Zac29's Spanish Platiquemos FSI log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zac299
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (Beginner)

Re: Zac29's Spanish Platiquemos FSI log

Postby zac299 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:24 am

stell wrote:Radio Ambulante isn’t close to native speed…it IS native speed! While the podcasts are a phenomenal resource for Spanish learners, with full transcripts, the episodes themselves aren’t aimed specifically at learners. Large parts of them are scripted and read, so they’ll be easier to understand than a natural unscripted conversation, but they’re not simplified or slowed down for second language learners.

I love Radio Ambulante. Enjoy!

Thank you stell for letting me know. That's great to hear.

Cheers!

emk wrote:
Yeah, Platiquemos is based on FSI. And FSI is hard core.

I've often argued, "Never take language-learning advice from people who haven't learned a second language to fluency." But FSI and DLI teach languages at industrial scale, and failure is not acceptable. "Hey, we're going to need another 500 Arabic speakers in the next three years. Can you give me a budget and timelines?" And they've been doing this successfully for decades. Their advice, when they give it publicly, is very much worth listening to.

However, these programs are happy to have 5 hours of class and 4 hours of homework a day. And according to the blog of one FSI student, there were some students who broke down in tears on an almost daily basis. And if you wash out, you'll get sent back to your old boss with a letter implying, "Sorry, they just couldn't cut it." Plus, I don't think you can even get into FSI or DSI without minimum test scores on linguistic aptitude tests. So, yeah, it's normal to feel like an FSI course is drowning you in things you need to learn right now. After all, it's the same teaching philosophy that produces Marine Corps drill instructors. As Rudyard Kipling wrote about boot camp:

Yeah, I'd seen so many comments about these courses and of course read James29's log thoughts as he progressed through the program that I was certainly at least mentally prepared for the challenge.

And I"m always going to be super excited about it. I think that marine style drilling and relentlessness is absolutely my style for most things in life.

By the way, that was a great Kipling poem you shared!

emk wrote:
Oooh, you're at the fun part. Keep doing this stuff, and your progress will snowball. The next few months will make a dramatic difference. And a couple of years from now, you'll be able to read anything you want in Spanish, you'll be following multiple TV series, and (if you get enough speaking practice) you'll take your ability to speak for granted. I've seen it happen in dozens of language logs here on this form. There are current posters who now have multiple languages in the C1+ range that I remember being exactly where you are now.

You're at the part where the scary ancient language learning machinery in your brain wakes up and says let's do this, we're the top species on this planet for a reason. We can talk. As an adult, that machinery might be slightly rusty, and in need of an oil change. But it's still there, and it can still work remarkably fast. (The accent module, however, typically gets gummed up between ages 6 and 12. And the "gender agreement" module may only run at 97% of original specs. So you'll probably need to help things along a bit. And you still would even if you were totally immersed.)

Thanks emk again...

I really do appreciate your detailed posts and just general inspiration you share not just here but in other places around the forum I've noticed.

One can really sense your passion on all these topics and it really shines through.

I want to say reading all this, especially the ancient language learning machine in our brains part, really lit a motivational fire under my ass...

But that fire was already lit and burning strong. So, let's say you just poured another few gallons of gasoline on the fire.

Thanks once again

---------

Updates:

Well, thankfully the most stressful and deadline-ridden part of my works projects has ended. This means I'll be able to get back to Platiquemos in the next 2 days I'd say.

I also think I'll be able to start studying the transcripts from Thursday onwards.

I'm on episode 52 of Pablo Escobar.

And while my weekend was super busy as well, I've made the goal to at least do some spanish every single day. I think it was literally 10 or 15 minutes worth of podcast listening both mornings, but it got done.

I think I'm up to page 55 of the book as well.
4 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:56 am

Updates:

I did 1 run through unit 27 of platiquemos this week.

From tomorrow onwards, I'll be back to "normal" and have enough time to do it daily.

I didn't watch a single Pablo Escobar episode. But for sure this week I will be able to sit down and begin studying / using the transcripts I created.

I've been listening to the podcasts each morning. I'd say on my 'worst' days, I get 30 minutes of listening in, which I'm happy with. Though usually it's an hour or more.

I had about 30 minutes of conversation with an Argentinian and on/off around 8 hours with a Colombian, so that was great.

Finally, I've really taken to reading. I'll be up to page 85 by the end of today.

Some users were kind enough to give me some advice and explain their processes when it comes to reading and building their comprehension in a different thread.

I'm really, really glad I decided to start with graded readers. I couldn't imagine the pain of a constant stop/start process if I'd jumped into a native book.

I'll do a review of my overall thoughts when I've finished the book, hopefully by the next journal update. But I'm thinking of doing a 2nd run through this same book with a big list of the exact words I didn't know, sitting infront of me, studied a few times before re-reading...

My theory is that a 100 page book that's A2 graded will expose me to 80-90% of the overall language you'd expect to come across at an A2 level.

So, why not give it 1 more run through and just try and get really good at what's been thrown at me thus far?

Afterwards, I'll then make the decision between doing it 1 more time with a second A2 graded book... Or to just move onto a B1 graded book and repeat the process again.

Decision decision and boy am I having a lot of fun making them!

A Final Aside:

I'm thinking of taking Chmury's advice and starting to do some concentrated writing. What I think would be particularly useful is to pick a handful of words I've learned from my book, then making a sentence using them. Then, repeating this process until I've written a few paragraphs/pages that uses all the new words I've learned.

