'Tis I, the Frenchiest Fry and the Sauerest of Krauts: An American's German and French Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

'Tis I, the Frenchiest Fry and the Sauerest of Krauts: An American's German and French Log

Postby eido » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:05 pm

So, I have another log, in which I explore a multitude of languages and really let my nerd flag fly with all the varying interests I have.

But in this log, I want to focus on bettering two languages in specific: German and French. They could possibly be the most useful to me in the long-run. If you've followed my logs since 2018, you'll know I've mainly studied Spanish and Korean in sporadic bursts with a wandering eye toward many other tongues, and I've forged my own path and come into my own as a language learner - in sum.

I've decided to try something not entirely foreign or new to me, but which I haven't attempted in a long time: to stay focused and committed and go at the goal like it really matters. I'm young still, but I take seriously the advice to always have an eye toward the future; and maybe that's where my wandering eye should have been more focused this entire time.

I'm excited for what this endeavor may mean for future opportunities and really, just the experience of growing wiser and more seasoned. Obviously I intend to maintain my Spanish, as it's a very useful language indeed for my current prospects, and I have a high level in it (so it would be a shame to see it atrophy). I have a decent level in Korean and a proven (to me) method that gets me through reading for-kids news articles, so I've shown myself twice over that I can learn a language, at least when it comes to knowing study skills.

Now I have to prove I have follow-through.

I don't have a plan for how I'll do it, which maybe is a mistake (unfortunate, right out of the gate). But I'm sure I'll get there. ;)
16 x

eido
Blue Belt

Resources

Postby eido » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:42 pm

To begin, I thought I might mention some resources I'll be using. This post will be updated (hopefully) as I go along with my studies.

German:
French:
  • Barron's grammar
  • Grammaire Progressive du Français
  • Radio France
  • UTexas site
Last edited by eido on Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

eido
Blue Belt

Re: 'Tis I, the Frenchiest Fry and the Sauerest of Krauts: An American's German and French Log

Postby eido » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:32 pm

I don't know how consistent I'll be with my studies over the next few months, but I'm off to a good start.

I'm using the "German for Reading Knowledge" site as my primary resource right now, and because I started exploring Germanic languages at a young(er) age, and have dipped into German before, things are really clicking at a speedy rate. I've covered all the cases, articles, etc. Hopefully after a couple more units I'll move on to making simple sentences and watching Easy German videos on YouTube, or something similar.

French is going well also, for obvious reasons (prior Spanish knowledge :lol: ). It's not as easy as German, though, which some of you may find weird. I think it could be interference between it and my first second language. But I won't give up!

So far, I'm having fun and look forward to continued success. I might not use all my resources, but I will try to, as I purchased most of them and they deserve to get utilized.

That's all for now; be back with another update soon!
6 x

eido
Blue Belt

Re: 'Tis I, the Frenchiest Fry and the Sauerest of Krauts: An American's German and French Log

Postby eido » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:20 pm

Not to reference Taylor Swift, but I'm going to reference Taylor Swift.

"Hi, it's me. I'm the problem, it's me."

I ended up taking radically different plans than I thought I would over the summer due to school plans and life circumstances, so my French study stopped; it also stopped because I wasn't too excited about studying French.

The two factors compounded together to create a mess. :lol:

Instead, I kept dabbling and maintaining Spanish, as well as trying to bulk up my Korean. Which is all well and good, but the dabbling needed to stop for me to get things done. So now I'm essentially focused on Spanish, French, and Korean. I might add German back in at some point (therefore this blog's a little bit of a misnomer), but for now you can find all my French musings starting in 2024 here.

• I found this lady's channel and have been browsing through it: HERE. It doesn't seem to have been updated in a while, though.
  • I also went through the French Resources thread on LLORG and found Lingolia, for which I paid a 3-month subscription to access grammar explanations. I also took their level test, and I think due to my native language, my knowledge of Spanish, and a previous French class, I got B1. So I'm not starting from zero!

Let's see how consistent I can be in the coming months! In the past few years, it's not been so much of "can I do this?" but "will I be able to do this?" as I get further involved in adult life and well, living in general. And I suppose that's to be expected. :P I'm not complaining. I'm just watching all the time fly by me, going, "Just where are you headed?"

As always, thanks for reading, and have a pleasant day :)
13 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:48 pm

tu t'es rendue - what could be more French? maybe there is hope for you yet :lol:
2 x
Super Challenge 2024-2025
ES (half): reading: 0 / 5000 watcching: 0 / 5000
FR (full): reading: 0 / 5000 watcching: 0 / 5000

Return to “Language logs”