I Like Languages [German, French, Urdu]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: I Like Languages [German, French, Urdu]

Postby Elenia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Good luck!
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Hello, I've studied a bit of German, a lot of French and a lot more Hindi (but no Urdu), so we have a bit in common in our learning. There are many good Hindi and Urdu resources, but one you must make yourself familiar with is the Hindi/Urdu Flagship website, especially Glossaries Alive (http://hindiurduflagship.org/resources/learning-teaching/glossaries-alive/), podcasts about the vocabulary from each chapter of Teach Yourself Hindi, and Spoken Thesaurus (http://hindiurduflagship.org/resources/learning-teaching/spoken-thesaurus/), discussions 90% in Hindi about more advanced vocabulary by topic.
Also, since you know French, the Assimil books are accessible. They don't have an Urdu textbook, but Hindi sans peine is excellent. I find it really interesting to learn a language through another language I'm learning.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Re: Emma's 2016 Log [Summer of German]

Postby Atinkoriko » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:16 am

EmmaC02 wrote:I figured I would start off a little slow today, as far as 'formal' learning goes. I spent a large portion of the day chatting casually in German, and watched a little over 3 and a half Super Challenge movies. We aren't very far into this Super Challenge, but I'm already starting to see and understand the benefits. It's quite exciting, although I know at some point the progress will slow dramatically.

Tomorrow I hope to get back into the swing of Assimil, as well as potentially something like DLI or even Glossika. My main goal for this month is to increase my comprehension as well as my vocabulary, with my secondary goal being improving my pronunciation. Luckily I feel as though the Super Challenge perfectly suits these goals!

I've been watching a lot of German video games on Youtube. Video games aren't really my thing, never have been, but I find the videos very useful. They always have the subtitles turned on in game, so I can follow along easier and look up words I don't know but see often. Also, the commentary from the person playing is naturally casual and colloquial, but not too filled with regionalisms as their audience is widespread. The other thing is that it's helping me to internalise how to describe movement, which I find tough. All the her, hin, raus, da, dort, etc.

Anyways, until tomorrow!

Hey, I know right? Video game videos are actually a great and little used resource, apparently. Who do you watch? I find KeysJore quite pleasant and funny
0 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:29 pm

I thought you might like to know that Schoenhof's is having a big sale this weekend, and Hindi sans peine is on sale for 70% off ($26.09). http://www.schoenhofs.com/HINDI-SANS-PEINE-BKampCDampMP3-CD_p_40689.html I'm almost disappointed I already have it! ;)
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:07 am

jeffers wrote:Hello, I've studied a bit of German, a lot of French and a lot more Hindi (but no Urdu), so we have a bit in common in our learning. There are many good Hindi and Urdu resources, but one you must make yourself familiar with is the Hindi/Urdu Flagship website, especially Glossaries Alive (http://hindiurduflagship.org/resources/learning-teaching/glossaries-alive/), podcasts about the vocabulary from each chapter of Teach Yourself Hindi, and Spoken Thesaurus (http://hindiurduflagship.org/resources/learning-teaching/spoken-thesaurus/), discussions 90% in Hindi about more advanced vocabulary by topic.
Also, since you know French, the Assimil books are accessible. They don't have an Urdu textbook, but Hindi sans peine is excellent. I find it really interesting to learn a language through another language I'm learning.

Hey! It's nice to find others who are taking on similar languages, particularly ones like Hindi/Urdu since they aren't too common. Thank you so much for your recommendations and the info about the sale down below, I really appreciate that. I'll definitely be checking all those resources out, as well as your log!
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:10 am

Atinkoriko wrote:
EmmaC02 wrote:I figured I would start off a little slow today, as far as 'formal' learning goes. I spent a large portion of the day chatting casually in German, and watched a little over 3 and a half Super Challenge movies. We aren't very far into this Super Challenge, but I'm already starting to see and understand the benefits. It's quite exciting, although I know at some point the progress will slow dramatically.

Tomorrow I hope to get back into the swing of Assimil, as well as potentially something like DLI or even Glossika. My main goal for this month is to increase my comprehension as well as my vocabulary, with my secondary goal being improving my pronunciation. Luckily I feel as though the Super Challenge perfectly suits these goals!

I've been watching a lot of German video games on Youtube. Video games aren't really my thing, never have been, but I find the videos very useful. They always have the subtitles turned on in game, so I can follow along easier and look up words I don't know but see often. Also, the commentary from the person playing is naturally casual and colloquial, but not too filled with regionalisms as their audience is widespread. The other thing is that it's helping me to internalise how to describe movement, which I find tough. All the her, hin, raus, da, dort, etc.

Anyways, until tomorrow!

Hey, I know right? Video game videos are actually a great and little used resource, apparently. Who do you watch? I find KeysJore quite pleasant and funny

Would you believe me if I said that I pretty much watch KeysJore exclusively? :lol: I've tried to watch a couple of the other popular guys, but I find they're a bit too much for me. I'm not exactly the intended audience for those video game guys, so once I find a commentator I like, I stick with them, because that's rare!
1 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am

EmmaC02 wrote:
Atinkoriko wrote:

Anyways, until tomorrow!

Would you believe me if I said that I pretty much watch KeysJore exclusively? :lol: I've tried to watch a couple of the other popular guys, but I find they're a bit too much for me. I'm not exactly the intended audience for those video game guys, so once I find a commentator I like, I stick with them, because that's rare!

Hahaha, that's wonderful. I had tried a few of them out before I found him. EinQuantum Pro speaks with a mouth full of pebbles, Gronkh tries to speak as fast as a Parisian etc Yeah, I pretty much watch him exclusively. In the first video I understood little, now about 100 videos later and I understand practically everything. I recommend his Uncharted 4 series, if you haven't already. So many funny moments that I'd forget I was watching something in German rather than English.
0 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

Return to “Language logs”