Zac29's Spanish Platiquemos FSI log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zac299
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (Beginner)

Re: Zac29's Spanish Platiquemos FSI log

Postby zac299 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:10 am

emk wrote:But if one day, you're like, "I just wanna read this book", then absolutely go for it. But never hesitate to "cheat" and artificially boost your understanding. The easiest adult books are usually either ones you've read several times in English, or ones which have simple and clear prose (or highly repetititve 19th century prose with lots of Latin cognates), or ones where you have easy access to a fast popup dictionary. When working with native media around B1, it's going to be a bit hit or miss. A good chunk of stuff will still be out of reach. So depending on how good your "cheating" skills and tools are, you'll generally need to try a few things until you find something that you can get into.

I've got a few in mind that could work for this. I'll go digging around for them. Good idea!

emk wrote:I did not, but mostly because acquiring a French audiobook in the United States without resorting to piracy was a whole project. But the idea you propose is also sometimes known as "Listening/Reading", and lots of people have been very happy and successful using it. And especially if you've already read the book before in English a couple of times, then being forced to "move along" is fine. That will mostly force you to focus on consolidating stuff that's already mostly within reach, and to skip over harder stuff. But as long as you're enjoying yourself and more-or-less following the plot, you'll get something out of it.

Like I said, as long as you're presenting your brain with lots of (language, meaning) pairs, then your brain is basically going build a model that maps language to meaning. This is a "field expedient" process designed to be successfuly operated by 3-year-olds, who are famous for not reading any instructions, and for doing things like sticking peanut butter sandwiches in the VCR because it "looked hungry." The language learning process is therefore very robust in the face of "user error." What you bring to the table as an adult is a slightly creaky version of the language learning machinery, plus a level of sheer cunning and life experience that allow you to make up for any weaknesses.

This is why I talk about "cheating", and it's the point behind half the whacky experiments in my log. Anything you can do match up Spanish audio or text with understandable meaning seems to speed the process along. And it's a self-reinforcing process, once it gets rolling.

I was also wondering if you ever had a period where you'd read your french books out loud as a way to force a lot more pronunciation practice?

It seems to slow down my spanish reading, but I think it's at the expense of both artificially adding to pronunciation practice and slowing myself down to fully grasp the meaning of each sentence, paragraph and page I read.

By the way, that 3 year old feeding the hungry-looking VHS player metaphor sounds a taaad too descriptive to be made up... You didn't happen to have a 3 year old at one stage, did you? :lol:

emk wrote:I am really looking forward to Radio Ambulente. That very clear radio voice, plus those bilingual transcripts. So many ways to use that! And yeah, the first time I listened to it, I also immediately thought of "listening like a bloodhound."

Not only is the audio fairly comfortable to listen to, the stories are quite an interestingly random disbursement of topics.

I'm starting to find that language study is already helping open interests in topics I'd normally not pay any attention to in English.

emk wrote:Also, you might get a kick out of this report from a recent student in the current FSI Spanish program. Apparently the FSI is trying a more "content-based" format for this particular group than they've used in the past. But it's just as intense, and just as successful as always. I particularly vibe with her description of a process based largely on input (and later, class discussions), combined with a small amount of focused grammar study. But the neighboring FSI French students did more traditional grammar work, and they turned out just fine, too.

It's great you came across that post.

When I first finished going through all of James29's logs, I remember doing a lot of google around for more info on FSI and the courses in general. I've read that particular article a number of times and enjoyed the recent reflections on the updated FSI in-school courses.

It always amused me that they talk about such little grammar study though. From what I'm seeing in platiquemos, there's a bunch of it and I think it's super-important.

I think James used to use the metaphor of grammar study being like building your bookshelf properly, piece by piece, so later on you can safely and comfortably rest all your books for the rest of eternity on it.

In fact, that's half the reason I'm thinking of picking up the B level of gramatica del uso within the next month or so and beginning with it. James said he started the book when he was a decent B2 and wished he'd started much earlier.

What does concern me a little in that reddit post is just how much praise the OP gives to her anki usage. I said earlier in this log I know I'd struggle to sit down and just review cards like that, but now I"m thinking I should force myself to give it a shot for a while. Especially after seeing your log and how highly you speak of your memory recall after about 20-30 days of a "mature card" (I hope I got all that right).

emk wrote:I think this all supports the idea that humans are built to learn languages. Toddlers do things the hard way, because they're in full immersion and they have no choice. (In fact, if toddlers can avoid learning a language, they will usually do so.) And sure, adults are worse at some things, particularly accents. And we're not often in 24/7 do-or-die immersion. But adults have tons of advantages, too. And in an absolute sense, we still learn languages weirdly fast. Yes, the 5,000 pages of the Super Challenge can be overwhelming while it's underway. But it's enough to rebuild a significant fraction of your fluent adult reading skills in a Romance language. As my son points out, there are popular fantasy series longer than that!

