Kida's Japanese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: Kida's Japanese Log

Postby Rotasu » Mon May 02, 2016 3:11 am

Did you ever pick how you were going to learn vocabulary?
0 x
Gone

Kida_4000061
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner/ lower intermediate), & French (Very Basic & mostly forgotten)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2190

Postby Kida_4000061 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:05 am

Rotasu wrote:Did you ever pick how you were going to learn vocabulary?

I have not decided, but I am think of doing vocabulary centric reading approach for learning vocab. Since it is similar to what I am doing. Which is writing out sentence and looking a up the words that I am not familiar with.
1 x
Real Japanese Transcription: 5 / 13
The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: 0 / 2
The Loom of Language: 3 / 12

Kida_4000061
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner/ lower intermediate), & French (Very Basic & mostly forgotten)

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 am

Goals for week 13:
-Continue that Transcription of Real Japanese (Done, missed two days, but made it up this weekend)
-Continue reading The Loom of Language (Everyday, except yesterday)
Optional Goals:
-Continue working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs (Nope)
-Finish flashcards for Chapter 8 of Beginner Japanese Scripts (Nope)
-Practice reading Japanese dictionary definitions in Japanese (Nope)

Class are finally over, but school is not. That means I will have more time to study. I am track to finish transcription of 2 years Month 9 during middle of the week. I, also, plan on resuming my work in The Handbook of Japanese Verbs starting tomorrow. I am going to start my reviewing the first section and making a list of verbs that I have learned, and dive back into the new material.

On side note, I found some Japanese Music on CD that cases are written Chinese, but the song names, bands, and lyrics are in Japanese, strange. None the less it will be useful study materials.
Goals for week 14:
-Continue that Transcription of Real Japanese: 1 page per a day
-Continue reading The Loom of Language: 1 section per a day
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: review & then 1-3 exercises per a day
Optional Goals:
-Continue cutting out those Kanji flash cards
-flashcards for Chapter 8 of Beginner Japanese Scripts
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:13 am

Goals for week 14:
-Continue that Transcription of Real Japanese: 1 page per a day (Missed 2 days, but completed Month 9)
-Continue reading The Loom of Language: 1 section per a day (Missed a couple days)
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: review & then 1-3 exercises per a day (Review verbs, but have not gone further.
Optional Goals:
-Continue cutting out those Kanji flash cards (Did 2 pages)
-flashcards for Chapter 8 of Beginner Japanese Scripts (Nothing)

Recently, I have been think about focusing more pronunciation. I have looking pronunciation exercises. I plan on doing a overhaul for my Real Japanese: Kana & Kanji Version to date. I am going to be adding the note sections and footnotes. I, also, found that my copy of In Other Words by Mona Baker has 10 pages with ink written on them that I am don't like, but I think I can deal with it. The book was under priced and cheap.
Goals for week 15:
-Revise previous drafts of Real Japanese 4 different documents in total
-Continue reading The Loom of Language: 1 section per a day & Finish Chapter 3
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: make notes for previous section & then 1-3 exercises per a day
-Start practicing pronunciation once a day
Optional Goals:
-Continue cutting out those Kanji flash cards (Did 2 pages)
1 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:38 pm

Goals for week 15:
-Revise previous drafts of Real Japanese 4 different documents in total (In progress, I am hoping to finish revisions this week.)
-Continue reading The Loom of Language: 1 section per a day & Finish Chapter 3 (I finished chapter 3, but did not read everyday)
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: make notes for previous section & then 1-3 exercises per a day(I didn't do)
-Start practicing pronunciation once a day (Done!)
Optional Goals:

As part of my pronunciation practice, I decided to go through all Human Japanese, again. I just finish 5 chapter of basic level. For Real Japanese, I forgot mention I have to get everything done by the end of December.
Goals for week 15:
-Finish revision by the end of the week for Real Japanese
-Continue reading The Loom of Language: 1 section per a day
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: make notes for previous section & then 1-3 exercises per a day
-Work through 1-2 Chapters of Human Japanese (4/42? done)
Optional Goals:
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Goals for week 15:
-Finish revision by the end of the week for Real Japanese (No, I got near the end of month 7 and stopped because I was starting to burn out.
-Continue reading The Loom of Language: 1 section per a day (No, I am going to put it on hold)
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: make notes for previous section & then 1-3 exercises per a day (No, I wish)
-Work through 1-2 Chapters of Human Japanese (4/42 and done none)
Optional Goals:
-flashcards for Chapter 8 of Beginner Japanese Scripts (I finished the Japanese side, but have done the English side.)