Then, I'll find a friend who wants some pocket money to read it, correct it, then record themselves reading the paragraphs for me. That way, just as I listen to podcasts each day, I could listen to 5 or 10 minutes of audio of my friend reading sentences/paragraphs of all the new words I've learned.
6 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:06 am

Updates:

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. I went spearfishing a few times and saw my first shark swimming around me. The bugger followed me, on and off, for about 20 minutes. One evening I invited friends from argentina, ecuador and chile to my place. With my family we were 7 in total eating fresh seafood straight from the ocean that day.

I've finished unit 27 of Platiquemos.

But, more excitingly... I finished my first Spanish book! Ok, sure, minus intros, outros and advertisements, it was 90 pages of A2 writing, but it felt great.

I decided to jump straight into a B1 level book instead of re-reading the A2 book. Once again, I'm glad I did. I'm already perceiving my reading speed to be faster. I'm 30 pages into this book which is 134 pages I believe. I'm sure I'll hit my 1000 page goal for this year very early (I'm very much enjoying reading) and will probably have to extend the ambition of that goal within the next 3-6 months.

I'm still thinking my idea from the previous post, writing sentences with all the new word I encounter in the books, get them corrected and get a friend to record themselves reading them for me to listen to, will be a winner. I'll organise that in the coming 2 weeks.

I'm up to episode 54 of Pablo Escobar. But this week I'm determined to sit down and finally do my first proper study/translate/read-along with the first of 3 transcripts I've already made.

What else? I'm still getting about 40 minutes of podcast listening in each day.

Though I'm sad to admit that over Easter there was 1 day I didn't do a single thing in spanish. That's the first one since this log. For my personal interest I'm going to keep that on record here and update it each time it (Possibly and lamentably) happens in the future.
7 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:09 pm

Updates:

I've finished unit 28 of Platiquemos. Starting 29 tomorrow.

I'm up to page 45, i think, of the book. It's been a real pleasure jumping into this one. It's really, really building up my automaticity of understanding the past tenses and grasping the meaning immediately. This is starting to translate into dividends in my listening.

Speaking of listening, the podcasts continue. I'd say 40 minutes per day is a fair minimum number. I really should keep measurements because the most sure-fire way to improve at anything, without any other changes such as increasing your skills, etc, is to simply begin measuring your performance.

I've still got those 3 radio ambulante podcasts and transcripts sitting there. What I'm going to do is split each 40 minute episode into 10 minute segments and start listening to them 10 minutes at a time. Then, I'll go through the transcripts a few times, understand it, then start reading along with the transcripts as I listen. Probably first in english, then in spanish to force myself to hear every word.

When I Finish posting this update, I'm going to watch another episode of Pablo Escobar. By the end of tonight, I"ll have finished episode 56.

I'm happy to say I've started on the transcripts for the 3 pablo escobar episodes as well. It is taking a long time to wade my way through them and make translations for the parts I don't know. Especially because it's so colloquial. There's phrases and sentences I've gotta google around for just to get a proper translation. Heck, there's been 1 or 2 parts not even googling has given me any answers. But I've picked up some cool phrases from this already. Can't wait to finish the 3 transcripts and go back to these episodes to watch/study/read along all at once.

This week I'm committed to sitting down and starting to write some sentences and paragraphs using all the new words from the books I've been reading. I really think this will be a useful way to make more of the vocab stick, quicker.
7 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 am

Updates:

I was a bit sick last week, so I missed a day or two of platiquemos. I just finished unit 29 today.

I'll start unit 30 tomorrow. I also forgot to mention last week that finishing unit 28 officially put me past the half-way mark. That was a cool little milestone, especially considering how much of the language it has already introduced up to this point.

I"m up to episode 58 of Escobar. I've almost finished working on the first transcript, so I'll probably go back to episode 50 this week and start watching/reading along with this.

I'm up to page 85 of my book.

I've also started writing out sentences and paragraphs using all the news I've taken from my books thus-far. I've done 2 full pages and estimate it'll take another 3 or 4 to catch up on all the new words. It's been a lot of fun. I think I'll post my silly writings here in my log on the off chance anyone wants to laugh along.

In saying that, when it's done, I'll send it to a friend for corrections and to get them to record themselves reading everything for me. I'll give this test a shot for a while and see if it helps make more of the vocab stick.

Mmmm, the podcast listening continues. I've broken the 3 radio ambulate episodes up into 10 minute segments and have started listening to these as well.

I tend to do about 45 minutes with the Advanced podcasts from news in slow spanish. My native friends tell me they'd rate them as a 5 or 6/10 for native-speed. But it is nice to be understanding large swathes of these podcasts. Each run through I"m picking up on more details I didn't notice the previous time through. I'd say I'm getting around 75% of these podcast episodes nowadays.

As for the radio ambulente, I'm trying to decide between 2 methods of listening. Should I:

A) try and understand every part that I can, naturally. Even if it means "pausing" in my mind to think about what was said, working it out, then realising I've then missed the next 5 or 10 seconds of audio because I wasn't concentrating

Or...

B) throw "understanding" out the window for a while and simply focus on hearing each syllable and word as they come, to practice listening at a native speed... In preparation for when I can understand most of the words being used.

Emk: If you're happen to read this...

Regarding your episode transcript idea, would you mind elaborating on how you used them for your own study?

I've been working my way through them to translate whatever I didn't understand into english. But should I be translating the whole thing? While there's significant portions I can understand while I read them... I'm sure when I start watching the corresponding episode at its normal pace, there'll be parts I "understand" but still miss because sometimes it moves too fast.

