KO+

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Re: wnint - KR>JP

Postby Snow » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks for your response!

If you have some free time, please do send some pictures of the book. I would like to see how it looks inside. I have the intermediate Korean Grammar in Use book which I like very much!

Edit: I also have Ewha 1 but I don't know if the book is still structured the same way in the upper levels.
0 x

wnint
White Belt
Languages: English

Re: KO+

Postby wnint » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:38 pm

I'll just write a short comment on the first 90 day challenge. Starting challenge #2 on Saturday.

23600 "known words"
90000 words read (+ probably an extra 25% outside of LingQ)
14 movies (two last movies 화녀 and 티켓)

So I fell short, again. I'm not that disappointed however. One thing I've noticed is that I the hesitation I've sometimes felt before heading into texts is almost gone. According to my LingQ stats I'm supposed to be C1 now, I'm not. But for the first time I sort of feel like I'm getting close.

As for 90DC2 I think I will set the following goals.

Reach 50000 known words on LingQ
Reach 250 watched movies
10 hours conversation

If I can find a good ebook I'm certain I'll the reach the known words goal. The movie goal feels a bit optimistic but it would be fun to break 250. Finally, I've postponed my speaking for sooo long now. I've therefore set up a first practice with a tutor this weekend. :shock:
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

wnint
White Belt

Postby wnint » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:41 am

So I seem to have a habit of setting too lofty goals. :roll: Anyway, I'm back it again now. I have had more time at my disposal lately and made some progress I think. Being able to put in more than 2 hours a day seems to make a big difference. Studying with this intensity feels way more effective, I believe I'm getting much more learning per hour put in.

My very straightforward study routine now consists of 85% reading, 5% talking to myself, 5% SRS and 5% movies. I'm also trying to listen to more Korean music. I can't really find what I'm looking for so I easily slip back into non-korean music (not looking for: (modern) K-pop, ballads, rap or singer-songwriter style music). If anyone has any recommendations that would be great.
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Perhaps you'd like k-indie
http://tsukinofune.tumblr.com/tagged/k-indie

I find that it's so easy to find good music nowadays with YouTube

Also they have a lot of music and singing shows and some of the performances are amazing
http://tsukinofune.tumblr.com/tagged/immortal-song

Here's more music from my tumblr that I don't use lately

http://tsukinofune.tumblr.com/tagged/korean-music

All I listen to is Japanese and Korean music so I don't understand your dilemma. I'm mad behind actually!

By the way have you kept track of all he Korean movies you watched with ratings?
1 x

wnint
White Belt

Postby wnint » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Sayonaroo wrote:Perhaps you'd like k-indie...

I did find some interesting songs at your blog, I added Park Soyu - Lonely Planet to my library. Thanks!

Sayonaroo wrote:By the way have you kept track of all he Korean movies you watched with ratings?

Yupp. I have a list on letterboxd.
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

wnint
White Belt

Postby wnint » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Quick update. Passed 40000 words on lingq. I don't feel much of a difference. :? Still hitting 40-50% new words in more or less every article I read. :x Not that it matters, but it would feel encouraging to see some progress in that metric. I'm hope to finish my goals before the beginning of September.
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

wnint
White Belt

Postby wnint » Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm

It's been a while since my last post. The number of Korean logs seems a bit lower these days? Anyway I started the year out studying Hanja. After finishing level 5 I've taken a break but I intend to continue in the next few months. Having read about the horrors of Kanji and Hanzi, I was quite surprised by how quickly I could pick them up. I kind of wish Korean used mixed script now, I think the language would be easier to learn tbh.

I've decided to increase the amount of Korean I read. My goal is to read 2000 words a day although I probably won't make it. I'm also trying not to jump so much between different topics. At 2000 words a day reading articles at random, the time between two occurrences of the same unknown word is often too long for me. Currently reading articles on climbing, trekking and things like that. I also found a cool site with translated Sci-fi books. Just started The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. Will also continue reading Berserk (halfway through the second volume). Lacking right now is listening, I really need to listen more so I will try to find a nice podcast.

For some time now I've had trouble getting a foothold in a new language. I believe by now I've I have tried French, Italian, Japanese and Persian. I have started Japanese a few times but never even got through Hiragana. I also think the Japanese sounds of the Kanji might interfere with the goal of my Hanja studies. A few weeks ago a Persian language video showed up out of nowhere in my youtube feed. For some reason I got really interested and in the back of my head I remembered that fellow forum member druckfehler studied Persian. Via druckfehler I found Persiandee which I've used to learn part of the alphabet. I also started a memrise course for the alphabet. Still not sure why I'm studying Persian except that it would be fun to know how to read and that I like how it sounds.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”