tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish, Swedish)

Postby tiia » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Me and my language exchange partner changed our meetings a little bit. In March we switched to online meetings, and soon realised, that we simply did not have enough to talk about, when there is nothing happing in our lives. So we agreed on watching both a German and a Finnish documentary, in order to talk about it during the meeting. We did the meetings with a camera, but also on the phone, in order to go out for a walk. (This was an awesome idea btw!) Although we're now meeting in person again (with occasional online meetings), we kept watching videos between the meetings, since it seemed to be quite beneficial.
We had been suggesting the other one a documentary in our mother tongue, but now it's not sooo strict anymore I think. It's more about having something in German and something in Finnish as a preparation. I also got an interesting article once, which I still have to work on a bit more. Luckily our interests are similar enough that it's easy to find topics that interest us both.
Though we can wish for certain topics, the only main restriction we set in the very beginning was "no corona". It was just too much everywhere and all the time. We felt that we need a break from it, too.

Recently I also started to write texts for the meetings about the stuff that we discussed. Because you know, I always complained about the lack of writing practice. (Like in the previous post.) So far texts were not of the best quality ever, but since it's about producing regularly structured, written output I don't mind.
However we tried searching for certain tools to help writing texts (e.g. lists with typical frases for summaries, lists of connectors etc.). It has to be said, that resources on this topic are sparse, or at least hard to find. My feeling is, that the most interesting tools are made for Finlandswedes in schools. Seems like other non-natives are somehow not expected to produce output in Finnish that goes beyond the basic needs.

One of the documentaries I watched recently was about tides. Here's an article about it. The documentary itself is only available in Finland.

And here are two (already corrected) texts that I wrote about the third part. Nothing fancy, but well.. it's about writing practice. There's more complicated stuff to come.
Merilevän viljely
Kolmannessa jatkossa ”Vuorovesi”-dokumenttisarjassa käsiteltiin mm. merilevän viljelyä Kiinassa. Dokumentissa näytettiin kaksi eri paikkaa ja miten merilevän viljely eroaa toisistaan. Merkittävä syy erolle on vuoroveden vaikutus.
Ensin esiteltiin viljelytapa Xiapussa. Xiapussa lasku- ja nousuveden ero on keskimäärin 7 m. Koska merilevä kasvaa juuri paikoissa, jotka ovat tavallisesti vedessä, mutta nousevat myös säännöllisesti vedestä, tämä korkeusero auttaa merilevän kasvattamisesta. Viljelijät käyttävät bambukeppejä ja laittavat niiden välille köysiä. Köysillä kasvaa sitten merilevää. Kun vesi laskee, köydet nousevat vedestä, jotta merilevä kuivuu jonkin verran, kunnes nousuveden tullessa köydet ja merilevä kelluvat taas vedessä.
Toisessa paikassa, Nan’aon saarella lasku- ja nousuveden ero on keskimäärin vain 1 m, eikä siellä voi viljellä merilevää samalla tavalla kuin Xiapussa. Kuitenkin paikalliset keksivät oman keinonsa. Merilevä kasvatetaan kelluvilla bambukepeillä, jotka kiinnitetään metallipylväisiin. Koska veden korkeusero ei riitä kuivaamaan levää, viljelijät nostavat merilevää kasvavat bambukepit neljän päivän välein vedestä ja kuivaavat nämä maalla.
Saman päivän illalla kepit ja merilevä heitetään takaisin mereen. Dokumentissa haastateltu merileväviljelijä Nan’aon saarelta kertoo, että heidän merilevänsä laatu on Xiapun levää parempi, koska syvempi vesi on raikkaampaa, ja voimakkaampi virtaus puhdistaa sitä tehokkaammin.
Näin merilvän maku parantuisi ja Nan’aon merilevälle maksettaisiin jopa Xiapun merilevään verrattuna kolmikertainen hinta. Kaiken kaikkiaan on huomattava, miten suuri vuoroveden vaikutus on merilevän kasvattamisessa.