Would you explain a bit more about how you went about actually using your transcripts for your study purpose?
3 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 pm

zac299 wrote:Emk: If you're happen to read this...

Warning! Giant wall of text ahead! Run now!

zac299 wrote:I'm up to page 45, i think, of the book. It's been a real pleasure jumping into this one. It's really, really building up my automaticity of understanding the past tenses and grasping the meaning immediately. This is starting to translate into dividends in my listening.

This is a really good sign! You're reading an interesting book, you're getting in some real volume, and it's increasing the number of things you recognize automatically. That's exactly what you want to have happening.

To answer your other questions, let me grab a copy of my favorite diagram. :lol:

This is my personal mental framework. I break content into three categories:

1. Opaque. This is just a wall incomprehensible content, and staring at it doesn't yield much information.
  2. Decipherable. Here, you can theoretically understand the content, but you need to actively work at it.
  3. Automatic. You hear it (or read it) and you just understand it.
To get from (a) to (b), you can use almost any trick you can imagine. This is why I labelled it "cheating", to encourage myself to think deviously and creatively! To get from (b) to (c), your best tools are sheer volume and repetition. This is where running up the page count or the episode count really pays off. It's exactly what you're describing with your "automaticity of understanding the past tenses."

In practice, all of this is going on at once. Parts of a given page or episode will be opaque, others will be decipherable, and some will be transparent. The transparent bits will help make other parts decipherable. But you are also using outside knowledge, the action you're seeing on the screen, and even things you look up.

This explains what's going on with my bilingual book, and my sentence flash cards. I'm in the weird position of being able to decipher quite a lot in the context of the book. But when I rip a sentence out and put it on a flashcard, I'm losing too much context (relative to my actual language skills). And those sentences get a lot harder. So I'm going to rewrite my card-creating script to add more context.

And one final important thing to understand: Because consolidation requires so much sheer volume, your minute-to-minute approach can be pretty flexible. For me, it took about 20 real books and probably 200 hours of television before I looked at a C2 reading exam and I was like, "That's it? They just want me to read that little passage and answer some questions? So what do I do with the rest of the time?" But once you're talking about that kind of volume, it's OK to miss some stuff—you're going to get another chance later, when it's a bit more in reach.

So the classic approach is to mix "intensive" reading and watching with "extensive" versions. Sometimes you'll pick a page, or an episode, or a chapter, and you'll try to "zoom in". You can look up more-or-less everything interesting. Learn surprising new facts. But a lot of the time, you want focus on the stuff you can decipher without too much work, and just keep going until it becomes second nature. It's OK to let the opaque stuff go a lot of the time. Because the more decipherable stuff you make automatic, the more the opaque stuff will become decipherable. And you can adjust the mix of intensive and extensive as needed.

But one of the key insights I've seen from looking at years of logs, is that people who don't do any extensive reading or watching tend to get stuck around A2 or B1. They may get really good at deciphering text, but they don't build the automaticity. And to step onto theoretically controversial ground :lol:, there is a part of your brain which is meant to learn languages. It's trying to build a "model" of how everything fits together. But that automatic, subconscious part needs a certain minimum amount of content to do its work. And it needs some way to match up the content and the meaning—not 100% of the time, but at least enough to gain a beachhead and expand.

And when you think of it that way, "20 adult books to reach C1/C2 reading" is a low, low price. From the end where you're standing now, yeah, that seems like a lot. But as you go, the process snowballs as you consolidate more and more. I remember the first time I sat down and read an 80,000-word French book in a single day. Totally mind-blowing.

zac299 wrote:I'm happy to say I've started on the transcripts for the 3 pablo escobar episodes as well. It is taking a long time to wade my way through them and make translations for the parts I don't know. Especially because it's so colloquial. There's phrases and sentences I've gotta google around for just to get a proper translation. Heck, there's been 1 or 2 parts not even googling has given me any answers. But I've picked up some cool phrases from this already. Can't wait to finish the 3 transcripts and go back to these episodes to watch/study/read along all at once.

Again, this is just perfect. You've watched a ton of episodes of Pablo Escobar, so you're definitely getting in your "consolidation." But you've also picked out a couple of them and dug deeper, and you learned a bunch of interesting stuff. All the new stuff you've deciphered is now eligible for future consolidation.

zac299 wrote:I've also started writing out sentences and paragraphs using all the news I've taken from my books thus-far. I've done 2 full pages and estimate it'll take another 3 or 4 to catch up on all the new words. It's been a lot of fun. I think I'll post my silly writings here in my log on the off chance anyone wants to laugh along.

In saying that, when it's done, I'll send it to a friend for corrections and to get them to record themselves reading everything for me. I'll give this test a shot for a while and see if it helps make more of the vocab stick.

This kind of writing exercise can be great. Once I threw myself in the deep and started speaking French with my wife at home, there was a period of 30 days where I consistently wrote 50–100 words, and got them corrected. In my case, I often focused on writing things I'd wanted to talk about, but hadn't been ready for.

zac299 wrote:I tend to do about 45 minutes with the Advanced podcasts from news in slow spanish. My native friends tell me they'd rate them as a 5 or 6/10 for native-speed. But it is nice to be understanding large swathes of these podcasts. Each run through I"m picking up on more details I didn't notice the previous time through. I'd say I'm getting around 75% of these podcast episodes nowadays.

