lumilintu
White Belt
Languages: German, Estonian, English, Finnish, Hungarian

Postby Lumilintu » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:06 pm

tiia wrote:Jos asut Oulussa, voi olla jo kolmas kerta, et me löydettiin toisemme netissä.

En enää asu Oulussa, muutin pois sieltä kesän alussa (olin vain vuoden siellä, vaihto-opiskelijana). Mutta joo, oon kuitenkin se sama ihminen. Kiva tavata taas.

tiia wrote:Being lazy and taking some powder for the washing machine. Works also in a pot, but the using the washing machine is somehow even easier.

Ah, okay. I thought you'd do some kind of "natural" colouring as you said it's a medieval dress, that's why I was curious.

tiia wrote:The "cro" is okay, making a "sh"-sound out of "ch" is unusual, but pronouncing "et" as "ey", is just weird.

I had the word "crocket" in mind when reading "crochet", so I was confused by the /ey/ pronunciation as well. But I guess for a French word that makes sense.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Lumilintu wrote:
tiia wrote:Jos asut Oulussa, voi olla jo kolmas kerta, et me löydettiin toisemme netissä.

En enää asu Oulussa, muutin pois sieltä kesän alussa (olin vain vuoden siellä, vaihto-opiskelijana). Mutta joo, oon kuitenkin se sama ihminen. Kiva tavata taas.

Tää tulee aika ouduks, koska en oo niin monissa paikoissa netissä.

Lumilintu wrote:
tiia wrote:Being lazy and taking some powder for the washing machine. Works also in a pot, but the using the washing machine is somehow even easier.

Ah, okay. I thought you'd do some kind of "natural" colouring as you said it's a medieval dress, that's why I was curious.

I said "medieval-like" ;) It's not going to be authentic, since I already use cotton, which would be wrong anyway. The main reason for coloring was actually that I can use some pretty cheap fabric.

Right now I'm kind of taking a step back regarding my language learning. At least I still read the fourth Harry Potter every now and then in order to keep my activity badge at the Super Challenge. I'm kind of getting into troubles with my studies and my voluntary tasks, because my university just likes to let everyone move around. So my main working place will be closed for around two weeks.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”