tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:26 pm

The 7th season of Embrujadas is done, so only 22 of 178 episodes left. Otherwise I'm still not really doing anything with Spanish right now.

I finished chapter 12 of Rivstart A1+A2. Reading Morganas log works as motivation right now. I'm definitely not as fast as she is, but I've always done things a bit more slowly. If I keep doing at least one chapter per week, I should have finished the book by the time I'm moving out of this flat. That would be at least a goal that somehow makes sense. Maybe I'll start with Rivstart B1+B2 before moving - depending how fast I'm progressing and how I liked finishing the A1+A2 book by myself.
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 am

@Morgana: You're right about it being the first Swedish course. However, I have at least been in Sweden three times and lived in Finland for a year. (That year made me connect a handful of common words and place names in Swedish with their Finnish counterpart. And it led me to try Swedish/Finnish (drinking) songs without knowing how to pronounce the Swedish parts.)

I randomly listend to recordings of previous chapters and thought I should make an answer for the question: Har du sjungit karaoke någon gång?
Ja, jag har sjungit karaoke en gång. Det var in Finland, när jag var utbytesstudent. Jag träffades med två kompisar på en bar klockan tre. På baren var bara få personer: Servitören, tre andra personer, mina kompisar och jag. Ibland kom in ett eller två personer som tog en dricka, sjöng en sång och sedan gick ut. De var aldrig länge på baren. Vi har sjungit också en sång med alla sex personer (utan servitören) tillsammans. Det var roligt.

Feel free to correct the Swedish part.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Det var in i Finland, när jag var utbytesstudent. (spelling/preposition)
Jag träffades med träffade två kompisar på en bar klockan tre. (just the plain form is needed, no passive/deponens -s, no preposition)
Ibland kom det in ett en eller två personer som tog en (dricka)/drink, sjöng en sång och sedan gick ut. (informal subject, cf. "det regnar"/es regnet; gender; choice of words - "en dricka" usually means a soft drink (bottle or can) - if it's "a drink" you mean, then "en drink" is better)
Vi har också sjungit också en sång (med) alla sex personer (utan förutom servitören) tillsammans. (word order; choice of words: utan = without, förutom = except)

I'd use simple past in the last sentence (it's more in line with the story), and rephrase it like:
Alla sex personer (förutom servitören) sjöng också en sång tillsammans.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 pm

This week was rather unproductive regarding languages. I had a surgery (planned and nothing severe) and therefore didn't do anything for around two days. I think I drove quite some people crazy because of that beforehand. :roll: :oops: It's getting better every day now.

During my Finland trip I had bought Mätä and Mahti (the continuation of Odininlapsi) and actually started reading Mätä already then. Well, I'm reading it slowly. There was other stuff in between and then I often don't read more than 1-2 chapters before going to bed, but I'm half-way through now. (I'm often too tired...)

I have not yet finished Chapter 13 of Rivstart. However, if I count from the possible moving date backwards with an estimated speed of one chapter per week, I should have finished exactly this chapter today. But it's not much of a delay yet. It's ok.
Tomorrow I should finally have less than 100 Anki repitions again.

---
And then a short question for those, who know Swedish better than I do:

There was the task to change the word order of the following sentence, so that it starts with "den här veckan":
Original sentence: Marie har inte jobbat så mycket den här veckan.
So I would change it into: Den här veckan har Marie inte jobbat så mycket.
But I wasn't completely sure about the position of inte. Unfortunately the solution doesn't help, because it says:
Den här veckan har Marie inte jobbat inte så mycket.
And that doesn't really make sense. (Except if we want to have a double negation?)

---
Only 5 episodes left of Embrujadas.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 pm

tiia wrote:There was the task to change the word order of the following sentence, so that it starts with "den här veckan":
Original sentence: Marie har inte jobbat så mycket den här veckan.
So I would change it into: Den här veckan har Marie inte jobbat så mycket.
But I wasn't completely sure about the position of inte. Unfortunately the solution doesn't help, because it says:
Den här veckan har Marie inte jobbat inte så mycket.
And that doesn't really make sense. (Except if we want to have a double negation?)

EIther before or after the name: "...har inte Marie jobbat" or "...har Marie inte jobbat". "inte så mycket" doesn't make sense, unless (as you say) we want a double negation for some reason (unknown to me).

We can stress the amount of work (or rather, lack of it), but then it's another kind of sentence, e.g. Den här veckan har Marie jobbat, men inte så mycket. (=She has worked this week, but not so much.)
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 am

So the week after my last post went really well with Swedish and I finished the chapter before Sunday. But now I haven't done any Swedish since then (well.. 2 days of Anki maybe?). In my defence I have to say that I spend the time from last thursday until yesterday at my parents place, cleaning up my old room and stuff like that so that I can now slowly start moving all my belongings there.
At least I still read a bit of Mätä.
Oh and I found another Finnish exchange student here, and we already met once. :)

---
I'm also done with Embrujadas since the 11th of April.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Mon May 14, 2018 8:09 pm

No update here for quite a while.
First the bad news: No Spanish since the last time. (Maybe one rewatched episode of Embrujadas.)
Not really any Swedish. Did some exercises during a break from driving though (one way means driving 560km), just to force myself to take a longer break. Had a nice view there.
Decided that at least until I'm in Finland I will be too busy to study Swedish. If I accidentially do something, ok. But that's it.

Now for something positive:
Finnish is going great! I'm still meeting the exchange student I mentioned last time. There was also a meet-up of the local Finns for Vappu, where I spoke lots of Finnish. I was basically the only German there, who was not just the partner of one of the Finns there. Even most of the Germans (they were not too many) spoke fluent Finnish. I had a great time there. :)

And I finished Mätä. Got my first 134 pages for the Super Challenge, because that's what I read after the 1st of May.

Btw after I had submitted all the necessary personal data for the summer job, the human resources asked me, whether I really don't have a Finnish nationality, assuming that I had just forgotten to fill in that part. :D
2 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Moving again.
I'm out of my flat. But not all of my stuff is out, too. Oops. Totally underestimated the amount of stuff in my kitchen.
Someone else has to get there and transport all the belongings the didn't fit into the car anymore some time during the next month. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The last days have been super stressful and my nerves were just blank. We got a portion of extra "fun" as they had found a bomb from WWII and evacuated a huge area over night. The evacuation zone ended just one crossing away from my flat, but at least we were not evacuated. The traffic chaos was horrible and no matter where I needed to go, it was either inside the evacuation zone or somewhere on the other side of it. Passing around was rather difficult. I was happy to normally use a bicycle nowadays, because one way was closed for cars at some point, but still open for walking and cycling (it seemed like there was also some tram line going) and another one was open for cars, but the street was far too small, so the cars just blocked each other at a crossing and so there was no way to get anywhere. Unfortunately I made that experience first by car and only later could go the same way by bicycle.

Otherwise I have to pack my stuff. (And instead I'm writing here that I have to pack my stuff...) Tomorrow afternoon I'm leaving here again to Lübeck (Travemünde), where the ferry will take me to Finland.
It's already quite a while that I'm really looking forward to this ferry ride, because it means more than 24h of having nothing to do! And there's a sauna and a whirlpool, that are open most of the time. What more could I wish for after such a stressful time?

Well, except for a good sleep...
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 am

To make it very short for now:

I arrived! :D Still feels a bit weird I'm really living here again (even though it's just for three months).

The weather right now is awesome! I have to get outside.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed May 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Finland, is it? Which part?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”