This is a really great place to be. To oversimpify, native content comes in two main types: (1) clear, professionally enunciated audio, and (2) aggressively idiomatic audio. (1) appears in native content designed for a wide audience. After all, many native speakers are hard of hearing, or they're familiar with different regional accents, etc. (2) often appears in unscripted content, or in content that's trying to be edgy and idiomatic. The Spanish version of Avatar falls into category (1), as do some singers like Julieta Venegas. Her diction really is crystal clear. But Enrique Inglesias is moving towards category (2). And a film like Y Tu Mamá Tambien is pretty unapologetically in category (2).

From where you're standing, category (1) is pretty broadly in reach. Read a few books, watch another 50 hours of a television series or two, and it should start coming together. One huge milestone that's not too far into your future is to be able to pick up a brand new TV show in category (1), and to be able to get up above 90% comprehension within the first season, just by watching.

But that category (2) audio? That's a long-term project. Even native speakers can struggle with category (2) audio sometimes, which is why I sometimes turn on subtitles for some English-language Netflix series, even if I'm the only person watching. There is absolutely nothing wrong with focusing on category (1) audio right now, because it's well within your reach. And once you're pretty solid on category (1) audio and you're comfortable reading, that's a fantastic point for tackling category (2).

zac299 wrote:As for the radio ambulente, I'm trying to decide between 2 methods of listening. Should I:

A) try and understand every part that I can, naturally. Even if it means "pausing" in my mind to think about what was said, working it out, then realising I've then missed the next 5 or 10 seconds of audio because I wasn't concentrating

Or...

B) throw "understanding" out the window for a while and simply focus on hearing each syllable and word as they come, to practice listening at a native speed... In preparation for when I can understand most of the words being used.

Either of these can be beneficial, I think. Iversen talks about "listening like a bloodhound", by which I understand he means (B). But (A) can be fine, too, especially if you're going to listen multiple times anyways. This is probably like asking, "Should I train curls? Or bench presses?" They're different but related exercises.

zac299 wrote:Regarding your episode transcript idea, would you mind elaborating on how you used them for your own study?

I've been working my way through them to translate whatever I didn't understand into english. But should I be translating the whole thing? While there's significant portions I can understand while I read them... I'm sure when I start watching the corresponding episode at its normal pace, there'll be parts I "understand" but still miss because sometimes it moves too fast.

For Buffy in French, I read through the transcripts, looking up anything that seemed interesting. At that point, I'd say that the transcripts were at least 80% "decipherable", with big chunks of that already automatic, at least in written form. And I could get up to 90% "decipherable" with some dictionary work. Then I watched the episode while reading along with the transcript—but only because I didn't have accurate subtitles. I likely did some rewinding—if you have one of those "jump back 30 seconds" buttons, go wild! And then I watched the episodes through at least one time more without the transcripts.

But the specific details weren't critical. Any other version of the basic idea would have been useful. But after I'd gone through a couple of episodes like this, I just extensively watched about 5 seasons of Buffy. And they were long seasons. This got me up to about 95% listening comprehension without subtitles or rewinding. Probably this worked so well because I could already "decipher" 80–90% of the written episodes. And I could do that because I already had maybe 2 books under my belt, around 800 pages of reading. By just watching through 5 seasons, I "consolidated" that knowledge, converted reading to listening, and made it mostly "automatic." Of course, the first few times you do this, it's very "series specific"—you learn a certain specialized vocabulary and become familiar with particular voices. But after a few different series, these skills broaden out.

Whereas for Spanish, I decided to take this whole idea to a ridiculous extreme. I made the audio cards you see in my log, breaking the episode down into very short segments with bilingual text. Then when I "learned" each card, I'd replay the audio over and over until I could close my eyes, hear the audio, and—at least in that moment—I could map the audio to the meaning. The first hundred cards or so were hard, because I didn't actually know how Spanish verbs worked, or what the pronouns were. Though I did take out my handy 6-page laminated grammar sometimes! I cannot overstate just how vague those first 100 cards were, really. And then, of course, I reviewed the cards. During each review, I'd listen to the audio over and over, until I could once again decipher just that one line of dialog that I'd "learned" a few days ago. Then I'd show the back of the card and listen a few times more. (I almost never "failed" cards. I'm actually abusing Anki here.) And as I reviewed, the gap between each review would increase about 2.5 times each time I saw it. (Less for harder cards, more for easier ones.) And once the cards hit a month old, they underwent a strange and magic "sea change"—I could just listen to most of them, and they were mostly automatic. At this point, I'd sit down and watch the episodes. Or I turned them into MP3 playlists using "substudy export tracks" and just listened to them a bunch of times.

Within about 30–60 hours of work, I was in the ridiculous position of someone who couldn't reliably conjugate ser in the present tense, but who could close his eyes and actually understand 4 specific episodes of Avatar, at full native speed. And I could "follow" at least 30–40% of most other episodes. But these skills were entirely Avatar-specific. For anything else, my listening dropped off a cliff.

So as you can see, these are two very different versions of the same basic idea. For Buffy, I had OK reading knowledge (much of it in the "deciphering" range), a couple of printed transcripts made by a fan, and a DVD box set. And I used a small amount of intensive study to kickstart an extensive watching process. Which paid off amazingly. Whereas in the case of the first four epsidoes Avatar, I had nothing. (Well, OK, I had English and B2+ French.) Accurate bilingual subs gave me a massive "cheating" boost. And then I used lots of repetition to "consolidate". I basically shredded each episode down to individual lines of dialog and scheduled their reviews algorithmically. And then once they had undergone that weird "sea change", I watched or listened each episode several times more. When I've paid that much to understand something, and when I really enjoy the content, it's worth a few more passes to get some cheap & easy consolidation. (This is also why I learn songs, because I can listen to them hundreds of times.)

