I Like Languages [German, French, Urdu]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Re: Emma's 2016 French and German Log

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:50 am

So I know my day isn't quite over yet, and I still have a few things I am planning to do, but I want to start updating my log a bit earlier in the evening. I'll still continue crossing goals off my list for today!

French

I'm feeling a little bit better today about French. My lang-8 posts are starting to show where my weaknesses lay, and what exactly it is that I need to be improving upon. Also, I managed to sign up for my university's FLS discussion groups, and I'm looking forward to that. I've also realised that, for now, I don't need to bother with any overly complicated grammar. Focusing on the, as I call them, 'big 6 tenses' and being able to use them naturally will be sufficient for my exam.

That being said, the way I'm going to go forward with the Complete French Grammar textbook is going to change.

French Goals for Tomorrow
- Lang-8 post
- 2 hours native content
- Harry Potter chapter 6
- Complete French Grammar futur proche and futur simple

German

Another successful German day! I wrote my university German midterm this morning and felt confident. In the written section I had fun using structures and words that we've never looked at in class. German is just so fun to use. I've also been discovering more and more German music, and I have trouble understanding why it has a reputation as an ugly language. It gets described as harsh, but to me it sounds softer than French. Ah well, it must be all the WWII movies.

German Goals for Tomorrow
- Lang-8 post
- Episode 4 of extr@
- Review any anki flashcards due/new
- Michel Thomas lesson 6
- Assimil lesson 4
- Next level of Memrise German A1
- Intensive reading of Slow German podcast and create word lists/cloze deletion cards

Swedish

Today was a good day for Swedish! Thanks to some of the members here on HTLAL I have got myself more resources. I downloaded a nice looking grammar textbook, as well as a workbook. There are a couple more I still need to look into, but for now I'm pleased with what I have. I'm also going to look to see what sort of children's books I can find so I can begin intensive reading. Ideally in a few weeks I will be able to begin writing small daily Lang-8 posts.

Swedish Goals for Tomorrow
- Pimsleur lesson 8
- Review Teach Yourself unit 1
Last edited by EmmaC02 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 am

EmmaC02 wrote:Swedish

Today was a good day for Swedish! Thanks to some of the members here on HTLAL I have got myself more resources. I downloaded a nice looking grammar textbook, as well as a workbook. There are a couple more I still need to look into, but for now I'm pleased with what I have. I'm also going to look to see what sort of children's books I can find so I can begin intensive reading. Ideally in a few weeks I will be able to begin writing small daily Lang-8 posts.

Swedish Goals for Tomorrow
- Pimsleur lesson 8
- Review Teach Yourself unit 1

Astrid Lindgren might be a good place to start. If your bank doesn't charge you ridiculous fees for overseas payments, you can try Storytel.se, where you'll find audiobooks. I believe your first month with them should be free, otherwise they have an offer where you can pay 9 SEK for a month period. You'll have to be careful, because after the first month (whether free or 9kr), the price will go up to full price which is about 169 SEK. It's a fairly good investment, if you can afford it, as they also have ebooks for some texts - although not every ebook has audio. There is also an app, through which you can download things for offline access. You might want to save it until later on in your Swedish journey.
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:25 pm

I am absolutely living for Lang-8 right now. I feel like even by just writing 50-60 words in German (and more in French) that I'm learning so much. I now have written a German and a French post 4 days in a row, and I've been able to look through them all and pinpoint a couple mistakes that I have made more than once. So I'm going to write them all down, pop em into Anki, and try to use a similar construction in my next post, but correct this time. :D
0 x

~Mg~
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (B2), French (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2370

Postby ~Mg~ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi Emma,
I'm following your log with great interest since I'm learning French too (I just started one month ago so I'm only at the very beginning, but I'll do my best to catch up with you ;)). Anyway, I've read that you are a frequent lang-8-user and therefore I wanted to ask if you're willing to tell me your lang-8-nickname, so that I can add you as a friend. I'd be glad to help you with your German studies if you want, as I'm a native (Austrian) German speaker.
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:50 pm

~Mg~ wrote:Hi Emma,
I'm following your log with great interest since I'm learning French too (I just started one month ago so I'm only at the very beginning, but I'll do my best to catch up with you ;)). Anyway, I've read that you are a frequent lang-8-user and therefore I wanted to ask if you're willing to tell me your lang-8-nickname, so that I can add you as a friend. I'd be glad to help you with your German studies if you want, as I'm a native (Austrian) German speaker.

