Hero's journal log: relearning English and japanese!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Heros
Languages: Spansih (N), English (B1), Japanese (Absolute beginner), Latin (Pre-intermediate), Ancient Greek (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2085

Hero's journal log: relearning English and japanese!

Postby Heros » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello everybody and welcome to my crazy log! I'm Heros -called Alex if you want- and I'm from Spain where I live now. This is my first journal in this forum and I'm a bit of nervous because I seldom write -speak- in English. I hope to learn a lot in this year.

My target languages are:

English

I think I likely have a intermediate level (B1) at this moment. I studied English at high school and university but I only learn how to read fluently in this language. I did an English test at my university where I get a B2 although when I moved to London six month ago before I couldn't understand well what londoners said me. It's interesting that I can understand when I listen to british news radio and I see american sitcoms with subtitles.

My current goal is to improve my writing -I'm really suck writing in another language- speaking and listening during this year till to achieve a B2 or C1 level.

I use those learning material:

-TVE English: A tv course for learning English available in Youtube. It has three different levels: Basic, Intermediate and Advance.

-BBC radio and podcast with transcription.

-A lot of songs from Elvis Presley to Busted for shadowing. Ok, I have audiobooks too. The Hunger Games are my favourite trilogy of books

-Movies and TV series as House, Criminal Minds. There are many children cartoons in Youtube but it's a shame they've not subtitles.

-Lang8 and Italki

Japanese

I'm an absolute begginer. I'm only know how to read kanas. I'm very interested in learning Japanese because I love its culture: literature, arts, philosophy and beliefs.

My current goal is to reach a B1 level at least. I wish to speak to Japanese native speaker this year :roll:

I use those learning material:

-Teach Yourself Japanese for learning basic grammar. However this course is written in romaji.

-Assimil: Books I and II (2006 edition)

-Japanese in Mangaland by Marc Bernabe.

- Kodomo Mangas.

-Podcast and NHK radio.

Thank you for reading and wish me good luck :mrgreen:
2 x
If you spot any grammatical mistakes in my post, please tell me ;)

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Hero's journal log: relearning English and japanese!

Postby Elenia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:54 pm

If you would like to learn to understand British English for your next visit here, I would recommend looking at some British series. Of course, if that is not your goal, feel free to disregard that advice. But as you say you understand news already, BBC Radio will probably not do much to get you used to understanding real people. There are a lot of (very awful) soaps set in different places in the UK. Despite being mostly, if not entirely, terrible, they have the plus sides of being extremely long running and having wide but consistent casts of characters. Things like 'Eastenders', 'Emmerdale' and 'Coronation Street' will expose you to a variety of different accents from around England, although not really any from Scotland, Northern Island or Wales.
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Good luck with your studies! I'm currently relearning Japanese, which I studied at university long ago.

I think your written English is better than you think. It reads naturally, with only minor errors. If you'd like the occasional correction, you can state that in your signature (user control panel -> profile -> manage signature).
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 pm

Since you already know kana, you might want to avoid romaji and start getting used to kanji. Have you checked out the Minna No Nihongo series? I think they have a Spanish version of their grammar notes. If your goal is speaking, you might also be interested in checking out Pimsleur Japanese.

How will you be learning Japanese vocabulary?
0 x
Gone

Heros
Languages: Spansih (N), English (B1), Japanese (Absolute beginner), Latin (Pre-intermediate), Ancient Greek (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2085

Postby Heros » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Rotasu wrote:Since you already know kana, you might want to avoid romaji and start getting used to kanji. Have you checked out the Minna No Nihongo series? I think they have a Spanish version of their grammar notes. If your goal is speaking, you might also be interested in checking out Pimsleur Japanese.

How will you be learning Japanese vocabulary?

Thank you for your reply and your recommendation, Rotasu. I'll search for it.

I'll use some japanese decks from Memorise and NHK World website as my main resources for vocabulary.

Elenia wrote:If you would like to learn to understand British English for your next visit here, I would recommend looking at some British series. Of course, if that is not your goal, feel free to disregard that advice. But as you say you understand news already, BBC Radio will probably not do much to get you used to understanding real people. There are a lot of (very awful) soaps set in different places in the UK. Despite being mostly, if not entirely, terrible, they have the plus sides of being extremely long running and having wide but consistent casts of characters. Things like 'Eastenders', 'Emmerdale' and 'Coronation Street' will expose you to a variety of different accents from around England, although not really any from Scotland, Northern Island or Wales.

Thank you for your advice, Elenia.

I'll try to find some of those TV series you said. I have some british TV series in DVD at this moment: Upstairs Downstairs (without english subtitles for some reason), The Benny Hill's Show, Sherlock and Man about the house.

tangleweeds wrote:I think your written English is better than you think. It reads naturally, with only minor errors. If you'd like the occasional correction, you can state that in your signature (user control panel -> profile -> manage signature).

Thank you, Tangleweeds! I did it ;)
2 x
If you spot any grammatical mistakes in my post, please tell me ;)

Return to “Language logs”