Absolutely. And in fact one of the fairly recent Radio Ambulante episodes was kind of about this, touching on the topic pretty nicely.

I'm sure between the spanish and the english transcript you'd probably enjoy that particular episode, emk. Would you like me to go for a big and find exactly which one it was?

Actually in fact I just listened to the whole episode this morning so the title is fresh in my head.

It's this one if you're interested:
https://radioambulante.org/audio/un-superpoder

--------------------------------

Updates:

I'm 3 runs through unit 30 of platiquemos. I'll finish it this week and then just do my own review for the next 2 or 3 days. That way I'll start unit 31 fresh next monday and be back on a more stable "schedule" of how I typically study this course.

I'd say I've really upped my average per/day podcast listening in the last week or so. There's been a lot of European football, so I've been waking up watching the replays straight away. This means I've done about 60 minutes of listening to the News in slow spanish, then the rest of the match I listen to radio ambulante.

I'm up to page 105 of my book.

I'm up to episode 61 of Escobar. Today I'll finish translating the first episode in full, so I'll give it a good study-session with the corresponding episode this week as well.

I spent about 20 minute speaking with a Mexican. Their spanish really is so much more comprehensible. It makes 100x difference between speaking with her and for example my argentinian friends.

But also, I think the speed of radio ambulante is already paying off. I've only started listening to it for about a week, but I seemed to grasp everything the Mexican was saying to me. At least, I was catching everything I could catch (As in, knew the words/phrases).
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:46 am

zac299 wrote:I was also wondering if you ever had a period where you'd read your french books out loud as a way to force a lot more pronunciation practice?

Alexander Arguelles, an excellent polyglot, has a whole method based around "shadowing" while doing Listening/Reading, where he echoes sounds that he is hearing, and he swears by it. And since he's conversational in 20+ languages, I'm not going to argue with him! I can't shadow though, because I can't hook my ears to my mouth like that. Some learning techniques fail for some people because they can't do a specific trick.

But for me, one of my big goals in reading is running up that volume. Whatever else I sometimes use reading for, a big chunk of my reading is basically full speed ahead as soon as I can.

By the way, that 3 year old feeding the hungry-looking VHS player metaphor sounds a taaad too descriptive to be made up... You didn't happen to have a 3 year old at one stage, did you? :lol:

Neither of our kids actually did that. :lol: But yes, I am familiar with 3 year olds.

It always amused me that they talk about such little grammar study though. From what I'm seeing in platiquemos, there's a bunch of it and I think it's super-important.

Grammar is one of those things that's weirdly variable for different language learners. Time spent learning and practicing grammar can certainly be very productive! But if other people have easy access to speaking opportunities, and to someone who will correct their writing, then they can by with far less explicit grammar study.

So if what you're doing feels right, keep doing it. My whole philosophy of language learning is to only take advice from people who succeed. :lol: But successful learners are all over the map on the question of how much grammar study and when.

I do my grammar "study" partly invisibly, while I'm reading or listening. But I literally write parsers, and so it's natural for me think in parse trees and syntactic patterns. I prefer to delay my grammar study until I've already internalized 80% of a rule through osmosis. But Iversen prefers to write a "green sheet" out by hand with a summary of all a language's core grammar. And other very successful learners really enjoy FSI drills and grammar workbooks.

What does concern me a little in that reddit post is just how much praise the OP gives to her anki usage. I said earlier in this log I know I'd struggle to sit down and just review cards like that, but now I"m thinking I should force myself to give it a shot for a while. Especially after seeing your log and how highly you speak of your memory recall after about 20-30 days of a "mature card" (I hope I got all that right).

Anki is another one of those things where successful learners are all over the map. One common way to use Anki is to just go ahead and drill a bunch of common vocabulary. Not my thing, really, but it works well for some people.

I use Anki for several things:

• Primarily, I use Anki as a collection of interesting content that I'd like to review periodically. This includes useful vocab in context, surprising grammatical structures, and neat ways of phrasing things. I have non-standard tools to make it very easy to make these cards. Mostly these cards are impossible to "fail".
  • I very occasionally use Anki for brute force memorization, like learning verb forms.
  • For Spanish, I am specifically doing an experiment to see if I can start out by focusing almost 100% on listening, to see if I arrive at A2 with listening as my strongest skill instead of my weakest. Sprachprofi tried this before me, and I'm basically trying to replicate her results.
But Anki isn't necessary. Lots of amazing polyglots have never touched it. And used poorly, Anki can become an exquisitely horrible torture device. For me, it's my way of saying, "I've got 5 minutes to kill. Let's look at some interesting specimens of Spanish that I noticed in cool media." It's fun. Admittedly, it can also be a workout.

