6 Months of German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
mitgedichte
Languages: English (N), Japanese (not bad not good), German (just getting started)

6 Months of German

Postby mitgedichte » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:52 am

Hello, everyone.

This thread is for me to document my 6 month journey of German learning. At this time, I don’t have a specific proficiency goal in mind (A2, B1, etc.), but rather I want to give myself a time-frame of dedicated study and see where it takes me.
I don’t intend to cease studying after the 6 months, but mentally blocking out that time period to get over the beginner’s slump feels fun to me.

Prior Exposure To German
My only real exposure to German has been through the occasional un-dubbed movie and music. I always loved how it sounded and wanted to learn, but didn’t really know how.

Possible Advantages
I’m a native English speaker. I have also spent the past several years (badly) learning Japanese off and on, but never made much real progress and consider myself a bad and inconsistent learner…

Plan
Step 0:

Step 1:
  • Study Assimil until lesson 50 via a version of this Anki deck that I am modifying to include lesson notes, full lesson dialogue audio, and review chapters. I don’t intend to do any shadowing.
  • Study the top 100 most common German verbs with this Anki deck.
Estimated completion: 2 months.
Take test to assess progress at end of step.

Step 2:
  • Continue Assimil passive phase for lessons 50-100 using same Anki deck described above.
  • Start active phase of Assimil once I reach lesson 50 of the passive phase, employ bidirectional translation method starting from lesson 1. Here’s a video on the method (explanation starts at 4:35).
Estimated completion: 2 months. Assimil active phase will persist into Step 3.
Take test to assess progress at end of step.

Step 3:
  • Continue Assimil active phase until lesson 100.
  • Start a bootleg version of the L-R method using English and German copies of books in lieu of parallel texts. Books I’m currently looking at using are some of Kafka’s writings - starting with The Metamorphosis - and Patrick Süskind’s Perfume. I’m open to others, but am particularly interested in texts originally written in German. I don’t intend to repeat pages, chapters, etc. on my way through the book. Instead, I will read through the book in its entirety once in German with German audio, again in English with German audio, and then repeat the process in either German or English until I feel I am at a comfortable level of comprehension. I may even just continue on to the next book without repeating more than twice since reading more from the same author is likely to include similar vocabulary and syntax.
Estimated completion: 2 months.
Take test to assess progress after completion of first book with relatively strong comprehension. Continue checking progress for fun at 40 hours, 60 hours, 80 hours, etc.

And that’s about it. I have experience using Assimil before, so I am confident in learning from that process. I’ve never tried the L-R method before, so I’m excited to see if I’ll get anything out of that. Reading others’ experiences was fun, and as I’m always looking for an excuse to read more books, I think it will be an easy method to stick to.
I don’t intend to read through any grammar books. I feel as though Assimil will cover enough, and anything that I really get stuck on later with L-R I will look up as needed. I don’t have any plans to sentence mine or add further to Anki decks.
I may make some effort to watch native German materials like movies or shows, but won’t be going out of my way to actively study anything outside of my described plan above.

In Search Of Recommendations
  • Books originally written in German
  • Poetry originally written in German
  • German movies (possibly shows, but I prefer films)
  • And on the off chance anyone has some point-and-click games in German to recommend…
9 x

mitgedichte
Languages: English (N), Japanese (not bad not good), German (just getting started)

Re: 6 Months of German

Postby mitgedichte » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:07 am

Reserving for future needs :P
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 am

mitgedichte wrote:In Search Of Recommendations
  • And on the off chance anyone has some point-and-click games in German to recommend…
One book I liked was Die Geschichte von Herrn Sommer. What I would recommend to myself, if I could go back in time, is to stick to parallel texts until I've exhausted the available supply. Penguin have a range of German-English books / German short stories.

Rilke often gets mentioned in German programmes, but I've not really read his poetry, I did read a short story collection Geschichten vom lieben Gott. Recently I've listened to some videos about Annette von Droste-Hülshoff, her most famous poem seems to be Der Knabe im Moor. Schubert set a lot of German poetry to music.

A film I liked was Balloon.
5 x

mitgedichte

Postby mitgedichte » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:41 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
mitgedichte wrote:In Search Of Recommendations
One book I liked was Die Geschichte von Herrn Sommer. What I would recommend to myself, if I could go back in time, is to stick to parallel texts until I've exhausted the available supply. Penguin have a range of German-English books / German short stories.

Rilke often gets mentioned in German programmes, but I've not really read his poetry, I did read a short story collection Geschichten vom lieben Gott. Recently I've listened to some videos about Annette von Droste-Hülshoff, her most famous poem seems to be Der Knabe im Moor. Schubert set a lot of German poetry to music.

A film I liked was Balloon.