So we have two examples of the same process, but with the dials set very differently. And you want to know where you should set your dials. Well, the good news is that your brain is designed to do this, robustly, under less than ideal circumstances. Humans developed about three key tricks over the last few million years: Endurance hunting, a really good throwing arm, and language learning. And I think it's the third that ultimately put us on top. Like, tool-making is great, but if you want to teach someone how to build a spear-thrower, then you're going to need do a lot of talking until they get the details right. And if you study enough anthropology, then you'll quickly realize that band- and village-level societies can have incredible linguistic diversity in a small region, and people move around all the time, thanks to trade, warfare, kidnapping and sheer wanderlust. So from a strictly evolutionary perspective, adults need to be able to learn languages. And they need to be able to do it under "field" conditions, without textbooks or grammars or AI-assisted flash card systems. :lol:

And just how good is this "learning in the field" ability? Well, I have some friends who could be charitably described as "firearm enthusiasts". And they will not shut up about Klashnikov's engineering, and how his designs could be manufactured using sketchy equipment, buried in the mud, washed out, mistreated, and still mostly work. And our human language-learning ability strikes me as much the same kind of thing—once our brain decides that we have no choice but to learn a language, it's going to happen. Whatever parts of our brain learn languages, they're not some kind of specialized equipment that only works under carefully-controlled conditions. They're not cheap to activate, so our brain will try to get of it if it can. But once we convince our brain this is going to happen, the process is robust.

However! Once we understand how the basic system works, we can jump-start it. Which is where grammar books and flash cards and FSI courses and dictionaries and all that come in. All of this stuff alllows us to speed up that initial "deciphering" work. But metaphorically, we're just trying to get that engine to turn over a few times. Once it's running, the "consolidating" process is largely self-sustaining, in much the same way that an alternator keeps the battery charged and the spark plugs firing. To abuse the metaphor even further, it's not necessarily a new car, so maybe you'll need to open the hood and tinker sometimes to keep running optimally.

So I can't give you magical, precise instructions for your current situation. But happily, you don't need precise instructions. Instead:

• Have faith that once your brain has some initial comprehension to consolidate, some kind of starting point, then it can turn a few million words of a related langauge into decent comprehension skills. For an adult English speaker learning a romance language, the total amount of content you need to successfully decipher and consolidate is ludicrously small (as big as it seems right now). The 5,000-page SC starting next month should absolutely do it.
  • But you can help the process along via a mix of occasionally digging deeper, repeating things until they sink in, or using outside knowledge to artificially boost your comprehension. A modest amount of this can go surprisingly far.
In modern AI, there's a split between "supervised" and "unsupervised" learning. "Supervised" learning involves giving the AI carefully-labeled examples explaining how everything works. "Unsupervised" learning basically involves handing the AI the entire internet and saying, "I dunno, learn the patterns, it's all there somewhere." And one of the big lessons of AI has been that the most powerful systems do huge amounts of "unsupervised" learning. There's a famous essay related to this, titled The Bitter Lesson (emphasis added):

Rich Sutton wrote:In speech recognition, there was an early competition, sponsored by DARPA, in the 1970s. Entrants included a host of special methods that took advantage of human knowledge---knowledge of words, of phonemes, of the human vocal tract, etc. On the other side were newer methods that were more statistical in nature and did much more computation, based on hidden Markov models (HMMs). Again, the statistical methods won out over the human-knowledge-based methods. This led to a major change in all of natural language processing, gradually over decades, where statistics and computation came to dominate the field. The recent rise of deep learning in speech recognition is the most recent step in this consistent direction. Deep learning methods rely even less on human knowledge, and use even more computation, together with learning on huge training sets, to produce dramatically better speech recognition systems. As in the games, researchers always tried to make systems that worked the way the researchers thought their own minds worked---they tried to put that knowledge in their systems---but it proved ultimately counterproductive, and a colossal waste of researcher's time, when, through Moore's law, massive computation became available and a means was found to put it to good use...

The second general point to be learned from the bitter lesson is that the actual contents of minds are tremendously, irredeemably complex; we should stop trying to find simple ways to think about the contents of minds, such as simple ways to think about space, objects, multiple agents, or symmetries. All these are part of the arbitrary, intrinsically-complex, outside world. They are not what should be built in, as their complexity is endless; instead we should build in only the meta-methods that can find and capture this arbitrary complexity.

That part of your brain that learns languages under "field" conditions? It's at least 1,000 times more efficient than the statistical language-learning systems decribed above. We can take an entire nuclear power plant's worth of energy, and pour it into advanced nanoscale circuitry doing billions of operations per second, and it's still a really bad imitation of the parts of your brain that learn languages.

When you work through a transcript in detail, or when I "learn" an episode using Anki, we're basically hand-feeding that part of our brain some easy input. We're saying "this content X has meaning Y, please take note." And our brain gulps that down. We're doing "supervised learning", carefully matching language to its meaning. And this is really important for anyone who hasn't been suddenly dropped in a village speaking an unfamiliar language! And in fact, we can get all the way to A2 or even B1 with a heavy mix of "supervised" learning. But to get from A2 to B2 or C1, we need more and more volume. And the only way to efficiently get enough volume is to turn to "unsupervised" (or "self-supervised" learning). Of course, we can still keep profitably supplementing that volume with extra "supervised" learning. The AI equivalent of this supplementation is reinforcement learning from human feedback, where a large self-supervised model is rapidly fine-tuned by feeding it a small number of examples.

