Enjoying a cup of coffee (or six) in 2024

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Enjoying a cup of coffee (or six) in 2024

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 am

Cavesa wrote:we finally saw the Dune 2 a few days ago!!! And I love the double subtitles in cinemas so much!)

I rarely watch films, but I did watch Dune in the latest version on my way to Madagascar, and it was OK - but I missed the creepy little Bene Gesserit girl from the old version (and maybe also the surrealistic Harkonnen monster) which I must have seen soon after it appeared in the 70s. And I have got 4 or 5 books written by mr Herbert himself, but I have read on the internet that others now have made an industry out of prequels and sequals and ratherbesidethepoint-quals to the original series.

And I love subtitles on TV because then I can turn down the sound.

As for historical pivot points: the world would have been quite different today if Hitler had stuck to his agreement with Stalin and kept out of Russia.

As for enshittification: I do like the word, and it describes what has happened to a number of formerly relevant media. Right now my main fear is that even Wikipedia will disappear into the dark swamp of evilness since I can't possibly keep all its information in many languages on my home computers. But I have a house full of books and music files which could be my rescue if internet content suddenly becomes pay only (and shittified as part of the process).
7 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

Cavesa wrote:From time to time, I get attacked by nostalgia, procrastination, or whatever it is. And I revisit stuff I used to like. In case of the LL world, it's some blogs, learning resources, etc. But quite often, I am a bit disappointed. Or a lot.

In terms of blogs, there is this unfortunate repetitive evolution. A blog gets very good, then the person decides to make a living of it, and later they hire a ton of different people writing shitty posts drawn from the first few units of a coursebook. So, instead of wonderful and unique articles on "how I got to high level Arabic" or "how much progress you can do in three months", you get a ton of "how to say Hi in Spanish" trash.

The Mezzofanti Guild has gone this dark path. So has the Fluent in three months. AJATT is now weird too.

It can be really disappointing for those of us who grew up on late '90s and early 2000s Internet. There's so much chaff these days, and I think "AI" is only going to make it worse.
7 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 pm

18 minutes of Linguino Italian
Tumlare wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Am I getting too old? too nostalgic? too much of a procrastinator?

No, just the continual enshittification of the internet.

Memrise still stings. I am looking forward to revisiting Clozemaster when they update the Swedish and French tracks though!

Thank you. This is a word I will clearly use more and more, just like the rest of the world.
And yes, Memrise stings. I still remember the awesome Memrise Beta. And then it went to worse and worse in several huge waves. Now I just need to learn how to save my favourite courses and put them to Anki.

Iversen wrote:
Cavesa wrote:we finally saw the Dune 2 a few days ago!!! And I love the double subtitles in cinemas so much!)

I rarely watch films, but I did watch Dune in the latest version on my way to Madagascar, and it was OK - but I missed the creepy little Bene Gesserit girl from the old version (and maybe also the surrealistic Harkonnen monster) which I must have seen soon after it appeared in the 70s. And I have got 4 or 5 books written by mr Herbert himself, but I have read on the internet that others now have made an industry out of prequels and sequals and ratherbesidethepoint-quals to the original series.

Yes, the old film is very good! I need to read the books, I am really curious about them. But I have a problem: In which language??? That's the issue.

Yeah, the pre/se/beside-quals are a hit and miss. Or rather, they rarely work. In some cases, they can be interesting, whether it is a movie or a book (The Wheel of Time prequel is one of the good examples), but it is far too often just an attempt to milk something popular.

It is totally weird. On one hand, today's creators insist on tiny short 8 episode seasons, which do not leave enough space to really work with the story, they need to shorten far too much the source material, and they also do not create huge fandoms, that would give them money for decade or a few decades. I highly doubt Star Trek would have been such a success, if it had to fit the main story in 8 episodes per season.

But then the creators want to create more, and go for the -quals. Which are not the same thing as the main show. I don't understand. Why cannot they just go back to 13 episode seasons again?

And I love subtitles on TV because then I can turn down the sound.

YES! My beloved and I have observed, that the newer movies and shows have a very different sound than the old ones. Very silent speech, and normal or strong other sounds (music, explosions, shooting, whatever). It is made for cinema, where you can hear the speech as loud, and all the rest as hyperloud. So annoying!

So, we use subtitles more than before. It is a way to watch stuff without annoying our neighbours.

As for historical pivot points: the world would have been quite different today if Hitler had stuck to his agreement with Stalin and kept out of Russia.

Yeah, but not that different. Russia always finds/creates and excuse, so perhaps it would have ended the same. And between those two, it is hard to choose your preferred murderer.
Most of the alternative histories would not turn out much better for the Czechs anyways. Simply a bad geographical luck.

As for enshittification: I do like the word, and it describes what has happened to a number of formerly relevant media. Right now my main fear is that even Wikipedia will disappear into the dark swamp of evilness since I can't possibly keep all its information in many languages on my home computers. But I have a house full of books and music files which could be my rescue if internet content suddenly becomes pay only (and shittified as part of the process).

