A stroll through modern Greek

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: A stroll through modern Greek

Postby tastyonions » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:30 am

I managed to get all my reviews in yesterday.

This morning I did Lesson 49, an επανάληψη (= review) lesson. The bulk of this one was about verbs, specifically laying out more systematically the forms of aorist and imperfect that have been coming up in recent lessons, which led to me seeing some heartening regularities I hadn't noted before. Though this lesson's notes were extensive the review dialogue itself was pretty easy.

Also looked over Lessons 39, 29, and 19.

Seven unbroken weeks of Greek study!

Total study time: 48 hours, 15 minutes
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:35 pm

Lesson 50 today, Το νόστιμο φαγητό της γιαγιάς (= Grandmother's tasty food). Halfway through the "passive phase!"

The word παραδοσιακός (pa.ra.ðo.sja.'kos) trips me up a bit: it looks like it should mean "paradoxical" or something similar but means "traditional." (Paradoxical = παράδοξος (pa.'ra.ðo.ksos)).

The corresponding noun, η παράδοση, has an interesting array of meanings (from Wiktionary):

1. delivery (of goods, parcels, etc)
2. tradition
3. (military) surrender
4. (education) lecture

Lesson 1 of the active phase was a piece of cake since it's just a couple sentences.

Total study time: 49 hours, 30 minutes
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:11 am

Lesson 51 today, Μια εύκολη συνταγή (= A simple recipe). Pretty easy lesson, some new vocabulary for food and food prep, and some interesting notes on the verb θέτω (= to place) and its derivatives. Also reviewed Lessons 41, 31, and 21. Lesson 2 of the active phase was super simple of course.

Still loving Greek. :-)

Total study time: 50 hours, 30 minutes
5 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:33 pm

Sample tests and videos for all levels of the Ελληνομάθεια (Ellinomatheia) CEFR level-based exams for Greek:

https://www.greek-language.gr/certifica ... de/12.html

Not something I have in my sights any time soon but who knows, it could be motivating to set a lofty goal (C1/Γ1 in 2025?) and try to meet it.
5 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:53 am

Lesson 52 today, Πάρτε έναν υπνάκο! (= Take a nap!). Vocabulary and expressions talking about habitual actions. This one was pretty tough, a number of new verbs. Reviewed Lessons 42, 32, 22 as well. Active phase (Lesson 3) continues to be super easy so far. :-)

Total study time: 52 hours
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:55 am

Γεια σας φίλοι μου! (Hello, my friends.)

Don't worry, I haven't given up on Greek or anything. I was finding that I hadn't retained as much from recent lessons as I'd have liked, so I "rewound" by a few weeks in Assimil (currently on Lesson 35) and switched up my reviewing pattern. This process isn't exactly the most interesting, which is why I haven't been writing anything about it. My study hour totals at the end of recent days were:

April 2: 53 hours, 15 minutes
April 3: 54 hours, 30 minutes
April 4: 55 hours, 45 minutes
April 5: 57 hours
April 6: 58 hours, 15 minutes

Onward and upward!
8 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:48 pm

Ooh, I found a nice YouTube science channel, Καθημερινή Φυσική ("Daily Physics") that looks like it could be fun. All the videos I've looked at so far have Greek subtitles, too:

https://www.youtube.com/@kathimerinifysiki/videos

A lot of it seems to be spoken pretty quickly so it's too challenging for me at the moment, but I subscribed anyway. :-)
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:50 pm

I have just listened to 9 minutes in Greek with Greek subtitles about the invention of writing. :lol: That channel is just the thing I needed to train my listening skills, so thank you for the link!
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:11 pm

I'm on lesson 44 in Assimil today, which is about where I feel my understanding started faltering a while ago. I feel much more confident this time through and am glad that I went back and "retraced my steps," so to speak. I've been quite diligent about adding cards to Anki.

Total time spent on Greek: about 69 hours
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:53 am

Still chugging right along. Lesson 47 today!

Total study time for Greek: 73 hours

Yesterday I unexpectedly had the chance to speak Spanish twice after not speaking it for years. In the first instance the woman seemed grateful not to have to rely on Google Translate (she said, "Sorry, no speak English" and started taking out her phone immediately when I first addressed her in English). It had been quite a while since I'd used any TL but French actively. There was definitely some rust on my Spanish (for example the word "sinistra" came to me instead of "izquierda") but it felt like it wouldn't take long for it to fall off.

Also my wife and I are watching a show with a few scenes in Romanian and they kind of want me to check out that language. One thing at a time, though...

:lol:
4 x

Return to “Language logs”