Or if you'd prefer a less technological and evolutionary metaphor, we could go with C.S. Lewis instead:

C.S. Lewis wrote:And when the garden is in its full glory the gardener’s contributions to that glory will still have been in a sense paltry compared with those of nature. Without life springing from the earth, without rain, light and heat descending from the sky, he could do nothing. When he has done all, he has merely encouraged here and discouraged there, powers and beauties that have a different source. But his share, though small, is indispensable and laborious.

So all this is a giant wall of words to say that you're on the right path, and it will pay off faster and faster. :lol: The important thing to remember is that there's an underlying natural process here, and it is powerful. Even if we take a nuclear power plant, some large buildings full of nanoscale circuitry, a copy of the entire internet, and $100 million in cash, we can only produce an incomplete imitiation. And we don't understand that imitation much better than we understand our own brains. But you've reached the point where you're reading books, and you're understanding 75% of news podcasts, and you're enjoying a television series. Often, you just understand what you can, and keep going. Sometimes, you dig deeper and upgrade some "opaque" bits to "decipherable", or you repeat a podcast to get some extra "consolidation." And you're adjusting on the fly.

The path in front of you will often look impossible and frustrating, if you've never walked this way before. But from where I'm standing, looking back at the path? And having seen lots of other people walk the same path? Well, your success looks inevitable.
3 x

zac299
White Belt
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby zac299 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:42 am

Wow, what a legend to put together such a fantastic and helpful post.

Before I go into it, i just want to say thanks so much emk.

emk wrote:And one final important thing to understand: Because consolidation requires so much sheer volume, your minute-to-minute approach can be pretty flexible. For me, it took about 20 real books and probably 200 hours of television before I looked at a C2 reading exam and I was like, "That's it? They just want me to read that little passage and answer some questions? So what do I do with the rest of the time?" But once you're talking about that kind of volume, it's OK to miss some stuff—you're going to get another chance later, when it's a bit more in reach.

So the classic approach is to mix "intensive" reading and watching with "extensive" versions. Sometimes you'll pick a page, or an episode, or a chapter, and you'll try to "zoom in". You can look up more-or-less everything interesting. Learn surprising new facts. But a lot of the time, you want focus on the stuff you can decipher without too much work, and just keep going until it becomes second nature. It's OK to let the opaque stuff go a lot of the time. Because the more decipherable stuff you make automatic, the more the opaque stuff will become decipherable. And you can adjust the mix of intensive and extensive as needed.

I'm really glad you said this because I think it almost gives me a feeling of "permission" to jump into actual native books maybe sooner than I was starting to plan to... Especially now you've shared an interesting point of view about how to attack such a journey.

I've almost finished this B1 book. I'm thinking of doing another B1 book and then 2 B2 books. After that base, I think I'll give myself permission to just jump into a book on my bookshelf and give it a shot.

emk wrote:But one of the key insights I've seen from looking at years of logs, is that people who don't do any extensive reading or watching tend to get stuck around A2 or B1. They may get really good at deciphering text, but they don't build the automaticity. And to step onto theoretically controversial ground :lol:, there is a part of your brain which is meant to learn languages. It's trying to build a "model" of how everything fits together. But that automatic, subconscious part needs a certain minimum amount of content to do its work. And it needs some way to match up the content and the meaning—not 100% of the time, but at least enough to gain a beachhead and expand.

And when you think of it that way, "20 adult books to reach C1/C2 reading" is a low, low price. From the end where you're standing now, yeah, that seems like a lot. But as you go, the process snowballs as you consolidate more and more. I remember the first time I sat down and read an 80,000-word French book in a single day. Totally mind-blowing.

I"m absolutely in your camp that the price to pay is almost non-existent compared to the ROI.

During your extensive French studies, did you do a lot of reading and listening to the audiobook, both in french, at the same time?

On the surface it seems like a great way to pile on so much extra input...

But I'm also wondering if it'll almost be detrimental to comprehension if the audio is "forcing" me to move faster through the written words than I otherwise might.

emk wrote:This is a really great place to be. To oversimpify, native content comes in two main types: (1) clear, professionally enunciated audio, and (2) aggressively idiomatic audio. (1) appears in native content designed for a wide audience. After all, many native speakers are hard of hearing, or they're familiar with different regional accents, etc. (2) often appears in unscripted content, or in content that's trying to be edgy and idiomatic. The Spanish version of Avatar falls into category (1), as do some singers like Julieta Venegas. Her diction really is crystal clear. But Enrique Inglesias is moving towards category (2). And a film like Y Tu Mamá Tambien is pretty unapologetically in category (2).

From where you're standing, category (1) is pretty broadly in reach. Read a few books, watch another 50 hours of a television series or two, and it should start coming together. One huge milestone that's not too far into your future is to be able to pick up a brand new TV show in category (1), and to be able to get up above 90% comprehension within the first season, just by watching.

This is really encouraging to hear and I appreciate you breaking it down like this, giving numbers, giving rough expectations.

To go back to a point you've made about really focusing on a few TV episodes, then becoming really good at that TV series (Because it's the same characters, accents, general colloquialisms etc being used)...

I was thinking of simply starting the whole Escobar series again once I finish it. I think it's 90ish episodes, so there's no way in hell I"m remembering the intricate details and minor plot twists by the time I go back to the beginning and start again. Plus, when I first begun, I was understanding so very little...

