wallflower's Swedish (and only Swedish) log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
wallflower
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Swedish (Int.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20207

wallflower's Swedish (and only Swedish) log

Postby wallflower » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm

Given that I signed up for the 2024-2025 Super Challenge, it seems like starting a language log is the logical next step?

Introductions are awkward, so I'll stick to the main points:

My past: I have some experience with learning French and Spanish through school/university, but most of what I learned is long gone over the years that have passed. Independently I've had attempts at a great many languages, but I won't list them as they were all brief.

My present: Swedish is my long-term project, or pastime I should say, since "project" has too much of a structured vibe. I only work on listening and reading; I have no use for speaking and writing. I've been learning for a few years now, and my current level with the language is "comfortable," or in other words, I can do most of the things I want in the language without a lot of struggle. No real goals, just "keep doing stuff regularly with the language." I guess in that regard, the Super Challenge fits with what I want to do anyway, just puts some numbers to it.

And then there's French. I've described it as short-term in the log title, because I am indifferent towards it and I don't know how long I'll keep it around. I have the Assimil French with Ease course from 2020, and to date I have completed 27/100 lessons. My goal here is to complete 49/100 lessons, and then decide if I'll continue through all 100 or if I'll stop there and say "I gave it a go and it's not for me."

I also dabble in other languages without any goals.

My future:
  • The Super Challenge in Swedish (full version). May 1, 2024 to December 31, 2025 works out to 610 days; 100 films x 90 minutes = 9,000 minutes; 100 books x 50 pages = 5,000 pages; across 610 days those work out to
    • Aprrox. 15 minutes/day of listening/watching
    • Approx. 8.2 pages/day reading (round up to 9 to be safe)
  • In general with Swedish, I do want to set and achieve some sort of "hours spent" goal, but I haven't decided exactly what yet.
  • As mentioned with French, complete 49/100 lessons of Assimil French with Ease.
I'll leave it there for now. Thanks for reading, and if you've signed up for a version (or several!) of the Super Challenge, good luck! :D

For Reference: Super Challenge Links

Edits:
• 05/20/24 changed log title and added some links to Super Challenge threads/info
• 06/01/24 log title
Last edited by wallflower on Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
19 x

Tumlare
Yellow Belt
Swedish (B2+, main focus)
French (False beginner)
German (dabbling)

Studied in the past but can no longer speak: Japanese, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19877

Re: wallflower's language log: long-term Swedish, short-term French, other languages without a plan

Postby Tumlare » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am

Always nice to see another Swedish learner!

wallflower wrote:I have the Assimil French with Ease course from 2020, and to date I have completed 27/100 lessons. My goal here is to complete 49/100 lessons, and then decide if I'll continue through all 100 or if I'll stop there and say "I gave it a go and it's not for me."

I'm also working my way through Assimil French (currently on lesson 15/100). What is your process like? I feel as though I am not really internalizing the words as I should.
1 x
SC Swedish listening: : 4215 / 18000 4215/18000 minutes
SC Swedish reading: : 999 / 10000 999/10000 pages

SC French listening: : 108 / 4500 108/4500 minutes
SC French reading: : 21 / 2500 21/2500 pages

wallflower
White Belt
Swedish (Int.)

Re: wallflower's language log: long-term Swedish, short-term French, other languages without a plan

Postby wallflower » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:02 pm

Tumlare wrote:
wallflower wrote:I have the Assimil French with Ease course from 2020, and to date I have completed 27/100 lessons. My goal here is to complete 49/100 lessons, and then decide if I'll continue through all 100 or if I'll stop there and say "I gave it a go and it's not for me."

I'm also working my way through Assimil French (currently on lesson 15/100). What is your process like? I feel as though I am not really internalizing the words as I should.