My lang-8 nickname is EmmaC02 just like my name here :)

I'm sure you will catch up with me, my writing is pretty darn abysmal!
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:36 am

So I'm going to achieve all of today's goals as there is still time left in the day. I'm not going to set any goals for this weekend though as I have a large assignment due Monday that I have not started, and it's worth half my grade. That being said, I'll certainly still do some language learning, and I will write about what I did each night. I'll probably do quite a bit of fooling around as I've got my hands on some new resources :twisted:
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:57 am

Time to sum up the day! Today I didn't really too too much language "learning", so much as planning. I didn't have enough time to start a proper lesson because of university, however I did find enough time to take a peek at some new resources I have and think about a plan of action for each of my languages. So below I'm going to outline my thoughts. As always, any suggestions or comments are welcome. These are just general guidelines I think I will follow, however they are certainly malleable.

French

So after looking through my lang-8 posts from the past 4 days, I have noticed and taken note of certain errors I consistently make. I seem to struggle with the tiny, yet incredibly important words such as; y, en, que/qui, etc. Basically, all of the words that replace parts of the sentence (I can't think of the proper term for them lol). I also guess too often whether my past participles need to accord or not. Since I have identified some of these weak points, I'll be able to study them, drill the living heck out of them, and make sure I don't see those mistakes pop up anymore on lang-8.

I have registered for my university's French discussion group workshop things, but I'm also going to try to talk to myself more often... or at least in my head. I need to make sure I don't have troubles naturally describing what I'm doing, what I see, etc. To be honest, I think I'm probably better at speaking about academic subjects than say, describing how to log onto a computer.

Finally, I'm going to continue listening and reading native French content, focusing specifically on argumentative words and conjunctions. The only way to get the hang of these is to see them over and over in context, as well as use them over and over on lang-8 too!

German

Here is a quick rundown of my German resources that I am using/will use, not including TV shows and podcasts:
- Assimil German with Ease
- Michel Thomas (Beginning, Advanced and Language Builder)
- Memrise A1 + A2
- FSI German
- Übungsgrammatik Deutsch als Fremdsprache
- "Tintenherz" as well as the English translation, "Inkheart" and the German audiobook
- Almost 200 graded readers of various difficulties

Here is what I am currently doing; I have been doing an Assimil lesson a day, as well as A Michel Thomas lesson a day, because they are both review for me at this point in time. I have also been watching an episode of extr@ a day, writing a small lang-8 post daily, doing a couple levels of Memrise German A1 a day, and attempting to catch up with the German book club on "Tintenherz". Every Friday I have been going through a Slow German podcast, translating it and creating word lists and Anki cloze deletion cards with important vocabulary I don't know.

I plan to continue to do all of that. I'm going to go through one or two sections of the grammar textbook weekly, and I've also considered focusing on one conjunction or common german word (mal, ja, etc.) in particular every week in order to get a fairly nuanced understanding of how to use them.

Once I finish Tintenherz I will start to look more closely at the graded readers I have, but for now that novel is more than enough. It takes me a long time to get through one chapter because I read it in English, then read it in German with the English version beside it, then listen to the German version while reading it. So all in all, I read each chapter 3 times.

I also don't want to do anything with FSI until I'm through with Michel Thomas. I think they would burn me out together, as they both seem very call and repeat heavy.

