Fledermaus makes progress

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Fledermaus
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), French (B1), Spanish (B1), Italian (intermediate, rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19001

Fledermaus makes progress

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:06 am

I'm writing this log primarily as a day-to-day tracking tool that will motivate me, keep me on track, and show me how much time I'm putting into my languages. Hope it works! ;)

Current state of affairs

I've been learning languages in some way since I was 12 (I'm now 28), when I cluelessly bought myself course and set about learning Spanish. Since then, I've slowly improved my self-study techniques, and have studied a good number of languages to varying levels. This is a list of the ones that matter to me these days.

Spanish

The first language I studied by myself. My level hovers around a B2 on a good day. Chatting to native speakers isn't too hard, and I can understand lots of TV, podcasts and books depending on the subject. If time permits I'd like to practise a little more and expand my vocabulary somewhat, but otherwise I'm quite content with my current level (a happy B2), and don't have strong reasons or motivation to take this language much further, which is fine.

French

French was a school subject where I enjoyed myself but didn't learn tonnes. I came back to it as an adult and have taken interest in French-speaking countries, in particular Switzerland, following a wonderful trip to Geneva. I'm just about B2 and I want to expand my vocabulary and massively improve my listening comprehension when it comes to those rapidly spoken Netflix series.

German

My favourite language <3. I passed the C1 exam a few years ago and today it's around C1 with many C2 features (I reckon I could nearly pass a C2 exam but I'm not keen on taking any exams right now). I use my German daily for reading and listening to fiction, and watching TV and films. I basically just use German instead of English for my personal entertainment needs. The more vocabulary and idioms I learn, the more I find I don't know and could learn.. I want to push right into C2 territory and spend more time speaking with Germans here and abroad.

Danish

I lived in Denmark for a year and, while I learnt a lot of Danish, can't say I got as far as I would have liked. Today I have some passive knowledge around B1, and could speak it badly at a push. I intend to revive what I had on the passive side, and explore the language as a "comparative Scandinavian linguistics" project as I focus on Swedish. People say it's "buy one, get two free" on Scandinavian languages - I don't know how true that is, but it might be more doable with some knowledge of two of them.

Swedish

I actually wanted to learn Swedish long before going to Denmark. I am super interested in Scandinavia, and Scandi TV and books are my jam. I'm mostly a beginner in the language, except for the huge head-start I getting from knowing German and of course Danish. My first aim will be to manage native TV and books before working on conversation. I know it will be a long road since this is a language which demands a good level in order to be useful, but I'll enjoy the journey.

Others

I have some knowledge of a few other languages like Italian, Dutch and Portuguese. I could work on them temporarily for a planned trip, but otherwise they lie dormant.
Last edited by Fledermaus on Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

Fledermaus
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), French (B1), Spanish (B1), Italian (intermediate, rusty)

Re: Fledermaus makes progress

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:43 am

Yesterday's study

German

Reading Rotwild (original Swedish title: Dödsdansen) by Maria Grund. A chapter or so.

Finished an episode of series 1 of Dark (on Netflix). It's a bit slow at times but boasts great camera work and soundtrack.

Listened to several chapters of Bitterherz (original Norwegian title: Gutten som elsket rådyr) by Samuel Bjørk. Will likely finish that today and move on to another audiobook.

Swedish

Finished another chapter of Short Stories in Swedish by Olly Richards. The story is pretty ridiculous at the moment, but that makes it interesting. [Spoiler alert!] A character, on his first day in Stockholm, fell asleep on a packed bus, woke up in Uppsala, stayed the night in a hotel, and then got a lift back to the capital in the back of a delivery van. :)

Studied some Melissa Horn lyrics from the album Live på Cirkus. Långa nätter is my favourite.

Danish

Watched a bit of The Killing (Forbrydelsen). I don't know if I'll stick with it but if I do, it's only on BBC iPlayer for another month, could be a bit of a rush..

Future updates might be weekly depending on my busyness.
4 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:44 am

Fledermaus wrote:Danish

Watched a bit of The Killing (Forbrydelsen). I don't know if I'll stick with it but if I do, it's only on BBC iPlayer for another month, could be a bit of a rush..
If you've not yet seen it, Badehotellet (UK title: Seaside Hotel) is very funny.
1 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:42 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
Fledermaus wrote:Danish

If you've not yet seen it, Badehotellet (UK title: Seaside Hotel) is very funny.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'll note it down but I can't promise I'll get to it anytime soon. I have a rather long list of Danish series to watch or catch up on (Borgen, Borgen - Power & Glory, Rita, Hjørdis, The Chesnut Man, The Bridge, ...). Though it looks like it's on the more lighthearted side so that could be a good break from crime.
1 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 am

German

I just finished Bitterherz. It was pretty action-packed but I didn't find the ending to be that satisfactory.