Bardseysalmen uimarit
Vuorovesi-dokumentissa kerrotaan mm. Bardsey saaresta Luoteis-Walesin rannikolla. Bardsey saaren ja mantereen välillä on Brittien suurimpia vuorovesivirtauksia. Virtaus voi olla niin voimakas, ettei edes laivalla pääse saarelle. Silti Wyn Rowlands ja Natasha Brooks päättivät uida saarelta mantereelle. He eivät olisi ensimmäiset, jotka uisivat mantereelle, mutta ensimmäiset, jotka ylittäisivät salmen ilman märkäpukua.
Uimarit pyysivät apua Bangorin yliopiston merentutkimuslaitokselta, jossa heitä varten simuloitiin merivirtaukset uintipäivänä. Niin selvitettiin mahdollisia reittejä ja paras lähtöaika. Tutkijoiden mukaan on vain kaksi mahdollista reittiä ja uimarien on käytettävä hyväkseen sekä lasku- että nousuvettä.
Heillä on kokonaisuudessaan noin kaksi tuntia reitillensä. Natasha Brooks valitsi suoremman reitin, koska hän on nopeampi uimari. Toisaalta Wyn Rowlands suunnitteli uivansa kaarevamman reitin hänen hitaamman nopeutensa vuoksi.
Uintipäivänä molemmat alkoivat uida samaan aikaan. Natasha Brooks pääsi suunnitelman mukaan hyvissä ajoin mantereelle, mutta Wyn Rowlands oli jo uinut yli kaksi tuntia, kun hän oli edelleen kaukana rannikosta. Seurana oleva tiimi päätti sitten hänen kanssaan, että yritys oli keskeytettävä.
Vaikka molemmat uimarit olivat valmistautuneet hyvin salmen ylitykseen, vain toinen heistä onnistui, koska loppujen lopuksi vesivirta on ihmistä voimakkaampi.

When I got those texts corrected, I really enjoyed that my language partner had indeed seen the same documentary. So they could correct the content in the way, that they knew what I actually described there. It is something I had already missed sometimes in courses/ other occasions: I want my texts to be precise, to express exactly this or that and not what another person assumes to be logical (they may change the meaning by that). This may demand some questions to define what I really wanted to express (e.g. is the person swimming the distance well in the planned timeframe or is it a good result in a more competitive way?)
So indeed, I'm very, very happy with my exchange partner here. :)

A picture taken during a language exchange on the phone.
Language_exchange_walk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tiia on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am

How often have I written that there's nothing new regarding Spanish?
Well, now there is! Nothing big yet, but something!
I practised a bit Spanish at the language cafe again, since I restarted going there. Well, not just Spanish, but also some Portuñol. :D This seems to work for me as long as I don't know Portuguese, because I cannot really mix them up. If it's too far from Spanish I just don't understand what was being said. Most important, however, I'm not tempted to use Swedish or Finnish.
I hope to keep this Spanish practice going at least until September.*

Additionally I've been looking around in yle areena and found once a movie in Spanish, that we had discussed ages ago in the classes at the university, and more recently a series in Spanish with accurate subtitles. It's a rather short one (25 episodes), but finally something. :)

I really should brush up the tenses again. Will I do it? I don't know.

*There will be a contiuation of my Swedish class in September.

Oh and summer is great over here.
lake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:29 pm

I wanted to write an update already for quite a while but well...

In my last post I wrote that I started going to the language cafe again. Although the language cafe is still going on I stopped going there for now, following the recommendation to limit social contacts. The idea was to take out the most risky activity, especially since I have other secured ways to keep in touch with Swedish and Spanish for now. :)

I september började min kurs i svenska igen. På kursen är vi bara 7-11 elever samt läraren för att minska smittorisken. Många följer nu rekommendationen att använda mask på kursen. Just efter första veckan på kursen måste jag resa till Tyskland till min familj och när jag kom tillbaka var jag i karantän. Därför missade jag klassen två gånger. Men det var inget problem för mig, därför att jag kunde titta på nätet vad de har gjort.

¿Y español? Escribí que he visto una serie (la otra mirada) en el verano. También he empezado con el Ministerio del Tiempo (gracias a Cavesa), pero he visto también varios videos en youtube, algunos episodos de Friends y uno o dos películas como El abuelo que saltó por la ventana y se largó (orig. Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann). A veces era un poco raro escuchar el español en un ambiente de Suecia. Pero esa película era muy facil de entender. Realmente más facil que todas las otras que vi.
Además he hablado de vez en cuando (y voy a hablar más), aunque es todavía dificil expresionarme. Pero tengo más motivación que nunca para practicar mi español. :)
Y por fin encontré también dos bandas de metal que cantan español y que me gustan. ¡Que suerte!
Last edited by tiia on Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:06 pm

tiia wrote:I september började min kurs i svenska igen. På kursen är bara 7-11 elever och läraren för att minska smittorisken. Många följer nu rekommendationen och använda mask på kursen. Just efter förstä vecka på kursen jag måste resa till Tyskland till min familj och när jag kom tillbacka var jag i karantän. Darför jag missade klassen två gånger. Men det var inget problem för mig, darför att jag kunde titta på nätet vad de har gjord.

