Dane learning French (and English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Dane learning French (and English)

Postby Xenops » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:11 pm

fromaalborg1 wrote:Hmm. Lost access to my old account. But I am still learning French.

Finished Learn French with Paul Noble for Beginners (audio) and Ma France (TV).

Perhaps one of the mods or rdearman could access it for you?
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

fromaalborg1
White Belt
Languages: Danish (native), English (fluent), French (learning)

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Xenops wrote:
fromaalborg1 wrote:Hmm. Lost access to my old account. But I am still learning French.

Finished Learn French with Paul Noble for Beginners (audio) and Ma France (TV).

Perhaps one of the mods or rdearman could access it for you?

Maybe. The reset did not work. But my email address was taken this time. Just don't want to bother with it.

---

Inspired by the user Stell, I also started using Clozemaster. I feel like it gives me access to more advanced sentences in French, in a sort of cheating way.
1 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:49 pm

I thought I would not end up watching dubbed content, but it has outcompeted original French video-content, when it comes to entertainment. So I ended up watching the Harry Potter film series in the following way:
1: French audio and subtitles. Too hard to follow, even though I knew the story
2-3: English audio and French subtitles. Did not get much reading comprehension out of this.
4-8: French audio and English subtitles. Best option.

Might watch 1-3 again at a later time under different settings.
3 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:38 pm

I have more or less gone through all the French Duolingo podcast episodes. There is an annoying amount of identity politics for my taste, but the content is of high quality and free, so I guess I should not complain.
3 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sun May 07, 2023 8:29 pm

Found a new app that I like, Memrise. Oddly, you have to rely on user-generated content to get what I want ("no typing").

So now a good app-day will look like this:
1 Duolingo lesson (maintenance)
30 Clozemaster sentences
1+ Memrise lessons

---
Listened to some 80s japanese city pop on Youtube, and it is literally siren songs. Like, I want to start learning Japanese even though I know it is very hard, unlikely to be useful, and I have plenty on my plate already. Oh well, hopefully the urge goes away soon.
4 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sun May 14, 2023 7:52 pm

I have now finished all Duolingo French episodes. I'm not sure whether I should relisten or find another beginner/intermediate podcast. I accept recommendations!

Also I am happy to report a major improvement which happened during this week. If I am listening to French radio, I used to be able to understand one word per sentence. My comprehension has now jumped to 2-3 words per sentence.
4 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sat May 20, 2023 3:54 pm

Saw the first three episodes of Extra French with French subtitles and I actually understood most of it. I consider this a big success. Of course it's edutainment, but still.

I also listened to the first episode of Innerfrench. I could not follow along, but I understood many of the words.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat May 20, 2023 4:17 pm

fromaalborg1 wrote:Also I am happy to report a major improvement which happened during this week. If I am listening to French radio, I used to be able to understand one word per sentence. My comprehension has now jumped to 2-3 words per sentence.

Two years ago I had this with Spanish, but kept on listening while doing all my other stuff and little by little it came clear. And Spanish-speaking radio can get really rapid at times. I think that with French the heavy liaison thwarts a lot of people in the beginning.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sat May 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Le Baron wrote:
fromaalborg1 wrote:Also I am happy to report a major improvement which happened during this week. If I am listening to French radio, I used to be able to understand one word per sentence. My comprehension has now jumped to 2-3 words per sentence.

Two years ago I had this with Spanish, but kept on listening while doing all my other stuff and little by little it came clear. And Spanish-speaking radio can get really rapid at times. I think that with French the heavy liaison thwarts a lot of people in the beginning.

Yes, this slows me down a bit. I would be able to sort of guess a cognate word like "essayer" (to try), but many times they slap a consonant sound in front of it, and suddenly I can't make the connection.
0 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt

Postby fromaalborg1 » Mon May 22, 2023 8:12 pm

I have listened to the two first chapters of Harry Potter 1. First in English, then in French. I like this method. The only downside is that I have to do it back-to-back, which means setting aside approximately one hour per chapter for this one activity in a day.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”