Did you repeat watching Avatar in french numerous times?

I guess the advantage is, as you say, it's going to artificially boost my comprehension second time through... But at the expense of jumping into a new series and starting to get a whole new "training epoch" with different accepts, colloquialisms, etc.

From your hindsight is there a way you'd lean, assuming boredom (Repeating a whole series) is not a factor at all?

emk wrote:Either of these can be beneficial, I think. Iversen talks about "listening like a bloodhound", by which I understand he means (B). But (A) can be fine, too, especially if you're going to listen multiple times anyways. This is probably like asking, "Should I train curls? Or bench presses?" They're different but related exercises.

Wow you're well-versed in these forums... That "listening like a bloodhound" idea is exactly what I was referencing. I'd screenshotted the idea a few weeks ago and it's exactly what popped to mind when I started on Radio Ambulente...

Thanks for knowing it and crediting Iversen in my absence of doing so.

emk wrote:<snip> fantastic info about using the episode transcripts

Cheers once again for the guidelines and information.

I guess it's just "many ways to skin the cat" and I'll just jump into and experience it.

emk wrote:<snip> Info about your own spanish studies

I just want to take this moment and say some of the stuff you're doing/developing over in your thread is really incredible. I think I'm "heart-ing" almost every update you make because I can't believe the time, attention and patience you put into it. Very much commendable.

emk wrote:So all this is a giant wall of words to say that you're on the right path, and it will pay off faster and faster. :lol: The important thing to remember is that there's an underlying natural process here, and it is powerful. Even if we take a nuclear power plant, some large buildings full of nanoscale circuitry, a copy of the entire internet, and $100 million in cash, we can only produce an incomplete imitiation. And we don't understand that imitation much better than we understand our own brains. But you've reached the point where you're reading books, and you're understanding 75% of news podcasts, and you're enjoying a television series. Often, you just understand what you can, and keep going. Sometimes, you dig deeper and upgrade some "opaque" bits to "decipherable", or you repeat a podcast to get some extra "consolidation." And you're adjusting on the fly.

The path in front of you will often look impossible and frustrating, if you've never walked this way before. But from where I'm standing, looking back at the path? And having seen lots of other people walk the same path? Well, your success looks inevitable.

Once more, thanks so much for your wonderful post.

I've got 2 very strong personal motivations that "keep me going" even though I'm still enjoying this whole process so much that I don't need to use either of those motivations. In fact, everything is just getting more and more fun.

But this summation at the end which you've provided, I think, has become motivation number 3. A very good reminder of keeping things in perspective as well, which is sometimes a tad difficult when language is such a (Literal) day-to-day thing... It's natural to kind of compare yourself and your progress to where you were just yesterday and not being so impressed.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond like this.

This is the 3rd time I've sat down to read this post and absorb it. I think I'm going to print it off and add it to my schedule of "monthly review".

Cheers.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:05 pm

zac299 wrote:I'm really glad you said this because I think it almost gives me a feeling of "permission" to jump into actual native books maybe sooner than I was starting to plan to... Especially now you've shared an interesting point of view about how to attack such a journey.

I've almost finished this B1 book. I'm thinking of doing another B1 book and then 2 B2 books. After that base, I think I'll give myself permission to just jump into a book on my bookshelf and give it a shot.

Absolutely! The limiting factor (at least at your level or higher) is whether reading a particular book is fun, not whether it's actually "at your level." For example, my current Spanish level is lot lower than yours. Basically, three weeks ago I was OK with Avatar, but with literally anything else I was a poor defenseless baby duckling. So I started reading a 300+-page adult fantasy novel bilingually, with both the English and Spanish version available (and paid for). Putting in about 30 minutes a day, I'm at page 150. I won't pretend it hasn't been a slog, albeit a fun slog. In fact, I could do about 5 or 6 pages an evening before my brain was fried. But on page 1, I needed to rely on the bilingual text for almost everything. And by page 150, I often just need the English for just a couple of words per sentence, or sometimes I can understand several whole sentences in a row. Probably if I read two books in the series bilingually, by the third I would only need a e-reader pop-up dictionary.

The process works. Even if, well, it currently relies on my abnormally high willingness to put up with stuff I don't understand, and on my stubbornness to keep slogging away at a few pages every day. If I'm giving advice to other people, then there's a lot of classroom evidence that the typical student would be far happier if they only encounter a few unknown words per page. Graded readers are fantastic for that.

But if one day, you're like, "I just wanna read this book", then absolutely go for it. But never hesitate to "cheat" and artificially boost your understanding. The easiest adult books are usually either ones you've read several times in English, or ones which have simple and clear prose (or highly repetititve 19th century prose with lots of Latin cognates), or ones where you have easy access to a fast popup dictionary. When working with native media around B1, it's going to be a bit hit or miss. A good chunk of stuff will still be out of reach. So depending on how good your "cheating" skills and tools are, you'll generally need to try a few things until you find something that you can get into.

zac299 wrote:During your extensive French studies, did you do a lot of reading and listening to the audiobook, both in french, at the same time?

I did not, but mostly because acquiring a French audiobook in the United States without resorting to piracy was a whole project. But the idea you propose is also sometimes known as "Listening/Reading", and lots of people have been very happy and successful using it. And especially if you've already read the book before in English a couple of times, then being forced to "move along" is fine. That will mostly force you to focus on consolidating stuff that's already mostly within reach, and to skip over harder stuff. But as long as you're enjoying yourself and more-or-less following the plot, you'll get something out of it.

