L, Simon's Casual Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
L, Simon
White Belt
Languages: *Dialectal variants ignored*
Native: Chinese.
Advanced: English, Japanese.
Beginner: French, German, Korean.
On the way: Russian, Arabic, Tibetan, (probably) Hungarian, (also probably) Turkish.
*May dabble in other languages unregularly*
Researches & Studies: Dia- and synchronic linguistics(, hence the multiple-language-learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19911

L, Simon's Casual Log

Postby L, Simon » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:55 pm

Suddenly I feel like keeping a regular casual log, partly functioning as a home page for more possible future logs, partly as a motivational reminder for me to stop being lazy and do something productive.

My other logs

Chinese Language Explained

Every year, my mind goes off since Christmas Eve and never restores until a week after Spring Festival: this is my version of new year holiday. This year, my new year resolution for languages is basics in Latin and Greek and fluency in French and German.

I find it necessary to study IE if I wish to study historical linguistics better, so Latin and Greek are added to the list. However, it is hard to find phonological input for ancient languages, and all I can do is reading. I have learnt basic Latin grammars and started Julius Caesar's De Bello Gallico, macron-ed edition, but has only finished Chapter 1, Book 1. Not much is learnt about Greek yet, except for some comparison studies between declensions of Latin and Greek. Greek verbs appears much peculiar to me, and I suppose it is going to take me a lot of time.
I have also try a little Russian, but Slavic is even more alien to me, so I guess I would not be touch it for the moment being. I will have to approach PIE through Hellenic, Italic and Germanic, then.

Anyway, I shall (hopefully) record my progress here regularly.
10 x

L, Simon
White Belt
On the way: Russian, Arabic, Tibetan, (probably) Hungarian, (also probably) Turkish.
Researches & Studies: Dia- and synchronic linguistics(, hence the multiple-language-learning).

Re: L, Simon's Casual Log

Postby L, Simon » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:00 pm

It's Lunar New Year! (UTC+8)
HAPPY HOLIDAY!
1 x

L, Simon
White Belt

Re: L, Simon's Casual Log

Postby L, Simon » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 pm

(Not so much) monthly report.

Since I have decided to seriously study historical linguistics, I started PIE and has been working on Handbook of Comparative and Historical Indo-European Linguistics by de Guyter. It is a wonderful handbook and I have definitely learnt a lot ever since I started reading it.

I have been taking notes in a MS Word document, and so far I have learnt about PIE's phonology, prosody, many sound laws, nominal and pronominal morphology. I plan to finish verb morphology and morphophonology soon, but I am not sure if I should read syntax carefully.

I am having trouble finding a good PIE lexicon in rather up-to-date post Laryngeal Theory forms except for Wiktionary, while many database do have the full Pokorny lexicon.

As for my career life, I am going to start my graduate study on neuroscience since September this year, and apparently it takes at least 5 years to get my PhD. I have clearly expressed my interest in neurolinguistics, and I strongly wish I can do some related researches in this field instead of pure biological study.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”