Sanskrit - a log of some progressions

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Klatoan
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (2nd language), German (beginner), Sanskrit (interested).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18993

Sanskrit - a log of some progressions

Postby Klatoan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:38 pm

So, with the help of... let's see,

• a youtube video
  • google translate
  • an image representing sanskrit script (of some kind), found with duckduckgo
  • my own character recognition and intellectual ability

...I think I may have been able to write the sanskrit equivalent of "shoulders", skan-dha.

But I could be wrong. So help me, you! :lol: Because if this is wrong, I do want to know.

Edit: LIKELY WRONG ON THIS ONE, so I won't bother to upload the image. Go to Post#2 to see my 2nd attempt!

/ Klatoan
Last edited by Klatoan on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Being, trial, error, reading, thinking... just a few things that seem to have helped.

Klatoan
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (2nd language), German (beginner), Sanskrit (interested).

Sanskrit - a log of some progression again

Postby Klatoan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:45 pm

Compress_20230328_173334_4883.jpg

Well, as my posts are still monitored and kept behind the scenes, I will have to ask the moderator or administrator to merge this with my previous thread entitled Sanskrit - a log of some progression.

An invisible spirit told me that my attempt at writing a sanskrit word for shoulders, skan-dha, was no good. How about this, then?

Not that I understand what that last staff with the feathers should mean, or the role that it plays. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated, if anyone reads my log, that is. If not, I'll just stroll along my path unknowing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Klatoan on Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Being, trial, error, reading, thinking... just a few things that seem to have helped.

Klatoan
White Belt

Re: Sanskrit - a log of some progressions

Postby Klatoan » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:58 pm

Compress_20230328_233905_5589.jpg

Not sure what I'm doing, but surely I am learning.

Not sure what the bow on top of the line means.

Not sure if it's pronounced naasika, naas(a)ka, or naas-ka.

Supposed to mean nose (as a part of the human body) in sanskrit. It's näsa (naesa) in swedish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Klatoan on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:03 pm

I can read devanagari, but I can't see any of your images.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Klatoan
White Belt

Postby Klatoan » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:19 pm

jeffers wrote:I can read devanagari, but I can't see any of your images.

Hi jeffers and thanks for the comment!

I suppose you did try to long-press the image icon and choose "open in background/new tab" or something like that, and it didn't help?

Or if you are browsing from your computer, I think right-click should do the same thing, and open the menu from which in turn you can open the link.

Please post again if it doesn't work! I'm new here and I could be doing something wrong, but what I did was I uploaded my handwriting to imgur, and then I inserted the link within "Img" formatting.

Edit: I have also uploaded the pictures since then. Not sure how much space I have, so I guess I will keep doing both methods - links and uploads - for the time being.
Last edited by Klatoan on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Klatoan
White Belt

Postby Klatoan » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:29 pm

Compress_20230328_234515_5004.jpg

Namaste (Hallo!), of course, just wondering if the feather turns the sound "ta" into "te", or if there is some other kind of magic doing it.

Last edited by Klatoan on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Klatoan
White Belt

Postby Klatoan » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:34 pm

Compress_20230328_235242_2978.jpg

Last word for today, and it's half past midnight, so here's the word for the first person singular, I: Aham.

Last edited by Klatoan on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Sanskrit - a log of some progression again

Postby jeffers » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:45 am

Klatoan wrote:Not that I understand what that last staff with the feathers should mean, or the role that it plays. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated, if anyone reads my log, that is. If not, I'll just stroll along my path unknowing.

The "staff with feathers" is an ow or au kind of sound. My Hindi teacher called them flags. Two flags on the staff is the ow sound, a single flag is a pure "O" sound.

The tricky thing with Devanagari vowels is that a different version of the vowel is attached to the consonant if is pronounced with the vowel. This version of the vowel is called a Matra (मात्रा) in Hindi. So the vowel in question on its own (e.g. at the start of a word or start of a syllable) looks like औ , but you only use the flags and staff when adding it to a consonant. Also, any consonant without a matra gets the short A matra by default. In Hindi, this is missed out between syllables and at the end of words, but in Sanskrit it is always pronounced unless indicated otherwise. Which is why you get the name "Krishna" and "Raama" in Sanskrit but in Hindi it's pronounced "Krishn" (which sort of becomes "Krishan") and "Raam".

Klatoan wrote:Not sure what the bow on top of the line means.

Not sure if it's pronounced naasika, naas(a)ka, or naas-ka.

It's pronounced "naasika". The "bow on top" is part of the short E vowel, drawn like: ि. The matra for the long E goes to the right of the consonant, and the short E goes ahead of the consonant. So की is pronounced like English "key", whereas कि should actually be pronounced with the same vowel sound as की but shorter in duration, more truncated. In effect, this often changes to a sound like the short i in "fish", but but that isn't quite right. This, incidentally, is why some people will tell you that "Sikh" should be pronounced like English "sick" rather than "seek", but that's not actually correct.

Klatoan wrote:Namaste (Hallo!), of course, just wondering if the feather turns the sound "ta" into "te", or if there is some other kind of magic doing it.

The feather is is the matra for the pure "A" sound. The full vowel is ए. Two feathers would be sort of "ai". Confusingly, the full vowel for this is the "A" but with a single feather: ऐ.

EDIT:
I missed your post with aham अहम् Notice that little stroke at the bottom of the M म? It is called a "halanta" and is the symbol which indicates the consonant should not be followed by the vowel A. In Hindi it is just called "halant", but in Sanskrit you say the A because it doesn't have a halanta. The symbol can also be used to join consonants in place of writing them in conjunct form, e.g. kya could be written क्या or क् या. There shouldn't be a space between क् and या but when I join them up windows automatically creates the conjunct form for क.
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Klatoan
White Belt

Postby Klatoan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:03 pm

It's really special that you took the time to respond, jeffers!

I am not quite ready to digest all of what you wrote, but I will come back to it and read it again, god willing.

If you know an online resource (or any resource for that matter) that will read out loud letters and words in sanskrit on demand, then that would be great, especially if it's coupled with a translation engine. Google Translate does not read sanskrit out loud, as far as I am aware, and so, if I want to translate something to sanskrit, I am left with the sanskrit word/phrase and a table of the script. I can get an idea of the sounds, but at my low level of understanding, it doesn't tell me how exactly the word/phrase is correctly pronounced. I suppose an A sound of sorts between consonants is the most common thing. Having the option of listening to someone would make it possible to practice pronounciation while leaving some of the technical details of the script for later.

Also, is there another relevant script from the outside perspective on sanskrit? I hope not. :lol: It just seems like a good idea to have an idea of what I am doing before I order books that may be using a script that realistically I have no use for.
2 x

Klatoan
White Belt

Postby Klatoan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:57 pm

20230326_154840 - edited.jpg

Tell if I'm wrong, but I am guessing that is pronounced something like this:

yaushash dauv aasita

And it should mean "Jesus is god."
1 x

Return to “Language logs”