Thank you for taking the time to share some exciting looking resources. I've acquired digital copies of some of the items you've linked, and am looking forward to perusing them once I get further into my Assimil lessons.

Not much to share on the progress front. Nearly completed with the first pass of the 100 most common German verbs, and continuing my daily Assimil lessons and reviews (I'm at lesson 15 now). I will hopefully have a more meaningful update soon :)
5 x

mitgedichte

Postby mitgedichte » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am

Step 1, Update 1

I've finished my first pass of the 100 most common verbs and am now just reviewing them as they come up.

Currently on lesson 23 of Assimil and finding it enjoyable so far. I don't feel like it has really kicked into gear difficulty-wise, but I'm sure that's just around the corner. I'm continuing to listen and review the lesson sentences via the Anki deck I linked in my first post. I've added full lesson audio to the deck so that I can listen to lessons in their entirety as review as well. As I've been studying, I've been hand typing in all of the lesson notes since none were present in the deck. I've done the same for each review lesson every 7 days.

I've started watching the Dark series on Netflix with German audio and English subtitles just for additional exposure to the sounds of the language. I'd say I can pick up a word here or there, but I'm not really aiming to gain any comprehension from it, just expose my ears to the sound and rhythm of speech.

Things will probably be quiet here until I hit lesson 50 of Assimil, since updates will probably just be the same ol' same ol' until then :D
6 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 pm

mitgedichte wrote:I've started watching the Dark series on Netflix with German audio and English subtitles just for additional exposure to the sounds of the language. I'd say I can pick up a word here or there, but I'm not really aiming to gain any comprehension from it, just expose my ears to the sound and rhythm of speech.
I listened to a video by a French YouTuber the other day, where she said early on in her (English?) learning she listened to audio books that she already knew, so she had an idea of what she should be hearing, a scaffold to cling onto.

You might like to try watching documentaries about topics where you already have an idea of the sort of things that the documentary should be saying. ARD and Arte are two resources that might help with that.
5 x

squirrel
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20183

Postby squirrel » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:14 am

mitgedichte wrote:
In Search Of Recommendations

One of my past German tutors recommended Deponia to me. I haven't played it yet, so I can't personally vouch for it, but I'm pretty sure he said it was point-and-click :)
1 x

mitgedichte

Postby mitgedichte » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 am

DaveAgain wrote:I listened to a video by a French YouTuber the other day, where she said early on in her (English?) learning she listened to audio books that she already knew, so she had an idea of what she should be hearing, a scaffold to cling onto.

You might like to try watching documentaries about topics where you already have an idea of the sort of things that the documentary should be saying. ARD and Arte are two resources that might help with that.

Thank you again for the helpful response and resources to check out. I've been lost down a rabbit hole of videos on that channel for too long now.

I've recently read The Metamorphosis in English, so when I get to that stage it will be something I'm familiar with. I've also found a parallel text version of the book here that I may give a try, though I think I'd prefer to do my L-R in a comfortable chair with a physical book.

squirrel wrote:One of my past German tutors recommended Deponia to me. I haven't played it yet, so I can't personally vouch for it, but I'm pretty sure he said it was point-and-click :)

I'll check this out, thank you! Lucky me, it's 80% off right now.

Step 1, Update 2

As far as updates are concerned, I've reached lesson 30 of Assimil and things are picking up in difficulty for me. I'm definitely slowing down on each lesson now. Nowhere to go but onward :D I'm afraid I haven't been diligent in tracking my time spent on studies each day, but my typical routine consists of reviewing the 100 most common German verbs, reviewing previously learned Assimil lessons, going through new daily Assimil lesson, and manually adding lesson notes to my Anki deck to be reviewed later.

I've found a library copy of a book titled Twenty German Poets put together by Walter Kaufmann that is a series of German poems presented in parallel text. I've also found a copy of The Cantatas of J.S. Bach by Alfred Dürr which is presented in a similar fashion along with some annotations and notes. Then of course, Penguin Books' German Short Stories edited by Richard Newnham. Not sure at what stage I'll be adding these to my routine, but they all interest and excite me greatly.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read any of this little thread, and best of luck in your own studies.
7 x

mitgedichte

Postby mitgedichte » Tue May 07, 2024 7:58 am

Step 1, Update 3

Well, I've reached lesson 40 in Assimil. I've continued my daily reviews of older lessons as well.
Overall, I must say that I don't understand the majority of the grammar explanations in the lesson notes at all, but I can comprehend nearly every sentence of every lesson so far, so I'm not sweating it too much. The sentences make sense when I hear/read them, but I don't think at this time I'd have any hope of producing any sentences of my own. I'm interested in seeing how the active phase of Assimil goes when I start it week after next.

Not much of an update, I know. See you all again in 10 days :lol:
2 x

Return to “Language logs”