I have a similar problem, actually. I don't think that I am absorbing the material as readily as I do with other languages. My "process" isn't very fancy, just heavy repetition. Here are the details, if you still want them:

— — —

How I Use Assimil French with Ease
1. Dump the lesson audio into Audacity
2. Loop the lesson audio a few times (usually 2-4x), trying to understand as much as possible without pausing
3. If I had 2+ areas of difficulty in comprehension after step 2, I loop the audio line-by-line until I’ve (hopefully) cleared up as much of the confusion as possible, or until I just can't be bothered anymore (anywhere from another 2-8x per line)
4. Listen while reading the French text (1-2x; if I have brain fog I'll do more)
5. Listen while reading the English translation (1x)
6. Read the lesson notes
7. Make Anki sentence cards* out of the audio (I have the mp3 version of the super pack)

I don't do the exercises how the book suggests, I just dump those into Anki too (more sentences to practice).

*These are recognition cards: French text + audio on the front, English translation and any explanation I felt necessary on the back.

— — —

I don't know that this is the most effective way to approach the lessons, but I do it this way to put a heavy emphasis on making my brain do its best to figure out the listening part before all else. I also had several years of French classes 15+ years ago, so I have some familiarity with French and thus might be able to fill in more "blanks" than someone who has less experience with the language can. Basically, ymmv. Good luck!
4 x

Tumlare
Yellow Belt
Swedish (B2+, main focus)
French (False beginner)
German (dabbling)

Studied in the past but can no longer speak: Japanese, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19877

Postby Tumlare » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your method! I will look into adding audio to Anki cards as I think that will help with vocabulary retention.
2 x
SC Swedish listening: : 4215 / 18000 4215/18000 minutes
SC Swedish reading: : 999 / 10000 999/10000 pages

SC French listening: : 108 / 4500 108/4500 minutes
SC French reading: : 21 / 2500 21/2500 pages

wallflower
White Belt
Swedish (Int.)

Postby wallflower » Sat May 04, 2024 4:53 am

The Super Challenge started on Wednesday and I was somewhat unprepared. Not with material, rather with tracking! I don't normally track hours, pages, etc. so I had no plan for how to do so. Thank goodness there are other users here on the forum who are skilled with spreadsheets. I ended up going with the spreadsheet posted by robokey here, with a few adjustments. (Thanks robokey!)

I don't know at what pace I will post updates. For now, I'm going to update whenever the mood strikes.

Swedish
Wed., 05/01:
  • Podcast: Talkshow i P1 “David Dencik & guldmysteriet i Mölndal” (episode from April 4; 00:54)
  • Reading: Tills alla dör by Diamant Salihu, 18 pages (through ch.2)
  • TV: I dina händer, episode 1 (00:36)
Thurs., 05/02:
  • Podcast: Talkshow i P1 “Hur lönsam är en gammal student, om myter kring familjebildning och om bundna län som sägs upp utan tennisboll i munnen.” (episode from April 15; 00:34)
Fri., 05/03:
  • Podcast: Talkshow i P1 “Artisten Love Antell, medborgarlön och indiskt val” (episode from April 24; 00:36)
  • Reading: Tills alla dör by Diamant Salihu, 21 pages (ch.3-5)
  • TV: I dina händer, episode 2 (00:42)

French
Wed., 05/01:
  • Assimil: half of lesson 33
Fri., 05/03:
  • Assimil: finished lesson 33

Norwegian
Fri., 05/03:
  • The Mystery of Nils: chapter 7

Super Challenge So Far
Listening: 3h 22m (2h 37m over pace)
Reading: 39 pages (14.5 pages over pace)

— — —

Random Thoughts & Observations

I might upgrade to a double challenge if I can keep up my current pace with Swedish content. I had thought to do so when I signed up, but at the same time I didn't want to feel overwhelmed by the obligation. I'll see how things go during the first couple of months of the challenge and decide later.

Since the SC began, I have had to limit time spent on French in order to prioritize Swedish. I was hoping to keep up the one-lesson-a-day pace I had going with Assimil, but doing a full lesson in the way I do them takes more time than I can dedicate in a single day alongside the SC commitment. Doing the SC plus attempting to complete 49/100 French lessons will be a learning experience probably- I haven't attempted two goals in two different languages simultaneously before, and I am already getting a taste of what that is like :shock:

Norwegian is one of my "dabble" languages. I was happy to have some extra time tonight to get in a chapter. I can usually get an entire chapter done in one sitting, since the language is so similar to Swedish.