Swedish

Good old Swedish! Unfortunately this awesome language is going to be the bridesmaid for the next month, until I don't need to focus so much on French. That being said, I feel like I can still establish a pretty decent base with the resources and time that I have, so that once I have more time to put work into it, I can get going nice and quickly. At the moment I have;

- Pimsleur
- Teach Yourself Swedish
- Assimil Suédois sans peine
- Colloquial Swedish
- FSI Swedish
- RivStart A1A2 book, audio and workbook

I'm going to continue doing 6 Pimsleur lessons a week followed by a review (there are only 30 in total and I've done 8), as well as a Teach Yourself unit with a review every week. Once I'm done with Pimsleur I'm going to begin the Assimil course. From there I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do, but I'll have a better idea once that day comes.

So, if anyone suffered through this long post and has any comments, concerns or suggestions, please feel free to share! I'm still trying to discover how I learn languages, so I won't take anything to heart if you think I'm wasting my time somewhere! :lol: I know this may look like a lot to do, but I have so much time during the day to kill while I commute to school, work, etc. that it's not too bad, and I love feeling like I'm being productive every second of the day.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Seems like a fair bit on your plate, but as long as you have the time and the energy, then it's all fine. I would say work on the readers now. It will be a lot of reading with Tintenherz, you're right, but it should hopefully make reading Tintenherz easier. It might be worth reading through each chapter twice: first English with German audio, then German with German audio. It may not work for you, but I find it a pleasant way to read, and it cuts down on one extra step. I particularly like the extra memory aid that listening in German while reading in English gives. I'm not very good at German, but I can usually follow along fine, and find my place when I am lost. I find I get a lot more mileage from mixing L1 text with L2 audio then from reading texts in parallel (although that does help, too).
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Wow! Life has taken a very odd turn these past few weeks and I have unfortunately gone missing on here! I'm going to make a quick post saying that I'm going to post in more detail tomorrow, in order to hold myself accountable! I'm glad that I'll be able to get back into the swing of things this week, I've missed my languages and daily posts :lol:
2 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:36 am

Alright, I'm officially back! There have been a few changes in regards to the amount of free time I have. I now have a second part-time job to go along with my university studies. That's not the reason for my complete absence however. I've just had a huge string of friend's birthdays and such, so I've pretty much been on a 2 week bender. University, eh? :lol:

In other news, I now know where in Germany I'll be heading to study in under 6 months! I'm very very excited. Now I just need to not spend anymore money so I can save as much as possible for travelling!

French

Although I haven't done very much studying lately, I have gone to a couple of hour long French discussion sessions, and have continued to listen to Radio France podcasts. I've also been trying to describe what I'm doing, and noting what sorts of things I have trouble saying. These next few weeks I'll be attempting to focus on French more than German as I have my exam coming up in just under a month.

French Goals for Tomorrow
-Intensively read an essay from an academic journal on a subject relating to my major - I have access to an abundance of these resources through my university (perks of bilingual education!) - I want to pay close attention to key argumentative words and conjunctions, as well as just the general sophisticated sentence structure
- Lang-8 post in response to said essay or in response to a Radio France debate (current affairs)
-Listen to 1-2 hours of Radio France debate

German

I have managed to at least do some German. I've continued to keep my streaks going on Memrise because I'm anal like that, and I have continued to read Tintenherz as well as some graded readers. I've been looking up grammar constructions here or there that I notice while reading, and making sure to keep an eye out for them as I continue - helps to consolidate the knowledge. I've also watching all of Extr@ and watched some football in German. I haven't done anything 'formal', however, with my resources. Overall though, I haven't done much.

I'm going to continue on with the plan I had outlined a few weeks ago for German, and just pick up where I left off. I'm going to give myself a couple days to get back into the groove of things before adding in anything from my grammar textbook or special word studies.

German Goals for Tomorrow
- Next 2 chapters of Tintenherz (hoping to catch up soonish)I ONLY DID 1
- Memrise A2 half-level (about 25 items)
- Assimil lesson 5
- Michel Thomas lessons 16-20
- Anki review
- Lang-8 post

Swedish

Ohhhh Swedish. Unfortunately my dear, with my second part time job I just don't have enough time to commit to you. I don't want to do a disservice to you, so I shall be pushing you back until university is over (May). :cry:
Last edited by EmmaC02 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”