It's this one if you're interested:
https://radioambulante.org/audio/un-superpoder

Oh, thanks! That looks super interesting!
5 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:13 am

emk wrote:Alexander Arguelles, an excellent polyglot, has a whole method based around "shadowing" while doing Listening/Reading, where he echoes sounds that he is hearing, and he swears by it. And since he's conversational in 20+ languages, I'm not going to argue with him! I can't shadow though, because I can't hook my ears to my mouth like that. Some learning techniques fail for some people because they can't do a specific trick.

But for me, one of my big goals in reading is running up that volume. Whatever else I sometimes use reading for, a big chunk of my reading is basically full speed ahead as soon as I can.

That's insane. No way you'd be able to read, listen and shadow it all at the same time. Seems super-human-esque to me.

emk wrote:I use Anki for several things:

• Primarily, I use Anki as a collection of interesting content that I'd like to review periodically. This includes useful vocab in context, surprising grammatical structures, and neat ways of phrasing things. I have non-standard tools to make it very easy to make these cards. Mostly these cards are impossible to "fail".
  • I very occasionally use Anki for brute force memorization, like learning verb forms.
  • For Spanish, I am specifically doing an experiment to see if I can start out by focusing almost 100% on listening, to see if I arrive at A2 with listening as my strongest skill instead of my weakest. Sprachprofi tried this before me, and I'm basically trying to replicate her results.
But Anki isn't necessary. Lots of amazing polyglots have never touched it. And used poorly, Anki can become an exquisitely horrible torture device. For me, it's my way of saying, "I've got 5 minutes to kill. Let's look at some interesting specimens of Spanish that I noticed in cool media." It's fun. Admittedly, it can also be a workout.

Thanks, it's interesting to see how you've been using it.

I'm going to go with my idea of writing all my new words into sentences/paragraphs, getting my friends to correct it, then record themselves speaking it as my own mini-podcasts... And see how that goes for vocab internalisation for few months.

If it ain't a-workin', maybe I'll return to the anki idea.

On last question which might be more difficult to actually remember or put into numbers:

Do you remember at roughly what stages your reading speed started to increase, as you read?

By that I mean:

Right now let's say I'm getting through 7 pages per hour because of stopping and researching words, etc...

By the time I've read 1000 pages, should I be expecting this to get up to 14 pages per hours?

I remember you saying by the time you finished your reading super-challenge, you could sit down and read french books at 40 pages per hour with maybe 1 opaque word every 3 or 4 pages...

Basically, could you give any kind of timeline for the increase in reading speed along the way?

Again, highly subjective, personal and level-dependent... So if the answer is "no way can I answer that", it's totally fine as well.

This is more for my own personal interest-sake.
2 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:20 am

Updates:

I've finished unit 30 of platiquemos and started unit 31.

The podcast listening moves forward. I took a 4 day long weekend coinciding with Australia's ANZAC day (Remembering our war heroes). So, when I went for a few bush hikes, I listened to extra podcasts and radio ambulante episodes. I've decided I"m going to start tracking my podcast listening time. For ease I'm going to call each News in slow Spanish episode 20 minutes (Even though most are a few minutes longer) and each Radio Ambulante episode 45 minutes.

I finished my 2nd book! 130ish pages not including titles, indexes, chapters etc. Yep, only a B1 grader, but still a cool feeling none the less!

I've already got a sh$ttonne more B1 and B2 graded readers lined up and on the kindle. My initial plan in 1 more B1 book and then move onto a few B2 books before "graduating" to normal books. But I'll give myself permission to readjust course as I reach each of those mini milestones if I see fit.

I'm up to episode 63 of Pablo Escobar. Sadly I didn't get around to finishing the episode transcription last week. It's going to get done this week, for sure.

I've also found the full spanish-dub version of the sitcom Two and a Half men. It's the only show I've watched multiple times through and know pretty damn well. So, I'm taking some of the fantastic advice shared by generous members in this log and going to use this as a nice way to cheat my way to some extra understanding!

I've decided to solely listen to the episodes. No spanish subtitles. I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it a lot. This time I'd say 30% to 35% understanding would actually be a fair statement for pure listening!

I've also written an extra 1.5 pages of sentences/paragraphs using new words I've written down from the books I've read. This is going to spiral into too much of a project to keep on top of if I don't seriously sit down and keep on writing until I've caught up. So I think I'm going to lend priority to this little project for the next few days before I start on my next B1 book.

When I've finished writing all that stuff, I'll get it typed up and shared in this log as well for the laughs.

## Edit ##

Forgot to mention I've picked up a Gramatica de uso del espanol B levels book. It looks like a lot of fun. Now I just need to find a pencil and eraser :?
6 x

Return to “Language logs”