I felt like I was starting to burn out in Real Japanese's revisions, so I stopped. I am also putting The Loom of Language on hold, until I get into a normal sleep cycle. I also worked through chapter 9 of Beginner Japanese Scripts, and now need make flashcards for it. Yesterday, I discovered this wonderful list(link:http://nihongo.monash.edu/japanese.html ) while looking for a piece of software in the "taking it further" section of Beginner Japanese Scripts, which is quite outdated. Some of links that I enjoyed on were Kanji A Day Mailing List, Kanji Puzzle, A large Jouyou Kanji List, and this list of Japanese Profiency Guidelines.
Goals for week 16:
-Work on Real Japanese Revision
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: make notes for previous section & then 1-3 exercises per a day, hopefully)
-Work through Chapters of Human Japanese (4/42)
-flashcards for Chapter 8 and 9 of Beginner Japanese Scripts
Optional Goals:
-Look at some sites more in depth on the list
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:59 am

Goals for week 16:
-Work on Real Japanese Revision (Somewhat?)
-Resume working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: make notes for previous section & then 1-3 exercises per a day, hopefully(I wish.)
-Work through Chapters of Human Japanese (4/42) (Done!)
-flashcards for Chapter 8 and 9 of Beginner Japanese Scripts (I did a couple)
Optional Goals:
-Continue cutting out those Kanji flash cards (Nope)
-Look at some sites more in depth on the list (Nope)

I have not done much studying, because we are currently going through a heat wave with a low 90s Fahrenheit. It should, hopefully, end this week. Also, the place that I live is on the 3rd floor and doesn't have AC.

With that out of the way, I made it to chapter 7 in Human Japanese and almost broke a 100 vocabulary words. I did a tiny bit of Kanji Kakitori-kun for Nintendo DS. I mostly practicing the reading. I tried a book called Reading Japanese, but stopped using once I realized how confusing the romanization is for the readings. Are all book for Learning Japanese from the 1970s like that? I am also planning my studies, somewhat.

Here is my current plan:
-Fill out Kanji card with vocab from Kanji Kakitori-kun and add vocab from the other resources as needed
-Continue working on Real Japanese Transcription (I need to get done by Mid-December, so I can a print version.)
-Continue Shadowing Human Japanese
-Practice sentence patterns from Real Japanese
-Learn how to use verbs (Since they seem to be an important key in understanding a Japanese sentence.)
-Learn how to use particles
-After developing a solid grasp of verbs, I will resume Reading Strategies for Japanese by Aihara.

~No Goals for week 17~
Just try to cool off, and get back into things.
1 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:14 am

Week 17
-No Goals

Correction from last week, I am chapter 9 not chapter.

This week, I have done some stuff. I finished chapter 10. Worked through two of three pages that were covered in reading circle. I still need go over the unfamiliar grammar for the second page. I realized today that I had cut out 200 of the jouyou Kanji flashcards. I also used my denshi jisho. Yesterday, I started a week long trial of Tae Kim Grammar Guide. Also, I resumed transcription of Real Japanese.
Goals for week 18
-do 2 lesson of Tae Kim per day on the last day decide whether or not to continue
-cut 100 Kanji flashcards because I feel like it
-do one page transcription for Real Japanese per day
-finish the 3 pages before the next reading circle
Optional
-Adding note Month 8 & 9 of Real Japanese
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Goals for week 18
-do 2 lesson of Tae Kim per day on the last day decide whether or not to continue (Skipped 2 day, but I am going to continue.)
-cut 100 Kanji flashcards because I feel like it (Nope, only did 20.)
-do one page transcription for Real Japanese per day (Did 4ish?)
-finish the 3 pages before the next reading circle (Nope, but 2/3 done)
Optional
-Adding note Month 8 & 9 of Real Japanese (Nope)

So there is a reason for lack of progress, I recently got back into Memrise and I am going through three courses: Kanji Radical Positions (already completed, It was a quick course.), Kanji radicals with meaning and reading, and Kanji meaning in the order of KO2k1. That is all of I have to say.
Goals for week 19
-do 2 lesson of Tae Kim per day and 1 set of notes for the previous lessons
-do 2 lesson for each course on Memrise per day
Optional:
-Add notes to Month 8 & 9 of Real Japanese
-Cut out Kanji flashcards
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Goals for week 19
-do 2 lesson of Tae Kim per day and 1 set of notes for the previous lessons
-do 2 lesson for each course on Memrise per day
Optional:
-Add notes to Month 8 & 9 of Real Japanese
-Cut out Kanji flashcards

Skipped Week 20, not because I forgot. I just didn't bother.

I continued doing Memrise for 2 units yesterday, but due how much time I put in memrise. I was slacking on Taekim, and Real Japanese, so I am thinking for stopping Memrise. That way I can put more time into Taekim, and Real Japanese. I also figure out that I have 160ish days to get Real Japanese done.

Goals for Week 21
-1 lesson TaeKim per day
-at least 1 page of Real Japanese transcribed per day
-work the thing that I had planned for Kanji Flashcards
0 x

Return to “Language logs”