I september började min kurs i svenska igen. - Perfect.

På kursen är det/vi bara 7-11 elever och/samt läraren för att minska smittorisken.
Formal subject/pronoun; samt sometimes works better than och. I'd rephrase the whole thing: För att minska smittorisken är vi bara 7-11 (or: mellan sju och elva) elever samt läraren.

Många följer nu rekommendationen och/att använda mask på kursen.
In spoken Swedish, the infinitive marker att sometimes becomes [å]/och.

Just efter förstä vecka första veckan på kursen jag måste jag resa till Tyskland till min familj och när jag kom tillbacka tillbaka var jag i karantän. Spelling, word order (V2), spelling.

Darför Därför jag missade jag klassen två gånger. Spelling, V2.

Men det var inget problem för mig, darför därför att jag kunde titta/se på nätet vad de har gjord gjort. Spelling, choice of words, spelling.

Minor corrections, really.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:[...]
Minor corrections, really.

Thanks a lot for the corrections. :) I see, I'll have to pay more attention to the word order. Or write more in general.

I actually tried to run a spell checker on the text before, but now realised there was still something wrong with LibreOffice, so in fact it didn't check the spelling at all. (It was somehow suspicious it didn't show any mistakes...) But it should more or less work out now. At least for Swedish. However, it did not find the gjord/gjort mistake, since gjord seems to be another existing word.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 pm

tiia wrote:However, it did not find the gjord/gjort mistake, since gjord seems to be another existing word.

It is a matter of function. It can be an adjective (really a past participle) or a supine verb form - whether you mean is made (by/for/etc.) or X has made something.

The first works like an adjective and requires number and gender agreement.
Kniven är gjord av rostfritt stål. Singular, n-gender.
Det lär dröja innan allt är gjort. Singular, t-gender.
Teckningarna är gjorda av eleverna i klass 1B. Plural, n-gender.

The second works like a supine:
Vi har gjort läxan.

Exactly three years ago (spooky, I know):
jeff_lindqvist wrote:(...)a participle works like an adjective (and change according to gender and number) while a supine is a verb form. Compare "The book was written in Latin." and "I have written the book.". Identical forms, but different functions. Some verbs have identical participles (at least in a neuter form), say, "Porträttet är målat av Picasso." and "Jag har målat ett porträtt." (NOTE "Stugan är målad.")
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 pm

Happy New Year! (a bit late, I know.)

Swedish: Just one or two weeks after Jeff's last post we actually started with those adjective forms derived from verbs. The last lesson of the course was held online and I'll continue with the next class next week. Unfortunately it will be still online at least in January. Anyway, that's the best thing we can do for now.

Spanish: I said last time that I was finally practising more Spanish. And guess what: I still do!
The reason is, that I somehow befriended myself with someone from Spain and we've been hanging out together quite often since summer. Now this meant even Christmas and New Year's Eve, because well you know... (On New year's Eve we included the Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes at midnight. But since I usually don't eat a lot of grapes, I searched for the smallest grapes I could find. :D )
However, we mostly speak Finnish, but I get regular Spanish practice as well. Language-wise that's even more valuable because I haven't visited the language cafe since September. (It should be currently on hold anyway.) Our activities in Spanish ranged from just trying to talk, to watching movies and playing board games, e.g. trivial pursuit and scrabble. I've had a hard time pronouncing entretenimiento the first time. (It's one of the categories in trivial pursuit.) There were just too many syllables. :D - But now I've learned it.

Otherwise I've been watching something at home every now and then and finished reading and listening the first Harry Potter. (I bought the book already in December 2017!) Out of boredom I started listeing to the second one as well. Sometimes youtube really is your friend. :)

So despite the current situation I've managed to put my languages into a somehow "safe position". :)
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Another short update: Another Swedish course ended in April. In the end it was held completely online. Well, that had at least one advantage: I had no absence due to quarantine. (Luckily though I did not get infected.)
Usually this course should continue in September when the fall semester starts, but we cannot be sure 100% yet since there no new course calender yet.
Anyway, I though that up to 4.5 months until the next course is far too long, even if I may practice a bit at the language cafe in the summer. So I searched for any summer courses as a filler. In the end I found one short (and cheap*) course just starting a week after the other one ended. We're now half-way through the course and I have to say: I'm quite excited about it! :D

We're discussing contemorary topics (online), reading a text as a preparation**, listening to easy news in Swedish and discuss all the content mostly in small groups. Fortunately the teacher tries to avoid covid-related news. :) The course also does not cover any grammar, so it's really about practice, practice, practice. Translation is done only into Finnish if needed. English is (almost) not used at all. (Finally!) Seems weird that I am explicitly mentioning that, but yeah... This "all Swedish"-approach increases the level quite a bit, which is great.
In total it feels like the time is used efficiently and I'm expanding the topics I can understand and talk about.
I'm not sure, whether I should try to look for another suitable course held by this very teacher in fall. We'll see.