Also this week, I learned the word for "squirrel" in French (l’écureuil). I had assumed, based on their similarities in spelling/pronunciation, that the Swedish word (en ekorre) would have been borrowed from the French, but I was wrong. According to the Wiktionary pages for écureuil and for ekorre, the Swedish word came from Old Norse, it's not borrowed from French:
Wiktionary page for 'ekorre' wrote:From Old Swedish ikorne, ekorne, from Old Norse íkorni, from Proto-Germanic *aikwernô, ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *wer-.
Wiktionary page for 'écureuil' wrote:Inherited from Middle French escureul, escuirel, escurel, from Old French escurel from Late Latin *scūriolus, diminutive of *scūrius, variant of Classical Latin sciūrus, from Ancient Greek σκίουρος (skíouros).
Forvo pronunciation for 'ekorre'
Forvo pronunciation for 'écureuil'

Oh well that's all for this update. Thanks for reading and have a good weekend!
7 x

wallflower
White Belt
Swedish (Int.)

Postby wallflower » Mon May 06, 2024 3:16 am

The weekend went pretty well for languages. I won’t post today’s (Sunday’s) details because I might still do some tv watching with Swedish, but I can dump the details for Saturday.

05/04:
Swedish
  • Podcast: Talkshow i P1 “Sandra Beijer, studentprotester i USA & fina pennor” (episode from April 25; 00:44)
  • Podcast: Godmorgon världen “Barnens villkor i Gazakriget, Miljöpartiet får nytt språkrör och politisk turbulens i Spanien” (episode from April 28; 00:32)
  • Reading: Tills alla dör by Diamant Salihu (21 pages; ch. 6-8)
  • TV: I dina händer, episode 3 (00:45)
French
  • Assimil: lesson 34
Finnish
  • Finnish for Foreigners 1: chapter 7, p.40-41 (dialogue + one page of structural notes)

Finnish is another dabbling language. Unlike Norwegian, I get absolutely no discount from Swedish with this one. With chapter 7, plural/formal imperatives are introduced. Now I know what is going on in some of the Clozemaster sentences I see :P

I sidelined some housework yesterday and gained the time to do a full Assimil lesson for French. I am already reconsidering my 49/100 lessons commitment.

As I commented in my update from Friday, it is quite challenging to have two languages with goals going at the same time. It’s not so bad with one focus language, and then however many side languages (“dabbling”) as long as one doesn’t care about the pace. But when one of those side languages gets a goal attached to it, well now there’s competition for time, energy, “which one do I tackle first so as to make sure I get it done today,” etc.

Before the start of the month, French had been my clear priority and Swedish was sidelined, some days even lower down on the list than my dabbling languages. I wanted to "go for it" on the Assimil course and somewhat quickly get to a place where I could do other things with the language. Why was French so important? It is the language with the most false starts for me. For whatever reason, unfinished business, obligation, whatever, I keep going back to it (but I also keep quitting).

Now for the Swedish content: I’m experimenting with podcasts. Talkshow i P1 still feels the most comfortable for me, because it’s casual, everyday speech and doesn’t go too deeply into any one topic. I don’t get all of the slang, which there isn’t much of really, and I’m not lost by missing any of it either. However, venturing into some programs with a more formal tone, or even a more humorous tone, and it’s less comfortable. Even though I’ve got a few years down and several thousand pages read, I can see the massive hill I have yet to climb with this language. This is another reason French is frustrating me: the 30-60 minutes spent on French in a day could be spent furthering my knowledge of Swedish.

The Netflix series I dina händer is heavy going. It is kind of based on reality, but not telling any one specific course of events. The book I’m reading- Tills alla dör av Diamant Salihu, is on a similar theme and some of the events in the show share similarities to the real events described in the book. It is a frustrating, depressing, and tense watch, but I find myself craving the time in the evening I have planned to watch next episode.

