M23's Language Log: Spanish and German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Re: M23's Language Log: Spanish and German

Postby M23 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 am

Spanish

TUS RESULTADOS
En función de tus resultados, estimamos que conoces 38% de palabras del español.

My results from http://vocabulario.bcbl.eu/ (yoinked from Reineke), which I feel like I have done before but I cannot recall what my previous results were. 38% seems low but after a stroke I consider that a win. It is much higher than it could have been. I will work on beefing that number up a bit.

I also marked "yes (that is a word)" on one word which was made up, so again not too bad.
3 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)

Postby M23 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:34 am

Spanish

I hung out with a friend that is originally from Colombia but lives here in the city and teaches Spanish in high school. I didn't realize how bad things were for her teaching until the end of the conversation when she mentioned a few things that she left out there for our next conversation. Anyway, our conversation this time around was better. I had more stamina, was more capable of following what was said, and was better with regards to my ability to speak. We spent quite a bit of time chatting about the Marvel series of movies, which I was not prepared for but was still pleased with my abilities as compared to last time. All in all it was a good conversation, and I hope to get together with my friend again sometime soon... hopefully in person because this whole relating to someone through a technological condom is not terribly fun.
9 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:27 pm

M23 wrote:All in all it was a good conversation, and I hope to get together with my friend again sometime soon... hopefully in person because this whole relating to someone through a technological condom is not terribly fun.
"Technological condom" has to go down in the notebook. Love it. :)
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

M23
Orange Belt

Postby M23 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:19 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
M23 wrote:All in all it was a good conversation, and I hope to get together with my friend again sometime soon... hopefully in person because this whole relating to someone through a technological condom is not terribly fun.
"Technological condom" has to go down in the notebook. Love it. :)

I do what I can. ;)
3 x

M23
Orange Belt

Postby M23 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:47 am

Spanish

I recently started back up with Duolingo Spanish because this semester has been really busy. I don't want to go to in depth but pretty much everyday wipes me out and there isn't much room to work on languages (or really anything else). I haven't started working on German with Duolingo because it was baking my brain when my brain was already done.

I went to a taco place that was in another part of the city (i.e., a place where it was not a sure thing that someone that spoke English would be there). There was a girl there who started off taking my order in English, but she seemed to have a rough time with it so I tried to switch to Spanish. I say "tried" because my brain is kind of like Swiss cheese now in that depending on how I am doing there are more or less holes in my vocabulary. I could not seem to remember the word for "order" and I could not seem to express the idea that if I ordered a taco would it come in an order of 4-5 or could I mix and match them. I explained (in Spanish) to the girl that I had a stroke a year or so ago and that my Spanish had not been the same. She seemed very understanding, and continued speaking Spanish with me. That setback pushed me to at least get a little Duolingo in everyday even if the schoolwork over the semester was taking up most of my time. School is a pain in my ass right now, but I got to put the work in if I want to keep my language skills in play.
8 x

M23
Orange Belt

Postby M23 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:36 pm

Spanish

I know, journal, I should update you. Lately I have been going to a Meetup that is once a month to try to get my speaking back up. I notice my brain is totally fine with the language being spoken, until it is not an then I cannot seem to understand a word. Anyway, aside from that I seem to be fine one moment and then not fine the next. I imagine it kind of makes it difficult to have a conversation with me. I think I just need to keep at it and shake off whatever aphasia (assuming that's what it is) is affecting my second language as much as I can.

I was watching this the other day and I appreciated that the host of this channel does not speak a million miles a minute, slur and drop sounds, and use a ton of slang like a lot of speakers from España do. At the same time she is analyzing the lyrics from someone does all of those thing with reckless abandon, so I could not finish the video because it made my brain hurt trying to understand the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90tiUPE8Or4

I also tried the listening exercise from this video and it went fairly well. I lost some of the smaller parts of the sentences like a "de" and a "nada de," and only had to look up one word: encaresidamente. I also do not quite get the meaning of "Lo siento aquí," so if someone can clue me in I would appreciate it. Anyway, here is what I had:

Mi mama tiene un amante (5)
Dios de mi vida santa. Quien. Muy joven, como de mi edad (6)
Y punto número dos cómo sabes que es él (9)
Lo siento aquí. Yo lo sé. (6)
Malas noticias por el muchacho porque aquí no hay nada de dinero. (12)
Les voy a pedir encaresidamente que dejen este chisme horroroso sobre mi mamá. (14)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g925rnkklE

I think I will do more listening exercises since I need to watch tv with subtitles, and I will definitely do more speaking since that is where I am really weak.
4 x

M23
Orange Belt

Postby M23 » Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 am

Spanish

Hi there, language log. Did you miss me? I have been super busy with school and studying for my certification (which I got) that I have not had much time or headspace to put to my languages. Now, however, I have the summer off so I have time to work on my Spanish. As far as my German goes, I am not really sure what is going to happen with that since I have a lot to learn for my job and less brain space to do it with. When I get back out into the working world I might just work on learning some travel German and be content with that.

In Spanish-world I have been watching Pokémon in Spanish and I just started slowly reading through a Daniel Silva book in Spanish. I am stopping to look up words that I do not know or feel unfamiliar with and reading one small chapter feels like a workout at this point. I am going to make an effort at speaking this summer, and I have a Meet Up scheduled for this Wednesday.

My head is feeling a little more clear, so I decided to try and take the test I took a few posts back. This time, without improving anything but my headspace, I was able to move my test score up to 52%. That is quite a jump.
7 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue May 30, 2023 9:43 pm

Done like a true fighting rabbit! Congratulations!
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Wed May 31, 2023 1:24 pm

M23 wrote:In Spanish-world I have been watching Pokémon in Spanish

¿Cuál doblaje estás oyendo? ¿El doblaje en el que dicen "poKEmon" o en el que dicen "pokeMÓN"? :D (España vs. Latinoamérica.)

and I have a Meet Up scheduled for this Wednesday.

Antes de Covid yo solía ir a varios Meetups de francés y a veces de español, pero desde entonces parece que mucha menos gente asiste. Aunque quizá en tu ciudad es diferente. Sería interesante si a los otros les preguntaras qué opinan del número de gente que iba antes comparado con hoy en día.
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed May 31, 2023 1:57 pm

Querneus wrote:
and I have a Meet Up scheduled for this Wednesday.

Antes de Covid yo solía ir a varios Meetups de francés y a veces de español, pero desde entonces parece que mucha menos gente asiste. Aunque quizá en tu ciudad es diferente. Sería interesante si a los otros les preguntaras qué opinan del número de gente que iba antes comparado con hoy en día.

Soy el organizador de una reunión de francés en mi ciudad y parece que sí hay menos participantes que antes.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”