Yes, Wikipedia is in danger too, especially due to the AI use (or misuse or even abuse). I am still forming my opinion on AI in language learning, but it is certainly worrying to observe some of the effects. Wikipedia is in danger due to the AI, due to the hybrid/information wars and propaganda and fake news, and partially also due to people not valuing it enough. Which reminds me: next time it asks for money, I send some.
4 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

Iversen wrote:As for historical pivot points: the world would have been quite different today if Hitler had stuck to his agreement with Stalin and kept out of Russia.
Do you think Danish would have given way to Hoch-deutsch the way Platt-deutsch has?
1 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:00 pm

Tumlare wrote:No, just the continual enshittification of the internet.

There's an ongoing edit war, but at the moment that very wiki article is an example of its topic. The actual history of the word "enshittification" has been erased so that Cory Doctorow can exploit that wiki article for self-promotion.

Cavesa wrote:Wikipedia is in danger due to the AI, due to the hybrid/information wars and propaganda and fake news, and partially also due to people not valuing it enough. Which reminds me: next time it asks for money, I send some.

FYI, most donations to Wikipedia don't go to server costs.
https://www.emilkirkegaard.com/p/the-wikipedia-fundraising-scam
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 am

DaveAgain wrote:
Iversen wrote:As for historical pivot points: the world would have been quite different today if Hitler had stuck to his agreement with Stalin and kept out of Russia.
Do you think Danish would have given way to Hoch-deutsch the way Platt-deutsch has?

Possibly. And who knows, perhaps it wouldn't be the only one. Dutch would be another candidate on "easy" assimilation, and there would surely be others.

Czech wouldn't exist as most speakers would be killed (we were on the list just a few places bellow the Jews) and the surviving ones would have to/want to only speak German. The same would be true about a dozen other languages.

Nevertheless, there would still be a very different dialect in every valley of the germanophone Switzerland. :-D

lichtrausch wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Wikipedia is in danger due to the AI, due to the hybrid/information wars and propaganda and fake news, and partially also due to people not valuing it enough. Which reminds me: next time it asks for money, I send some.

FYI, most donations to Wikipedia don't go to server costs.
https://www.emilkirkegaard.com/p/the-wikipedia-fundraising-scam

Thank you, now I feel much better about not having contributed. I'd have nothing against contributing and the extra money being redistributed, if it was presented honestly and with the companies the money goes to. It would actually be awesome, if Wiki sent the surpluses to for example NGO spreading education in the disadvantaged parts of the world. But reading this overview, I am not sure I'd want my money blindly going to all those causes.

Btw a random note about Linguino: I really love how many of the sentences could easily be found in a crime novel, a thriller, or any similar genre. It keeps me interested!
7 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:50 am

37 minutes Linguino Italian

I felt proud to get to three stars silver penguin ( I think Linguino is really doing the gamification right. It is there, but it is clearly a tool to help learning, not the opposite), but then the thing (very cleverly) demoted me to two stars again. Why? The mix of conjuntivo passato, condizionale passate, trapassato remoto is really kicking my ass. Time to regain the star (ok, if I step down a level for a while, to let the brain rest and peacefully drill the "basic tenses") and review these tenses before drilling them again.

and 15 min of Hebrew alphabet on Duo (yep, I am sort of ashamed of using it, but this is actually what it was supposed to work like. the alphabet course reminds me of times before several waves of changes). There are better resources, but not accessible. The iScript app looks really good, but I don't have an iphone. I'll probably get one of the thin books on the script later. Those might also teach me a few words (because for now, I've just been learning to read without knowing what it means).
11 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm

24 minutes Linguno (yeah, just noticed I've been spelling that wrong)
Got that third star silver bird! Now I need to keep it :-D

I like how the progress page shows you the % of learnt stuff, and it can also decrease. The only tiny issue: in order to see the % for all the levels, you need to play each level at least once, even though the progress is recorded and the statistics are made whether or not you do it.
My % are now from 92,8 to 40%

Btw I seem not to do well all that "just leisure learning for fun". It has worked really badly for my Italian as I happened to just take a loooong break. So, I've decided I'll aim for an Italian C2 exam sometime in 2025. Self study, to prove myself I can do it that way. If I fail, no big deal (but of course I'd prefer to pass), I can afford it in my budget and I already got the C1 certificate, which is useful enough.

And it goes well together with theh SC of course.

I've got a nice shelf full of Italian books, looking forward to all that.
9 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 pm

Cavesa wrote:24 minutes Linguno (yeah, just noticed I've been spelling that wrong)

I always spell it wrong and have to correct myself! Lingu... just feels like it needs an "i"!
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:11 pm

Yay for new goals! Best of luck!
1 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
SC 24/25
: 0 / 100 Books 0/100
: 0 / 100 Films 0/100

Return to “Language logs”