I've just started listening to Das Mädchen an der Brücke (original Icelandic: Stúlkan hjá brúnni) by Arnaldur Indriðason. It's a short crime novel set in Iceland. For the first minute or so of narration, there was a repetitive atmospheric soundtrack playing behind the narrator's voice, I was relieved when that stopped. 8-)

Yesterday I was out running with my club and I was chatting to a guy whose accent was 100% German so I said "Du bist Deutscher, wenn ich mich nicht irre?" ("You're German if I'm not wrong?") but he didn't seem to hear that and the conversation petered out. I'm going to put that down to him being somewhat überfordert by the running pace, since he was quite out of breath and didn't stick with us the whole way. Honestly, I get so nervous about speaking in situations like that. I'm annoyed that it didn't turn into anything, but pleased that I actually overcame my fears and said something.

Swedish

Another chapter of short stories. These characters who are off for a walk in the woods in Dalarna, how pleasant. I was struck by how pleasant Swedish words are. I have the privilege to enjoy Swedish coming to it as an adult, whereas the natives might take the language for granted. I couldn't say that about my native English - I'm the proverbial fish who doesn't consider what water is like.

Danish

A few minutes of Forbrydelsen this morning. And now I have a random Spotify playlist on called Danske bangers. :) I find Swedish and German music more pleasant, I'm grateful for suggestions.
5 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:40 am

A pleasant weekend with a few hours of study here and there. Driving and cooking dinner provided good chances to listen to things.

German

Mainly audiobook listening (Das Mädchen an der Brücke). Not my favourite story but enough to hold my interest. Some book reading (Rotwild).

I finished another episode of Dark but I think I'm going to park the series for now. Whilst I can appreciate many aspects of the show, it's very slow moving with little happening and not much dialogue. Perhaps I don't have the patience for it, but if I can only find 30-45 mins to sit down and watch something in a typical day, I would prefer something more gripping - and more challenging.

Swedish

Short stories. This last one was a silly but entertaining.

French

Just a few pages of young adult fiction. I need to up my vocabulary game.
6 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:47 am

German

Crawling im Schneckentempo (at a snail's pace) through my audiobook. But still at least picking up some valuable language. Read some of my book.

French

Work has given us dates for a three-day offsite in Paris, yay. I probably won't need French beyond the typical tourist interactions, but it's boosted my motivation all the same.

Found some new music on Spotify. Started a notebook to write down words to look up (I already use such a notebook for German).

Watched a short Arte documentary about reconciliation (or lack thereof) in the former republics of Yugoslavia. A fascinating region with some truly awful history.

Swedish

More short stories, finished one story and started another.
6 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:43 am

German

Hastily brought my audiobook to an end, not one I'd recommend. Currently listening to the translation of The Girl on the Train as a stopgap before my new audiobooks arrive, hopefully tomorrow.

An hour of German conversation on iTalki booked for this evening. I haven't properly spoken German in a while so it will be interesting to see where I'm at (once the nerves have settled).

Swedish

A tiny bit of news reading. I can get the gist of what's going on.
5 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am

German

German conversation was a mixed bag. On one hand, I understand nearly everything the guy said and we had a stimulating conversation. On the other hand, I sometimes felt tongue-tied. I was very nervous. I have a pretty good accent in German but I often felt like I was tripping over the syllables, which is not something I'd do if I was relaxed (and perhaps prepared). I'd like to get more practice forming sentences and speaking them out loud, so that more of my large passive base can be activated.

A little bit of podcast talking about the history of Taiwan.

My new audiobooks have arrived, I'll have to pick one and get started.

General

I've been enjoying some YouTube videos by Robin MacPherson on the subject of language learning, he's given me lots of ideas for improving my speaking. Plus some motivation. Also he's so ridiculously cheerful in every video. ;)

Life is going to be very busy and without routine for the next week or so - not expecting to get much serious study done.
5 x

Fledermaus
White Belt

Postby Fledermaus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:22 pm

Over the last fews days...

German

Reading my book and reading out loud for pronunciation practice.

Spoke German with my partner (also a learner) which was beneficial for practice, but also good for a bit of privacy in her hospital room.

Podcasts. I'm revisiting an episode of Alles gesagt? ("Said everything?") with the very interesting Marina Weisband. Marina Weisband was born in Ukraine and came to Germany as a Tschernobylkind ("Chernobyl child"). She once lead the Pirate Party and today runs initiatives to improve democracy particularly by engaging young people. She also has chronic fatigue syndrome. The show goes on for as long as the interviewee wishes (often hours), and Marina has lots of fascinating things to say about Ukraine, democracy, learning, disability and more.

Swedish

Started learning a shared Anki deck with a few thousand most frequent words to really solidify my vocabulary. I was torn on going back to Anki after years of hiatus. It often feels like too much work to keep making my own cards and study so many per day, but I figured if I used shared decks for more common vocabulary, it should be worth the effort.

French

Began learning a large shared Anki deck with answers in German. Lots of idiomatic phrases I don't know.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”