*It's about 30-40€. Courses from the public adult education centers (työväenopisto) are usually quite affordable. Sometimes there may be even extra funding for some language classes.
**This may be one of the most useful homeworks there is. You do not waste time to explain too much, but can ask something, if you had problems.

PS. It's late, I have to sleep. So no time to continue this post.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Kanske det är tid för att skriva någon på svenska igen. Först trodde jag att den nya kursen är bara för att paus i sommaren är inte så långt. Jag har redan skrivit om det sista gången. Nu vet jag att det finns en liknande kurs i augusti och sedan i höstas till december. (Det är faktiskt två kurser.) Nu tänker jag om det kanske skulle vara bättre för mig fortsätter med den kursen och gör några kapitel från Rivstart-boken själv. Men jag vet inte...
I alla fall väntar jag först till alla kursprogram är publicerat så jag vet hur min gamla kurs fortsätter – på nätet eller i klassrummet etc. (Det var ganska praktiskt innan coronapandemin: går till kursen och sedan direkt till språkcaféet.)

En annan sak jag vill berätta är att jag ofta besöker en grannstad. Och där finns så mycket svenskspråkig folk att du kan höra svenska nästan varannan gång på gatan. Det är inte samma sak där jag bor. Ganska spännande hur det förändras i kort distans.

------
Above there are some thoughts about how to continue with Swedish, since I*m so excited about the new course.

Last year I had been talking with a friend about just speaking Spanish for one day, but somehow we never did it. Maybe it was to awkward, maybe I was / we were to lazy to switch the language (from the beginning on), but we never did a meeting completely in Spanish. For a while something like this would not have felt too scary to do. I could have managed this, however, I never thought about it anymore.
Anyway, we finally did it!
Just with a few clarifications for unknown words, like the name of trees... But I mean, what do you expect, when a meeting lasts about 7 hours? (Not all our meetings last that long, but this particular one did.)
My friend also mentioned some time ago, that not only my Spanish would certainly get a boost once I would spend some time in Spain, but also that they believe I could get along there with Spanish.

I'm making travel plans for the next year: taking a train to Spain (and Portugal). I just hope travelling will be possible more or less as it used to be. Really excited about that, though it needs a bit more preparation than my usual trips.

And as a side note: I finished the third book of the Ravenrings-trilogy in April. I know, that took quite a while... :oops:

----
Photo from one of my recent bicycle tours.
Green.jpg
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:49 am

I got the permission to post suggestions/corrections.

Kanske det är tid (för) att skriva någonnågot på svenska igen. I'd say "att"; gender.

Först trodde jag att den nya kursen är bara/bara är för att paus i sommaren är inte/inte är så långt. Word order; not sure what you mean - summer holidays?;word order; gender agreement (paus - lång).

Jag har redan skrivit om det sista gången/förra gången. Word choice.

Nu vet jag att det finns en liknande kurs i augusti och sedan i höstas till december. I höstas refers to the past - do you mean this upcoming autumn?

Nu tänker jag om det kanske skulle vara bättre för mig fortsätter/att fortsätta med den kursen och göra några kapitel från Rivstart-boken själv. Verb tense;verb tense. Option: "bättre för mig om jag fortsätter"... "och gör".

I alla fall väntar jag först till alla kursprogram är publicerat/publicerade så jag vet hur min gamla kurs fortsätter – på nätet eller i klassrummet etc. Adjective plural.

(Det var ganska praktiskt (innan)/före coronapandemin: går till kursen och sedan direkt till språkcaféet.) Word choice - innan is used before verbs, and före before nouns;verb tense.

Och där finns så mycket svenskspråkig folk/så många svenskspråkiga/svensktalande att du kan höra svenska nästan varannan gång på gatan. Word choice.

Ganska spännande hur det förändras i kort distans. Not sure what you mean - smth like på kort tid?

Hope this helps! Minor details really.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”