wwiding's French log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Re: wwiding's French log

Postby wwiding » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 pm

I did some excercises from the book "Communication Progressive du Francais. Niveau debutant." It's very readable but I'm not going to focus on it because I've got to many other things going right now. I will read it from time to time when I need a confidence boost.

I also got the book "Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar." So far, it's probably my favorite French grammar book. I've got to work a twelve hour shift today so I probably won't get much done unfortunately.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 am

I did the audio from DLI Basic French lesson 9 today. I'm still working through the exercises from lesson 8 as well.
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 am

Transcribed some of the audio from DLI. I'm finishing up with some reading before I leave for work. DLI is really helping me put things together. When I'm transcribing, I don't have to think about using the letters "s" or "x" at the end of plural words. Verb conjugation is becoming easier as well. This is exactly what I had hoped would happen.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:04 am

Finished transcribing DLI lesson 9. I glanced through the first chapter of La Strategie Ender and so far it's pretty easy for me to understand. I'll probably continue reading it since it was one of my favorite books when I was younger and I know the story pretty well.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 am

wwiding wrote:Finished transcribing DLI lesson 9.
I tried transcribing a short podcast yesterday. I found it harder than I expected. :-(
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

DaveBee wrote:
wwiding wrote:Finished transcribing DLI lesson 9.
I tried transcribing a short podcast yesterday. I found it harder than I expected. :-(

It can be really difficult, especially if you don't know the vocabulary. Did you listen to the podcast before transcribing? I like to listen to the material first, translate anything I don't understand, then wait one day before transcribing to make sure I'm not relying on memory. Transcribing really helps me internalize the material so for me it's worth the difficulty.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Just an update. I'm on lesson 10 right now. I think I'm going to review lesson ten a few times(it's a review lesson any way) to make sure I really understand the material before I move on. I'm reading "La Strategie Ender" when I have time, which isn't very often due to my work schedule. I haven't read "Enders Game" in years and I'm really surprised at how simple the language is, I'm not familiar with some of the tenses used but it's easy enough to figure out with the deepL translator.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am

I did more reviews of lesson 10 after my string of 12 hour shifts. I had to stop when my power went out this weekend during a storm. I'm still progressing, not as quickly as I'd like but it is what it is. I'm really thinking about studying for the CCNA exams which would slow down my French studies a little bit, but would also put me in a better place.
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 am

I completed the audio from lesson 11 today and read a little bit of "La Strategie Ender". It's far more interesting than Harry Potter. Don't get me wrong, I like Harry Potter and I grew up reading it, but I've read it so many times now that I'm just bored with it.

"La Strategie Ender" has some very readable paragraphs, with some harder to read paragraphs in between. Usually, when I have to translate, it's not because I don't know the individual words, but because I don't understand the way they're used together. I may even finish the series, but I don't know yet. I'll decide when I'm done with the first book. I thought about reading some RL Stine books in French too if they're available.
1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:43 am

wwiding wrote:...
I thought about reading some RL Stine books in French too if they're available.

Yep, definitely available!. Including the "Chair de poule" series which, contrary to my first guess, does not mean "Chicken Chair".
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Return to “Language logs”