Like I said, as long as you're presenting your brain with lots of (language, meaning) pairs, then your brain is basically going build a model that maps language to meaning. This is a "field expedient" process designed to be successfuly operated by 3-year-olds, who are famous for not reading any instructions, and for doing things like sticking peanut butter sandwiches in the VCR because it "looked hungry." The language learning process is therefore very robust in the face of "user error." What you bring to the table as an adult is a slightly creaky version of the language learning machinery, plus a level of sheer cunning and life experience that allow you to make up for any weaknesses.

This is why I talk about "cheating", and it's the point behind half the whacky experiments in my log. Anything you can do match up Spanish audio or text with understandable meaning seems to speed the process along. And it's a self-reinforcing process, once it gets rolling.

zac299 wrote:I was thinking of simply starting the whole Escobar series again once I finish it. I think it's 90ish episodes, so there's no way in hell I"m remembering the intricate details and minor plot twists by the time I go back to the beginning and start again. Plus, when I first begun, I was understanding so very little...

Did you repeat watching Avatar in french numerous times?

Yup, if you enjoy a series enough to re-watch it, then re-watching it is great!

I didn't bother rewatching French Avatar, because I was only missing a couple of sentences per episode at that point, and I had a whole stack of other things to watch. Like, how could I pass up watching an 80s childrens' version of the Odyssey in space? But Spanish Avatar? It's practically the soundtrack to my life at this point. I literally have an MP3 playlist made with "substudy export tracks" which contains just the dialog of Avatar, and sometimes I'll put it on and go for a walk. Because my level is so much lower, I benefit from more repetition.

This is also why my language learning logs are basically just me listing all kinds of media and saying "This is so cool!" The fun stuff helps keep me going, and but it also stands up much better under repetition.

zac299 wrote:That "listening like a bloodhound" idea is exactly what I was referencing. I'd screenshotted the idea a few weeks ago and it's exactly what popped to mind when I started on Radio Ambulente...

I am really looking forward to Radio Ambulente. That very clear radio voice, plus those bilingual transcripts. So many ways to use that! And yeah, the first time I listened to it, I also immediately thought of "listening like a bloodhound."

zac299 wrote:It's natural to kind of compare yourself and your progress to where you were just yesterday and not being so impressed.

Yeah, it's way more encouraging to look back at last month, instead of yesterday! Assimil courses are notorious for feeling like they're "not working" at first, but if you reach lesson 30 and look back at lesson 1, it's mind blowing. Same for anything else. Progress is measured in 30-hour increments, basically.

Also, you might get a kick out of this report from a recent student in the current FSI Spanish program. Apparently the FSI is trying a more "content-based" format for this particular group than they've used in the past. But it's just as intense, and just as successful as always. I particularly vibe with her description of a process based largely on input (and later, class discussions), combined with a small amount of focused grammar study. But the neighboring FSI French students did more traditional grammar work, and they turned out just fine, too.

I think this all supports the idea that humans are built to learn languages. Toddlers do things the hard way, because they're in full immersion and they have no choice. (In fact, if toddlers can avoid learning a language, they will usually do so.) And sure, adults are worse at some things, particularly accents. And we're not often in 24/7 do-or-die immersion. But adults have tons of advantages, too. And in an absolute sense, we still learn languages weirdly fast. Yes, the 5,000 pages of the Super Challenge can be overwhelming while it's underway. But it's enough to rebuild a significant fraction of your fluent adult reading skills in a Romance language. As my son points out, there are popular fantasy series longer than that!
4 x

fromaalborg
White Belt
Languages: Danish (native), English (fluent), French (learning)

Postby fromaalborg » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:43 pm

emk wrote: Same for anything else. Progress is measured in 30-hour increments, basically.

I have not heard this before. Is it your own experience, or is this some kind of consensus idea?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pm

fromaalborg wrote:
emk wrote: Same for anything else. Progress is measured in 30-hour increments, basically.

I have not heard this before. Is it your own experience, or is this some kind of consensus idea?

Just a personal observation!

I once spent 4 months studying French full time, starting around A2 (according to exam-focused tutor) and finishing with a B2 exam. And I thought, "I'm studying, reading or watching a minimum of 30 hours a week, and literally trying to speak French a couple of hours a day at home. Surely I should be making rapid progress?"

But I had good days and bad days, and I couldn't always see my progress. But if I had been focusing on a particular goal, and if I looked back at least 30 hours or so, I could totally see some improvement on that goal. In the very beginning it was easier to see progress. 20 minutes of Anki a day for 30 days is only 10 hours, but if I looked back, I could totally see it. Later on, I might need to put 30 hours into a single, focused skill to really hit a milestone.

I think this is a mix of several things:

• Day-to-day variation is big enough to hide progress for a while, sort of like losing weight.
  • Progress really does take a bunch of hours spent "on task".
  • Weirdly, even when studying pretty intensively, some stuff seems to require 20–30 days of calendar time to sink in. I can see this most visibly with Anki, where I'll be able 85% solid on a comprehension card, I'll send it away for 20 days, and when it comes back, it's suddenly easy. I suspect memory(/systems) consolidation might be the culprit? Or perhaps our brain does big "batch training runs" in the background with everything we're studying, moving the final results away from the hippocampus?
As Khatzumoto once pointed out, this is an organic process. You can plant the seeds, you can fertilize, water and weed them. But there's not much point in stressing about the day-to-day progress.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”