Severine's Super Challenge: French, Latin, Russian, and Mandarin

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20198

Severine's Super Challenge: French, Latin, Russian, and Mandarin

Postby Severine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:27 am

I've never participated in a super challenge before, nor kept a proper record of my reading/watching/listening habits, so this is a new experiment.

What am I attempting to do?

French: Double challenge (10,000 pages read and 18,000 minutes watched/listened to)
Latin: Full challenge (5,000 pages read and 9,000 minutes watched/listened to)
Russian: Half challenge (2,500 pages read and 4,500 minutes watched/listened to)
Mandarin: Half challenge (2,500 pages read and 4,500 minutes watched/listened to)

I may not succeed at all of these goals, but grand projects motivate and delight me, and I think it's better to aim for something ambitious and work hard to make it 90% or 80% or even 60% of the way there than to set a goal you know you're sure to hit and never push out of your comfort zone.

For those interested in the math, it's a total of 20,000 pages read and 36,000 minutes (or 600 hours) watched or listened to. Over 20 months, that averages to 1,000 pages read and 1,800 minutes (30 hours) watched or listened to per month. That is not beyond the realm of the possible: I would need to read ~34 pages and watch or listen to about an hour of content per day on average. That's perefectly reasonable most days, but I imagine it'll be the pace that gets me, since life is capable of generating many distractions over such a long period of time. We shall see!

I've made a spreadsheet to track everything (I love any pretext for a spreadsheet) and will aim to post frequent updates here with reflections on what I'm reading and watching, any interesting insights or discoveries, periodic data analysis, unnecessary but enjoyable tinkering with technical tools, and thoughts on how the challenge is helping my language skills to progress.

I should probably mention that, due to the time commitment of the challenge, I expect to do only the bare minimum with Spanish over the next 20 months; I'll continue to use it professionally, but I won't be actively working on improving. I'll be all but ignoring Italian and Ancient Greek, which is a bit funny considering I expect to be in Italy in the fall. And then there are the languages so neglected I don't even need to say I'll be neglecting them...but that's a matter for another challenge.

Notes on the four languages (also found in my challenge registration post):
  • French: The French language is a fixation of mine, and I already take in a huge amount of French content (books and podcasts, and series to a lesser extent), so this is more about tracking something I'm already doing than changing my habits. I have never tracked pages read or hours viewed before, so I'm keen to see the data.
  • Latin: I have a BAH in Latin and Ancient Greek language and literature, and once upon a time I left a PhD program in Latin philology to go to law school. I still read (and translate) Latin works for fun, but I haven't done as much of this in the past few years as I wish I had. I would like to work my way through my to-read list. Not yet sure how I'll tackle the films requirement, but I'll figure that out as I go.
  • Russian: A couple of years ago, I moved across the continent, and the resulting decreased exposure to my Russian-speaking in-laws is slowly undermining my previously serviceable Russian. My partner and I speak to each other in English; Russian is a heritage language for him and he only speaks it with his family. My main goal here is to keep in contact with the language and stop the degradation. Bonus points if it inspires my partner to get some exposure to Russian other than calling his mom, as he's worried he's going to lose it.
  • Mandarin: Mandarin is a delight, but I am still very much a beginner and have a long way to go. I am keeping it to a half challenge so that it feels less daunting. Even if I don't succeed numerically, any forward progress would be welcome.

And now, I have about a week to finish all the English-language books I'm currently reading!
16 x
French ..... Read : 0 / 10000 Watch : 0 / 18000
Latin ........ Read : 0 / 5000 Watch : 0 / 9000
Russian .... Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500
Mandarin .. Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500

Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)

Re: Severine's Super Challenge: French, Latin, Russian, and Mandarin

Postby Severine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 am

[I'm reserving this post to build a reference list of the resources I use, in case other people are interested in suggestions based on the things I read, watch, and listen to]
1 x

Severine
Yellow Belt

Postby Severine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 am

A bit of preparation for May 1, as I decide what I will put at the top of my reading and watch lists.

French
Reading: I'm about a third of the way through L'anomalie by Hervé Le Tellier, so I will put it aside while I finish up all my in-progress English reads before the challenge, and then finishing it will be my first reading task in French. Next, I will probably read Un hiver Antactique: seuls sur la planète blanche by Cyprien Verseux.
Audiovisual: My partner expressed interest in watching the 2023 Three Muskateers film adaptation, and since the sequel, Milady, just came out, I'll suggest those for a movie night. I also regularly watch or listen to a variety of shows and podcasts, including La grande librarie, the InPower podcast, L'histoire des francs et des mérovingiens, and many more, so expect to see an eclectic mix.

Latin
Reading: I'm going to begin with Cicero's four speeches against Catalina. I have a handy pocket volume that was part of the fairly large collection of texts given to me by my old advisor. For the curious: it is the Halm text (11th edition, Berlin, 1882). It'll be my first time reading the speeches in their entirety, although obviously I've read excerpts before.

Audiovisual: I don't have an existing repository of quality Latin audio (suggestions welcome!), but I found a channel on YouTube with the first two books of the Aeneid read aloud that seems, at first listen, of reasonable quality. Here is the first book. I'm sad they only offer the first two books, alas, but I'll start there and find more source material as I go.

Russian
Reading: I'm going to start by reading the famous Volkov adaptation of the first Wizard of Oz book, Волшебник Изумрудного города. This was one of my partner's favourite books as a kid, and I've been wanting to read it for that reason. To make it extra enticing, the copy I'm reading is the one he brought with him when his family fled the Soviet Union in 1989. The art is delightful:
Image Image Image
Audiovisual: I'm going to stick with the theme of Soviet childhood delights, and start out with Vinni Puh (Винни пух) and Hedgehog in the Fog (Ёжик в тумане).

Mandarin
Reading: Nothing too exciting here: I am going to work through some graded readers I have saved on LingQ. Still in the process of choosing which one to begin with.
Audiovisual: I am building up a nice collection of stories told in basic Mandarin on YouTube, such as this one and this one.

That should get me off to a rolling start! Suggestions are always appreciated, even if I don't end up using them, and comments are always welcome.
10 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm

For Latin audio, check out Legentibus. Daniel Pettersson's Latin pronunciation is excellent, and the app has a wealth of material, which helps to make up for the ongoing subscription fee.

I look forward to following your progress!
4 x
Ancient Greek SC 2024–25
reading : 1 / 100
listening : 1 / 100

Plato ἑλληνιστί by 31 Dec. 2025
: 14 / 100

Severine
Yellow Belt

Postby Severine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:38 pm

Herodotean wrote:For Latin audio, check out Legentibus. Daniel Pettersson's Latin pronunciation is excellent, and the app has a wealth of material, which helps to make up for the ongoing subscription fee.

I look forward to following your progress!

Oooh, now that you mention this, I think remember hearing about it a while back. I just took a look at the website, and it looks extremely promising. I will definitely do the three-day trial and test it out. If it's as good as it looks at first glance, I won't mind paying a subscription - if it saves me the time and effort of digging through online audio of varying quality, it'll be worth it. Plus I am always game to support well-designed educational tools, and I think paying for quality is better than a lot of ad-supported clickbait junk.

Thank you very much for the recommendation!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”