Paso a paso, se va lejos

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
1e4e5
White Belt
Languages: Italian (C1)

Re: Paso a paso, se va lejos

Postby 1e4e5 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:07 am

I subscribed to Routledge Colloquial Languages, which is the maker of the Colloquial series. I see that they have some quite new editions of some languages. The Colloquial Persian book looks interesting. The audio is neither cassette nor CD, but .mp3 files that they give for free.

I like how in the opening in the description says (emphasis mine),

Each unit presents a wealth of grammatical points across different key topics for communicating in Persian. This fourth edition offers thoroughly updated and expanded cultural notes, refined language points offering greater clarity and understanding of the most difficult points, a clearer introduction to the Persian script, and new audio material. Balanced, comprehensive, and rewarding, Colloquial Persian is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Persian. No prior knowledge of the language is required.

That alphabet is really a pain.
2 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:14 am

I finally got the Colloquial Persian, 4th Ed. book. It says published 17 October 2023, so quite new. Hopefully I can at last not get bogged down in the alphabet again.
0 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 am

The new Colloquial Persian, 4th Ed. came earlier than thought.

The introductory chapter on the Persian script, called Reading and Writing in Persian, basically a Chapter 0. Now looking back, I realise that the lessons in the old version were all in Latin transliteration, so definitely an upside to have the script added above the Latin transliterations.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:20 am

Is the cover picture a real building? It looks astonishing!
1 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:07 am

Found this from a few years ago. Should be good to practise useful Portuguese vocabulary.

Trying to only focus on goals now.
1 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:36 am

For future reference: Goethe-Zertifikat C2.

By far the hardest thing to forbetter is speaking, since I am autodidactic and talk with almost no one. One thing that I have found from other self-learners is to practise speaking and shadowing to oneself, sometimes in front of a mirror, but not needed all the time.

I have not died of a heart attack in my sleep yet. A good thing, I suppose, or a bad thing, depending on if you hate me or not.
1 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:39 am

I am impressed by someone who went from 0 to C2 in German and thus passed the Goethe C2 after only nine months of self-learning. One thing that I noticed is that he got a 60/100 in Sprechen, his lowest score out of the four modules, which I assume is since he had learnt like I am now; that is, self-learning. It is hard to practise speaking when you have no friends and are introverted in general.

Still, the guy passed the Goethe C2 with 76/100 and says that he plans to sit the DELE C2 as well. Perhaps the mysticism around C2 that it is hard beyond belief is at least a slight exaggeration.
3 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 am

I have still not died in my sleep yet, but if I do, most likely everyone here would be very happy.

I have to freeze a few languages due to time constraints. The core is now lessened to around seven. The others shall be maintained, but not huge amounts of time given to them. Otherwise, I would be overworked and pass out and die. But maybe that is not a bad thing.
0 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:08 am

I have to sit a Latin entrance exam next year, so I have gotten out my copy of Wheelock's Latin, 7th Ed. Thankfully I had gotten Workbook for Wheelock's Latin, 3rd Ed. at a bookstore a few months ago. These two are hefty. It goes against the plan of downsizing, but it has to be done.
0 x

1e4e5
White Belt

Postby 1e4e5 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:42 am

I resubscribed after years to Atresplayer. My goal is to understand 100% of absolutely anything and everything in spoken colloquial Spanish in any setting, including people who are drunk and/or irate, people with no teeth, etc., plus modismos that I may not know yet. Next year will be 21 years that I have been with Spanish, and the past few years there has been nothing more really concrete that I can learn.

My usual series that I have found right away are Pesadilla en la cocina and Vis à vis. A new one that I found this week is Zorras, which is labelled for 12+, but is quite explicit for some.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”