Now. Tills alla dör. It’s my first nonfiction book in Swedish. It’s a different register than fiction, and because of that I am running into some grammar constructions and tricky word order that require pausing and rereading to parse, in addition to the new vocabulary related to the subject matter. And the subject matter, much like I dina händer, is really tough. Maybe I should have chosen a different book to read while I watched that series, but actually the two complement each other well: the series is the dramatisation, the book the reality.

I’m looking forward to the coming week and the effect the Super Challenge is having on my learning! Good luck to all my fellow SCers.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon May 06, 2024 5:28 pm

wallflower wrote:Now. Tills alla dör. It’s my first nonfiction book in Swedish. It’s a different register than fiction, and because of that I am running into some grammar constructions and tricky word order that require pausing and rereading to parse, in addition to the new vocabulary related to the subject matter. And the subject matter, much like I dina händer, is really tough. Maybe I should have chosen a different book to read while I watched that series, but actually the two complement each other well: the series is the dramatisation, the book the reality.

I don't know if you might have access to it, but there is a lättläst version of Tills alla dör (also as a lättläst e-book), from Vilja förlag (speaking with the professional library hat on ...).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

wallflower
White Belt
Swedish (Int.)

Postby wallflower » Tue May 07, 2024 4:00 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
wallflower wrote:Now. Tills alla dör. It’s my first nonfiction book in Swedish. It’s a different register than fiction, and because of that I am running into some grammar constructions and tricky word order that require pausing and rereading to parse, in addition to the new vocabulary related to the subject matter. And the subject matter, much like I dina händer, is really tough. Maybe I should have chosen a different book to read while I watched that series, but actually the two complement each other well: the series is the dramatisation, the book the reality.

I don't know if you might have access to it, but there is a lättläst version of Tills alla dör (also as a lättläst e-book), from Vilja förlag (speaking with the professional library hat on ...).

Thanks for that! But I think I’ll manage with the regular version, I’m not bothered by the challenge of occasional grammar I’m not used to seeing, and it is good exposure if/when I get into more reading of news and investigative journalism. Oh, and maybe you took it to mean “difficult to understand” when I said the subject matter is “really tough”? What I meant was that it’s an emotionally heavy book, depressing, you know? (Have you read it?) In any case, when it comes to Swedish, I enjoy a challenge, after all one only grows when one ventures outside of one’s comfort zone ;) Thanks again!
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue May 07, 2024 6:34 pm

wallflower wrote:Thanks for that! But I think I’ll manage with the regular version, I’m not bothered by the challenge of occasional grammar I’m not used to seeing, and it is good exposure if/when I get into more reading of news and investigative journalism. Oh, and maybe you took it to mean “difficult to understand” when I said the subject matter is “really tough”? What I meant was that it’s an emotionally heavy book, depressing, you know? (Have you read it?) In any case, when it comes to Swedish, I enjoy a challenge, after all one only grows when one ventures outside of one’s comfort zone ;) Thanks again!

Yeah, it was the part ”I am running into some grammar constructions and tricky word order that require pausing and rereading to parse” which sort of implied that the level was somewhat higher. (I haven't read the book, but probably should.)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

wallflower
White Belt
Swedish (Int.)

Postby wallflower » Wed May 08, 2024 10:51 pm

Question for anyone who knows French better than I do (most anybody who has spent longer than a couple of months learning French) and happens to be reading this post:

In Assimil French, 2020 version, lesson 37, page 169, it has the following:

Assimil French wrote:Je n’ai pas réussi à le joindre par téléphone, mais j’ai rempli le formulaire sur son site et j’ai fourni tous les renseignements nécessaires. Il m’a rappelée le lendemain et nous avons choisi plusieurs propriétés à visiter.

The English translation:
Assimil French wrote:I didn’t manage to get him on the phone, but I filled in the form on his site and I supplied all the necessary information. He called me back the next day and we chose several properties to visit.

My question: Should rappelée have that extra 'e' on the end? I thought this was passé composé and so it would not have that extra 'e', or..? (For context, the speaker is female, but she's describing actions performed by a male person.)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”